Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Syrg Sapphire posted:

A lot of the non-Syrg goons were villains, and some of the missions are crazier in a "WHAT THE HELL?!" way, but you're also going to have low-as-hell server population on your side of things and I'd have to contact a buddy to find out what the hell the good leagues/players still remaining are, as none of them are posting anymore.

If you straight up don't care and just want the side with healthier pop and ease of play, go hero.

I care not, really. It's probably a negative that I don't but, hey, if it means that things are a little easier then that's probably best. I'm really not sure how big that populations are in this game so, it might just be better trying to roll with the biggest population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Syrg Sapphire posted:

A lot of the non-Syrg goons were villains, and some of the missions are crazier in a "WHAT THE HELL?!" way

I seem to remember a Joker mission that involves setting cops on fire. You watch them scream in pain while they writhe on the ground and everything. The hero version involves rescuing them from presents or some poo poo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Astfgl posted:

I seem to remember a Joker mission that involves setting cops on fire. You watch them scream in pain while they writhe on the ground and everything. The hero version involves rescuing them from presents or some poo poo.

That's the Funhouse Mission, and it is awesome.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

So I downloaded this on the PS4. I had 2 guys from launch that were low level and not worth anything. I decided to erase the lowest level one to start fresh so I could get used to the controls again. It deleted the other one even though the safety check had me input the name of the one I wanted to delete. Nice, so I just deleted the other out of frustration. They had an anniversary mission to get an Anniversary Cape. Will any new characters receive that mission or was it just for guys who were created at that time?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So I blame Syrg for getting me into this by posting in the Steam thread, but it's really great.

Dumb question, though: How the gently caress am I supposed to keep my power bar up as a (sorcery) healer? I cast three or four rejuvenates and I'm completely drained. :supaburn:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Kyrosiris posted:

Dumb question, though: How the gently caress am I supposed to keep my power bar up as a (sorcery) healer? I cast three or four rejuvenates and I'm completely drained. :supaburn:

Dumb pubbie answer: buy lot of soder colas and chug them. Also yell at the Controllers since they should be doing nothing but pumping power.

Real answer: Do a lot of attacking with your weapon to build up combo meter. Keeping a combo going regens your power, and at each combo 'tier' the regen-per-second goes up.

My experience with a healer is that you should always be in DPS role if solo; use a power to set up a weapon combo (DPS role gives damage bonus after using a power) and try to ride it as long as possible. If you get hurt, use a heal (more damage bonus) then combo with that bonus to regain power. That's the basic flow of combat.

Healer role I generally only use in groups; the additional healing stuff you get from it generally isn't needed much solo, whereas the DPS role damage buff is pretty noticable.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, this is strictly speaking from 4-man dungeon stuff. How do I maintain my combo between heals? It probably doesn't help that I am using staves as a weapon.

Edit: Also, I don't think I've been in a single dungeon that had a controller. It's usually 3 DPS + me or a tank + 2 DPS + me. :(

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I really liked Staff as a weapon; that said it's pretty bleh with ranged attacks. You CAN run in and melee as a healer (at least, in tier 1/2 content, I never got past that) you just have to be more situationally aware than if you were at range and always be ready to block/dodge big hits.

It might be simpler to try switching to more of a ranged weapon, at least to try it out. Hand Blasters don't do the best damage but they have a pulse-beam combo that builds combo meter extremely fast. Pistols and Rifle I hear are both pretty good for it too with their basic hold-range attacks. And the perennial favorite of Bow.

e: All that said, at the end of the day a single healer can't heal stupid; unless you have a crazily-geared Controller pumping power to you constantly people are still going to die if they just stand there and eat attacks. That's just something you're going to have to deal with, and cherish the players who actually pay attention to anything other than the scoreboard.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I actually play a healer + staff, so this is basically MY QUESTION. What powerset are you, and which alerts are you running, because yeah if this is a lower level you MIGHT be in that early-game mire of misery where you've got a 50/50 chance of "people who know what their roles are and how to play them" and "idiots who are going for scoreboard mastery at the expense of all sanity".

As for combo: whenever I need to regain power I'll find an enemy on the edges of things and leap in with the hold left (repeat) combo - if you've maxed out the tree for the attacks, it'll rack up a good 15-25 hits on one dude and add some solid damage, possibly stunning them so you're not taking damage at the same time. Repeat until that enemy is dead and/or you need to end the combo to heal someone. It's also possible, if you're more HoT-based (so, probably Nature) to keep 90% of your mobility by just right-clicking constantly across targets when not casting anything. It's slower, but it gives you a safe distance, won't draw massive aggro onto you, and just makes sure you have a casual power regen during downtime.

That said: I absolutely recommend, especially if you want to go the distance in playing, to try out some weapons as you get spare skill points. Using two or three types will make the mid-game gear grind go a lot smoother if you're attempting to find certain types of weapon instead of ONE SPECIFIC THING. Take it from the dude who didn't learn this until he was T4, and still stubbornly mains staff because he's not used to anything else.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 17, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I actually play a healer + staff, so this is basically MY QUESTION. What powerset are you, and which alerts are you running, because yeah if this is a lower level you MIGHT be in that early-game mire of misery where you've got a 50/50 chance of "people who know what their roles are and how to play them" and "idiots who are going for scoreboard mastery at the expense of all sanity".

Level 18-19, as Sorcery. That one alert with the metal dudes (forget the name, sorry) was destroying me. :(

Edit: And yeah, I've been slowly putting spare points into Hand Blasters to see if those help.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Kyrosiris posted:

Level 18-19, as Sorcery. That one alert with the metal dudes (forget the name, sorry) was destroying me. :(

Edit: And yeah, I've been slowly putting spare points into Hand Blasters to see if those help.

Probably Oolong Island. Yeah, I kinda dislike the pre-30 alerts just because there's really no training or guiderails to tell you "please do not just rush in and try to burn everything down", and a lot of times you DO get an all-damage party where half of them just think someone's job is to repair their idiocy. I'd do what you can to keep power up, but if you see nothing but flame icons at the start, consider asking someone "Guys, do any of you have Controller as an alternate role? I'm going to be gimped with nothing but combos filling my power bar."

...granted, this is also kind of risky in a post-Hard Light environment, because good god, a bad HL will make everyone who uses the blue bar miserable.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

OKay. What is the best way to contact you nerds in game so we can team up and do instances and poo poo.

Future Son
Mar 29, 2007
I'm from the future. I'm your son!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

...granted, this is also kind of risky in a post-Hard Light environment, because good god, a bad HL will make everyone who uses the blue bar miserable

Is it just that they get caught up in construct combos even in controller role?

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
I know when I'm playing controller I feel really bad if I let the healer get close to empty. Everyone else I don't really care that much but I try to keep the healer topped up, unless they're blowing all their energy on attacks which I have seen occasionally.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Syrg Sapphire posted:

...granted, this is also kind of risky in a post-Hard Light environment, because good god, a bad HL will make everyone who uses the blue bar miserable.

This still boggles me. Hard Light is insanely power-efficient as long as you actually use the 'class feature' of construct combos instead of clipping them constantly. But people have to chase that scoreboard so they totally waste HL's 'thing' and then they tell anyone who's not clipping they're doing it wrong. :psypop:

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

I just stopped worrying about the DPS' blue bar when I was a controller. Literally nothing bad happens when they run out of energy as opposed to a tank or healer.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

jjac posted:

I just stopped worrying about the DPS' blue bar when I was a controller. Literally nothing bad happens when they run out of energy as opposed to a tank or healer.

3 DPS, Healer, Controller = if you get 3 bad DPS they are always out of power, so if you dump power the Healer gets none. :emo:

I really wish the developers had decided to actually focus on crowd control instead of changing Controllers into batteries right at the end of beta.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

WarLocke posted:

3 DPS, Healer, Controller = if you get 3 bad DPS they are always out of power, so if you dump power the Healer gets none. :emo:

I really wish the developers had decided to actually focus on crowd control instead of changing Controllers into batteries right at the end of beta.

Play a Quantum Controller. They're mostly CC.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Play a Quantum Controller. They're mostly CC.

I was more saying I wish they hadn't added the power-over-time or dumping abilities at all. If you have a relatively flat power-out rate with just weapon combos/soders, then you can balance combat around that (and with more emphasis on CC Controllers would be the preventative mitigation counterpart to Healers... healing).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Maybe if the high-level game didn't rely on clipping animations and other pro-click DOTA bullshit that is not explained anywhere in the game but is tacitly assumed you know about already, much like the rest of the game's mechanics.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

WarLocke posted:

How do you manage to have a group of five anyway? If it's a raid then there's usually a second controller to cover your rear end.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

jjac posted:

How do you manage to have a group of five anyway? If it's a raid then there's usually a second controller to cover your rear end.

Derp, yeah, I forgot that group size in DCUO is 4. Mea culpa.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Video showing how areas/enemies load on PS4 seems a lot better compared to PS3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnOsCNk8HAY

Not sure if it was mentioned here but update 31 altered the currency on PS3/PS4, you can now buy the console version of station cash with real money, this will enable them to do more offers/discounts without having to go through PSN as much.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Maybe if the high-level game didn't rely on clipping animations and other pro-click DOTA bullshit that is not explained anywhere in the game but is tacitly assumed you know about already, much like the rest of the game's mechanics.

Clipping is super easy if you just look it up on YouTube. Back when I played, chaining hard light skills together was the easiest way to poo poo out damage like it ain't no thang.

I might get back in on this, anyone still playing back from when we has the league or whatever? Sadly my only 30 with decent skill points (think I had like 80 or something when I got bored) is an ice tank and ice is boring as poo poo.

Thinking nature. Anyone know if they've made the SP grind less annoying or does it still take forever to get to 140 sp to get accepted into the best guilds?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

zeldadude posted:

Anyone know if they've made the SP grind less annoying or does it still take forever to get to 140 sp to get accepted into the best guilds?

The 1-30's simpler, if you're subbed/get some expansions the middle tiers are faster than ever. I can't even think of people who ask for requirements that high, but I also got into a league that's pretty newbie friendly. We've got a couple of crazy high-end guys but they also go "Okay so here's HOW you play this way" and do instructions on lowbie raids.

Really it's just a matter of knowing who to ask if you aren't trying to be THE TOP OF THE TOP.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I just finished healing an instance as lightning and holy poop is healing in this game a lot of fun. I managed to keep everyone alive even if it was a little bit like keeping cats in a line. :v:

Now if only I could find out how to make my guy look like something other than a tube of toothpaste that'd be great! I'm terrible at colors :(

Sion fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 19, 2013

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

zeldadude posted:

Thinking nature. Anyone know if they've made the SP grind less annoying or does it still take forever to get to 140 sp to get accepted into the best guilds?

Unless they've updated the game and made your skillpoint count public, you can just flat out lie about it and they won't notice the difference. Really.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

zeldadude posted:

Clipping is super easy if you just look it up on YouTube. Back when I played, chaining hard light skills together was the easiest way to poo poo out damage like it ain't no thang.

The problem with clipping isn't that it's hard, the problem is that it's power-inefficient. And the only reason THAT is a problem is because people then turn around and demand that Controllers do nothing but poo poo out power so that they can continue clipping.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

The 1-30's simpler, if you're subbed/get some expansions the middle tiers are faster than ever. I can't even think of people who ask for requirements that high, but I also got into a league that's pretty newbie friendly. We've got a couple of crazy high-end guys but they also go "Okay so here's HOW you play this way" and do instructions on lowbie raids.

Really it's just a matter of knowing who to ask if you aren't trying to be THE TOP OF THE TOP.

Ah. Back around when I stopped playing even random pickup groups for fortress of solitude 1 and 3 were requiring like 80+ cr. Which is completely retarded because I tanked both of them on my ice tank when I only had like 65 cr maybe.

I never got to do prime battleground or gates successfully so that's probably what'll end up bringing me back.

Anyone ever feel like Saints Row 4 feels exacty like DCUO? I just rented it the other night and it's so drat similar it's hilarious. The open world setting, the powers, running around like a super hero collecting poo poo from city rooftops for hours.. Just thought it was funny.

Edit ^^ ah, true! HL dps were definitely the most.. Vocal about their power needs. Pretty annoying.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

zeldadude posted:

Anyone ever feel like Saints Row 4 feels exacty like DCUO? I just rented it the other night and it's so drat similar it's hilarious. The open world setting, the powers, running around like a super hero collecting poo poo from city rooftops for hours.. Just thought it was funny.

Actually, loving around in SR IV post endgame was what got me back into DCUO after about a 6 month break. There are quite a few similarities.

Edit: It was the way the player scaled buildings (along with gliding) in SR IV that made me think of the similarities.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 19, 2013

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I only just realized I misread the question earlier.

Skill points are GOING to get easier to get as apparently an upcoming feature is "letting you share feats across your alts if one has it at ??? cost/currency", but for now a lot of it comes from a) speed feats b) PvP (holy poo poo PvP is a huge amount of skill points if you can get into it) and c) raiding, where completing something's a feat and most bosses have one or more feats associated with them.

Styles, too, are huge, but have fun with THAT if you're worried about grind. Although the new loot system helps a TON for that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I only just realized I misread the question earlier.

Skill points are GOING to get easier to get as apparently an upcoming feature is "letting you share feats across your alts if one has it at ??? cost/currency", but for now a lot of it comes from a) speed feats b) PvP (holy poo poo PvP is a huge amount of skill points if you can get into it) and c) raiding, where completing something's a feat and most bosses have one or more feats associated with them.

Styles, too, are huge, but have fun with THAT if you're worried about grind. Although the new loot system helps a TON for that.

I'll admit it's been a while since I've played, but one of the reasons I've never bothered with an alt past low teens in level was because repeating all those loving feats and collections is insanely boring.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

To that end, could you maybe write a "hey, I just hit 30 and want to do raids!" guide, Syrg? I'm actually closing in on 30 myself (24 now) and want to have a sort of checklist of poo poo I should start being aware of. :)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Kyrosiris posted:

To that end, could you maybe write a "hey, I just hit 30 and want to do raids!" guide, Syrg? I'm actually closing in on 30 myself (24 now) and want to have a sort of checklist of poo poo I should start being aware of. :)

Alright, totally. This is gonna be a generic guide since every powerset's got its own quirks and I don't alt at all to know them, but if you want a good set of rules to make early raiding simpler...

* Run alerts first: This will lead into the next one, but basically, the post-30 content has a progression curve. Solos are to teach you that you're playing a new ballgame in familiar missions and gear you up a bit, duos let you get used to watching someone's back/interact with other roles, alerts are going to be where you start having to Do Your Job, but without the time investment or challenge of a raid, and finally, graduate to raids LAST, ABSOLUTELY LAST. Work your way up at first for a reason. As you go on, you can probably skip this step, but seriously, raids are going to wreck you at first, and if I recall, you can't even do them straight out of 30 anyway (for good reason). Take the hint.
* Don't run them the instant you can: Remember: every time you hit a new tier, you're going from "Aww, yeah, that stuff's simple, we got this" to "OH poo poo OH GOD THEY PUNCHED HIS HEAD CLEAN OFF" on the power curve all over again. If there is in any way a way for you to get a little bit of armor first (hint: for most of the game, again, this will be solo/duo stuff to gear up for the alerts/raids of that level), DO IT.
* Don't EVEN be ashamed to run Novice versions of a raid first: You're not going to know what the hell happens in a raid until you're in it, unless you've got a pal or a league to coach you. At early levels, unless you have some backup, you're gonna be with a completely random group-finder created set of people, and some might know what they're doing, others will probably be as clueless as you. Go in, learn what the events are, and I hate to tell you, but your best chance is probably Kahndaq, which is a decent raid IF you know what you're doing, and a total poo poo-show ten seconds in if you all don't. (Hint: focus on the Waterkeepers.)
* Know your role know your role know your role: If you are in group content and queue up as a spot, please know what will be expected of you for that gig. Lemme just go over some quickies here:
  • If you are a healer, know how to position yourself, both to hit all/as many players as possible with your powers, and to STAY ALIVE. If the ground is glowing beneath you, HAUL IT, you don't tank well. Note, however, that your job is to keep THE MOST people healed, not "spend time running after that idiot who got out of range". Eyeball your surroundings if someone's bar isn't going up - is he behind a pillar or out of line of sight (where a lot of ranged powers work?) Adjust a little. Did he run the gently caress off not being aware of his surroundings? gently caress that guy, everyone else is the bigger priority if they know what's up.
  • If you are a controller, keep THE HEALERS powered, everyone else is secondary to this. Do not burn yourself through for an idiot DPS or two who guzzles the blue bar like a beer bong, leaving everyone else overfilled. Same line-of-sight/awareness issue as healers applies. This is your main goal, but some powersets can assist in the fight with debuffs and other passive assistance. It's going to be a build issue, and a lot of people are really going to think of you as nothing but power batteries. You probably have the most thankless job and I'm sorry so many players are pricks about it.
  • If you are a tank, you need to know how and when to block to mitigate damage on yourself, which of your skills will pull the area vs. single-target (especially in a two-tank raid), and where the healer is - you of all people want to be within their range, both to draw aggro (healers will be the main target for enemies if a DPS/tank is not drawing their fire) and to keep your always-attacked bar up. ESPECIALLY in an inexperienced raid, you're going to be pretty key to keeping people alive by taking the fire off people who are figuring out which way is up.
  • If you're a DPS, you have two goals: stay alive (do not be stupid, there is only so much a healer running at full burn can do for you if you're not dodging OHKOs or getting out of the way of THE FLAYING SANDS OF HADES or whatever) and make sure nobody on the other team continues to do so. On a good team, you have the easiest job of all. On a rougher team, though, you need to know when to pop a cola or if someone's down - you're the best candidate to back the hell off and pick them up, since everyone else should presumably be doing their job to keep each other going.
I'm not going to claim that those simplified roles are all you need to know in those jobs, but this is what people will EXPECT of you, and if you can go beyond that, do so! Push yourself. This game is really, really flexible about what you can do to it if the players are sufficiently skilled.
* Know how to regain power: I don't give a poo poo what role you are, learn your weapon (learn MULTIPLE weapons, really, just so you don't need ONE SPECIFIC DROP) and its combos so you know when you can use it to get some cheap power back and assist the team. There will be times where you don't need to queue powers and keep running a routine - this kind of falls under the "learn the raid" comment above, but if you're just fighting some mooks between bosses or events, get down and dirty with a partner to take some poo poo down and restore your power. Plus, if you're a more ranged weapon-wielder, you might be able to help the DPSes from a distance - nail that fucker who keeps blocking. A good one-ranged, one-melee combo on an irritating target ensures that they're gonna be hosed no matter what move they use, and everything goes faster as a result.
* Don't wear PvP gear into raids: I get it, the early PvP weapon is a handy boost to your damage for most players, and it's freely accessible at 30. This is exempt to this comment. However, PvP gear does literally nothing for you in PvE content. It's two seperate types of defense stat. Every piece of it you have on is the equivalent of going into battle naked, and so many people don't realize this. Fun game! If you see someone taking damage like a motherfucker or dying quicker than everyone else, inspect them. I'll bet you they're decked out in green gear with a Toughness stat. You should correct them on this. If you don't rub their nose in it, they won't learn. I've seriously done runs in T3 with people who never knew because some benevolent motherfucking healer kept their stupid face alive through things.

Finally, just a personal tip: however you want to do it, if you can find a way to mic up with the other players, via the in-game chat or a league Teamspeak or Skype with pals or whatever the gently caress, it's really handy on raids just to keep everyone in the loop faster. "I'm down" gets people's attention much faster in those 11 seconds before "death" than people scrambling for you after someone looks at the bar.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Oh Jesus you just reminded me of my first Khandaq attempt... I swear we were in there for like 3 hours. Spent 30 minutes trying to get past the first boss, like an hour on the last guy because everyone kept standing still and dying...

I say gently caress that place altogether but you guys probably won't listen. I can only hope that pubbie raids have improved drastically since I last played which is.. Doubtful.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Mid-tier pubbing raids is a little better (although it might now be lessened by the easier access to Marks of Triumph letting canny players basically skip T1), but there's absolutely nothing as nice as just getting a group where, even if it's only a few dudes, you know you work well together and how to play, and the others can all just be meatshields or hopefully helpful.

Also Khandaq is miles different if you know what you're doing and if you don't. I think we've finished it faster than some alerts, honestly. 22min timer.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Alright, totally. This is gonna be a generic guide since every powerset's got its own quirks and I don't alt at all to know them, but if you want a good set of rules to make early raiding simpler...

That helps a ton. :D You said that you play Sorcery too, got any Sorcery-centric tips?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I healed my first tier 1 Alert today. :D Goddamn is healing a lot more fun at 30, and a well-played Controller makes things so much easier, wow.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What would give a varied range playstyle and who would you recommend as a mentor for villain? I have the Green Lantern DLC to add recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I picked this up on Kyrosiris' recommendation and goddamn have I been having a blast. My hero character is about to hit level 30. I haven't seen any chat in the goon channel since I started, though; do any of you guys still play this?

• Locked thread