Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

MeramJert posted:

Are you from a small town? People in my small Maine town give directions like "take the 2nd left past Joe's barn" except Joe would be over 100 years old if he were still alive and his barn probably isn't there anymore either.

My favorite thing about Chinese GPS units in Shenzhen is that they never get updated with new maps in a city that's still being built. Some black taxi drivers use them and according to the GPS we're sometimes driving over water that was reclaimed over a decade ago.

This is true in both Western PA and Yuyao; I didn't learn street names until I was in college because "just turn left at Jen's house like you're going to the hotdog place, but then turn at the church that got burned down in '01" was more than sufficient. Likewise things like the high speed rail appear and disappear off of maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Google maps is pretty bad in China as well and sogou maps aren't great in Hong Kong. Aiya. Man I should have stayed jing an hanting all seasons hotel,should be a lot more quiet.

Anyways. GOON MEET TODAY SHANGHAI

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

caberham posted:

Man I should have stayed jing an hanting all seasons hotel,should be a lot more quiet.

Or *my house*.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

caberham posted:

Google maps is pretty bad in China as well and sogou maps aren't great in Hong Kong. Aiya. Man I should have stayed jing an hanting all seasons hotel,should be a lot more quiet.

Anyways. GOON MEET TODAY SHANGHAI

Google Maps's search feature beats the pants off everything else...when it has data on what you're looking for, and when the locations it gives aren't a couple hundred meters off. And their Android app is, ironically, utter poo poo.

Now if I could get Baidu Maps but search their data with Google I'd be happy.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You don't have GPS with automagically updated traffic info in China?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Jeoh posted:

Here is your traffic info for beijing:

poo poo

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

VideoTapir posted:

Here is your traffic info for beijing:

poo poo

Honestly speaking, never have had much of a problem with traffic here.

Jeoh posted:

Yep, we got that.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Facepalm Ranger posted:

It's just £145 is a lot of money to spend on something that comparatively would only cost £30 in china.

What? It costs like ten pounds to get your GP to scribble incomprehensibly on the form and have it stamped by the plump little doxy at the front desk.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Honestly speaking, never have had much of a problem with traffic here.

Fearcotton wants to know: is your father Li Gang?

AfroNinja
Oct 24, 2006
I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT EXPLOITING WOMEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL DICK AND DESERVE TO TAKE A BULLET IN THE SKULL

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah, so more than a month after getting rejected, my EF recruiter just left a message on my phone and sent a couple of emails saying they've got positions open and are willing to offer me a position. Probably gonna sleep on it at the moment, but I'm just a little wary of it. Could also be the bitter taste of retail and having just been turned down for a technical sales position is making me leery of job offers.

I am still apt to teaching abroad, just finding this out of the blue "sorry we rejected you we'll hire you now" kinda questionable.

The recruiter is trying to fill his/her monthly quota so he/she can get PAID. Mull it over but the structure of EF is designed to gently caress you over at some point.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

blinkyzero posted:

Fearcotton wants to know: is your father Li Gang?

I'm just literally that awesome at driving.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Translation: he doesn't brake for three year olds. Or anything else.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Ugh so it's a test you do in China, not your home country? I'm out by £145 then because the south-west website was not very clear?

Don't let it get you down. Part of the adventure is how much money you end up spending just to get a job/visa only to find out there was another, better, much cheaper way to do it. Your health check in Chengdu will be 411 yuan. Not bad. Whenever poo poo like this happens just say "China" and suddenly it feels ok.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Oracle posted:

Translation: he doesn't brake for three year olds. Or anything else.

Nah, it's just that there are almost always tricks to get where you're going and avoid the worst traffic, or at least minimize it. Protip: pay attention to where the cameras are and when you are cutting through traffic, plan your moves out far in advance so you're not just making pointless lane changes (like everyone else does). The side roads on the rings are also awesome if you use them with some strategy. I popped out to a client office the other day, 4th ring all red and yellow. About 15km or so, got there in under 20 minutes (including 4 or 5 red lights). So easy.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

GuestBob posted:

What? It costs like ten pounds to get your GP to scribble incomprehensibly on the form and have it stamped by the plump little doxy at the front desk.

And I still have about £50 to pay for a chest x-Ray... I say "about" as the dip-poo poo at the reception desk couldn't give me an exact amount. Seriously, £10? I thought I was being taken for a ride, now I think it even more!

ZombieParts posted:

Don't let it get you down. Part of the adventure is how much money you end up spending just to get a job/visa only to find out there was another, better, much cheaper way to do it. Your health check in Chengdu will be 411 yuan. Not bad. Whenever poo poo like this happens just say "China" and suddenly it feels ok.

Not too bad I guess, it's just been stressful as I've been stumbling around in the dark hoping the pieces will all fit correctly.

China. (It does work a little!)

Any with some luck I should be in Chengdu in time for Chinese New Years celebrations and have a month to settle before beginning my course, I'm coming for you Chengdu Goons...

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Facepalm Ranger posted:

And I still have about £50 to pay for a chest x-Ray... I say "about" as the dip-poo poo at the reception desk couldn't give me an exact amount. Seriously, £10? I thought I was being taken for a ride, now I think it even more!

A plethora of official looking stamps is normally more important than a chest x-ray. Sometimes, randomly, one is required though. I have never done one.

Whatever you do, get the form stamped. Alot.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Nah, it's just that there are almost always tricks to get where you're going and avoid the worst traffic, or at least minimize it. Protip: pay attention to where the cameras are and when you are cutting through traffic, plan your moves out far in advance so you're not just making pointless lane changes (like everyone else does). The side roads on the rings are also awesome if you use them with some strategy. I popped out to a client office the other day, 4th ring all red and yellow. About 15km or so, got there in under 20 minutes (including 4 or 5 red lights). So easy.

Planning more than thirty seconds ahead when determining what lane you need to be in has not been reached on China's tech tree yet.

HK driver: "Wow this lane is so slow ill move into the fast lane with 1km to my exit OHMYGOD MAKE WAY I'M CUTTING THREE LANES AND OVER THE PAINTED DIVIDER TO GET IN THE EXIT! I sure am a clever driver."

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I switched to a longer route for my commute and can now get to work in as little as 15 minutes vs. my previous 30 (by bike)

I now ride east-west through Weigongcun, rather than going through the next major road to the north, the third ring road near Renmin University. There is less traffic, what traffic there is moves at a more even speed and is marked by far less stupidity, there are fewer cross streets, the lights are shorter, and the bike lanes are physically separated from the automotive lanes and/or wider.

Most importantly, unlike the 4 lane (including bike/defacto parking lane) frontage roads (wherein lie the alleged bike lanes) along that section of the 3rd ring road, you don't have people double and triple parking on a street with no actual legal parking spaces.

Unless your strategy includes avoiding those few kilometers of ring road entirely or only going there at 2 in the morning, I'm not sure how you're gonna deal with 3 lanes of vehicular traffic being reduced to one (by people who were too lazy to drive another 20 meters or so to merely DOUBLE park) on a regular basis.

Anyway, I get in far fewer physical confrontations now.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've seen triple-parking in intersections. It's glorious and obscene.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Not too bad I guess, it's just been stressful as I've been stumbling around in the dark hoping the pieces will all fit correctly.

China. (It does work a little!)

Any with some luck I should be in Chengdu in time for Chinese New Years celebrations and have a month to settle before beginning my course, I'm coming for you Chengdu Goons...

Surprisingly, Chengdu is hella boring during the Spring Festival. It's a really long holiday and people will go to their hometowns and hunker down with the family. The actual Chinese New Year is pretty spectacular. If you're at Xinan Minzu DaXue there's quite a lot of fireworks going on in the Tibetan area right next to your dormitory. Wuhou Temple will have a huge display. I lived at city center my first year there and fireworks are mandatory for businesses that want to be successful there so they launch from about 9pm until the wee hours of the morning. The Tibetan area doesn't go quite that long. It'll impress you just by sheer volume of smoke and fire though.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ZombieParts posted:

Surprisingly, ChengduChina is hella boring during the Spring Festival. It's a really long holiday and people will go to their hometowns and hunker down with the family. The actual Chinese New Year is pretty spectacular. If you're at Xinan Minzu DaXue there's quite a lot of fireworks going on in the Tibetan area right next to your dormitory. Wuhou Temple will have a huge display. I lived at city center my first year there and fireworks are mandatory for businesses that want to be successful there so they launch from about 9pm until the wee hours of the morning. The Tibetan area doesn't go quite that long. It'll impress you just by sheer volume of smoke and fire though.

Fixed your post.

This is relevant information for anyone planning to come to China: :siren:Do not come during Chinese New Year/Spring Festival. :siren:

It is by and far the worst time to come here. More or less everywhere has terrible weather that time of year, traveling is super-expensive, and half of the country is closed.

Every year I have a friend who has friends come during spring festival and they are invariably bored silly looking for things to do. Come pretty much any other time of year.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Magna Kaser posted:

half of the country is closed.

Probably more.

A lot of the rest of Asia slows down a lot too. Vietnam is no fun. Dunno about Korea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

In Korea it's only three days off work and things are only really closed on the day of Seollal itself. It's not a big thing.

E: And in 2014 it's on a Friday so only two days off. God drat it. THANKS FOR RUINING MY DAY BLOODNOSE

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 17, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Wandering around the streets in Beijing at night, drunk, is a pretty fun way to spend spring festival.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Got a response from English First. I think you guys are right about wanting to fill quotas. They're offering me a job in Hohhot. Anyone know about that branch?

e: I should say, offering a second interview for Hohhot.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

It's a small city in Mongolia, dude. The good news is it's a minority place so your food selection will be pretty good and a quick google search says you get Italian food places and even a couple of McDonalds. THe bad news is, they will be laid way back. The idea of a good time is to go see Grasslands and mountains. If that's your thing, you'll have a blast. Also, minorities in China will get along really well with you unless you mess with someone's girlfriend. Then you're on a poo poo list that includes several families.

seems like it might be small and isolated but the wide open area of mongolia around it might make you feel like you're on an adventure. I live in a minority area now and I find the monthly excursion to a real city very nice.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Hey guys got some questions that you may be able to answer with your experience and knowledge.

So as you saw earlier the chain of communication for me applying to southwest university is like this.

Me>girlfriend>girlfriend's mum (who shall be known as mama)>uni.

Now Mama has basically been doing the application part of this for me with me sending the right documents when requested. Everything has been handed in and according to Mama the uni will give the JW202/1 form and the acceptance letter to Mama in 2 weeks which she'll send to me, now there is come confusion for as is it normal procedure for the uni to request a family member to send out these forms or should they be doing that themselves? Is it possibly because of the way I've applied instead of filling out an application on their website?

(Which I would have done had my gf not insisted that to apply the way we had is fine also)

Also once I get the JW form, will it have a valid from date which would be the earliest I can enter the country?

This is all very confusing for me as I have no records of me applying for this course expect for mama telling me, ie, no application number, no emails or anything from the uni.

Have I hosed up bad by just not applying through the website?

China.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ZombieParts posted:

It's a small city in Mongolia, dude. The good news is it's a minority place so your food selection will be pretty good and a quick google search says you get Italian food places and even a couple of McDonalds. THe bad news is, they will be laid way back. The idea of a good time is to go see Grasslands and mountains. If that's your thing, you'll have a blast. Also, minorities in China will get along really well with you unless you mess with someone's girlfriend. Then you're on a poo poo list that includes several families.

seems like it might be small and isolated but the wide open area of mongolia around it might make you feel like you're on an adventure. I live in a minority area now and I find the monthly excursion to a real city very nice.

I've been to Hohhot, the locals like to get fall down drunk as much as people in Henan do.

Hohhot is also not really that small either, it's a provincial capital. T3 but not a village by any stretch.

In all honesty it was like a cleaner, colder, nicer Zhengzhou with a little more culture. They had a good selection of foreign food places, a store that sold imported goods, and the nicest most organized bootleg DVD store I've ever visited. Though it might not have as much as a Tier 1 or 2 city, you will be less likely to die of black lung.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Have I hosed up bad by just not applying through the website?

Probably but it will most likely all work out in the end.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ZombieParts posted:

I know it's a minor thing but Hohhot is actually in Inner Mongolia, which is in the country of China. Mongolia is an entirely separate country, and after going there earlier this year, is massively insane compared to China. I've never been to Hohhot, though, so I can't really comment on it as a city, but it is DEFINITELY in China.

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 19, 2013

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Has anyone applied and received a multi entry yearlong visa as an American? I need it for travel and interviews. The embassy in Korea doesn't handle visas and the travel agencies here don't want to do multi entry. At least I haven't convinced them yet.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

DontAskKant posted:

Has anyone applied and received a multi entry yearlong visa as an American? I need it for travel and interviews. The embassy in Korea doesn't handle visas and the travel agencies here don't want to do multi entry. At least I haven't convinced them yet.

I would mail your visa application to an agent in the US. Of course you will have to be alright with not having your passport for 3+ weeks. I've used mychinavisa.com before, got a 1 year 90-day per entry multi-entry visa through them, but I was in the US at the time. I've heard Houston is a good consulate to go through but I got mine through Chicago. Since then I've applied in person in New York and received a 1 year 120-day per entry multi-entry tourist visa. Visa rules and types have changed a lot in the past year so I'd send them an email first with your questions.

Benadryl Brownie
Aug 18, 2005

Haway les gars
Hey guys, what can you tell me about Wuhan? I'm entertaining the idea of possibly moving there for ESL teaching. Nowhere near decided and have plenty of personal reservations, but I'm curious to know about the city.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Wuhan is the city in the middle of China!

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I've been to Hohhot, the locals like to get fall down drunk as much as people in Henan do.

He should come to Henan instead.

Everyone should come to Henan.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

We have ostriches.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

GuestBob posted:

Everyone should come to Henan Hainan.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Benadryl Brownie posted:

Hey guys, what can you tell me about Wuhan? I'm entertaining the idea of possibly moving there for ESL teaching. Nowhere near decided and have plenty of personal reservations, but I'm curious to know about the city.

Big sprawling city. Bad traffic. Has a consulate. Used to be three cities and was the site of some pretty cool battles. That's literally all I know about Wuhan.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Benadryl Brownie posted:

I haven't been but I've been told it's pretty spread out. Taxis are going to be cheap but it's not as compact as most Chinese metropolises/concrete jungles.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

GuestBob posted:

He should come to Henan instead.

Everyone should come to Henan.

Gooncamp China is gonna be in Henan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Smeef posted:

Gooncamp China is gonna be in Henan.

[edit]

So, this isn't the LAN thread and emptyquoting is probably a bad idea. But yeah, everyone should visit Henan at least once because, karma or some poo poo, I don't know.