Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Oh man, it's even worse the second time.

Ep 20: Reading the book, I kept thinking "surely they'll figure something out, surely she'll be okay". This time it hit me like a goddamn train.

Best show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

darkgray posted:

Oh man, it's even worse the second time.

Ep 20: Reading the book, I kept thinking "surely they'll figure something out, surely she'll be okay". This time it hit me like a goddamn train.

Best show!

To be honest, I'm kind of happy for her being able to move on. I mean, from my perspective a ghost isn't a good thing to be. Much less a "ghost of a ghost". She already died 10 years, and was given the opportunity to confront her own regrets and all that. There's really no better ending she could have asked for.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Nisioisin, you're a prick. :smith:

The timeline jumping going on is getting downright comical. I have no idea how anything is going to resolve. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Nisio still hadn't connected Koyomi's adventures with the end of Neko White in the currently published books.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.daisuki.net/topics/view/10171

I hope it won't be too long...

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Man, that episode was such a gutpunch. :smith:

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Well, gently caress. It's been a while since -monogatari has legitimately tugged at my heartstings, but that sure did the trick.

I hope Ononoki sticks around to replace Hachikuji. I might be able to live with my grief that way.

Also, It's seems more and more obvious that Ougi is the actual final boss at this point.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Redcrimson posted:

Also, It's seems more and more obvious that Ougi is the actual final boss at this point.

Well she did pretty much say she is/is like the darkness. If that's right I don't know how I would feel about the final boss being supernatural justice incarnate

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
"Sorry, I bit your tongue" :smith:

That was one of the best Monogatari episodes ever. It's sad to see Hachikuji go, but at least it ended on a good note. Now we have to deal with Ougi. I knew she'd be trouble, and boy does it look like shes loving trouble. I doubt we're going to bother with that yet. Let's not forget about Nadeko.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

i300 posted:

Now we have to deal with Ougi. I knew she'd be trouble, and boy does it look like shes loving trouble.

:argh:Nisiooooooooooo:argh: you no good son of a bitch.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Pour one out for our favorite apparition/ghost/snail/little girl. :japan:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I am legitimately surprised - who would've guessed that this dumb show would be able to bring emotion from my icy heart.

What are our loose ends here? The job Araragi did for Gaen, and whatever he was doing before he showed up to save Hanekawa from that tiger? e: Oh, and Medusa Nadeko I guess.

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.
Hachikuji. Best girl. Your air time was the best. It was good having you.

PrivRyan fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 17, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn :smith:

HellCopter posted:

I am legitimately surprised - who would've guessed that this dumb show would be able to bring emotion from my icy heart.

What are our loose ends here? The job Araragi did for Gaen, and whatever he was doing before he showed up to save Hanekawa from that tiger? e: Oh, and Medusa Nadeko I guess.

For this season, I think we only have one more arc left? The appropriately named "Hitagi End", I believe. With Suruga Devil being an OVA like Neko Black. I think that was what Araragi was doing during Tsubasa Tiger, but I could be wrong because the timeline jumps are starting to get to me too.

E: I think it's interesting how the the "Shinobu" and "Mayoi" arcs have actually developed the opposite characters seemingly more.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 17, 2013

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

:argh:Nisiooooooooooo:argh: you no good son of a bitch.
Thanks. You made me finally look poo poo up and get my timeline straight. I'm so jealous of people who have the books, it's so much easier to cross-reference poo poo. This is all kind of silly if you're not like me and actually pay attention to dates, but anyhow.

Onimonogatari began August 21st and ended presumably a few days later. Ougi meets Nadeko on October 30th - two whole months after Hachikuji passed away. (Has she been looking for Hachikuji for two whole months?)

The epilogue for Oni is set four months after, which places it somewhere in late February or early March December, Jesus Christ. :cripes:

Koimonogatari is going to be interesting.

Nate RFB posted:

With Suruga Devil being an OVA like Neko Black. I think that was what Araragi was doing during Tsubasa Tiger, but I could be wrong because the timeline jumps are starting to get to me too.
It definitely is. Neko Black and Oni overlap: Hanekawa runs into Hachikuji searching for her backpack in the beginning of Neko White, and Black Hanekawa runs into a disconnected Shinobu somewhere in the middle. Hanekawa also hears about Araragi tag-teaming with Kanbaru on some unknown mission during the arc. It all fits.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 17, 2013

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Uh, to set things a bit straight.

Ep 20: Onimonogatari starts Aug 21st, same day as Kabukimonogatari ends. Mayoi passes on Aug 23rd. Ougi talks to Koyomi in the classroom 4 months later, in late December.

And then timeline spoiler for Hanamonogatari (Kanbaru arc): April 9th to 21st, the following year, POST-graduation.

Considering Hana came out (and thus was read by me) way before Koimonogatari, you have no idea how confusing it was, particularly in regards to Ougi. I had to go back to the previous book and make sure I hadn't gone insane. In the end I just decided Nishio was mad.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

So I'm a dumb and can't months. :cripes:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea when things happened in monogatari but I'm under the impression that beyond some basic order stuff it largely doesn't matter.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...

The Devil Tesla posted:

I have no idea when things happened in monogatari but I'm under the impression that beyond some basic order stuff it largely doesn't matter.

As seen by the discussion above, it kind of does matter. I'd say that Nisio jumps around the timeline because he likes to mess with us.

I think it might be easier to understand when you read the books. I really wish I could read them all, but so little of them are translated.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

And the few that have been translated are translated like poo poo. Which isn't exactly surprising, considering the very special relationship Nisio has with the Japanese language and the fact that most translators in general have more enthusiasm than skill, but it's still aggravating. I will rather wait an eternity for Shaft to poop out Kizumonogatari than pick up the awful, awful fanlation that's floating in the net like a Mars bar in a swimming pool.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
You know, the thing I find weird about Ougi's words at the end...

Okay, she goes after oddities who are lying to themselves... But then why did she go after Nadeko? She's a girl who could be an oddity, but in the same way Hanekawa is -- she has a mindset that lends itself to it, but she still doesn't have the power. Especially interesting in light of her attempt to speech to Araragi in the same way earlier on, but he ignored that entirely... And since Shinobu is basically the living manifestation of his lingering vampiric abilities, he isn't really lying to himself either. Some (he never says "I'll use my vampire abilities," he says "Shinobu will use hers") but not much.

So yeah, that seems pretty transparently bullshit, doesn't it? But considering Araragi's plan at the end, he seems to agree. It's nice to see him proactively poking the big mystery with a stick.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Ougi's role is to bring stories to their proper ending. That's what oddities are after all, tales with power. The law of nature will only act against self deceiving oddities, but Ougi has no reason to stick to the same limits.

The little mermaid must turn to foam. The big bad wolf must be killed by the woodcutter. The wicked witch burned in her oven. A story deprived of it's end is hardly a story at all.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Siivola posted:

Thanks. You made me finally look poo poo up and get my timeline straight. I'm so jealous of people who have the books, it's so much easier to cross-reference poo poo. This is all kind of silly if you're not like me and actually pay attention to dates, but anyhow.

Onimonogatari began August 21st and ended presumably a few days later. Ougi meets Nadeko on October 30th - two whole months after Hachikuji passed away. (Has she been looking for Hachikuji for two whole months?)

The epilogue for Oni is set four months after, which places it somewhere in late February or early March December, Jesus Christ. :cripes:

Koimonogatari is going to be interesting.

It definitely is. Neko Black and Oni overlap: Hanekawa runs into Hachikuji searching for her backpack in the beginning of Neko White, and Black Hanekawa runs into a disconnected Shinobu somewhere in the middle. Hanekawa also hears about Araragi tag-teaming with Kanbaru on some unknown mission during the arc. It all fits.

So Shinobu Time and Mayoi Jianghi both span the events of White. Then Nadeko Medusa happens 2 months later, and 2 months after that Araragi tells Ougi about Hachikuji.Some time after that the Nadeko showdown occurs, and some time after that (according to darkgrey) is when Suruga Devil occurs.

So what exactly is Hitagi End going to cover in this timeline? Is this the Nadeko showdown, or something different?

veekie posted:

Ougi's role is to bring stories to their proper ending. That's what oddities are after all, tales with power. The law of nature will only act against self deceiving oddities, but Ougi has no reason to stick to the same limits.

The little mermaid must turn to foam. The big bad wolf must be killed by the woodcutter. The wicked witch burned in her oven. A story deprived of it's end is hardly a story at all.

But what about Nadeko's story was left a loose end? In that case, it seems more like Ougi wasn't satisfied with the ending and kicked it onto a different track because she saw Nadeko as a perpetrator pretending to be a victim. I think she's convoluting that law to satisfy her personal sense of justice. By comparison, the "darkness" is an objective application of the law.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 17, 2013

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

According to the trailer tailing Nadeko Snake (:downsrim:) the showdown is due March, when the Scooby Gang graduates.

In other words, I have no idea.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Siivola posted:

Actually, I think I was wrong. Tsubasa Tiger, Mayoi Jiang Shi, and Shinobu Time all seem to take place over August 20-23. Suruga Devil isn't until April 9th of the next year. Soooo... What messed up Araragi's clothes when he met back up with Hanekawa at the end of Tsubasa Tiger?

As an aside I think it's much easier to keep track of the arcs by the character names rather than the -gatari titles.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think that whatever problem Gaen needed help with was what got Araragi dirty when he met up with Hanekawa. It has to be separate from Suruga Devil for that to make sense.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Listening to Kaerimichi will never be the same again :qq:.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

HellCopter posted:

Icy heart, reporting in. Sat there most of the time thinking "Huh, I guess it wouldn't change much if she were gone... I can't stop chuckling at how drawn-out and sappy this is becoming... and now I can't stop making 'she's 10 years older than she looks, I swear!' excuses jokes."

Still a fine episode, on par with the series, but I think I'm doing it wrong.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I had no idea what the gently caress she was doing walking like that. Then you see she's on Ononoki's shoulders. :unsmith:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

Icy heart, reporting in. Sat there most of the time thinking "Huh, I guess it wouldn't change much if she were gone... I can't stop chuckling at how drawn-out and sappy this is becoming... and now I can't stop making 'she's 10 years older than she looks, I swear!' excuses jokes."

Still a fine episode, on par with the series, but I think I'm doing it wrong.

Just think of it as the ending to a KEY VN except not terrible. :colbert:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Just think of it as the ending to a KEY VN except not terrible. :colbert:

Ahem. The endings of the only 2 KEY things I've seen (Clannad and Angel Beats) both owned.

But the comparison to KEY does work. This didn't hit as emotionally hard because it was being pretty silly the entire time, which climaxes when we see Mayoi sitting on Ononoki's shoulders.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

ViggyNash posted:

Ahem. The ending of ... Angel Beats ... owned.

:suicide:

To each their own, I guess. I thought the ending revelations killed an otherwise great show.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

HoneyBoy posted:

Pour one out for our favorite apparition/ghost/snail/little girl. :japan:

It may have been ten years past due, but she was still gone too soon.

lizurcainnon
May 5, 2008
Speaking of endings, there was a small change to the credits scenes for this episode.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

lizurcainnon posted:

Speaking of endings, there was a small change to the credits scenes for this episode.

Oh wow. Found it. Icy heart slightly melted.

Last time: http://i.imgur.com/sr3UFD4.jpg

This time: http://i.imgur.com/VpI6COL.jpg

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh right, Shinobu's still trapped in hell, isn't she. After all this Mayoi-centric heart touching I completely forgot about her. That explains why she's also missing from the ed. But we all know why Mayoi disappears (RIP).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ViggyNash posted:

Oh right, Shinobu's still trapped in hell, isn't she. After all this Mayoi-centric heart touching I completely forgot about her. That explains why she's also missing from the ed. But we all know why Mayoi disappears (RIP).

I'm pretty sure she isn't. We already saw what happened to her after being separated from Araragi. She goes and talks to Black Hanekawa, as seen in the first arc of the season (which based on Araragi's phone call takes place on the same day as this episode).

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
I feel like I need to go rewatch the first couple of arcs now.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I finished reading Koyomimonogatari last night, which is the 14th goddamn book in this series. Considering the previous book was the worst entry so far, this volume was surprisingly good, even succeeding in making me feel a bit excited about reading the next instalment, that should be arriving next week. I thought I'd timed finishing this one on the day the next would arrive, but apparently the postal service had other plans.

Unlike all the other books, Koyomimonogatari is a collection of 12 shorter stories, taking place each month of the year starting from April just after the events of Kizumonogatari. Every story focuses on one of the women in the series, giving some more casual conversations to flesh out the characters (and the world surrounding them), while they look into prospective spookiness. Not all that much of it seems to bring the on-going plot forward, but it's very enjoyable to just spend some time with these people, and in particular, to be reunited with a recently departed girl, if only for a brief few pages.

No idea how they would animate this volume, since the chapters only average about 40 pages. Miniwebisodes?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Well, Kaiki is a lot more entertaining than I remember. I guess all it took was a whole episode of relentlessly trolling for no good reason.

But what is it about Suruga, or more likely Gaen, that draws him to take a risky and time-consuming job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Myriad Truths posted:

Well, Kaiki is a lot more entertaining than I remember. I guess all it took was a whole episode of relentlessly trolling for no good reason.

But what is it about Suruga, or more likely Gaen, that draws him to take a risky and time-consuming job?

See Hanamonogatari, which ... is not out yet. -_-

Edit: I snorted loudly when I realized that if they follow the pattern of previous arcs, we'll have goddamn Kaiki singing the OP this time. :D

darkgray fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 23, 2013

• Locked thread