Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

hope and vaseline posted:

Ugh, I need to have more self control to stay off of show wikis while watching something for the first time. Just got through the excellent episode of Supernatural where the Croatoan virus infects a town, and I had to see if that was a one-off or if it pops up again later, and I end up spoiling something a few seasons down.

I do the same thing except with a rewatch blog. I really like the supernatural 'retro' recaps on this blog, but sometimes they slip something in from a future episode under the recap part. (The review part is pretty much entirely filled with spoilers).

http://www.innsmouthfreepress.com/blog/?p=11357

I am watching it through for the first time, and really really loving it. Wait until you get to the Christmas episode in season 3. It's probably my favorite Christmas episode of anything ever.

I'm slow, though. I started in August and I'm only on Season 3 Episode 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh thanks for that link, I was scoping out AVclub but their reviews dont start till season 5. I'm a pretty slow watcher too, I usually binge on comedies but I take my time with hour-long shows.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Even if you stop after season 5, at least watch The French Mistake in season 6, because oh my GOD.

I had never seen the show before and randomly decided to watch an episode that was airing at the time to see what the show was like and even without knowing much about the premise or anything about the characters, this episode was so loving funny that I immediately started watching from season one.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

So the mentalist is revealing who red john is tonight, barring no football rescheduling.
Insane guess time: red john is really rigsby or CBI agent Ron (dude with the goatee in the CBI office).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Or you can just watch the first time they did that episode in Season Five and rest easily knowing you're basically missing some funny jokes and nothing else.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I like Supernatural enough, I'm probably going to ignore the "stop after season 5" crowd and keep going. Maybe by the time I'm finished the show will be finished. Has there been talk about that, or is the CW just keeping it going until they don't want to anymore?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, its basically just 91 episodes of bonus material, I can't imagine why that would seem like a tedious slog with little reward.
It might be because you are prone to dreadful bouts of nonsense hyperbole.

quote:

Even the good episodes are just remakes of early triumphs.

This is bollocks.

Season six and onwards aren't up to the standards of season five, that's true. They lack the momentum and reward of being the pay-off for a five year arc. However, they are not as bad as season one. So the best way to look at it, I would suggest, is that if you enjoyed season one despite it's many many flaws then by all means carry on into season six because at it's worst it will never drop to the level of racist truck, and rest assured that it does start to pick up in quality again as they regain their feet.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Tupping Liberty posted:

I like Supernatural enough, I'm probably going to ignore the "stop after season 5" crowd and keep going. Maybe by the time I'm finished the show will be finished. Has there been talk about that, or is the CW just keeping it going until they don't want to anymore?

From my understanding, CW is willing to keep producing more episodes as long as the lead actors are willing to keep making them. Neither side has expressed interest in ending the relationship any time soon.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

tuluk posted:

So the mentalist is revealing who red john is tonight, barring no football rescheduling.
Insane guess time: red john is really rigsby or CBI agent Ron (dude with the goatee in the CBI office).

It will be Kimbal Cho. :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Or you can just watch the first time they did that episode in Season Five and rest easily knowing you're basically missing some funny jokes and nothing else.

Also we can read the first time you made this post.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been doing a rewatch/finish of Supernatural too and I've finally finished Season 7 and am into 8. I didn't "quit" the show I just lost track during an extended break, fell behind, and never caught up until now. I definitely say they're worth watching of you enjoy the show beyond just the arch. The story arcs definitely fall a little flat and leave a lot to be desired, but a lot of that is them failing to live up to one of the best story arcs I've ever seen on tv. And there are great episodes. Really, I can't disagree more with the idea that all the good episodes are just recycled ones done worse. The French Mistake may have some similar elements to past episodes but its so unique that I couldn't believe what was happening when I first saw its. And I just finished Hunteri Heroici and don't think I stopped giggling the entire time. I think the good outweighs the bad and at no point have I thought this was a slog.

If you enjoy Sam, Dean, and their week to week adventures than keep watching after Season 5. If its all about a compelling story arch for you then the next few seasons might be a slog. I think that's a fair assessment and it seems obvious that PriorMarcus just had his fill of the Winchester MOTW adventures.

And I briefly saw on Wikipedia that they're going to air a backdoor pilot for a spinoff this season. I didn't read any more because I was trying to avoid spoiling myself.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Also we can read the first time you made this post.

Not even being sarcastic here; bravo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Supernatural is like the Person of Interest for cat ladies and future cat ladies, apparently.

:ninja: edit: I like Supernatural

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Supernatural is like the Person of Interest for cat ladies and future cat ladies, apparently.

No lie. The six cats we live with won't argue against that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

precision posted:

All I know is that the #1 rule of being a Supernatural fan is to never, ever seek out other Supernatural fans.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

And I briefly saw on Wikipedia that they're going to air a backdoor pilot for a spinoff this season. I didn't read any more because I was trying to avoid spoiling myself.

There is no more information than that anyway.

They already introduced a cool character who I would love to see in a spin-off, but it was too early. Unfortunate, because I doubt the real one will be better.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Ive tried to get get into Supernatural a few times but can't make it more than a few episodes. Its just too gay... well "too CW" might describe it better.

Arrow is pretty gay and CW too, and I like it although I've only watched part of the first season. There's just something about Supernatural that doesn't work for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aphrodite posted:

There is no more information than that anyway.

They already introduced a cool character who I would love to see in a spin-off, but it was too early. Unfortunate, because I doubt the real one will be better.

Well its an interesting thing to have in my head while I do my catch up marathon. I'm always kind of watching to see what characters in the Supernatural world are one-shots and which might become recurring characters and a greater part of the Winchester story. Now on a few occasions I've found myself watching an episode and wondering if that character was being set up not only as a recurring character but now I sometimes find myself watching an episode wondering if its a backdoor pilot. Bitten and the Girl With The Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo are the two that made me briefly wonder.

Obviously I know the backdoor pilot hasn't actually aired yet and by the end of an episode the key characters are usually dead, have their stories complete, or have clearly defined roles in the universe. But its an interesting little thing to have in the back of my head affecting the way I look at newly introduced characters.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 17, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

the Girl With The Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo

Whoever writes their episode titles better be well compensated.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Ive tried to get get into Supernatural a few times but can't make it more than a few episodes. Its just too gay... well "too CW" might describe it better.

Arrow is pretty gay and CW too, and I like it although I've only watched part of the first season. There's just something about Supernatural that doesn't work for me.

Well, good to know you're a horrible person.

Also, loving hell PriorMarcus, are you just allergic to positivity?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

precision posted:

Whoever writes their episode titles better be well compensated.

I'm not sure if "LARP and the Real Girl" or "Season Seven, Time for a Wedding!" is my favorite title.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Psych has some pretty great episode titles too.
"Gus's Dad May Have Killed an Old Guy"
"Meat Is Murder, But Murder Is Also Murder"
"The Greatest Adventure in the History of Basic Cable"
"Disco Didn't Die. It Was Murdered!"
"Any Given Friday Night at 10pm, 9pm Central"
"Indiana Shawn and the Temple of the Kinda Crappy, Rusty Old Dagger"
"Extradition II: The Actual Extradition Part"

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Aphrodite posted:

I'm not sure if "LARP and the Real Girl" or "Season Seven, Time for a Wedding!" is my favorite title.

I've only seen a handful of random Supernatural episodes, but on general principle I have to get behind any episode titled "The French Mistake."

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It will be Kimbal Cho. :colbert:

If the dude who killed Janes family isn't one of the suspects they've been focusing on (Red John will turn out to be some sort of psycho ring but there definitely has to be a leader) they had better have a drat good explanation for why he wasn't one of the suspects. And theres no way it would be Cho, hilarious as it would be:

Jane: :gonk: Cho? You killed my family?
Cho: :geno: Yes. Tiger Tiger.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Here's the Breaking Bad alternative ending off the blu-ray boxset out soon.

I actually like this one a lot more and think it sums up the series a lot better than the conclusion we got.

Judge it yourself though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kZivVxB3vU

Can anyone upload this again, Sony had to be cranky assholes and block something funny because of piddy widdy copywights :cry:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Well, good to know you're a horrible person.

Because I don't like Supernatural?

I'm not using gay in the pejorative sense or talking about literal gay content like in Six Feet Under being bad or anything. Supernatural is gay show in the same way Dexter is a gay show.

Aren't there like entire communities dedicated to the sexual tension between the main characters?

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 17, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I'm not using gay in the pejorative sense or talking about literal gay content like in Six Feet Under. Supernatural is gay show in the same way Dexter is a gay show.

I have no idea what you mean by "gay show," but saying you can't watch something because it's too gay is awfully pejorative.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Aren't there like entire communities dedicated to the sexual tension between the main characters?

There are entire communities dedicated to random background characters in shows. The internet isn't a good judge of stuff.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Find me a show where this is not the case.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

gently caress off.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
^^^What he said.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I'm not using gay in the pejorative sense or talking about literal gay content like in Six Feet Under being bad or anything. Supernatural is gay show in the same way Dexter is a gay show.

How is...any of this not pejorative?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I have no idea what you mean by "gay show," but saying you can't watch something because it's too gay is awfully pejorative.

"Gay show" apparently means marketed in any fraction to women.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

If that's your criteria, man, you might as well say, "I can't watch this television show because it is a television show."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jesus Tobacco, that's just awful wording on your part. You're usually a good poster so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that do better next time.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

No, but I just use this forum to vent more than to praise, because I do most of my praising in real life where venting is more likely to upset someone I actually know who might have a strong opposing view to me - especially given that I work in the industry.

I should try to be more positive though. I'm going to work on it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

xeria posted:

If that's your criteria, man, you might as well say, "I can't watch this television show because it is a television show."

I don't :airquote: watch :airquote: television. I understand it, man.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
No seriously Tobacco do you even know what the word "pejorative" means?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

BrooklynBruiser posted:

There are entire communities dedicated to random background characters in shows. The internet isn't a good judge of stuff.

Gay show as in there's an ongoing and strong subtextual reading related to the characters homosexuality or inability to be openly homosexual. I was pointing out the internet communities as suggestive of the shows subtext, as in I thought it was really commonly known and didn't expect someone to confuse what I meant when I said it was a gay show. Or mistake that by saying it was too gay, I mean that undercurrent seems highly emphasized from what I watched.

You all are really jumpy today. I guess I really hosed up how I phrased that.

DivisionPost posted:

No seriously Tobacco do you even know what the word "pejorative" means?

Sure. Is no one familiar with the expression too much of a good thing can be a bad thing? I think the gay subtext in Dexter from the first few seasons is done pretty well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Something that has gay subtext, even a lot of it, isn't a "gay show". Like, DTLA could legitimately be called a "gay show", as could The L Word, but Supernatural, Dexter or Arrow?

:wtc:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I guess I really hosed up how I phrased that.

Yeah, probably so. Though I'm pretty sure you're letting your knowledge of these crazy fan communities dictate the way you think about the show. In the future try to be more careful with how you phrase stuff like that. When you just randomly call a show "too gay" without a decent explanation you just have to know you're opening a can of worms dude.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I thought Supernatural's whole "Wincest" thing was just what people wanted to see, and not something that actually existed. Ever. In the slightest.

Sure, in the later seasons, the "gay" is played up between certain characters for comedic value and as a jab at desperate fans, but I never saw any of that in the first few seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Manos del Sino posted:

I thought Supernatural's whole "Wincest" thing was just what people wanted to see, and not something that actually existed. Ever. In the slightest.

Sure, in the later seasons, the "gay" is played up between certain characters for comedic value and as a jab at desperate fans, but I never saw any of that in the first few seasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke6ekjknw64

• Locked thread