Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Hadlock posted:

Cyanogenmod already has 4.4-based versions out?

Not officially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Geirskogul posted:

Samsung Epic 4G, Cyanogenmod to 4.3, latest Awful beta. After the latest update, on about half of the threads I view, there is a black square that takes up the top left quadrant of the screen whenever I enter a thread. The square extends to the midline of the screen, so it usually ends up covering up a person's avatar and the left half of their post, or at least the first few sentences. I can scroll past it, but it reappears wherever I enter a thread (view last read post makes it appear at the first new post at the top of the screen when the app jumps to it).

I don't have this issue on my Note 10.1 (2013) with a 4.4 version of Cyanogenmod.

Screenshots please.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you go into a thread with YouTube embedded into a post, the page will constantly reload and jump around.

I think this is an Android 4.4 bug as it never happened on 4.3.

I'm running Android 4.4 on the 2013 Nexus 7 with the latest beta of Awful.

Yep I'm encountering this issue with 4.4 on the 2012 Nexus 7, android šŸ˜µ

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you go into a thread with YouTube embedded into a post, the page will constantly reload and jump around.

I think this is an Android 4.4 bug as it never happened on 4.3.

I'm running Android 4.4 on the 2013 Nexus 7 with the latest beta of Awful.

I came here to see if anyone else is experiencing this. I'm running stock Android 4.4 with no root on my 2012 Nexus 7, and I'm seeing the exact same thing.
edit: I see it's just disabled for kit-kat now. Whatever works!

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 15, 2013

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Mogomra posted:

I came here to see if anyone else is experiencing this. I'm running stock Android 4.4 with no root on my 2012 Nexus 7, and I'm seeing the exact same thing.

This is a known 4.4 issue with embedded YouTube videos.

Right now the workaround is going to settings and disabling "Embedded videos"

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
Just out of curiosity, why can't we start threads in the app?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I pushed out an update to the beta earlier that replaces the embeds with a new version of the fake youtube links.
I also fixed the thread link in the settings afaict and the avatar/emot fix from yesterday is in it.

numbs posted:

Remember when the app used to post replies into the wrong thread? Yeaaaah.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

numbs posted:

It was decided that high quality OP's couldn't / wouldn't be created on mobile. That said, your phone has a web browser, so go nuts there.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

WienerDog posted:

It was decided that high quality OP's couldn't / wouldn't be created on mobile. That said, your phone has a web browser, so go nuts there.

Make it so you can only create threads in gbs 2.1

Problem solved!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

WienerDog posted:

This is what we used to say about the iOS version, in all honesty it's just a cop out.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The Dave posted:

This is what we used to say about the iOS version, in all honesty it's just a cop out.

Yeah while I still stand by that point, since then both iOS as well as W8 Awful have implemented thread posting and the forums aren't (much) more terrible than before.

It's on the list but since there are currently not many people working on the app (and I want a few things done before that like post previews) it might take a while.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'd rather have previews like 400,000,000x more than the ability to create a thread. Maybe 500,000,000x.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would prefer a better "dark" theme included (wider text column, etc) by default, rather than the ability to create threads. Or a better PM interface, or better emote selection (like a search function) or a hundred other things before I need the ability to create threads in what's primarily a reader app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I would prefer a better "dark" theme included (wider text column, etc) by default, rather than the ability to create threads.
I strongly disagree with "widening" the text, the card interface and whitespace makes things so much more readable than the old way. It would be nice if dark/light themes toggled by reading the ambient light sensor when the app launched though.

Hadlock posted:

Or a better PM interface,
The PM is quite nice now. It would be better if it respected the text size the user can specify in the Settings but other than that it's more than adequate. What do you feel needs to be done?

Hadlock posted:

or better emote selection (like a search function)
It has a search function now though? Opening the emotes crashes the app for me right now though, report sent. For Sereri: GIFs enabled, Nexus 5 on stock 4.4, Dalvik RT.

Hadlock posted:

or a hundred other things before I need the ability to create threads in what's primarily a reader app.
I agree with this sentiment.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I strongly disagree with "widening" the text, the card interface and whitespace makes things so much more readable than the old way. It would be nice if dark/light themes toggled by reading the ambient light sensor when the app launched though.

The screen on my Nexus S is the same size as a credit card. It doesn't need to be any more narrow. I'm sure the existing theme is great on a 4.5" screen or 5" screen.

Dark theme saves a ton of battery power on (S)AMOLED screens

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hadlock posted:

The screen on my Nexus S is the same size as a credit card. It doesn't need to be any more narrow. I'm sure the existing theme is great on a 4.5" screen or 5" screen.

Dark theme saves a ton of battery power on (S)AMOLED screens
The nexus S is three years old, dude. It was unusable a year ago (I know, I had to deal with one). Burn a subsidy or all that money you saved on a value plan to buy a modern device. The MotoG is faster than a SGS4 and $180 off contract come January and the Nexus 5 is $350, on contract there are plenty of free good devices.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

For Sereri: GIFs enabled, Nexus 5 on stock 4.4, Dalvik RT.

Yeah I had noticed that too, couldn't figure out why it was happening. Turns out the switch to Gradle and Maven made it compile with an older version of a certain library. The bug in case was fixed 4 days later but never pushed to Maven Central. It appears to be working now and is currently going out to beta. If nothing else is critically broken (ignoring P2R for the moment) this'll hit the market.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 16, 2013

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

LastInLine posted:

The nexus S is three years old, dude. It was unusable a year ago (I know, I had to deal with one). Burn a subsidy or all that money you saved on a value plan to buy a modern device. The MotoG is faster than a SGS4 and $180 off contract come January and the Nexus 5 is $350, on contract there are plenty of free good devices.

Considering that it's a matter of shipping one more style sheet, I think it's a reasonable request. As opposed to buying a new phone because you don't like the way an app looks.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Any plans to implement the new full-screen mode in KitKat? I would love to read threads with all the system and app bars hidden. Thanks for keeping the app updated either way. Its by far my most used app that's not communication-based.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

therobotking posted:

Any plans to implement the new full-screen mode in KitKat? I would love to read threads with all the system and app bars hidden. Thanks for keeping the app updated either way. Its by far my most used app that's not communication-based.

Glimm made a version with it but it still has a few kinks. Basically any time a menu or dialog pops out it leaves fullscreen mode. It's currently at a stage where I would disable it by default and bury a switch for it in the settings somewhere.

ArcMage: Have you tried building a theme by modifying the classic version? Seems to be closer to what you want in the first place.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Is their any way to disable sigs inside the app? Gbs 2.1 is killing my phone.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Theparker posted:

Is their any way to disable sigs inside the app? Gbs 2.1 is killing my phone.

I don't know about the app, but you can disable them globally in your forums user control panel which will remove them from both the app and the website.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Sereri posted:

Glimm made a version with it but it still has a few kinks. Basically any time a menu or dialog pops out it leaves fullscreen mode. It's currently at a stage where I would disable it by default and bury a switch for it in the settings somewhere.

ArcMage: Have you tried building a theme by modifying the classic version? Seems to be closer to what you want in the first place.

I built arc.dark.css and people seem to like it. I wasn't the one asking for a new dark theme.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ArcMage posted:

I built arc.dark.css and people seem to like it. I wasn't the one asking for a new dark theme.

Cool, I attempted to fork and then do a pull request (I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to GitHub) for your arc.dark.css

https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/pull/265

LastInLine posted:

Ok I ordered a Nexus 5 16GB, it will be here on Tuesday. I will let you know how that goes.

However there are lots of users stuck on 4" screens and that form factor isn't going away anytime soon. Mini-flagships S4 mini and HTC one mini are 4.4 and 4.3" respectively.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 17, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Ok I ordered a Nexus 5 16GB, it will be here on Tuesday. I will let you know how that goes.
Wow, that's the first time that's worked... I... didn't really have a plan for a next step at this point.

I think you'll like it though. :)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ArcMage posted:

I was referring to this:

ArcMage posted:

Whatever you did with the post options menu, it now looks like butt. :saddowns:

http://www.imgur.com/Xztj5GT.png

Also you slapped a bunch of huge margins into the header again.

In any case, I have no idea how to CSS, and can't find where to adjust the post options menu; if you could tell me which damnable block(s) define it that would be wonderful.

Unless that is what you did in the first place.

Hadlock posted:

Cool, I attempted to fork and then do a pull request (I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to GitHub) for your arc.dark.css

https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/pull/265

I think that is the (now broken) version from October?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

With dark theme selected, replying in landscape mode shows a white entry box.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

peepsalot posted:

With dark theme selected, replying in landscape mode shows a white entry box.

That's your keyboard. I don't think we can control that.

/e: You know what, never mind. I can disable that it uses the keyboard's input field style.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 17, 2013

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Sereri posted:

I was referring to this:
Oh. No, I built it from dark.css. If I attempted to build from default.css it gave me a whit4e forums/bookmarks screen, and there was nothing I could do about it. Same thing happened when I tried building from a POS theme.
If you're trying to use the css from my gdoc, I need to update that, or Sereri posted a fixed version which could be used, too.

e: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5s7dn0NW5g8RXBwRmZNeG9lRzQ/edit?usp=docslist_api

There's been some argument about whether people want the display stretched to screen margins or left in cards; personally, I like it stretched, so that's what my theme does. I'm really awful with css, and have no idea what I'm doing, though, so some bits remain ugly.

Sorry.

:sigh:

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 18, 2013

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Sereri posted:

Yeah I had noticed that too, couldn't figure out why it was happening. Turns out the switch to Gradle and Maven made it compile with an older version of a certain library. The bug in case was fixed 4 days later but never pushed to Maven Central. It appears to be working now and is currently going out to beta. If nothing else is critically broken (ignoring P2R for the moment) this'll hit the market.

Is this the change to the android-query dependency? I can't build the current code in GitHub without uncommenting the android-query dependency import - I thought I'd update my fork and figure out how gradle/Android Studio work - neither "gradle build" nor using Android Studio to build work without this import.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

JingleBells posted:

Is this the change to the android-query dependency? I can't build the current code in GitHub without uncommenting the android-query dependency import - I thought I'd update my fork and figure out how gradle/Android Studio work - neither "gradle build" nor using Android Studio to build work without this import.

Yes that is the one. I downloaded the jar from the projects website and put it in the /libs folder. It should be caught by the compile fileTree(dir: 'libs', include: '*.jar').

I haven't seen anything else crash because of the bug so removing it and uncommenting the line should be alright for your debug builds.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Another odd bug. Android 4.3, latest beta/whatever was pushed to market yesterday, default theme. Happens on other themes too but it's easiest to show on a white background.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

nimper posted:

Another odd bug. Android 4.3, latest beta/whatever was pushed to market yesterday, default theme. Happens on other themes too but it's easiest to show on a white background.

Can you turn on/off gif disabling and see if it has something to do with that?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

nimper posted:

This is what I was talking about in my earlier post, except the black square is on the let side of my screen. Enabling/disabling gifs doesn't change, even after a cache flush.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

LastInLine posted:

Wow, that's the first time that's worked... I... didn't really have a plan for a next step at this point.

I think you'll like it though. :)

Even going from a Gnex to Nexus 5 has made Awful a much better experience for me. So I guess his mind will be blown.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nimper posted:

Getting this issue as well, Nexus S/CM 10.2, (stock) dark theme

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I love this app. Is it possible/will it be possible to make threads readable offline? Like if I've got a few new pages of posts to read, I could download them for later? I don't get a lot of WiFi in India.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Alan_Shore posted:

I love this app. Is it possible/will it be possible to make threads readable offline? Like if I've got a few new pages of posts to read, I could download them for later? I don't get a lot of WiFi in India.

I've never actively tried it but in theory this should already work. Posts are saved to a database and pulled when the page can't be loaded. There is no built in mechanism to save X pages, but if you visit the pages before you leave it should work, maybe even save images in Cache.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Just had this happen to me on a stock 2012 Nexus 7:

http://i.imgur.com/eIWvJxE.png

Seems to be the same bug that some others are experiencing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just had this happen to me on a stock 2012 Nexus 7:

http://i.imgur.com/eIWvJxE.png

Seems to be the same bug that some others are experiencing.

What Android version are you on?