Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Sneeing Emu posted:

:supaburn:

The Plato episode of the Dead Author's Podcast dropped today!

Best episode of the show ever, even better than Aukerman's Ben Franklin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Such an amazing episode, Zouks is a genius. Love it whenever he slips into 'worst person in the world' mode.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

You guys will be super surprised about Plato's twitter presence.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Chuckling at the new Bone Zone, episode 96...I love Brendan talking to the costume store trying to piece together a "Captain Phillips pirate". "Do you have torn Hulk shorts?"
Just knowing that Brendan would immediately start getting into "Zach Braff masks" once the dude mentioned the only male nurse costumes he had were scrubs.
And discussing their favorite things about the lord, great stuff, loving Randy, hahahaha.
"Who would win in a wrestling match, Jew God or a German shepherd?"

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 8, 2013

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I've fallen way behind on my podcast listening, and am looking to trim some fat from my backlog. The Todd Glass Show has become very hit-or-miss for me. Are any of the last four episodes (Whitmer Thomas, Justin Willman, Barry Katz, Jake Fogelnest) especially good, or are they all skippable? I have a mild curiosity about the Katz one, especially because he seems so incongruous with the show's vibe.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The Fogelnest episode is really good. Jake Fogelnest is a great Todd Glass Show guest.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The Barry Katz one is fascinating because Katz is a fascinating guy. It's more of a serious discussion though, if that sounds interesting at all give it a go. It's pretty short too, compared to the usual Todd Glass shows.

e: Oh and you get to hear the story straight from Katz about when Todd lived in the entryway of a house and would walk outside every hour to pee because he didn't want to climb the stairs to the bathroom, I'd heard him tell that story on Jay Mohr's podcast I think.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Barry Katz one is fascinating because Katz is a fascinating guy. It's more of a serious discussion though, if that sounds interesting at all give it a go. It's pretty short too, compared to the usual Todd Glass shows.

e: Oh and you get to hear the story straight from Katz about when Todd lived in the entryway of a house and would walk outside every hour to pee because he didn't want to climb the stairs to the bathroom, I'd heard him tell that story on Jay Mohr's podcast I think.

Barry Katz has his own podcast which is pretty good if you're into really inside showbiz stuff. He interviews executives and agents/managers and producers and writers and gets lots of really great guests. This week's is the dude who produced Duck Dynasty so I skipped it, but in the past he's had people like the creator of Saved By The Bell or Chris Albrecht, formerly of HBO.

I can never figure out Katz personally. He comes off as such a likable and levelheaded guy, but every comedian talks poo poo about him. Jim Bruer understandably did so on the latest WTF because of the Buddies disaster, but Maron was piling on him as well. He used to have such great clients (commercially, critically not so much) but lost them all except Jay. Frank Caliendo left him after his show ended. Dane Cook left him after he discovered his brother swindled millions from him. Whitney Cummings left him after her show ended. Chappelle and Louis CK were once clients too. If you look at his current client list on IMDBPro, he would probably be on the streets if it wasn't for the 10% he gets from Jay Mohr. It's like Bill Bellamy and Cheri Oteri.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Any other Hendersons or Daughters in here? Tuesday's Sklarbro County with Diablo Cody is a good place to join that show if you haven't yet. And you eat ketchup on a cheese steak.

That said, if anyone is considering making the Sklarbro pilgrimage to Madison in Feb, I may be down.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

De Nomolos posted:

Any other Hendersons or Daughters in here? Tuesday's Sklarbro County with Diablo Cody is a good place to join that show if you haven't yet. And you eat ketchup on a cheese steak.

That said, if anyone is considering making the Sklarbro pilgrimage to Madison in Feb, I may be down.

Dan Van Kirk has ruined that podcast for me.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Just saw that today's Todd Glass Show is a 3 hour episode with James Adomian which I think might be my favorite podcast/guest combination

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Help Im Alive posted:

Just saw that today's Todd Glass Show is a 3 hour episode with James Adomian which I think might be my favorite podcast/guest combination

It makes me fill my neck with gravy. TGS is a Friday staple for me and I hope Jen Kirkman comes back ASAP.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Thanks for this. I needed a "Friday" podcast.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I was a little disappointed with the latest TGS episode, but only because the last Adomian episode was so great that my expectations were too high. It's still a really good episode.

I had almost written off TGS earlier this year but the past couple months of the show have been fantastic.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Binowru posted:

Dan Van Kirk has ruined that podcast for me.

So I assume you prefer just the two of them and a guest? Because that's what Country still is. County is DVK+non-sports stories.

I agree that Country is still better in the old/current format. There are plenty of "crazy police blotter" stories on other podcasts.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

De Nomolos posted:

So I assume you prefer just the two of them and a guest? Because that's what Country still is. County is DVK+non-sports stories.

I agree that Country is still better in the old/current format. There are plenty of "crazy police blotter" stories on other podcasts.

County might as well be spun off into DVK's personal podcast. He seems like a nice dude, but I don't get why he dominates that podcast. Nobody is listening to it to hear him.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Is it wrong that I think James Adomian's Andy Kindler is funnier than the actual Andy Kindler?

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Is it wrong that I think James Adomian's Andy Kindler is funnier than the actual Andy Kindler?

James Adomian's everyone is better than the real everyone.

His Huell Howser never fails to crack me up, and I barely know who Huell Howser is.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm sending this baby to the electric chair because you have a cat that's the size of a dog!

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Andy Kindler is a bitter shithead who talks poo poo about everybody and everything, so no, you're not wrong to think a legitimately funny person doing an impression of him is funnier than the genuine article.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

De Nomolos posted:

James Adomian's everyone is better than the real everyone.

In that latest episode I was amazed at how good his Eddie Pepitone was. Like if he went on another podcast with that impression or something and you told me it was really Pepitone, I would probably buy it

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Beeez posted:

Andy Kindler is a bitter shithead who talks poo poo about everybody and everything, so no, you're not wrong to think a legitimately funny person doing an impression of him is funnier than the genuine article.

Andy Kindler and Tom Scharpling are my two favorite curmudgeons. I'm going to be very sad when The Best Show ends because I'll probably never get to hear the two of them talking poo poo about pop culture together again. :(

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

De Nomolos posted:

His Huell Howser never fails to crack me up, and I barely know who Huell Howser is.

His Huell Howser is pretty good, but real Huell Howser is remarkable. I can't believe that guy or that show ever existed. Find the episode where he sees a dog eating an avocado. You won't be disappointed.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

wafflesnsegways posted:

His Huell Howser is pretty good, but real Huell Howser is remarkable. I can't believe that guy or that show ever existed. Find the episode where he sees a dog eating an avocado. You won't be disappointed.

Everyone should see it, so I'm just going to help out with that noble cause:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l99Ek4YtTuw

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Beeez posted:

I've seen Kindler's stand-up and I've seen Adomian's stand-up and while they're both funny, I'll take Kindler any day of the week. One of my top 10 comics, maybe even top 5.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

tnimark fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 9, 2013

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I like how "bitter shithead" is presumed to exclude "funny comedian."

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Binowru posted:

Andy Kindler and Tom Scharpling are my two favorite curmudgeons. I'm going to be very sad when The Best Show ends because I'll probably never get to hear the two of them talking poo poo about pop culture together again. :(

They both annoy me, and neither one makes me laugh enough for my enjoyment of them to override my annoyance with them. I mean, I guess Scharpling co-writes the Wurster call-ins, but everything I've heard from the Best Show except the segment where he had people call in and give him impressions to do I found the person he was with(whether that be PFT, Wurster, etc.) to be way funnier.

FitFortDanga posted:

I've seen Kindler's stand-up and I've seen Adomian's stand-up and while they're both funny, I'll take Kindler any day of the week. One of my top 10 comics, maybe even top 5.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I like how "bitter shithead" is presumed to exclude "funny comedian."

I guess I wasn't clear, my bad. I don't find Kindler funny very often, and that's why I view him more as a shithead than a funny comedian. The two are mostly unrelated.

tnimark posted:

I think Andy Kindler is very funny when he's actually being a comedian and Andy Kindlering around like he does, but when he's doing his self-appointed Arbiter of All Comedy thing he just comes across like an obnoxious arsehole.

Yeah, that's a more precise way of putting it. If he just had beef with Leno or whatever, that's fine. But he really does seem to view himself as the Arbiter of All Things Comedy, and he goes on about how everyone else is hacky or unfunny or undeserving of their success quite a bit, which is an especially high level of being a bitter shithead who talks poo poo about everybody. I also haven't really enjoyed much of the stand up of his I've heard, but again, that's not because of his poo poo talking.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Kindler doesn't pretend to be the arbiter of anything, but he is one of the only guys who will actually say his opinion. Look at how Marc Maron has changed. When his career was in the shitter he actually liked things and didn't like things. Now he "respects" peoples "craft" even if they're joke writers you know he thinks suck, because its easier career wise to be nice to everyone. 99.9% of comics are never critical of other comics because comics are the biggest babies on the planet. I love Kindler for pointing out when people like Adam Carolla are complete trash.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I'm sure Kindler's attitude might also have to do with being in comedy for so long, and his age.

I've heard more than one reference to him being close to 60.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Bundt Cake posted:

Kindler doesn't pretend to be the arbiter of anything, but he is one of the only guys who will actually say his opinion. Look at how Marc Maron has changed. When his career was in the shitter he actually liked things and didn't like things. Now he "respects" peoples "craft" even if they're joke writers you know he thinks suck, because its easier career wise to be nice to everyone. 99.9% of comics are never critical of other comics because comics are the biggest babies on the planet. I love Kindler for pointing out when people like Adam Carolla are complete trash.

You really think so? I'm not overly familiar with Marc Maron but he still seems to make it abundantly clear he has a very specific view of what true comedy is, even if it manifests in slightly more good natured ribbing than it once did.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I also think Andy Kindler likes to criticise anything that is currently receiving exclusively adoring praise, regardless of his own actual feelings about it - e.g. he's talked about Louie quite a lot on Tom's show, in terms of how it's good but not the second coming.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Beeez posted:

You really think so? I'm not overly familiar with Marc Maron but he still seems to make it abundantly clear he has a very specific view of what true comedy is, even if it manifests in slightly more good natured ribbing than it once did.

Yeah definitely. He used to be way more opinionated. Now he goes out of his way to praise joke writing as a skill, and how smart he feels young comics who use stand up as a springboard to a writing job are, but the subtext is they aren't real artists. I think he definitely started being softer to get interviews with people like Dmitri Martin who he unquestionably thinks sucks, and just more famous people in general who don't want to listen to him complain.

GraPar posted:

I also think Andy Kindler likes to criticise anything that is currently receiving exclusively adoring praise, regardless of his own actual feelings about it - e.g. he's talked about Louie quite a lot on Tom's show, in terms of how it's good but not the second coming.

Thats really just having an opinion like anyone does. I think it only stands out because of how much most comics kiss each others rear end non-stop. Louie is overated and there are real problems with it, I don't see the problem with criticizing it.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I wonder why Kindler never makes fun of David Letterman and Marc Maron but always goes after Leno and CK. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the first two employing him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It should be noted that I remember Patton Oswalt saying in an interview that people in the industry supposedly love Andy's blunt honesty about other comics; I guess if you meet 19 asskissers, the next guy who's straight with you is gonna seem pretty cool.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Bundt Cake posted:

Louie is overated and there are real problems with it, I don't see the problem with criticizing it.

What problems are there with it? How can comedy even be problematic?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rypakal posted:

The show is pretty heart-breaking sometimes, and if you were tuning in expecting something more typically comedic, I could see an issue there. That said, I think it's a drat good show.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
It aims for things other than laughs and it often misses. And some episodes feel very padded, like they're trying to stretch two ideas into a full episode. When it's good, it's really good though.

I find about half the episodes work for me, and half annoy me.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Calling something overrated isn't the same thing as calling it bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

rypakal posted:

Its phoney. Louie's life owns big time. Itd be like if Seinfeld was about a depressed dude with no money who never meets women. He makes himself out to be the ultimate humble person in the show. The real moments in the show stand out in my mind even though I haven't seen it in forever, like when he's ignoring Todd Barry at the diner, or when hes singing in the car with the kids. Its a well made show and real impressive for one guy to do so much work, and I like that he goes for some real moments of honesty, but then theres stuff that its really contrived like the scene where the highschool kid threatens to beat him up, or when Pamela Adlon's character asks him to take a bath and he screams in the street, and so on. I really should've left out the comment about Louie in my other post because I don't really want to get into it, but I figure I better answer since I brought it up.

Anyway its a good show and all I just don't see how it makes someone dickish to criticize it.

• Locked thread