Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
You can get the same price with 6gb of data, filter my posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ryan_woody posted:

Because I suspended my contract for a year because of a military deployment, I still have an unlimited / non-tiered plan. My upgrade / renewal time is coming up in January (and my Galaxy Nexus is very long in the tooth) but I would rather not use the subsidized upgrade.

I'm less worried about the unlimited data (since I only use 2 - 3 GB per month) than the higher price. Right now I only pay ~$87 (with an employer discount), whereas with the new tiered plan I'm looking at closer to $110.

Do I have any recourse here? If I were on AT&T I would just buy a Nexus 5 out of pocket, but since Verizon and Google can't end their pissing match that's not an option. Any suggestions?

Get an extra line -> transfer your upgrade to that line -> transfer phone back to main line. No plan change.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

FordPRefectLL posted:

You can get the same price with 6gb of data, filter my posts.

Found the codes, will the rep give me my upgrade a month and a half early (January 4) AND give me this deal?

Hell, just PM me which store you work at. From the goonmeet thread it seem like you are pretty close.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Get an extra line -> transfer your upgrade to that line -> transfer phone back to main line. No plan change.

Would I have to keep the extra line still?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yeah, I don't know why that was suggested when you want to keep the same contract price. At minimum, that would increase it $9.99/month.

Otherwise, you could cancel the additional line, but that would generate an ETF, removing the benefit of doing an upgrade price in the first place.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

ryan_woody posted:

Because I suspended my contract for a year because of a military deployment, I still have an unlimited / non-tiered plan. My upgrade / renewal time is coming up in January (and my Galaxy Nexus is very long in the tooth) but I would rather not use the subsidized upgrade.

I'm less worried about the unlimited data (since I only use 2 - 3 GB per month) than the higher price. Right now I only pay ~$87 (with an employer discount), whereas with the new tiered plan I'm looking at closer to $110.

Do I have any recourse here? If I were on AT&T I would just buy a Nexus 5 out of pocket, but since Verizon and Google can't end their pissing match that's not an option. Any suggestions?

Buy a Nexus 5 and port your number to Aio Wireless? $55/month for Unlimited talk, text, and 2GB of LTE data (256kbps after) or $70/month for 7GB. They use AT&Ts network.

Honestly, if you're going to buy an unsubsidized phone, there's no sense in paying contract plan prices that include the subsidy built-in (and are therefore more expensive). You're better off either using a prepaid like Aio or Straight Talk or switching to T-Mobile.

The other option if you want the Nexus 5 would be to switch to AT&T, get a free/cheap iPhone 5 or 5S from them, and sell it to recoup your Nexus 5 + some extra cash. I think after 2 years of contract Aio will still be cheaper though.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

hoobajoo posted:

Not without a 2-year contract or other upgrade program available. VZW has been some people upgrade early (after 1 year, but before 2) on Edge, have you looked into that?

I considered that but I use a shitload of data. Anything but unlimited is gonna push my monthly bill through the roof. Looks like I'm just gonna have to drop the coin and pay retail. Unless VZW axes grandfathered unlimited in the near future it'll save me a buttload of money to just pay for the phone and stay month to month. I get a pretty nice discount through my company too so it makes sense for me right now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

tonic posted:

Buy a Nexus 5 and port your number to Aio Wireless? $55/month for Unlimited talk, text, and 2GB of LTE data (256kbps after) or $70/month for 7GB. They use AT&Ts network.

Honestly, if you're going to buy an unsubsidized phone, there's no sense in paying contract plan prices that include the subsidy built-in (and are therefore more expensive). You're better off either using a prepaid like Aio or Straight Talk or switching to T-Mobile.

The other option if you want the Nexus 5 would be to switch to AT&T, get a free/cheap iPhone 5 or 5S from them, and sell it to recoup your Nexus 5 + some extra cash. I think after 2 years of contract Aio will still be cheaper though.

AIO is already going away and being discontinued at some point. ATT is buying cricket instead.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Update.
LG G2.

Its been almost a week. Still LOVE this phone. 100% stock, Default launcher. I've changed the wallpaper and ringtones. Thats it. And the ringtones im using built in ones.

We bought the flip cover things and the "Ghost" wireless chargers at verizon and myself and roommate could not be happier. 16 hours on battery (I'm at 80%, 16 hours 43 min with LTE on in LTE Market), 1 hour screen time, 1 hour phone calls, and all screen time was Awful or Facebook. I could EASILY get 2 solid days out of it. Screens amazing, its fast as poo poo.

People hating on this phone because of LGs software, pretty much can eat a bowl of baby dicks. The phones rock solid and its cheap as chips right now. Highly suggest it.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Contract with Sprint ended yesterday. Wife and I are considering switching to Verizon since they offer employee discounts, we already have FiOS, and their network isn't total rear end like Sprint's is.

We're looking to cut our costs a bit both in terms of initial phone purchase and monthly bill price. The Galaxy S3 seems to be a nice option, but could we do better than that for similar cost? Also, any suggested plans/tricks/requests when we go into the Verizon shop later today?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Professor Moriarty posted:

Contract with Sprint ended yesterday. Wife and I are considering switching to Verizon since they offer employee discounts, we already have FiOS, and their network isn't total rear end like Sprint's is.

We're looking to cut our costs a bit both in terms of initial phone purchase and monthly bill price. The Galaxy S3 seems to be a nice option, but could we do better than that for similar cost? Also, any suggested plans/tricks/requests when we go into the Verizon shop later today?

If the G2 is still $50, get that. As for tricks, not sure. We have two lines on my plan and a 20% discount as well. Share Everything with 4GB of data. About $140 a month so 70 per line.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.

I would maybe make a suggestion for the moto x. 50 bucks right now and if you want you can customize it and get yourself a sick-rear end green phone.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

TenaciousTomato posted:

If the G2 is still $50, get that. As for tricks, not sure. We have two lines on my plan and a 20% discount as well. Share Everything with 4GB of data. About $140 a month so 70 per line.

According to Verizon's page the G2 is currently $150/phone, so I guess that's out for us. We were thinking of maybe getting Galaxy S3s since my wife has rather liked her S2 (and I pretty much hated my HTC Evo 3D) but if there's any better smartphones out there that're reasonably priced I'm all ears.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

According to Verizon's page the G2 is currently $150/phone, so I guess that's out for us. We were thinking of maybe getting Galaxy S3s since my wife has rather liked her S2 (and I pretty much hated my HTC Evo 3D) but if there's any better smartphones out there that're reasonably priced I'm all ears.

Keep in mind that the GS3 is almost 18 months old now, and while it's a perfectly functional device today, it probably won't look so great at the end of that 2-year contract. The Moto X is absolutely worth the small extra upfront investment to prevent you from wanting to fastball your phone into a wall down the road.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Someone has the MAXX for $99 right now and it's by far one of the best phones available.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

big mean giraffe posted:

Someone has the MAXX for $99 right now and it's by far one of the best phones available.

Amazon.com and yes this

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
After reading around, I'm seeing some folks suggest trying to get the Verizon store rep to sign you up for the loyalty discount... even if you're a new customer. Are these folks talking out of their rear end or is this something I should attempt to go for, despite getting whatever the company discount is as well?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Anything in the new Droid line; spring for the Maxx if you even think you'll use your phone heavily.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

I would maybe make a suggestion for the moto x. 50 bucks right now and if you want you can customize it and get yourself a sick-rear end green phone.
It's actually free, I believe, if you skip customizing it. It's a vastly better choice than a Galaxy S3. The Maxx for $99 is also a great choice.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
...Apparently the better phones are in our budget after all. Whoops. We'll probably both get S4s unless someone has an AMAZING MIND BLOWING recommendation for me.

Professor Moriarty fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 17, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

...Apparently the better phones are in our budget after all. Whoops. We'll probably both get G4s unless someone has an AMAZING MIND BLOWING recommendation for me.

I assume you mean Galaxy S4, and it's a great phone. Go for it.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I assume you mean Galaxy S4, and it's a great phone. Go for it.

Derp, that's exactly what I meant. Sounds peachy!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The S4 is nice, I love my S3, but the MAXX does have a few advantages, mostly in the battery and doesn't have an ugly windows xp style skin departments.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

big mean giraffe posted:

The S4 is nice, I love my S3, but the MAXX does have a few advantages, mostly in the battery and doesn't have an ugly windows xp style skin departments.

Yeah, I'd love to have something a bit more sturdy (especially since I work outside), but I went with "sturdy" with the Evo 3D last time...and that didn't really work out.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

notwithoutmyanus posted:

What's the best way to do these things? My girlfriend has a spare upgrade and she's on a plan with her family. One of the accounts has data (not unlimited) and the other is just a feature phone. We went to the store today and she (very nicely) asked one of the sales douches if she could move her upgrade to one of the other lines, order a phone on that line and then move the phone back to her line. The sales guy shouted "NO THAT'S FRAUD" and that kind of made everything uncomfortable so we didn't stick around much after that.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

What's the best way to do these things? My girlfriend has a spare upgrade and she's on a plan with her family. One of the accounts has data (not unlimited) and the other is just a feature phone. We went to the store today and she (very nicely) asked one of the sales douches if she could move her upgrade to one of the other lines, order a phone on that line and then move the phone back to her line. The sales guy shouted "NO THAT'S FRAUD" and that kind of made everything uncomfortable so we didn't stick around much after that.

Huh. It's not. Just find someone else who isn't an idiot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Try calling Verizon. Store people are idiots.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Just upgrade the line. Take the phone. Reactivate the old phone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Just upgrade the line. Take the phone. Reactivate the old phone.
Can all of this be done without going to the store? She still has to move the upgrade over. She wants to get a customized Moto X, so do we need to activate the phone on the other line first when it arrives?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Can all of this be done without going to the store? She still has to move the upgrade over. She wants to get a customized Moto X, so do we need to activate the phone on the other line first when it arrives?

Telesales can use one upgrade directly for another line, so you don't need to even fiddle with it. They're commissioned, they WANT you to upgrade that line, and they'll work with you to make it happen. Take advantage of that.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ISIS sucks, so much that they'll pay you $200 to use it. Best Buy and Macy's take NFC payments for sure, that I know of, so you could get some money back on your Christmas shopping.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kitten smoothie posted:

Best Buy ... take NFC payments for sure, that I know of, so you could get some money back on your Christmas shopping.

Not always. I've never been in a Best Buy where the NFC component hasn't been broken.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

bull3964 posted:

Not always. I've never been in a Best Buy where the NFC component hasn't been broken.

Ours oddly works here. Hit and miss I guess.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Has anybody heard anything on -any- upcoming LTE only phones? Im sitting on an upgrade because i know new stuff is (supposedly) around the corner, and if im going to have it for two years, i might as well use the most up to date)

But that moto maxx is temting now... damnit

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LTE only phones won't been until the 2nd half of 2014, towards the end of the year. The next major hardware milestone with Verizon is VoLTE supporting phones. Those were supposed to be out before the end of this year, but I don't think anything has been leaked thus far. It's possible the current crop is capable after a software update, but I don't know for sure.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Roundboy posted:

Has anybody heard anything on -any- upcoming LTE only phones? Im sitting on an upgrade because i know new stuff is (supposedly) around the corner, and if im going to have it for two years, i might as well use the most up to date)

But that moto maxx is temting now... damnit

Unlikely in the near future. Verizon's talk and 3G are based on CDMA, so they still need to receive that signal to talk; backwards compatibility to 3G is trivial after that. 3G is more reliable in some ways too, so even after the LTE footprint matches the 3G, there are reasons to still support it.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 18, 2013

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Just don't ask them out right. Only ask them to transfer the upgrade to use on the other line. Once that finishes then mention the other issue. That way they are less likely to freak out and be stupid. Asking all of it at once is "abusing the system" in the eyes of some of them. Also the verizon help line is actually pretty friendly and will probably do what you ask no questions.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hoobajoo posted:

Unlikely in the near future, Verizon's talk and 3G are based on CDMA, so they still need to receive that signal to talk; backwards compatibility to 3G is trivial after that. 3G is more reliable in some ways too, so even after the LTE footprint matches the 3G, there are reasons to still support it.

Depends on what you qualify as near future. It will happen within a year, Verizon has already stated so. The later half of 2014 is when the transition to LTE only devices is going to happen.

Verizon is going to explosively expand the AWS rollout and fill in all the missing gaps in LTE coverage because VoLTE is going to rely on coverage as good as the legacy CDMA coverage. The biggest reason for this is that there will be no failback capability for a call transitioning from VoLTE to CDMA. It will simply drop. To prevent a customer service nightmare with dropped calls, their LTE network is going to have to be near total before VoLTE is a thing and they are targeting that for mid 2014.

Once that's done, it's a trivial thing to sell an LTE only phone since they already had to ensure the network was up to snuff.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Depends on what you qualify as near future. It will happen within a year, Verizon has already stated so. The later half of 2014 is when the transition to LTE only devices is going to happen.

Verizon is going to explosively expand the AWS rollout and fill in all the missing gaps in LTE coverage because VoLTE is going to rely on coverage as good as the legacy CDMA coverage. The biggest reason for this is that there will be no failback capability for a call transitioning from VoLTE to CDMA. It will simply drop. To prevent a customer service nightmare with dropped calls, their LTE network is going to have to be near total before VoLTE is a thing and they are targeting that for mid 2014.

Once that's done, it's a trivial thing to sell an LTE only phone since they already had to ensure the network was up to snuff.

Yeah, by near future I mean a year-ish. And my point was the 3G legacy will need to be supported for long enough that upgrading now makes perfect sense, as it's not like CDMA will stop working. Sorry that didn't come across, I wrote that on break at work.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 19, 2013

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
The original timeframe i was given (completely subject to chage)

was:

late 2013 - first VoLTE phones appear
mid 2014 - first VoLTE towers go online, but you can always fallback to CDMA mode when roaming)
late 2014-early2015 - first VoLTE only phones appear

Rumor was VoLTE only phones will be cheaper due to lack of radios, and as such verizon ends subsidies on phones.

I just want to get a jump on the 'new' VoLTE tech.. otherwise if nothing is coming out i want a phone that will last me throuh the next two years... and im just leaning towards the new maxx, except i would love better phone cameras ... oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

Telesales can use one upgrade directly for another line, so you don't need to even fiddle with it. They're commissioned, they WANT you to upgrade that line, and they'll work with you to make it happen. Take advantage of that.
She just called in and was told that if she transfers the upgrade, it still counts against her line, so even using the upgrade on another line would remove her unlimited data. I give up. :negative:

• Locked thread