Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Here we go, see if you can make heads or tails of this:

EOOQE posted:

Thanks , exact what im thinking atm about EUIV.
A Game like EUIV is no problem to handle by a modern PC. Even with our MEIOU&Taxes Mod there is NO reason for such an poor performance.
But , its a problem we see in many games over the last year. The Company gives a poo poo about optimizing their Engines.

And when i read Johan Andersson interview i get angry !!! :mad: :

Shut Up and handle like you talk ! Where is a Subforum for Modders ? Where is proper documention for Modders ? ...
This is a behavior that makes Modders stop modding ....!

Seelmeister posted:

You posted this in the EUIV - user mods sub forum...

On a serious note, while I can understand frustration when you seem to be encountering a brick wall, Paradox have an excellent record of supporting mods through providing documentation, and generally make their games as accessible as possible to allow for modifications. In this forum I can see two stickied posts by the developers providing some explanations. Sure, there is always more to be done, but the game has not been out terribly long, and understandably Paradox have focused on other issues in the first few patches for the game.

Every Paradox title, even smaller ones such as March of the Eagles, tend to have a large amount of very impressive mods, and this is testament to the relatively accessible game files. I think you maybe need to calm down a little with the language and tone of your posts on this.

EOOQE posted:

Ahh , ok you want the game played like this here ?
Ok then ..

You know what i mean with subforum , i mean subforum for the big mods ! Like we have for EU3 or HOI3
Why not for CK2 or EUIV ? Sorry , i dont get this. There is no reason for this. But a lot for doing it.
And please do not call two stickys a proper documentation , the most documention here, as also in CK2 , are coming from Users , not from Paradox.
I asked several times about the map size for example , what is possible and what not, max. min. parameters etc.
And what i got ? Nothing .. no answer or when answerd like : ask the community :glare:

Or what about the several Question that are still open in the ** Rules for User Made Mods and Edits *** Thread ?
No answer there too ...

To be clear , i love your Games !
otherwise i wouldn't be here .. but you have such a huge potential with this Games and waste it with simply lack of communication.
If you dont have the time or the manpower , this is no problem if you just would talk to us :)

And finaly on a personal note : if you dont want critic here , just fanboys , tell me and leave this Forum.

Seelmeister posted:

First up, I am not a developer, just a humble demi-mod, and I was posting in a personal capacity.

I did not say that I considered two stickies complete documentation, but the point I am making is that your response seemed to be an over reaction. Indeed, you acted liked Paradox were actively discouraging mods, and you stated that there was not a modding sub-forum. The second part is patently false, and it seems to me that PAradox do a fairly good job of supporting mods. Just look back at any of the older games forums, and you'll see there is a long tradition of excellent user mods. To be clear, these mods are the result of modders hard work and dedication, and I take nothing away from them, but they have been made possible by Paradox trying to keep as much of their games in text file format. There is amble evidence of this support; a developer posting to help solve modification issues soon after launch, adding more options for modders in patch 1.2 and responding to gigau's bug report on this very issue.

Sure, there is another sticky which contains user added documentation - testament to the great community here, but that does not negate the fact that the developers have provided some modding documentation, which was my point.

As to there being questions opened, have you seen the number of posts which appear in the bug report and tech support forums? Paradox are a relatively small developer, and do their best to answer as many requests as possible, but if the developers did answer every question posted on the forum they would have no time to developer or patch games!

Now, on your last point, I did not suggest in any part of my post that there ought not to be any critique in the forum. If you re-read my post, you'll see I suggest that you calm down the language and tone of your post, not that you do not make the points you did. You are perfectly free to critique any aspect of the game, and indeed constructive criticism is essential for the games to improve, but what you have posted above looks like a rant, not constructive criticism.

EOOQE posted:

I gave up ...

Same as usual , not a simple answer to simple question.
I asked you about Subforums for BIG MODS , i know there a General Subforum for each game.... so why not anymore ?
It would be better for all, for the modders like me to keep track of their owen work , and for the whole forum to get a kind of structure into it.

Documentation : Yes there is some , but also most of the time its only be updated if there is a questions about specific things.
Where is the problem to put a real wiki up with proper documentation ? It sure takes some manpower , yes. But on the other hand many questions would be automatic solved , ergo : more time for the Devs to make patches instead of answering forum questions.

And what had the *** Rules for User Made Mods and Edits *** Forum to do with Devs ? Nothing ... this a simple law and Company Questions ...
Castellon put up some rules and we got questions that are very important to modders like me and others. In terms of copyright etc. I think this is very important for everyone.
Sure, this needs time , but come on , 3 weeks ?
A simple answer like : "im on it and ask the right person and will get back to you guys..." would be all we want , also looks like too much to ask ...

Ya, maybe my post sounds like a rant , but if you asked the same questions over and over again , there is a point reached when people get angry.
And im not speaking here only for myself...

Seelmeister posted:

It is not my decision to create new forums or not, and this is not the place to suggest it. I'd also point out that posting a rant is generally not a good way to have someone create anything for you, either. My reply was to your post which contained a rant about the lack of a user mods forum, clearly not correct, and that is why I highlighted it.

Well, this doesn't make any sense. Creating a detailed wiki would indeed take some manpower, so how can you state that and then conclude that it would result in more time for the devs to concentrate on the game? If a wiki were posted, there would be further questions asked. I have never seen anyone post any type of documentation about a videogame online which did not create new questions to be answered - so it is very naive to think this would be the case here. The devs have provided some documentation, and your original post suggested that they had not. I think that given the game has recently been released, and that the devs have stated they are working on patch 1.3, it is not unreasonable to expect that this would take priority. While providing modders with more documentation would indeed be welcomed by the modding community, and would ultimately benefit all those who play the mods, Paradox are naturally going to prioritise the base game so soon after release.

Like I have said above, given the huge number of questions that are asked of Paradox on these forums every day, there is only so much that can be done. Castellon has already posted more than 45 times in this thread, most recently just 5 days ago. If you had read that post, you would note that he asked users not to post questions in this thread, but rather to send a pm. Have you done so, and was this three weeks ago? If not then I think you are misrepresenting what has happened with your post. It has not been three weeks since Castellon responded in the thread, and you have been advised that it is not the correct place to ask questions, and been asked to approach Castellon directly by PM with them.

EOOQE posted:

Ahh , ok you call me a liar or not able to read ? There is some point reached now where it is enough ! Or have you Fun to fight this out here in public ?
And yes, i was in contact with Castellon weeks ago. And he never said write me a PM if you have questions about the rule :

"Guys a reminder that this thread is about the rules, if posting related stuff, start a new thread, and PM me to look at it if I am needed. "

He said this because the thread gets somewhat confusing and a little out of control and to get back on track.
We should instead start owen threads with our questions and send him a PM with the link to the thread !! Thats a difference to send him questions via PM or not ?

But nevermind , i see we cant get on one line here , you have your view of things , i have mine ...
Consequence for me is not asking any more question or pointing on things that could be changed and stop modding ... but i know , you dont care.
If you now want go further here please let us do it in private ... this is a thread about MEIOU&Taxes.
You made your point and now its enough.

Castellon is an admin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Looks to me like fairly standard Modder Entitlement; "you need modders more than modders need you, Paradox!" as though Modders would just run off and create their own, better games if they weren't distracted by taking the obvious failures published by some Scandanavian game company and building them into something playable through the application of their sheer genius, so clearly Paradox should give them free sub-boards and pay their hosting fees or whatever the hell it is he's talking about.

Paradox has employed several modders. The problem is so many of them have a complete inability to appreciate that they are standing on the shoulders of giants and start to believe the circle-jerking over their own genius.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Modder meltdowns are amazing. I feel bad for Seelmeister trying to calmly explain things while this dude just gets more and more angry about how PARADOX IS DISRESPECTING US!!!!

Still not as amusing as the one from that Skyrim modder who threatened to sue people for copyright infringement for modifying his mod, but its still pretty good.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pimpmust posted:

Something about COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL, DO NOT STEAL and rules to... support that? Uh, gently caress if I know but Paradox modders are the kind of people to have a meltdown if their stuff shows up in some other free mod.

His copyright complaints seem to be uneven enforcement of the "include no copyrighted material in your mod" rule. Which is sort of fair. There are a lot of copyright infringing mods that get away with it because they're popular. Like the GoT mod for CK2. For those mods it's a "wait for a cease and desist" policy, and with some other mods the forum staff are more proactive.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 14, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Thank you for those quotes, I suspected it was the usual self-entitled sperging but it's always a pleasure to read the leadup to the ragequit. :allears:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Looks to me like fairly standard Modder Entitlement; "you need modders more than modders need you, Paradox!" as though Modders would just run off and create their own, better games if they weren't distracted by taking the obvious failures published by some Scandanavian game company and building them into something playable through the application of their sheer genius, so clearly Paradox should give them free sub-boards and pay their hosting fees or whatever the hell it is he's talking about.

Maybe he should take his business to some sort of... World Stage?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

ZearothK posted:

Maybe he should take his business to some sort of... World Stage?

Maybe he already did :v:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
To be sorta fair to the guy, it looks like he genuinely has trouble reading and understanding English and its nuances, and doesn't actually know what is being said.

On the other hand he's also clearly reading the worst possible interpretation into the text and acting on it as though it were absolute truth and he couldn't possibly have misunderstood the implicit insult. So gently caress 'im.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Supply thoughts...

I don't think it really even needs to be that complicated. Supply should tie into the already existing organizational hierarchy. The current "all supplies come from Berlin" design is pretty nonsensical. Divisions should draw supplies from the corps headquarters. Corps draw supplies from Armies. Armies from Army Groups. Army Groups from Theaters, then theaters from the capital. The provinces where HQs are located should act as supply depots. Forces out of command range are also out of resupply range. Add a negative modifier to move supplies up the chain of command. IE, if a Corps in France is oversupplied, it will take a long time to move those supplies to a Corps on the Eastern Front. Voila, you've created a much more realistic and challenging supply model. Add another button so you can pick and choose which units to prioritize for supply and you're done.

This way, if you are on the offensive and move too fast, you might outrun your supply chain which has to leapfrog from location to location. Likewise, a defensive collapse may result in losing your precious supply stockpiles.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Posting in here because Paradox Devs actually read this thread. Can you tell me if the new Appointment succession law can be modded so that non Holy Orders can use it? The possibility of representing nonfeudal states in CK2 is just too tempting to pass up.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

All this modder meltdown reminded me that I never released my balkanized-North America mod I was working on last month. So without too much fanfare, I present...

Divided We Stand
Version 0.01!

It doesn't have the Mexican states broken up yet, but the pops and starting militaries have been adjusted (protip: your neighbors will sell their starting armies to save a buck, so don't hesitate to wipe them out). It's interesting to see the alliances that spring up and the the nations that grow each game. I've not been able to predict a clear "super power" that rises each time I play - usually it's someone different.

Cores have been modified so that borders should keep moving and changing hands. Keep an eye on your insurgency, though, as rebels are bound to rise up demanding that you become the United States again. Or, you know, try reforming the United States? It's up to you.

I haven't had a game where Canada was created yet, but I'm hoping that by releasing this and letting you guys play with it, you'll be able to explore avenues I haven't discovered yet in my own mod. Please help with the development by offering critique and comment. I'd like to release this officially on the Paradox forums before year's end.

Let me know what you think. :)

Download the mod: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ru9xioexh2678hg/DWS.zip

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I made a mod for HOI2 once that was good enough and simple enough that it was actually incorporated into the later patches for Armageddon, and still appears today in their successors (DH and AOD). When this happened I was thrilled that my work was good enough for the developers to include in everyone's game, not disappointed that they had taken my stuff. Then again I've never been able to understand the fanaticism displayed by some of Paradox's more hardcore fans, especially about borders in the Balkans.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also, I feel like I've discovered a pretty serious flaw in the latest version of Kaiserreich. For ships, the game can't decide if its Defence stats are a Vulnerability stat (i.e. lower numbers are better) or a Defensiveness stat (i.e. higher numbers are better). Based on the terms used (Air/Sea/Land Defence, rather than Air/Sea/Land vulnerability in vanilla DH) and the fact that land units seem to work as intended, with better units getting higher numbers and defending better, it seems like they're going for a defensiveness approach. But for ships they've implemented it backwards. Ships get lower defence numbers as they improve in class, and better ships seem to sink much faster. Supercarriers will go down to naval bombers in one hour because adding a CAG to them reduces their Air Defence stat to 1. And just in case you think I've done something wrong, I can guarantee that something isn't implemented right because if you're adding a new carrier build, adding a CAG brigade decreases the Air Defence stat, while adding an AA or Improved Hull brigade increases it.

This is actually a pretty gamebreaking bug when you get to the really late game, because the more you research ships, the more fragile they get.

e: in fact there are a lot of anomalies in the system. Adding glider artillery or tanks to paratroops lowers their defensiveness, for example. Seems like restoring the old HOI2 system of high numbers making good defence might have been more trouble than it was worth.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 17, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ExtraNoise posted:

All this modder meltdown reminded me that I never released my balkanized-North America mod I was working on last month. So without too much fanfare, I present...

Divided We Stand
Version 0.01!

It doesn't have the Mexican states broken up yet, but the pops and starting militaries have been adjusted (protip: your neighbors will sell their starting armies to save a buck, so don't hesitate to wipe them out). It's interesting to see the alliances that spring up and the the nations that grow each game. I've not been able to predict a clear "super power" that rises each time I play - usually it's someone different.

Cores have been modified so that borders should keep moving and changing hands. Keep an eye on your insurgency, though, as rebels are bound to rise up demanding that you become the United States again. Or, you know, try reforming the United States? It's up to you.

I haven't had a game where Canada was created yet, but I'm hoping that by releasing this and letting you guys play with it, you'll be able to explore avenues I haven't discovered yet in my own mod. Please help with the development by offering critique and comment. I'd like to release this officially on the Paradox forums before year's end.

Let me know what you think. :)

Download the mod: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ru9xioexh2678hg/DWS.zip

For some reason the mod doesn't seem to activate! I put the game files in My Documents/Paradox Games/Victoria II/mod/ folder, and checked the box at startup, but none of the new nations appear at the start! I just get the regular default Mexico/USA situation.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

For some reason the mod doesn't seem to activate! I put the game files in My Documents/Paradox Games/Victoria II/mod/ folder, and checked the box at startup, but none of the new nations appear at the start! I just get the regular default Mexico/USA situation.

Oh, right - it's all the same in the 1836 start. Click on A House Divided for the 1861 start.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Got a really weird glitch in a DH mod project which I can't figure out. Equatoria (EQA) can't render its shield and flag correctly in-game, but it can render them correctly in the country select bit of the menu and all that. If a shield and flag from a country I know works properly is copied over for Equatoria (making a copy of shield_ENG as shield_EQA for example), the problem persists and the game won't properly render the graphics. I'd rather not switch all the work over to another tag and hope that all works and renders there properly-- anyone know what's up with this?

In-game:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ExtraNoise posted:

Oh, right - it's all the same in the 1836 start. Click on A House Divided for the 1861 start.

Ah. I found the problem. I had to put it in the actual game folder, instead of the Paradox mod folder in My Documents.

I tried it for a bit and I have some basic suggestions:

• California needs starting technologies
  • Accepted cultures -- some nations need some way to accept cultures other than Yankee/Dixie, as some of them have very small populations

Are you thinking of adding new decisions and events and things? I'm a reasonably decent scripter with experience in Ck2, so I'm quite familiar with Paradoxese.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

In case anyone was having the Kaiserreich instability I was, I found the reason: DH it seems doesn't play nice with giant gently caress-off resolutions. When I toned it down to 1024x768 it stopped crashing.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Kavak posted:

Someone made a good theme song for a modern day Paradox game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouTsdUhDjsg

This is loving perfect

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Got this video in the sidebar for that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JheaxfTaY3Q

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

vyelkin posted:

e: in fact there are a lot of anomalies in the system. Adding glider artillery or tanks to paratroops lowers their defensiveness, for example. Seems like restoring the old HOI2 system of high numbers making good defence might have been more trouble than it was worth.
The 1.03 patch added the "Air/Sea/Land vulnerability" as text. there is no real change in the defense stats, just the way it's described.

Ofaloaf posted:

Got a really weird glitch in a DH mod project which I can't figure out. Equatoria (EQA) can't render its shield and flag correctly in-game, but it can render them correctly in the country select bit of the menu and all that.

You should be using 24bit BMP for it. Have you done that? You should also check if the TAG is correct as well.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Also, I feel like I've discovered a pretty serious flaw in the latest version of Kaiserreich. For ships, the game can't decide if its Defence stats are a Vulnerability stat (i.e. lower numbers are better) or a Defensiveness stat (i.e. higher numbers are better). Based on the terms used (Air/Sea/Land Defence, rather than Air/Sea/Land vulnerability in vanilla DH) and the fact that land units seem to work as intended, with better units getting higher numbers and defending better, it seems like they're going for a defensiveness approach. But for ships they've implemented it backwards. Ships get lower defence numbers as they improve in class, and better ships seem to sink much faster. Supercarriers will go down to naval bombers in one hour because adding a CAG to them reduces their Air Defence stat to 1. And just in case you think I've done something wrong, I can guarantee that something isn't implemented right because if you're adding a new carrier build, adding a CAG brigade decreases the Air Defence stat, while adding an AA or Improved Hull brigade increases it.

This is actually a pretty gamebreaking bug when you get to the really late game, because the more you research ships, the more fragile they get.

I noticed it too. Don't worry, that should be fixed in the next Beta if they include the fixes I proposed- they won't be perfect, but new stuff will no longer be weaker than old stuff. I think someone else fixed the battleship thing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Supeerme posted:

The 1.03 patch added the "Air/Sea/Land vulnerability" as text. there is no real change in the defense stats, just the way it's described.

That's in Darkest Hour vanilla. Kaiserreich restores the old Defence system, complete with high stats being better.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Hey, Ubik ran off and made his own game, and last I checked he technically owns EUIV.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Supeerme posted:

You should be using 24bit BMP for it. Have you done that? You should also check if the TAG is correct as well.
I don't think the correct BMP sort is the problem-- I just quickly and lazily switched the tag to another country I haven't messed with at all (U10, Dutch Socialist Union) and the flag also doesn't display correctly with that tag there in southern Sudan, either. It's the weirdest thing.

e: Oh! I had a loose flag_ext = _14 line in there that didn't align with any shield_TAG file. :v:

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 17, 2013

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

For anyone downloading the new Kaiserreich beta, please go to the misc.txt file and change the combat mode variable (What controls the Toughness and Defensiveness vs. Offensive Vulnerability and Defensive Vulnerability) from 0 to 1.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Did the new Kaiserreich beta fundamentally change any of the combat? I'm playing Russia and I can't for the life of me win a battle (defensive or offensive, doesn't matter) unless I've got at least 10 divs more. I even lost a battle with 3 INF against 1 CAV that wasn't even dug in for heaven's sake.
Also, is the Worker's Strike event supposed to be triggerable during the Civil War? poo poo's ridiculous.

Edit: Reloaded as Mongolia because they annexed the guys to their south real quick and their cavalry is moving at 2.7 km/h through mountains. What the gently caress?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 19, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

GrossMurpel posted:

Did the new Kaiserreich beta fundamentally change any of the combat? I'm playing Russia and I can't for the life of me win a battle (defensive or offensive, doesn't matter) unless I've got at least 10 divs more. I even lost a battle with 3 INF against 1 CAV that wasn't even dug in for heaven's sake.
Also, is the Worker's Strike event supposed to be triggerable during the Civil War? poo poo's ridiculous.

Edit: Reloaded as Mongolia because they annexed the guys to their south real quick and their cavalry is moving at 2.7 km/h through mountains. What the gently caress?

Always bet on the Khan!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

Did you implement the fix I mentioned? I don't know what they did to the unit stats specifically, but I'm not seeing anything in the PDox forums thread about combat being bizarre.

The strike sounds like it's WAD- why wouldn't the proletariat elsewhere in Russia sympathize with the Soviets and try to help them? It probably does need a different version though, that part of the mod is old as hell.

EDIT: Are you saying that speed is too fast or too slow? Because it sounds about right for guiding a few thousand horses through mountain passes.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 19, 2013

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kavak posted:

Did you implement the fix I mentioned? I don't know what they did to the unit stats specifically, but I'm not seeing anything in the PDox forums thread about combat being bizarre.

The strike sounds like it's WAD- why wouldn't the proletariat elsewhere in Russia sympathize with the Soviets and try to help them? It probably does need a different version though, that part of the mod is old as hell.

EDIT: Are you saying that speed is too fast or too slow? Because it sounds about right for guiding a few thousand horses through mountain passes.

In the file it says the "combat mode" variable only governs a few names, whether it's called toughness or offensive vulnerability, for example.
About the strike, turns out it's just a generic event as long as you're above 20 dissent :v:.
And I meant speed is too fast, in my beta 2 games it would always go down to the minimum of 0.8 when cavalry or armored divs crossed jungle or mountains.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

In the file it says the "combat mode" variable only governs a few names, whether it's called toughness or offensive vulnerability, for example.
About the strike, turns out it's just a generic event as long as you're above 20 dissent :v:.
And I meant speed is too fast, in my beta 2 games it would always go down to the minimum of 0.8 when cavalry or armored divs crossed jungle or mountains.

No, it governs the entire logic of combat, not just the names. You need to switch it to 1 for everything to work.

As for the speed, I kind of agree, but the people complained nonstop about things being too slow, so we gave them want they wanted. Units will only slow to the minimum speed when in combat.

EDIT: poo poo, you're right. Holy crap I hate this stupid vulnerability system.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 19, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Movement before this update was hellishly slow. It's still not exactly fast, it took months to march across Siberia as Russia, but it feels like it's a thing I can achieve before the game's timeframe ends.

I've not had any particular battle troubles personally but I've not played terribly much of the new version yet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

Movement before this update was hellishly slow. It's still not exactly fast, it took months to march across Siberia as Russia, but it feels like it's a thing I can achieve before the game's timeframe ends.

I've not had any particular battle troubles personally but I've not played terribly much of the new version yet.

Well you aren't really supposed to march across Siberia anyways, that's what strategic redeployment is for. Unless that's not a thing in Kaiserreich (I never played it)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well you aren't really supposed to march across Siberia anyways, that's what strategic redeployment is for. Unless that's not a thing in Kaiserreich (I never played it)

Just going from province to province during war could take months, especially in mountainous regions, so it was really hard to fight in places like Mongolia like GrossMurpel said.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Strategic redeployment is in KR, but the thing is there's quite a bit of potential for fighting in areas like Siberia, the hinterlands of South America, and sub-Saharan Africa due to the setup, and obviously you can't strat deploy into enemy territory, so it's a bit more acute.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What I did in the most recent beta, when movement speeds were so slow that advancing into any of these territories meant arriving with 0 org and getting immediately bounced, was to attack with only a few divisions at a time and leave the rest behind on support attack. Those divisions would rest up, and when the province was finally taken by the attacking unit which got immediately bounced, the supporters would strategically redeploy into the province, which would only take a few days. They would arrive with only half org, but that was usually enough to withstand the counterattack and hold the province.

This strategy probably wouldn't work against a country with a big and powerful army, but playing as Russia and having pretty overwhelming land superiority it was more than enough to beat the Central Asian and Chinese countries, Mongolia, Transamur, and Manchuria. I assume it'll still be viable in the new patch, if the movement speeds still aren't high enough.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

vyelkin posted:

What I did in the most recent beta, when movement speeds were so slow that advancing into any of these territories meant arriving with 0 org and getting immediately bounced, was to attack with only a few divisions at a time and leave the rest behind on support attack. Those divisions would rest up, and when the province was finally taken by the attacking unit which got immediately bounced, the supporters would strategically redeploy into the province, which would only take a few days. They would arrive with only half org, but that was usually enough to withstand the counterattack and hold the province.

This strategy probably wouldn't work against a country with a big and powerful army, but playing as Russia and having pretty overwhelming land superiority it was more than enough to beat the Central Asian and Chinese countries, Mongolia, Transamur, and Manchuria. I assume it'll still be viable in the new patch, if the movement speeds still aren't high enough.

That is what I had to do when playing as Brazil in KR. The front between La Plata and Brazil has several large provinces with low infrastructure, so the AI tends to stalemate and they spend entire playthroughs not doing much at all.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I wish someone would mod Darkest Hour so you had three movement speeds for going into enemy territory:

1. Blitz: 100% speed, lose organisation as you go.

2. Advance: 75% speed, no organisation loss.

3. Cautious advance: 50% speed, regain organisation at half stationary rate.

It's pretty dumb that there are numerous provinces you can't enter without losing all your organisation, and often the terrain and weather in these provinces are fine, it's just the arbitrarily-decided size of the province that's the problem.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

No, it governs the entire logic of combat, not just the names. You need to switch it to 1 for everything to work.

As for the speed, I kind of agree, but the people complained nonstop about things being too slow, so we gave them want they wanted. Units will only slow to the minimum speed when in combat.

EDIT: poo poo, you're right. Holy crap I hate this stupid vulnerability system.
Why not just stick with the default DH values? That was working out well enough before whatever patch it was made everything move at a snail's rate and values starting yo-yo-ing up and down with all the following patches and hotfixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Why not just stick with the default DH values? That was working out well enough before whatever patch it was made everything move at a snail's rate and values starting yo-yo-ing up and down with all the following patches and hotfixes.

I don't know, I'm not in charge of unit design, but I think the problem had just as much to do with Darkest Hour itself changing things around as us. I haven't heard any complaints on the KR or Paradox forums, so I think we're good now, though.

• Locked thread