Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Re: NOAH discussion, It blows my mind that people believe in stained glass windows. Not once in the Bible when an angel appears before a human are they soothed, calmed, in awe, or thinking that Elohim/God/whatever you want to call Him, is smiling upon them- they are consistently frightened to poo poo, because the last thing angels are is beautiful. Having crazy limbs and heads, no matter how many or what they look like, will always be closer to the word than models with lovely bird wings.

And to that point, that angels are beautiful and demons are ugly in movies is amazing as Lucifer, the most beautiful, and his crew fell for vanity so the truth is that the portrayed good guys and bad guys are actually role swapped.

E:

I'd love to see a one sheet of this in a cinema display, surrounded by lights.

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I don't know if any of you guys have ever seen an undisguised angel, but trust me... they are horrifying.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

penismightier posted:

I'm loving the new style on the Drafthouse posters, I hope the cartoons are on their way out.

You're talking about the Mondo posters that they had used for their Alamo Drafthouse showings, right?

Oh, man, going through some of those, I came across this Mondo poster for Boogie Nights

It's gorgeous. Everything is yellowing, making it more lurid (which isn't hard to do with Rollergirl's rear end there), but fits well with the film and it's so colorful. It uses screencaps for the film, but Rollergirl and the corvette are clearly hand-drawn and exaggerated.

What the gently caress happened? Did they get so full of themselves and that Olly Moss, vector-traced, washed-out single-color style that they just stopped trying?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Boogie Nights was pretty recently and is horrendous looking.

The poster you described (sounds good) and the poster you've pictured (looks poo poo) aren't the same thing at all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I am less inclined to blame the vector tracing because that looks nothing like Heather Graham.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Young Freud posted:

You're talking about the Mondo posters that they had used for their Alamo Drafthouse showings, right?

Oh, man, going through some of those, I came across this Mondo poster for Boogie Nights

It's gorgeous. Everything is yellowing, making it more lurid (which isn't hard to do with Rollergirl's rear end there), but fits well with the film and it's so colorful. It uses screencaps for the film, but Rollergirl and the corvette are clearly hand-drawn and exaggerated.

That belongs on Eschergirls. There is a difference between "exaggerated" and "her torso is narrower than her thigh". I'll agree that the style is fitting, but it's fitting in the sense that it's loving terrible tawdry crap and hence perfect for a seventeenth-rate T&A movie of the period in which Boogie Nights is set.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Young Freud posted:

What the gently caress happened? Did they get so full of themselves and that Olly Moss, vector-traced, washed-out single-color style that they just stopped trying?

I'm trying to figure out her spine and arms and it seems like she's halfway to:

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

soapgish posted:

Re: NOAH discussion, It blows my mind that people believe in stained glass windows. Not once in the Bible when an angel appears before a human are they soothed, calmed, in awe, or thinking that Elohim/God/whatever you want to call Him, is smiling upon them- they are consistently frightened to poo poo, because the last thing angels are is beautiful. Having crazy limbs and heads, no matter how many or what they look like, will always be closer to the word than models with lovely bird wings.

And to that point, that angels are beautiful and demons are ugly in movies is amazing as Lucifer, the most beautiful, and his crew fell for vanity so the truth is that the portrayed good guys and bad guys are actually role swapped.

E:

I'd love to see a one sheet of this in a cinema display, surrounded by lights.

Completely agreed. Angels depicted as beautiful peaceful women are a pet peeve of mine. It irritates me to no end when i see an angel like that in 'christian' literature.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

soapgish posted:

Lucifer is actually Jesus:

the bible posted:

I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.
And demons were just as freaky as the angels:

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 17, 2013

Villain of the Week
Dec 25, 2008
With the holidays coming up, what are some good sites to get quality posters from? Preferably something based in Europe or something that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for shipping.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Villain of the Week posted:

With the holidays coming up, what are some good sites to get quality posters from? Preferably something based in Europe or something that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for shipping.

This but for the US.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hahaha holy poo poo. That's hilarious. It looks like one of those west-African knockoff movie posters.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 17, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Young Freud posted:

Yep, I am. Where'd you find that picture, is there an archive of their older stuff?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Their website has a full archive on it, however that post is from May 2013, as was said above, it's very recent.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

PriorMarcus posted:

Boogie Nights was pretty recently and is horrendous looking.

It looks bad for a film poster, but it's not bad-looking. It looks like what it is, an illustration by an artist who mainly does band and concert flyers. If you don't like that style that's fine, but there are plenty of people who do.

Given the garish nature of the film's subject matter, I'd say it's entirely appropriate.

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK
poster for Jonathan Glazer's new, artsy sci-fi film

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I think that's a fan-created design.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

It looks bad for a film poster, but it's not bad-looking.

Spines do not work as they are portrayed on that poster.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

etherealshaq posted:

It's kind of awful. Like you can see what it's going for and it just makes you sigh.

New Jonathan Glazer movie though? :getin:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Spines do not work as they are portrayed on that poster.

Yes, it is an illustration, not a technical drawing.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

scary ghost dog posted:

Heeeeeey wait a second, what are those earrings attached to anyway? I'm crying foul.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

General Ironicus posted:

Well it all depends on what you consider canon.
Hands down the best use of this phrase ever in internet discussion.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

The Leck posted:

Hands down the best use of this phrase ever in internet discussion.

Uhhhh the term "canon" originates in discussion of Christian texts.

etherealshaq posted:

It's a nice aesthetic but is sorely misplaced in this instance. Adding veins or a heart, which they came close to doing, would bring it to the realm of science fiction, and those would need only be faint lines or a silhouette. Here's hoping for a poster that matches the bizarre imagery of the flick, so that I'll feel good purchasing one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
So does Scarlett have Pam Dawber hair in this movie or what?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

Its a pretty lovely illustration.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah you're right, I guess this is a-ok then

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Scary Ghost Dog is right, I hope we can all stop being dumb now.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

soapgish posted:

Uhhhh the term "canon" originates in discussion of Christian texts.
Yes, and on the internet, it mostly gets used by nerds talking about Star Wars minutiae.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Netflix just added Only God Forgives and :laffo: at the poster they used:

There's something about this nondescript, pared-down style that Netflix and Redbox use that is just consistently amusing to me. Like, it always reeks of :effort: because they know it's just going to be a small icon on a huge list.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I always figured it was some sort of legal thing and Redbox has to roll their own lovely promo art.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Its a pretty lovely illustration.

There is no action or animation in the Boogie Nights poster, so apparently you know absolutely nothing about design or illustration or animation.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Yeah you're right, I guess this is a-ok then

Yeah this comic book character literally cut out of context is totally comparable to that poster. Thanks for further obfuscating the issue with stupid points that make no sense.

Edit: I know goons have trouble with exaggeration and art because they take everything literally and cannot understand concepts like "artistic liberties," but the girl on the poster for Boogie Nights is not supposed to look realistically proportioned.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 18, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Rockin' Jelly Bean has done illustrations of normal-looking, normally-proportioned women before, so he's capable of it. And while Roller Girl's look is similar to other stuff he's done, I think he was going for an R. Crumb style figure and pose (the film being set in the 70's when Crumb's "Keep On Truckin'" design was popular).

But again, I don't necessarily like it as a film poster. But as an illustration for a film I like, I might consider hanging it on my wall, which is more than I can say for most Mondo posters.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

HorseRenoir posted:

Only tangentially related to movie posters, but it looks like someone's finally perfected the experience of wearing a terrible Mondo poster:

This is the coolest sweater I have ever seen and I totally pre-ordered one just now. This looks nothing like a Mondo poster but thanks for making me aware of it.

I don't know how anyone could hate acid trip Star Wars.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

I always figured it was some sort of legal thing and Redbox has to roll their own lovely promo art.

In some cases, yeah, this is exactly it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Netflix just added Only God Forgives and :laffo: at the poster they used:

There's something about this nondescript, pared-down style that Netflix and Redbox use that is just consistently amusing to me. Like, it always reeks of :effort: because they know it's just going to be a small icon on a huge list.

At least they got all three colours in one poster :v:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

scary ghost dog posted:

Edit: I know goons have trouble with exaggeration and art because they take everything literally and cannot understand concepts like "artistic liberties," but the girl on the poster for Boogie Nights is not supposed to look realistically proportioned.

Maybe if your posts didn't drip smug superiority people wouldn't be so quick to challenge your points. Yes, it's an illustration, but the anatomy is poo poo and it looks like poo poo.

e: And besides, it's a movie poster, it shouldn't need context. If your takeaway from that poster is that Boogie Nights is about a woman with a warped spine, it isn't doing its job. There's a difference between "taking artistic liberties" and "not knowing how to draw".

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 19, 2013

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Guys, Tom & Jerry is poo poo because cats don't look like that in real life.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Maybe if your posts didn't drip smug superiority people wouldn't be so quick to challenge your points. Yes, it's an illustration, but the anatomy is poo poo and it looks like poo poo.

e: And besides, it's a movie poster, it shouldn't need context. If your takeaway from that poster is that Boogie Nights is about a woman with a warped spine, it isn't doing its job. There's a difference between "taking artistic liberties" and "not knowing how to draw".

If your takeaway from that poster is that Boogie Nights is about a woman with a warped spine, you're an autistic retard.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Nikaer Drekin posted:

No comment on the perfectly normal proportions of every other figure in the poster? Or the reasonably well-done likenesses, or the fact that it invokes the era the film is set in?

That, plus you have to take it in context. This is not a poster for the film's original theatrical run, it was made recently and is catering to an audience who probably not only knows what the movie is about, they've likely already seen it. In fact, I take back my earlier statement that it's not a good movie poster. It's a perfect movie poster, except it's not advertising the movie as a movie, it's advertising it as an event. Rockin' Jelly Bean was selected for that poster because he's known as a flyer designer, and that's what the poster is. It's a flyer for a showing of Boogie Nights at the Alamo Drafthouse. It's an advertisement, and it's eye-catching, and we're discussing it so it's done its job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Okay, seriously, have some of you never seen stylized art before?