Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

The current (not WRX/STI) Impreza has a 5 speed.

Huh. I had thought when they went to 2012 it got a 6-speed. I stand corrected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
The new 2.0XT fakes gear changes, so it has 6 "gears" in normal mode and 8 in Sport#. I think most manufacturers are doing the fake gears now.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The 2.5L engine mentioned for the new STi sounds interesting and is the first I've heard about it.. everything I've seen has said a 2.0.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Huh. I had thought when they went to 2012 it got a 6-speed. I stand corrected.

It could definitely use a 6 speed. There are times, like in heavy traffic or parking lots, when I find myself going too slow for 2nd but too fast for 1st. And it would be nice to have a larger highway gear. Fuel efficiency tops out at 50 mph.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

blargle posted:

The 2.5L engine mentioned for the new STi sounds interesting and is the first I've heard about it.. everything I've seen has said a 2.0.

WRX gets a 2.0, STI gets a 2.5.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
I wouldnt say tops out at 50 mph. My wrx will get 27-28 mpg cruisin at 70-75 in 5th. But I also have not done anything to it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TheFargate posted:

I wouldnt say tops out at 50 mph. My wrx will get 27-28 mpg cruisin at 70-75 in 5th. But I also have not done anything to it.

I'm talking about the 148hp 2.0i current generation Impreza. 50mph I get around 35+ mpg. It diminishes from there. 75-80 mph is in the 28 mpg range.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
Ah ok, i have zero experience with those. All I can say is that I have had my wrx up to 32 mpg.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BoyBlunder posted:

I've never driven a car with a CVT transmission.

What's so bad about it, and why's it such a big deal that it'll be in a WRX?

(I'm not worried - I have a '13 WRX!)

If you want to drive a automotive whitegood and all you care about is not dropping your latte while facebooking while you cruise at 120kph, a CVT is just for you. IF you in any way shape or form like to hustle, a CVT will actively fight you the whole way with lag and soggy response that sucks your life out of you and deadens the response of the chassis to the throttle And it acts too often in exactly the wrong way if you want to have even the slightest go at a corner.

So yes, it blows my mind why the hell Subaru even thought for a second this might be a good idea.

So far, news on the actual new WRX has been very disappointing. It'll look nothing like that amazing concept, it's not a unique model but it's again a souped up Impreza (Sure that's all they have been but we were told it would not be just that) and it's quite clearly NOT going to be a tamed rally car as Subaru got our hopes up it would be. It's not like Subaru have over promised and under delivered before on the WRX - the 01 was signifigantly slower than the previous and the 08..... yeah well, that didnt work well.

quote:

However THAT is very interesting. Also interesting they dropped any hint of a self shifter - I know Subaru Australia predicted there would be many more self shifters sold in the STI over the manual and they were rather wrong to say the least.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I only get 17.5mpg in my 98 STi with a 4.444 final drive. Maybe I should install a CVT?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Between the C&D Jan 2014 leak (Dropbox Link to a PDF) and Jalopnik's build sheet leak we know what the new WRX will be.

The only thing I'm bummed about is a lack of wagon or hatch, but perhaps it will show back up eventually.
I don't understand why they get everyone super hyped with the sick looking concept, only to tame down the final product considerably.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

New info.

quote:

The report comes from Motoring in Australia, which claims that a more potent version of the WRX will make its debut in the Motor City, and that it will do so with an even 300 horsepower (five fewer than the current STI) and 290 pound-feet of torque (identical to the current car). Aside from the more potent 2.5-liter turbocharged flat four, the STI should boast the regular spread of aesthetic upgrades and suspension, brake, chassis and transmission tweaks.

Of course, next week's debut of the 2015 WRX should shed some light on an eventual STI, but we're still going to need to wait until January to get the full scoop. In the meantime, further leaks continue on the LA-bound WRX courtesy of an early-release Car and Driver issue in PDF form that's making the rounds. According to information gleaned from the buff book, the WRX indeed gets a version of the Forester's 2.0-liter engine paired with a six-speed manual, a combo good for 265hp at 6,000 rpm and 244 lb-ft at 4,400 rpm. The standard all-wheel drive WRX will come with a 50:50 default torque split in manual form and sprint to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds. Confirming earlier rumors, the C/D-sourced information also confirms word of a continuously variable transmission that includes Subaru's Variable Torque Distribution and a default front-to-rear torque split of 45:55. The two-pedal WRX is a bit slower to 60 mph, taking 5.9 seconds.

I guess with mitsubishi unlikely to live long enough to build a new evo, you can sit on your rear end and stagnate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What I don't understand is they've been telling us for years that the next gen WRX is diverging from the Impreza and becoming its own thing.

Instead, we are getting an Impreza with a different front clip and a turbo engine, just like we always have. To add insult to injury, they aren't making a hatch anymore. That would have been somewhat understandable if it was on its own modified platform, but all they appear to be doing is bolting a new bumper and headlight assembly on the existing impreza so why not the hatch?

Are we even expecting the engine to be much different than the FA20 Turbo that we already know?

I guess this all begs the question, why the gently caress did we have to wait two years for this?

Also, is the STI going to be a 2.5L variant of the FA or is it still EJ?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 16, 2013

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So my question is... with them unveiling a new generation and the end of the year coming up, when will be the best time to buy a new 2014 WRX hatchback?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
My guess is they'll introduce a hatch a year or two later, like they did with the 3rd gen sedan. Don't think I'll be buying one anyway as they're no longer in the performance to dollar sweet spot.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

If you want to drive a automotive whitegood and all you care about is not dropping your latte while facebooking while you cruise at 120kph, a CVT is just for you. IF you in any way shape or form like to hustle, a CVT will actively fight you the whole way with lag and soggy response that sucks your life out of you and deadens the response of the chassis to the throttle And it acts too often in exactly the wrong way if you want to have even the slightest go at a corner.

So yes, it blows my mind why the hell Subaru even thought for a second this might be a good idea.

Maybe it's because I've driven nothing but boring 4-cylinder Toyotas with lovely 4-speed automatics until now but I like the CVT in my base 2013 Impreza. Your points are valid and I wish the transmission could be tuned for better performance. Accelerating from 0 to 35 mph, the engine is going at 3500 rpms until it smoothly drops to 1500 rpms. Accelerating to highway speeds and passing speeds exhibit a similar routine but anecdotally appears to be much quicker at shifting to an appropriate ratio.

Also, I found the fake gears to be rather useless. Maybe it's because I was using it in an Outback and a Crosstek but it wouldn't let you into higher or lower gears until you were at an appropriate speed and there was a noticeable lag between hitting the shifter paddle and the transmission actually shifting. Slowing down with the transmission is more tricky since the disconnect between the shifter and transmission made timing to downshifts more difficult and was nowhere nearly as effective as slowing down the low gear setting in my Impreza.

So yeah, the CVT is pretty bad for anything sporty. But I would very much prefer it over a lovely 4-speed automatic even though that's probably not saying much.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 16, 2013

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
I feel like such a fool, why didn't I order a 2014 WRX?

(butt-hurt feelings go here)

Oh well, I'll drive my '05 into the ground and see what the next WRX looks like in 4-5 years.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Alzabo posted:

I feel like such a fool, why didn't I order a 2014 WRX?

(butt-hurt feelings go here)

Oh well, I'll drive my '05 into the ground and see what the next WRX looks like in 4-5 years.

The 05 is legitimatly a good WRX, treasure it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Cat Terrist posted:

Are there any years to really avoid?

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Are there any years to really avoid?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Through 2013.

Subarus are supposed to be sturdy first and fast second.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Through 2013.

What made you not include 2014 in that comment?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Through 2013.

So its really like that power bump they did didn't turn out all that great?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Cat Terrist posted:

On that note in the USA my mind the only STIs that you should buy are 05-06.

I'm a little biased since I have a 05.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

G-Mach posted:

Non-hosed examples are in somewhat short supply at times.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

What made you not include 2014 in that comment?
I forgot they made it.

DJ Commie posted:

So its really like that power bump they did didn't turn out all that great?
No, that turned out relatively fine. The stock tune isn't good and the pistons are swiss cheese.

From a durability perspective outside of the engine, the front bumper doesn't hold on very well (we've had guys smash the entire front cover off their cars including the fender liners from hitting a cone during a dry sunny day) and the rear suspension is quite obviously no longer built for hard rough-surface driving. There have also been some peculiar one-off failures here and there and the cars don't hold their value as well on the local market as 02-07 seem to. The transmission sure seems a lot more durable though, especially the 5-speeds.

There's a bunch of other niggling things about the 08+ WRX (no LSD in the rear, mandatory traction control unless you pull the ABS fuse) that are obvious cost-cutting measures. The seats are still really bad in the current model as well.

For street use and hard parking the cars seem to hold up relatively ok (with the usual Subaru paint issues) but they just don't live up to the durability reputation that the brand enjoys.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 16, 2013

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007

So my question is... with them unveiling a new generation and the end of the year coming up, when will be the best time to buy a new 2014 WRX hatchback?

December of 2014.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Midjack posted:

Non-hosed examples are in somewhat short supply at times.

One of the reasons why good examples are holding their value so well. I think they along with the EVO IX will be future classics.

After a couple more years of racing mine I'll probably do a full refresh/repaint of mine since it's getting higher up in mileage.
I probably will never sell my STi.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I forgot they made it.

That's a shame. An AWD performance hatchback just ticks all the right boxes for me. There's not a whole lot to choose from in that department, so it looks like I am still getting a WRX. I can understand why some performance enthusiasts may be saying it is passed it's prime, but for me I think it will be a great car.

Danger Doug posted:

December of 2014.

Nice. That lines up nicely with what my plans are. I appreciate the response!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

That's a shame. An AWD performance hatchback just ticks all the right boxes for me. There's not a whole lot to choose from in that department, so it looks like I am still getting a WRX. I can understand why some performance enthusiasts may be saying it is passed it's prime, but for me I think it will be a great car.

Honestly, it's still one of the best cars on the market. Take it to autocrosses and enjoy it. Just be aware that at some point you may have to spend some time at a bodyshop. Their primary objective was clearly to make a cheaper car in the face of a changing regulatory environment, and now that the company is much healthier I think they're back on an upward trend.

If someone threw me the keys to a new WRX or STI 5-door I'd take it unreservedly.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 16, 2013

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

G-Mach posted:

On that note in the USA North America the only STIs that you should buy are 05-06.

Concur, as someone who shopped long and hard to find an 06 STi. :hfive:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

gvibes posted:

Yeah, that sounded surprising to me, so I went to check my local craigslist when he said that, and the cheapest 2005 WRX was listed at like 9750. I would have probably bought a used one if I could have gotten prices more in line with that.

Hm, could it be because of geographic differences? I haven't seen many examples of clean '05 wagons locally, but Kelley Blue Book and/or Edmunds say maybe just shy of 8k. I'm in the DC area, which doesn't get much snow, so maybe there's less demand or something? Maybe they sell for above bluebook?

Anyway, my mechanic was able to fix me up for about $800 (vs. $2000 at the dealer), so I'm going all in in this car for a bit. Modding starts after Christmas... :getin:

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 16, 2013

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

From a durability perspective outside of the engine, the front bumper doesn't hold on very well (we've had guys smash the entire front cover off their cars including the fender liners from hitting a cone during a dry sunny day)

I can attest to this as I cracked my front bumper and popped out the fender liner on the driver side by pulling into a parking spot that was fronted by Belgian block curbing. There was one block that was about 3-4" higher than the rest and it did some serious damage at less than 5mph.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

G-Mach posted:

What's the difference between an 06 and 07?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Fifty Three posted:

What's the difference between an 06 and 07?

07 has some cheaper parts, highway-friendlier (and faster 0-60) gearing, a worse factory tune (that's more likely to damage the engine from leaning out over time than the 06 tune), better turbo (VF43) and some other minor revisions. It adopted canbus and added a secondary emissions air pump that goes bad and is more difficult to remove than the already-awful one in the 06 WRX.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 17, 2013

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

From a durability perspective outside of the engine, the front bumper doesn't hold on very well (we've had guys smash the entire front cover off their cars including the fender liners from hitting a cone during a dry sunny day)

Wait, isn't this what zip ties are for :v:?

It's true though, I could sneeze at it, and it'll pop off of one of the mounting points. Thankfully, our autox courses use soft cones, so I've yet to break a bumper or lip (just jinxed myself).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

This isn't strictly Subaru talk, but my market would be local Subaru owners. Should I try to unload my Wintersport 3Ds (or give them to someone interested)? I needed to replace them as they won't pass inspection due to a band on the inside edge on two where the tread has worn unevenly, but the rest of the tire has meat, and two of them would still pass inspection. I bought a set of four 4Ds to replace them. I always feel bad disposing of tires that someone might want, either someone with a FWD car that might want a pair, or whatever.

What are your thoughts on this? If I keep them, I save like $10 on disposal, and even if I just give them away it's cheaper than tossing them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mr. Powers posted:

I always feel bad disposing of tires that someone might want, either someone with a FWD car that might want a pair, or whatever.
I stick them on eBay with a penny start price and see if they go. Size and a few common fitments in the title.

quote:

What are your thoughts on this? If I keep them, I save like $10 on disposal, and even if I just give them away it's cheaper than tossing them.
Because they've disproportionately worn their winter fronts by not rotating, right? Not to be an enabling influence on them only running winters on one axle?

Edit:

Stupid question time! What size wiper blades should my 2006 have? I'm getting conflicting information saying a 22" and a 16", or a 22" and a 17"... and the car is currently fitted with a 20" and an 18", so I have no idea what's "correct". Or, thinking about it, if the information that most of you (having LHD ones) can give me will be applicable to mine (being RHD).

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 17, 2013

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

So during my downpipe install a turbo stud broke. Someone brought up a good point that instead of fixing the turbo to just buy a lower mileage TD04 and use my broken stud one as backup. Problem is, I'd have no idea what to look for in a turbo to make sure it's going to run correctly. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007

Yakattak posted:

So during my downpipe install a turbo stud broke. Someone brought up a good point that instead of fixing the turbo to just buy a lower mileage TD04 and use my broken stud one as backup. Problem is, I'd have no idea what to look for in a turbo to make sure it's going to run correctly. Any ideas?

Is that the only one that snapped? I had all of them snap on my vw, I ended up pulling off the turbo then had a friend at a nearby machine shop remove the studs via a mill.