Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

radlum posted:

My family got a puppy when it was a month and a half old (a beagle). Now it is about to be 5 months old and I'm wondering if it's too late to train her.

I'm curious, why did they get a hunting dog? They're pretty stubborn dogs and time-consuming to train. She probably doesn't like other dogs because you got her at 6 weeks and the 6-12 week age is critical for them to socialize with other dogs or she had some bad experiences during this stage. You can probably still socialize her with other dogs if you introduce them gently and are careful that it's a positive experience.

Your post sent up a few red flags though that you not have read up on raising a puppy perhaps as much as you should have.

- Got a puppy at 6 weeks (way too young)
- Still not house trained at 5 months
- No bite inhibition by 5 months
- Not socialized with other dogs
- You chose a beagle
- Asking if the dog is done learning at 5 months.

The OP of this thread has a wealth of information and you could also check out this page, http://www.dogstardaily.com/taxonomy/term/107, everything under "Raising a puppy". It's a lot of work to train and socialize a puppy for the first year but it pays off when they're a well adjusted dog for the next 7-15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Ikantski posted:

I'm curious, why did they get a hunting dog? They're pretty stubborn dogs and time-consuming to train. She probably doesn't like other dogs because you got her at 6 weeks and the 6-12 week age is critical for them to socialize with other dogs or she had some bad experiences during this stage. You can probably still socialize her with other dogs if you introduce them gently and are careful that it's a positive experience.

Your post sent up a few red flags though that you not have read up on raising a puppy perhaps as much as you should have.

- You chose a beagle

The OP of this thread has a wealth of information and you could also check out this page, http://www.dogstardaily.com/taxonomy/term/107, everything under "Raising a puppy". It's a lot of work to train and socialize a puppy for the first year but it pays off when they're a well adjusted dog for the next 7-15 years.

**this got long quickly so I apologize in advance for the wall of text. I'm just not sure the best course of action from here**

What would you say is the time to expect a puppy to be successfully housetrained? I've never seen a "by 5 months you should be at XYZ" timeline. And I've seen a lot of PI regulars say during training that if there is an accident to "reset" the training.

Artemis is great with housetraining: we have bells on our front door and she rings them to take her out and we're good to go. No worries. BUT, once in a while we miss it - she has a habit of waiting until we sit down for dinner and I try to shovel food in my face as quickly as possible (she rings the bells to go play outside as well so it's hard to tell what the trip outside is for) or I'm in the shower to ring the bells and I can't get out and dressed (it's cold outside) and once in a while she'll have an accident under these kinds of conditions. I usually just clean it up and move on, and personally I don't consider these her not knowing better. I try to be diligent about her using the bells after an accident just to reinforce the habit, but she never has a problem indicating. I consider her house trained.

Jada, on the other hand, doesn't indicate whatsoever. I can't figure out how to get her to tell us that she needs to go out. Currently we take her out every time Artemis rings the bells, but she doesn't do it herself. Sometimes I think it's when she walks around with the base of her tail raise (she keeps it about mid-mast normally), but sometimes she will have an accident without holding her tail up. Sometimes she walks to the door and looks at me, but sometimes she doesn't. We've done everything I can think of to teach her a better way but she just doesn't let us know. I'm very proactive about it (she rarely has accidents, and she can definitely hold it - she makes it through our whole work day no problem and makes it through the whole night no problem (sometimes she wakes me up by walking around in the middle of the night so I take her out in the middle of the night, usually if she didn't get her second #2 after dinner). She isn't on the same pooping schedule as Artemis for some reason though, and as frequently as I take her out, since she doesn't tell us to take her out, we have accidents. I don't consider her house trained, even though accidents are infrequent.

I know she may never use the bells as well as Artemis does, but is there a way to train her to? We've tried ringing the bells with her paws and treating before every walk, we have the bells on the door so every time it's opened or closed they ring, which I would think she would associate with going outside. Hell, even if she doesn't use the bells if she can sit next to the door or just something to indicate that she wants an extra trip outside!!!

She's not very food, or toy, or praise motivated - she'll take treats, and she'll train with them, but it's more along the lines of "oh hey treats. whatevs". She's just a laid back puppy. We make sure to consistently treat for eliminating outside and, as I said, she does very well when we take her out. She just doesn't indicate when she wants to go out. For reference, when I'm home, I usually take her/them out every one to two hours or when Artemis rings the bells for a quick potty walk (depending on what I'm doing, an hour, hour and a half or two hours at the most) but if she doesn't poop outside on one of these, it could be a few hours before the next walk and since she doesn't tell us when she wants to go out, its on the floor.

e: to clarify some things

mcswizzle fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 11, 2013

radlum
May 13, 2013

Ikantski posted:

- You chose a beagle

We had a poodle for 13 years and she turned out okay (save for health related issues and we had to put her to sleep), but we got her when I was 11, so I don't remember what we did in her case.

My sister got the dog, she didn't know much about beagle and I've just returned home and had these issues with the puppy; I've found the OP to be quite useful and I'll check that link now. I just want the puppy to socialize and behave as best as it can. Thanks!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

mcswizzle posted:

What would you say is the time to expect a puppy to be successfully housetrained? I've never seen a "by 5 months you should be at XYZ" timeline. And I've seen a lot of PI regulars say during training that if there is an accident to "reset" the training.

It depends on a lot of things. How old the puppy was when you got it, breed, whether you're crate training, how the breeder handled it before you got the puppy. For the beagle person, he said it usually pees around the house. At 5 months, I'd expect maybe the occasional (weekly?) accident that's probably more the owner's fault than the dog's.

What old and what breeds are Artemis and Jada? I would throw the whole kitchen sink at them to try to figure out which treats they really like. Peanut butter, cheese, hot dog pieces, roast beef, bacon, there has to be something that they love. Use that treat only for housetraining and reset with Jada, keep her tethered to you or crated so she doesn't have the chance to have an accident for the first couple of weeks. Artemis sounds like she's doing well but a better treat might be enough to get her to hold it even if you don't hear the bell.

radlum posted:

My sister got the dog

Ah sorry for being harsh, it's always a pain to try to train other people's dogs. Good luck!

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Ikantski posted:

It depends on a lot of things. How old the puppy was when you got it, breed, whether you're crate training, how the breeder handled it before you got the puppy. For the beagle person, he said it usually pees around the house. At 5 months, I'd expect maybe the occasional (weekly?) accident that's probably more the owner's fault than the dog's.

What old and what breeds are Artemis and Jada? I would throw the whole kitchen sink at them to try to figure out which treats they really like. Peanut butter, cheese, hot dog pieces, roast beef, bacon, there has to be something that they love. Use that treat only for housetraining and reset with Jada, keep her tethered to you or crated so she doesn't have the chance to have an accident for the first couple of weeks. Artemis sounds like she's doing well but a better treat might be enough to get her to hold it even if you don't hear the bell.

Artemis is a ~9 month old lab mutt who is too smart for her own good. We use Zuke's treats and these are more than enough for her, but she's happy with literally anything. You know those roast beef sandwiches you get from Arby's? She LOVES the foil wrappers those come in! Seriously though, since she's been so enthusiastic about the generic treats we really haven't tried much else for training purposes.

Jada is a ~7-8 month old (we were told) husky/GSD mix. Everyone has said she looks more rottweiler than either of her apparent parent's were, and she's got the most even temperament of any dog I've ever met. She's content to just chill on the couch with you, lay in bed or just kind of whatever. We've trained her with a few tricks (sit/shake/lay) but she doesn't do well with stay (as I said, we never really found what motivated her so training got difficult). We use the same Zuke's treats for her, but to varying degrees of success. Sometimes it'll be plenty motivating, but other times she's just not into it.

They both love Peanut butter (we use Kong's when we crate them usually with peanut butter in them) but it never occurred to me to use that for training besides with the kong/in the crate. Now that I think about it, I might just put the whole drat jar into my hoody pocket and give them a finger of peanut butter while we're outside. Why that never occurred to me, who knows?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

If they love pb you might want to try putting it in something like this that they can lick without you getting all sticky and gross. Kong stuff'n comes in a pb flavor and has a squeeze tube too.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Instant Jellyfish posted:

If they love pb you might want to try putting it in something like this that they can lick without you getting all sticky and gross. Kong stuff'n comes in a pb flavor and has a squeeze tube too.

Considering I loathe peanut butter, you might have just made me the happiest dog owner in the world.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

How is that PB stuff from Kong? I saw it and started reading the ingredients and it seemed pretty extreme. (Mind you I'm ignorant to what most of the ingredients were. I just opted for regular PB).

Putting it into her toys would be much easier with a spray tube.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I have no idea, I personally haven't used it before but I know people in training classes that use it. Personally I feel a treat is a treat and if it is only used sparingly I'm not super concerned about weird ingredients now and then unless they're known to be toxic like the terrible death jerky going around.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

I have no idea, I personally haven't used it before but I know people in training classes that use it. Personally I feel a treat is a treat and if it is only used sparingly I'm not super concerned about weird ingredients now and then unless they're known to be toxic like the terrible death jerky going around.

We generally use it as a reward for the pup or if we want her occupied for a short period of time while we do something.

Also, what's this death jerky you're referring to :ohdear:

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

terrible death jerky

You should go into marketing haha. My local pet store is a "Proud of American Made products" type of place, so they don't carry things made out of the country, which I believe is where that jerky is coming from.

I usually try to avoid feeding the dogs table scraps and people food - I feel like if they get used to it, they'll start to expect it. I also have a weak heart and give them little bites of tuna when I make my lunch sometimes (not often).

Like I said Artemis would be motivated if you fed her bits of an old shoe. Hopefully I'll find something that will motivate Jada just as much and isn't going to make me a messy sticky peanut monster.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

m.hache posted:

We generally use it as a reward for the pup or if we want her occupied for a short period of time while we do something.

Also, what's this death jerky you're referring to :ohdear:

"The FDA has No Idea Why Jerky Treats Are Killing Hundreds of Dogs."

It's all Chinese-produced jerky, though. The US-produced stuff is safe, it seems.

Chinese food products scare the crap out of me. Melamine in baby formula, God-knows-what in chicken jerky.... drat.

bean mug
Nov 11, 2011

you think you can just say things to me?
Hello! I'm not sure if this warrants it's own thread or not, but if it's a little too much for this thread just let me know.

My SO and I recently took in a stray about two to two-and-a-half months ago, and while I've been doing my best to research how to take care of a "stray" I figured I'd stop here for some advice! All our pets in the past have been adopted from breeders or shelters, so I have to admit I'm really new to taking care of a foreign dog.

Here are the pets in the home: One runt fawn boy Chihuahua ("teacup" sized) 10 yrs old, a long haired girl Chihuahua ("toy" sized) 11 yrs old + our new little addition: "Pup", a girl Chihuhua-mix who is ~11 pounds!

A neighbor came to the house and asked if she was our dog, knowing we had a fawn Chihuahua. Well, during this conversation Pup... walked right in, and hasn't left since. She didn't look hungry, and seemed socialized enough so we spent a few weeks trying to see if she was someone else's dog, but nothing turned up. Through this we also learned that where we live is a very popular "drop-off" point. :smith:

I'm super paranoid about rabies and disease so even though she seemed friendly I was sure to keep an eye on her and immediately made a vet appointment. She had tapeworms, but that was about the worst of it. She was coughing a lot (she reverse-sneezes so much) so I was sure to get her a heartworm test and thankfully she came up clear. We got her all her shots and asked the vet a few general questions and then we were on our merry way. According to the vet she's probably no older than two, and probably a Chihuahua-Shiba mix.

All right, now that I've got all that information out of the way, here are my questions!:

- She seems to have taken an attachment to the SO and I, so when we're not home I guess she's been peeing in the house. I really have no idea where to begin with this, and the vet said the solution might have to be crate training. Since the other pets in the home aren't crate trained I'd... really rather not start or do it with just her.

- Initially she had trouble with both the dogs, and our long-haired girl got so anxious she started pulling out her own fur. We're past this now, and the two-girls seem to get along just fine. However, we have a lot of trouble with her and our older male dog. He's small and weak, but is really determined to hold his own against her. Usually she'll walk away from him, but if one of the humans is near when he growls she's starting to jump quick on the defense. I'm worried this behavior is going to continue to grow, and eventually they'll start fighting when we're not there to pull them apart quickly.

He doesn't seek her out or anything--he's a very sedentary old-man-dog and usually just gets mad at her when she runs by him (usually on the couch). I've been trying to encourage her to stop running near him, but I don't think it's really working. She's much bigger than him and my worry is that she's going to kill him. Though, maybe I am just being paranoid.

Any help or general advice (even if it's unrelated to my questions) is greatly appreciated. :)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Effingham posted:

"The FDA has No Idea Why Jerky Treats Are Killing Hundreds of Dogs."

It's all Chinese-produced jerky, though. The US-produced stuff is safe, it seems.

Chinese food products scare the crap out of me. Melamine in baby formula, God-knows-what in chicken jerky.... drat.

This whole jerky thing is very confusing. With the widespread usage, there should be far more cases IMO. The hard part is that now that the general public got a hold of it, everything is being blamed on the jerky treats, as opposed to the Fanconi-like syndrome that was originally seen.

I read an interesting theory from another vet, in that it may turn out that there is nothing inherently wrong with the jerky, but that as with grapes, some dogs can die from eating them and others do just fine.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

bean mug posted:

- She seems to have taken an attachment to the SO and I, so when we're not home I guess she's been peeing in the house. I really have no idea where to begin with this, and the vet said the solution might have to be crate training. Since the other pets in the home aren't crate trained I'd... really rather not start or do it with just her.

- Initially she had trouble with both the dogs, and our long-haired girl got so anxious she started pulling out her own fur. We're past this now, and the two-girls seem to get along just fine. However, we have a lot of trouble with her and our older male dog. He's small and weak, but is really determined to hold his own against her. Usually she'll walk away from him, but if one of the humans is near when he growls she's starting to jump quick on the defense. I'm worried this behavior is going to continue to grow, and eventually they'll start fighting when we're not there to pull them apart quickly.

He doesn't seek her out or anything--he's a very sedentary old-man-dog and usually just gets mad at her when she runs by him (usually on the couch). I've been trying to encourage her to stop running near him, but I don't think it's really working. She's much bigger than him and my worry is that she's going to kill him. Though, maybe I am just being paranoid.

Any help or general advice (even if it's unrelated to my questions) is greatly appreciated. :)

Housebreaking is mostly a management issue while you change her preference for pottying. That's why crating is mentioned so often. You need to control the dog's access to inappropriate voiding locations. Other options are 100% attention all the time, x-pens or keeping the dog in a room that it's hesitant to soil. When I was bringing my not-housebroken chihuahua into my home we gated her in a pen while not giving her 100% attention, and eventually we graduated to leaving her in my bedroom since she'd shown herself trustworthy in there. I didn't give her full run of the house for a good 2+ months.

The issue with your male dog sounds like it has the potential to erupt into something more serious. I would recommend that you do some reading up on dog aggression and how to manage it. To start, check out the reactive dog thread and the dog training megathread in this subforum to get you started. I've managed to integrate my 7lb chi into my household with a 37lb high energy herder with minimal issues. One of the things I credit my success to is a slow integration of the dogs. They lived in the same house for weeks before they were allowed to even interact without gates, and even then it was completely supervised for a long time after that. I would suggest trying to identify your dogs' triggers and trying to address them before an argument. It sounds like you're doing this by discouraging running, but I think you need to address your male's behaviour as well.

Here's a link to get you started: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/13_4/features/Dog-Fighting-Behavior-Aggression_16214-1.html

password is taco
Oct 23, 2012
edit: Made new thread, thank you! :)

password is taco fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 13, 2013

Pulling Teeth
Jan 13, 2008
My Cadillac got that bass
I've got a question I need help with PI: in about 3 weeks my wife and I will be adopting a 9 week old Cairn Terrier pup. We did lots of research and are very happy with our breeder, who we are in pretty constant contact with. Recently, she sent me an email asking if I would like to book our male pup in to be desexed, before he comes home (so at about 8 weeks). I've looked into the pros and cons of this by reading some of the medical material out there, so I know that some dogs be more likely to experience hip dysplasia, that they will grow taller, may show increased "puppy tendencies", etc.

What are your opinions about this? I know that this is a fairly common practice in the US and in Australia (where I live) but not in Europe, so I was hoping to get some different perspectives. To be clear the pup will be neutered, it is just a matter of when.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Do not have your puppy neutered at 8 weeks. Most people wait until 6 months. I think that it's probably healthiest for the dog if you wait until it's fully developed at ~2 years before you do, but some people don't like to wait that long due to the added stress of having to manage a dog whose body is coursing with testosterone. You may have to deal with marking, increased excitement around females (especially those in heat), some dogs will attack intact dogs, plus the obvious risk of knocking up another dog. Tell your breeder thanks but no thanks.

password is taco, try making a new thread. :)

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

bean mug posted:

Okay, So ALL covered a lot of things well but I wanted to comment on this bit. I crate trained my dog, Dexter, while my family's two dogs, Abby and Monty, are not crate trained and we have had zero issues. Dex actually hates it when I crate him away from the other 2 dogs (like locked up in my bedroom.) I moved his crate into the "dog room" so he can be near Abby and Monty but still safely contained in his crate. Everyone is happy :)

Edit to talk about early neuters: If you have a say in the matter definitely neuter later (6 months is good.) However in other cases shelters tend to INSIST on a puppy being neutered early and I don't fight it then. IDK. I see both sides of the situation there because the shelter just wants to idiotproof all dogs that leave their care. But a breeder? That's a little sketch.

cryingscarf fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 13, 2013

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I agree with a life less that I would wait to neuter until 6 months at the absolute earliest. If it were my dog I'd probably even wait until a year, maybe a little more. But I can completely understand someone not wanting to deal with an intact dog for that long, so if you wanted to snip earlier that's cool. But 8 weeks is absurd, in my opinion, especially from a breeder.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003
We recommend waiting until full maturity at about 14 mo or 2 months after first season after 14 mo. I like for the growth plates to be closed. An increased risk of osteosarcomas was noticed in large breed dogs with early spay/neutering. 8 weeks is kinda nuts.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

SachielDVangel posted:

We recommend waiting until full maturity at about 14 mo or 2 months after first season after 14 mo. I like for the growth plates to be closed. An increased risk of osteosarcomas was noticed in large breed dogs with early spay/neutering. 8 weeks is kinda nuts.

Both of my girls are already neutered, but can you (or anyone) explain what the benefits of waiting until this point are? I haven't really seen anyone with that opinion until very recently and haven't been explained fully why.

I know fixing them withholds some hormones and does change their personalities compared to if they weren't fixed (or were fixed later) but are there any major health reasons?

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

mcswizzle posted:

Both of my girls are already neutered, but can you (or anyone) explain what the benefits of waiting until this point are? I haven't really seen anyone with that opinion until very recently and haven't been explained fully why.

I know fixing them withholds some hormones and does change their personalities compared to if they weren't fixed (or were fixed later) but are there any major health reasons?

Part of why this view is only coming to be recognised recently is because there haven't been large longitudinal studies of pets who've been neutered early vs later.

This is a referenced review of lots of the studies that do exist: http://www.skeptvet.com/index.php?p=1_23_Benefits-Risks-of-Neutering

It's a long read but if you just read the conclusions, it's in favour of taking into account the owner's individual circumstances, though recommends neutering before first season in female dogs. For male dogs, the benefits and costs are a lot more even, health-wise, but behavioural and population control consequences tip it in favour of neutering rather than not.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How do I know when it's time to start trimming my pup's nails? Her claws are all black so it's not at all easy to tell where the quick is so I predict I'll have a much harder time once I start than I did with my Golden :(

I don't know if this is something you're supposed to get them used to when they're young. I've been playing with her paws just to get her used to people handling them. Running the nail clippers over her paws without actually cutting anything, just stuff like that.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Martytoof posted:

How do I know when it's time to start trimming my pup's nails? Her claws are all black so it's not at all easy to tell where the quick is so I predict I'll have a much harder time once I start than I did with my Golden :(

I don't know if this is something you're supposed to get them used to when they're young. I've been playing with her paws just to get her used to people handling them. Running the nail clippers over her paws without actually cutting anything, just stuff like that.

My puppy got her first nail trims at the breeders, so she started at sub-8 weeks. Get started now, even if you're just shaving tiny bits off. Here's a video to help you get started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cq5X8aV95E

Pulling Teeth
Jan 13, 2008
My Cadillac got that bass
Thanks for your opinions everyone - we have decided to get the opinion of our vet before going any further. I should point out that very early age desexing is quite common in at least some organisations, and major organisations including the RSPCA in Australia (our largest animal welfare organisation) routinely desex pups and kittens at this age. I looked at other major animal welfare groups too and it is interesting that most of them have decided to avoid the issue completely by taking the "talk to your vet" route. I'm certainly not advocating the practice, but it is becoming more common.

http://kb.rspca.org.au/RSPCA-Policy-A06-Companion-animal-management_158.html

bean mug
Nov 11, 2011

you think you can just say things to me?

a life less posted:

The issue with your male dog sounds like it has the potential to erupt into something more serious. I would recommend that you do some reading up on dog aggression and how to manage it. To start, check out the reactive dog thread and the dog training megathread in this subforum to get you started. I've managed to integrate my 7lb chi into my household with a 37lb high energy herder with minimal issues. One of the things I credit my success to is a slow integration of the dogs. They lived in the same house for weeks before they were allowed to even interact without gates, and even then it was completely supervised for a long time after that. I would suggest trying to identify your dogs' triggers and trying to address them before an argument. It sounds like you're doing this by discouraging running, but I think you need to address your male's behaviour as well.

Here's a link to get you started: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/13_4/features/Dog-Fighting-Behavior-Aggression_16214-1.html

Thank you so much! I'll peek over to that thread for some advice. I'm completely new to art of integrating dogs, so I had no idea where to start. I'm mostly worried because the male is so old and doesn't really seem to listen. My worries are probably unfounded though!

cryingscarf posted:

Okay, So ALL covered a lot of things well but I wanted to comment on this bit. I crate trained my dog, Dexter, while my family's two dogs, Abby and Monty, are not crate trained and we have had zero issues. Dex actually hates it when I crate him away from the other 2 dogs (like locked up in my bedroom.) I moved his crate into the "dog room" so he can be near Abby and Monty but still safely contained in his crate. Everyone is happy :)

Ahh, good to know! I was really concerned with the idea of crating her while all the other animals prance around the house freely. Right now we put her outside while we're out (mostly because of her and the boy) and she doesn't seem to mind it too badly. Of course winter is coming soon so crating her might be the best idea while we're out!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Pulling Teeth posted:

Thanks for your opinions everyone - we have decided to get the opinion of our vet before going any further. I should point out that very early age desexing is quite common in at least some organisations, and major organisations including the RSPCA in Australia (our largest animal welfare organisation) routinely desex pups and kittens at this age. I looked at other major animal welfare groups too and it is interesting that most of them have decided to avoid the issue completely by taking the "talk to your vet" route. I'm certainly not advocating the practice, but it is becoming more common.

http://kb.rspca.org.au/RSPCA-Policy-A06-Companion-animal-management_158.html

Bear in mind that rehoming organisations like the RSPCA are not interested in the individual welfare of an individual dog when it comes to neutering. They neuter as early as 8 weeks because that is when the animal will be placed for adoption. They COULD say to someone, 'come back in 4 months time for neutering', but then they risk the new owner not coming and having to chase them down, which they don't have the time for. It's much simpler (and better for them) if they neuter the animal before it is adopted, no matter what the age.

Just because something is becoming more common doesn't mean it's actually any good.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
^ What she said. Many shelters/rescues will not adopt out intact animals anymore because (in some areas) overpopulation is a much worse problem than whether or not some dog's growth plates have closed yet.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Dirt5o8 posted:

Thanks for the info. My BS meter was tingling but the OP said that most breeder sites are garbage.

My experience with Mini-Rat Terriers are all through my sisters'. She did space hers apart by a year. We shared a place in Flagstaff, Arizona for 4 years and the little guys grew on me. They're good jogging/hiking dogs and love to be active. My vet had told me about terrier "same-sex aggression" but she never said anything about problems with littermates. I wish I could use my sisters breeder but that's in NY.

Once again, thanks. Ill definitely keep looking. I'm not super dead set on Rat Terriers but I've had so many good experiences with them that I'd love to get my own.

Edit: Well, looked around. The nearest AKC breeders are in Texas. But I did find a rescue in Nevada! I think I'll go that route instead. Dawww... http://www.newrattitude.org/dogs.htm

I'm curious who your sister's NY breeder is, I live in Montreal but went down to NY state to pick up our Rat Terrier 2 years ago. Be aware of luxating patellas as mentioned, but also Primary Lens Luxation. It's genetic so can be avoided, but the breeder should be aware...

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

mik posted:

I'm curious who your sister's NY breeder is, I live in Montreal but went down to NY state to pick up our Rat Terrier 2 years ago. Be aware of luxating patellas as mentioned, but also Primary Lens Luxation. It's genetic so can be avoided, but the breeder should be aware...

Last name was Swahourt or something. All three of the pups bought from them over the years are over 10 now and still going strong. Piglet, the oldest, had some issues with a possible tumor lump but it turned out to be nothing.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
My wife and I are looking for a new dog addition to our family- we have two cats and a pretty roomy 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment. Is there a specific breed we should be looking for in regards to the two cats and the apartment living, is this going to be a case by case basis In regards to specific dogs, or Is it a terrible, horrible idea? We are not considering puppies, only adult rescues.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

cbservo posted:

My wife and I are looking for a new dog addition to our family- we have two cats and a pretty roomy 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment. Is there a specific breed we should be looking for in regards to the two cats and the apartment living, is this going to be a case by case basis In regards to specific dogs, or Is it a terrible, horrible idea? We are not considering puppies, only adult rescues.

You can find exceptions in most breeds (or breed mixes), but in general I'd stay away from herders and high-energy breeds for apartment living. A shelter or rescue with the means to cat-test their dogs or that keep a history of owner surrenders who've grown up with cats would help you out in your search.

If you like a couch potato big dog, a greyhound rescue that does cat-testing would be a good option.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

So, I just got a new dog the a while back. I'm not sure what his breed is or how old he his, but he's very cute and is very fun to play with. However, he's been kind of aggressive lately. When I was playing with him just the other day he gave me some pretty big cuts on my arms. What should I do?

Reference pictures: http://i.imgur.com/XenQjPi.jpg http://i.imgur.com/OjQmqBR.jpg

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Euth. Sorry man, that thing is a killer. Now that he knows he can hurt you it's just a matter of time.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just need to redirect its playful tendencies. An hour or so at the giant death robot park should tire it out. Just make sure its up to date on its shots -- a giant death robot with parvo is just the saddest thing.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Eegah posted:

Just need to redirect its playful tendencies. An hour or so at the giant death robot park should tire it out. Just make sure its up to date on its shots -- a giant death robot with parvo is just the saddest thing.

They end up making GBS threads and puking oil everywhere.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Eegah posted:

I'd just throw him about 40 cyborgs and a Metal Gear RAY and let him go to town. By the time he's gotten through all of them he'll be exhausted.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
So puppy got spayed yesterday and was super doped out of it pretty much all evening and hates life entirely with the cone on. Now reinstating 'no couch' rules because I'm petrified she's going to hop up ad rip her incision area open. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

a life less posted:

My puppy got her first nail trims at the breeders, so she started at sub-8 weeks. Get started now, even if you're just shaving tiny bits off. Here's a video to help you get started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cq5X8aV95E

Beautiful, thank you :)

Now if only I could get her to not be a spaz and settle down so I can dremel her puppy claws. She's in full on "holy poo poo there's new teeth coming out of my gums I'm gonna run around and make sure everyone knows it!" mode :haw: