Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Stored bike run for the first time in a month, 8-mile ride up a hill. I change the oil more often than every six months because it only has 1.5 quarts (separate gearbox and primary). This came out of the breather:

This happens every month I store it and then ride it a few weeks later, and this was in the PNW. I don't have a picture but this same poo poo is on the top half of the dipstick of the CB650 if I do the same thing during the winter (but not out of the breather because it has a recapturing design, unlike the Enfield). When I ride the bike it is my daily driver for weeks at a time, with trips >10 miles, so it definitely warms up. All I'm saying is that if you're in any kind of climate other than Arizona and the bike sometimes get run infrequently, then you should change the oil more often. Don't understand why you're disagreeing with me.

Well poo poo me. I've never seen anything like that before in either Ontario or the UK. I've always had relatively modern bikes though, so maybe there's something to that. I commute 10 miles of motorway each way and sometimes my bike has sat outside not running for weeks at a time. The Pegaso heated up fine, but the Multi is air cooled and in winter barely registers a temperature by the time I get to work. I'm a little worried about the Multi now, it's currently parked in my garage unheated while I'm away. It needs a service when I get back, I was going to get it done before I left but now I'm kind of glad I had to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My short, milkshake inducing commute was over 4 years and 40k miles ago. The engine still runs fine and has minimal visible wear when I take it apart for valve adjustments so I don't think it's a big issue as long as you keep up on your oil changes.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

Stored bike run for the first time in a month, 8-mile ride up a hill. I change the oil more often than every six months because it only has 1.5 quarts (separate gearbox and primary). This came out of the breather:

This happens every month I store it and then ride it a few weeks later, and this was in the PNW. I don't have a picture but this same poo poo is on the top half of the dipstick of the CB650 if I do the same thing during the winter (but not out of the breather because it has a recapturing design, unlike the Enfield). When I ride the bike it is my daily driver for weeks at a time, with trips >10 miles, so it definitely warms up. All I'm saying is that if you're in any kind of climate other than Arizona and the bike sometimes get run infrequently, then you should change the oil more often. Don't understand why you're disagreeing with me.

At least your chain got a free and effortless lube job?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Geirskogul posted:

Did you ever consider that you're getting moisture in the breather and it combines with the oil on the way out?

You can definitely get moisture buildup, but just ride the bike every so often to get the temp high enough and it'll be fine. I've had multiple bikes that have had that sort of buildup in the oil and the engines have still gone 50k-100k+ miles.

The other thing is that if your dipstick is protected from the normal flow of at the top, there's no point where that condensation can really go anywhere, because it's just going to stick there. I found a similar sort of sludge in the oil cap of the multistrada 620, despite it regularly getting fully up to oil temp, because water got trapped in the stupid design of the oil cap and it didn't ever get cleaned out by hot, fresh oil.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 14, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

Did you ever consider that you're getting moisture in the breather and it combines with the oil on the way out?

That looks pretty emulsified, dunno if just running through a moist breather tube would cause that. It's possible it's getting in that way though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SaNChEzZ posted:

That looks pretty emulsified, dunno if just running through a moist breather tube would cause that. It's possible it's getting in that way though.

I've seen it happen on bikes with open breathers before, which is why I mentioned it.

Plus, a Royal Enfield is really not in any meaningful way similar in standards of construction to a modern bike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

this was in the PNW

Now, I live on the west coast of Norway so I know all about salty weather running in from the west, but my bike has been treated worse yet fairs better than yours. Either there is a lactic devil slipping his oilfouling frappucino into your breather when noone sees or something very different is at play. I just don't but that a regional chemical chance in fuel and oil, causes so drastic differences in forlorn bikes. I think it must be ... MURDER

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Z3n posted:

I've seen it happen on bikes with open breathers before, which is why I mentioned it.

Plus, a Royal Enfield is really not in any meaningful way similar in standards of construction to a modern bike.

The breather itself is sealed with a PCV-style (not a PCV valve itself, but a completely closed steel spring flapper valve) valve that keeps outside air out and only opens on the downstroke. That mayo-like substance can be found on the upper halves of both the CB650 (old, I know) and Enfield (older, I know) oil dipsticks after sitting for a month, and this was in northern Idaho. After riding daily for a few days on either bike, the mayo substance disappears.

The Enfield only pukes out poo poo like that when there's gooey mayo in the upper half of the oil tank. When it's all gone, the oil can drain back down even with the pressure of operation before it gets puked out. When the mayo is there, it clogs the breather like a smoker's aorta and prevents drainage back down. The CB650's breather design doesn't allow that to happen, as it's on the valve cover where constant flow of oil keeps it from building up. It's still there, though, unless it's brought up to temp fully for awhile every now and again, and it gets worse on both bikes with repeated short trips.

It was just a suggestion, and I was asked for proof because thought it "was an urban legend." :shrug:

Ola posted:

Now, I live on the west coast of Norway so I know all about salty weather running in from the west, but my bike has been treated worse yet fairs better than yours. Either there is a lactic devil slipping his oilfouling frappucino into your breather when noone sees or something very different is at play. I just don't but that a regional chemical chance in fuel and oil, causes so drastic differences in forlorn bikes. I think it must be ... MURDER

It can happen in any engine, even with cars, that experience repeated short, not-fully-hot trips. Moisture will condense in the engine airspaces as it cools. It's all up to how the engine design and the operator treat it to decide where it goes. The only reason it's so obvious on the Enfield is because of its old design. Newer designs flush it out and boil it off much more quickly, but it can still happen. I was just suggesting changing oil every six months or so on a motorcycle as a precaution; it's not like I was asking people to kill their goddamn firstborn. As Z3n said, moisture-mayo is a thing that happens, and I'm saying that it's just yet another reason to change the oil on a schedule if you're not sure of the condition of it, as in the original example (not ridden since May until now).

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 15, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The Buell XBs are prone to develop a milkshake primary and gearbox; it has an open gearbox breather and the gearbox/primary oil is separate from the crankcase oil so it takes longer to warm up and boil it off.

It happens when you short trip it and whip the oil up with the moisture. If it's being stored and not run, it won't be a problem.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

The breather itself is sealed with a PCV-style (not a PCV valve itself, but a completely closed steel spring flapper valve) valve that keeps outside air out and only opens on the downstroke. That mayo-like substance can be found on the upper halves of both the CB650 (old, I know) and Enfield (older, I know) oil dipsticks after sitting for a month, and this was in northern Idaho. After riding daily for a few days on either bike, the mayo substance disappears.

The Enfield only pukes out poo poo like that when there's gooey mayo in the upper half of the oil tank. When it's all gone, the oil can drain back down even with the pressure of operation before it gets puked out. When the mayo is there, it clogs the breather like a smoker's aorta and prevents drainage back down. The CB650's breather design doesn't allow that to happen, as it's on the valve cover where constant flow of oil keeps it from building up. It's still there, though, unless it's brought up to temp fully for awhile every now and again, and it gets worse on both bikes with repeated short trips.

It was just a suggestion, and I was asked for proof because thought it "was an urban legend." :shrug:

It can happen in any engine, even with cars, that experience repeated short, not-fully-hot trips. Moisture will condense in the engine airspaces as it cools. It's all up to how the engine design and the operator treat it to decide where it goes. The only reason it's so obvious on the Enfield is because of its old design. Newer designs flush it out and boil it off much more quickly, but it can still happen. I was just suggesting changing oil every six months or so on a motorcycle as a precaution; it's not like I was asking people to kill their goddamn firstborn. As Z3n said, moisture-mayo is a thing that happens, and I'm saying that it's just yet another reason to change the oil on a schedule if you're not sure of the condition of it, as in the original example (not ridden since May until now).

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is I think this happens regardless...the design of the bike is what determines how obvious it is. If you have a crankcase design that doesn't really let oil out through a breather, then it's really difficult to detect this sort of thing - it's the older designs that make it really obvious. It seems like it's an alarming thing, but ultimately doesn't really affect the lubrication qualities of the oil.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Thanks for the advice on the last page gents. I am keeping the chain lubed and keeping an eye on all the basic maintenance stuff, and will take it for a full oil change shortly anyway.

With the mud I was more worried I may need to clean and degrease the chain, but it seems I was overreacting which is good to know!

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
How can I stop my chain from rusting?
Right bike is sitting under a bike cover outside on tiled patio and I noticed yesterday a bunch of surface rust on the chain from rain splashing back (since it was just on the bottom half of the chain). I wiped the chain down with a ton of lube and wiped off the worst of the rust on the outside of the links but its all over the rollers too. I'm thinking of getting a brush and trying to remove the worst of the rust on the rollers and then just liberally applying more lube, motor oil or such.

I have some CLP for cleaning firearms that I don't use or care about wasting, and I've read its meant to remove/prevent rust. I'm a little hesitant putting anything but lube on there in case it eats away at o-rings.

This is a brand new chain with less than 300 miles on it at this point. We will hopefully be moving into a new place within the next ~2 months where it will live in a shed, but until then I don't want it rusting away. There isn't any other rust I can see on the bike elsewhere.
Even the brake rotors just have a very slight patina so not sure why the chain is rusting this badly.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GanjamonII posted:

How can I stop my chain from rusting?

Apply plenty of lube and ride as often as possible.

Don't worry about the rust on the rollers, it'll be gone literally in seconds once you ride the bike. Make sure you actually apply the lube to the rollers, every other part of the chain is lubed internally from the factory, but the rollers should always have a thin coating of lube on them.

Perhaps the chain lube you're using is too thin. I use cheap-rear end SAE50 motor oil with good results, I know Z3n uses gear oil that's probably right around the same viscosity.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 15, 2013

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Why not just use a heavy coat of chain wax over the winter and switch back to a normal teflon lube or whatever come riding season?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Awful advice in this thread recently.

What you're gonna want to do is remove your chain and bring it inside for the winter. Keep it in a warm, dry place, and periodically hook it up to a battery tender.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

What you're gonna want to do is remove your chain and bring it inside for the winter. Keep it in a warm, dry place, and periodically hook it up to a battery tender.

Don't leave it on the concrete cause the concrete discharges the chain! :byodame:

But seriously...some rust on the side plates is no big deal. You can use some gear or motor oil, pour some in a rag, akd give the entire chain a light coat and it'll keep it from rusting.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

nsaP posted:

Winter is the best time to bring the chain indoors for a complete strip and rebuild. Just pick up some replacement rivets, punch out the old ones and soak each link in a mix of wintergreen oil and acetone. You don't want to cross-contaminate the links though, so soak each one separately. Protip: use some old ice trays to keep them in their own cleansing bath.

Once they have soaked for at least 24 hours, you can polish them up and rebuild the chain.

Because the links wear in reference to each other, it's super important to keep the links in order. Use a sharp scratch awl to number each one, since a Sharpie mark will rub off during the polishing stage.

HTH

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I've been throwing mine in a rock polisher for years and haven't had the slightest problem.

With the chains, the stupid rock polishers keep breaking.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
^^
I do this too.

edit: not whatever z3n is saying - the thing before that.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Motorcycle specific chains, much like the tyres, are a conspiracy to gently caress over the little man.

Chainsaw chains of the correct pitch and width will do the job fine and can be had from many agricultural machinery suppliers.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I just ignore the fact that I have a chain. It reduces maintenance and I don't think rust is an issue either (because I never look you see). I know it's time to replace it when it flys off and wraps around my calf at freeway speeds.

You guys over complicate everything, jeeze.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah if Obamacare is going to force me to get health insurance I'm going to show them by not replacing my chain until it does grievous trauma to my body. Take that, communism. :911:

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I tried hooking the chain up to my batter tender in my in-laws kitchen. I think I did something wrong though because now that outlet doesn't work and the battery tender light is just flashing red no matter what I plug it into.

Maybe it was because I put the chain into a tray of used motor oil at the time? I don't know, motorcycles suck, I think I am done with riding.

(rereading that original post yes it is pretty stupid question to ask)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You should really coat your entire vehicle in cosmoline when you aren't riding it. Haha, I had to clean a bunch of that stuff off a Porsche 914 that had been stored for 25 years. Too bad it didn't keep the mice out.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

GanjamonII posted:

(rereading that original post yes it is pretty stupid question to ask)

Nah man I would be annoyed by chain rusting too.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bugdrvr posted:

I just ignore the fact that I have a chain. It reduces maintenance and I don't think rust is an issue either (because I never look you see). I know it's time to replace it when it flys off and wraps around my calf at freeway speeds.

You guys over complicate everything, jeeze.

Nah, it usually just fires off down the road behind you.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SaNChEzZ posted:

Instinct tells me it's the wormgear in your speedo pickup, or the cable itself. My CX500 whined like a crying baby when the speedo was on it's way out.

Oh, tachometer. Nevermind, unless it's some funky mechanical tach thing.

Spot on with the cable diagnosis--took a closer look at the cables to discover that the one to the tach is loose. Pushed the cable in and tightened up the collar, easiest fix in the world. Everything works fine now! Thanks for the help identifying it!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Coredump posted:

Nah man I would be annoyed by chain rusting too.

Same here. Belts are better.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Shaft supremacy :smug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

slidebite posted:

Shaft supremacy :smug:

Yes, we all know what you think.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Riddle me this - what's that yellow stuff weeping from the breather?

Pretty sure it isn't an emulsion, I took the photo after riding through the desert for 3 days and the bike doesn't run any coolant. Does Castrol synthetic oil suck?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

slidebite posted:

Shaft supremacy randomly getting stuck with a broken final drive somewhere in the middle of nowhere supremecy :smith:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

Pretty sure it isn't an emulsion, I took the photo after riding through the desert for 3 days and the bike doesn't run any coolant. Does Castrol synthetic oil suck?

That's what my car's breather gunk looks like. :raise: I wouldn't think much of it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

buell.jpeg teamed with buell.txt all in one post! :v:

It won't be the type of oil. Seems pretty normal, though I'm hard pressed to come up with a scientific explanation for it being there. Catch it in bottle!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

I'm going to hijack this photo and ask whether it's important that both springs are on the exhaust? It seems I have only one.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I cleaned the poo poo out of my bike for winter prep. Are all these rags coated in super heavy grease/grime/simple green/engine degreaser machine washable or should I just toss em?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think they're washable, you just don't wanna wash em along with anything nice.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Put double the amount of detergent in and don't use softener (never use softener on thing you want to be absorbent), job done. Oh you might want to run a rinse or two through the machine with it empty just to get rid of any nasties left lurking in the filter.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Or, since you can buy a bundle of rags for like $1 or just cut up some old tee shirts, toss 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Safety Dance posted:

Or, since you can buy a bundle of rags for like $1 or just cut up some old tee shirts, toss 'em.

Yeah, I go through enough cotton undershirts that I just use those.

If something was suffused with grease or any particularly odorous chemicals, I wouldn't run it in my personal washer. If I wasn't just tossing it I'd take it to a laundromat (probably not) or wash it by hand.