Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

'00 Aero with 128k in Midnight Blue? I might need to check my garage to ensure you didn't steal my car.

She's as dark as the night itself, Mayor. She is quite black.

nigga crab pollock posted:

How would I fix it?

Respray, as mentioned. You're not going to have any luck touching that up. My bumpers' clearcoat is gone so I'm trying to figure how to get that off and give it a decent coat without it looking like complete crap.

First things, though:
  • SID Repair
  • Missing drivers' side visor
  • Bit of vibration when in gear and stopped. Tranny and motor mounts are OK. Investigate.
  • Previous owner scraped off the bumper cover and destroyed the wiring to the fog lights. Fix.
  • Rear View Mirror is floppy. Fix.
  • DI is an aftermarket junker. Watch/replace.
  • Didn't notice much noise from the turbo when out on the road. Ensure it is properly functional. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Welp, just impulse bought this. Tell me I haven't made a £1700 mistake? :ohdear:

1991 900 FPT, with 195k on the clock.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Welp, just impulse bought this. Tell me I haven't made a £1700 mistake? :ohdear:

1991 900 FPT, with 195k on the clock.
Not at all! This thread desperately needed more C900 action.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Is it possible via fuse to get the headlight dial on 9-5's to go from Off > Parking Lights Only > Headlights? Or is this a Tech II issue? (Or is this even possible?)

The DRL fuse has already been pulled so right now it's Off > Headlights > Headlights.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 28, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

The DRL fuse has already been pulled so right now it's Off > Headlights > Headlights.

That should be Off-DRLs-Headlights if you pulled the fuse. We're (still) talking first gen, right?

You might want to pull out the ohmmeter.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

West SAAB Story posted:

That should be Off-DRLs-Headlights if you pulled the fuse. We're (still) talking first gen, right?

You might want to pull out the ohmmeter.

'00 9-5 Aero.

Yup on both counts. I just wish the center switch position would be parking lights only with no headlights. That's how it was on the Saabaru.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

'00 9-5 Aero.

Yup on both counts. I just wish the center switch position would be parking lights only with no headlights. That's how it was on the Saabaru.

You could remove those bulbs, or have someone with a TechII change the setting to Euro 1 (if memory is correct).

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I managed to clip the garage door with my driver's side view mirror while backing up and cracked off a few pieces the very brittle plastic of the mirror frame. The cover and glass are perfectly fine.

How hard is it to replace said plastic? Not a huge issue, just a cosmetic one that's going to nag me.

Edit: Nevermind, it's apparently really easy to do. Just remove window trim, unhook the mirror harness, find the 3 torx behind foam insulation, find small trim screw, done.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 30, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

I managed to clip the garage door with my driver's side view mirror while backing up and cracked off a few pieces the very brittle plastic of the mirror frame. The cover and glass are perfectly fine.

How hard is it to replace said plastic? Not a huge issue, just a cosmetic one that's going to nag me.

Posting anyhow, since I bothered to get you this, you ingrate!

E: I like how it mentions the rear view for the C&P job here. Sure, it technically is, but that's not what we call it! Kudos, guys.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Viggen fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 30, 2013

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Haha thanks. Now the question is do I either:

A) Leave it be
B) Just buy a new frame ($40ish)
C) Buy a whole used assembly ($50-$75)

I'm thinking A) until I can find a cheap C) that matches my car.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

Haha thanks. Now the question is do I either:

A) Leave it be
B) Just buy a new frame ($40ish)
C) Buy a whole used assembly ($50-$75)

I'm thinking A) until I can find a cheap C) that matches my car.

You'll never find a perfect B/C. If it isn't laggy/etc on move, I'd consider B, unless C was pennies more. Just start watching for one, then hit everything externally with some back to black when you replace it.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Yaaaaaay window roller bullshit.. I think I have that fix down to 10 minutes these days, I've done my window rollers all around and a couple of them twice. It's even more fun if the window roller holds on a bit and bends the actuator arm.. That's a day at pick n pull to fix.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Well, that was fun. Master cylinder decided to fail out on me so I smashed the front end of my wagon into the rear bumper of a Silverado 2500 fortunately it was a less than 5 mpg accident. Saab damage = all front lights and grille need to be replaced. Silverado damage = what damage? gently caress yo Saab nigga! Off to Stockton pick n pull to grab a new set of lights and a grille this evening and ordered a new master cylinder a few minutes ago. The pedal has been feeling a little "off" for a day or two, so I've been giving extra room. Usually it's an I'll replace it this weekend sort of thing, I've never had one just up and poo poo out so spectacularly in 2 days. Fortunately it's out in the country and it was a heavy duty work truck and the guy driving it was the farmer instead of a hand. I apologized profusely, made sure he was ok and got out my insurance information. He just laughed, asked if I was good, looked at his bumper and said,"Hell, I don't see poo poo on my bumper that it didn't already have.. You should get a heavy duty somebitch like this. hahahaha" Nobody was hurt and we both had a good laugh. A++++ experience would hit again. Not really, but at least it was on a back country road since that's my daily commute.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

Yaaaaaay window roller bullshit.. I think I have that fix down to 10 minutes these days, I've done my window rollers all around and a couple of them twice. It's even more fun if the window roller holds on a bit and bends the actuator arm.. That's a day at pick n pull to fix.

I've found that using a little dremel on the inner bit where there are burrs helps emmensely when you have a problem child which didn't always want to roll down, and/or a PO has forced it. My last NG900 was obviously running on one roller for a long time, and it chewed a nice groove into it. I ground it down ever so slightly on either side, and lubed it up - never had another problem with it.

Also, Scantech rollers last longer. The Uro built ones that I've run into have softer plastic and generally fall apart within a year or two.

Viggens' Window Roller Tip: DO NOT REMOVE THE GODDAMN CLIPS! Almost every FAQ/howto I've seen says to remove the clip, then to stick it back on. Do NOT do that! Just slide the roller into place, hold it together, and gently squeeze it into place with a pair of pliers. It will click TWICE.

The battery that came in the OG 9-5 (Not 95, as that annoys meatpimp) flatlined. It was obviously a used/resell with dead cells. Of course it has a build date of 9/11. :patriot:

keykey posted:

Well, that was fun. Master cylinder decided to fail out on me so I smashed the front end of my wagon into the rear bumper of a Silverado 2500

Ouch. Well, there isn't/wasn't much left of my silver LPT, but I'm having my claims adjuster contact me with her final resting place - so I can hopefully strip a few interior parts off. The grill and front bumper cover were good, but I don't think any of the lights survived. :(

Viggen fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 30, 2013

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

West SAAB Story posted:

Viggens' Window Roller Tip: DO NOT REMOVE THE GODDAMN CLIPS!

That is exactly right! Just pop off the window molding, unscrew 3 torx screws, slide door panel off, reach in, take out old roller/clip, slide new roller where it aligns to pivot point on scissor arm, push together, put everything back together. I learned this the hard way after breaking the plastic on 2 new clips trying to take the clip out then slide it on. First, it's a pain in the rear end, second it stresses the new part too much which is inevitably plastic.

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal
Anyone have any experience with a P1743 code that trips the gearbox malfunction message on a 2004 9-3? 143k miles, just came on yesterday, transmission seems to be working fine, was due for a transmission fluid change so I went ahead and did that today. Just wondering if it's a serious tranny problem or another "Saab electrical" issue. Between this and random yet routine pedal/throttle sensor CELs/limp mode, I'm really close to being done with it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

pimpslap posted:

Anyone have any experience with a P1743 code that trips the gearbox malfunction message on a 2004 9-3? 143k miles, just came on yesterday, transmission seems to be working fine, was due for a transmission fluid change so I went ahead and did that today. Just wondering if it's a serious tranny problem or another "Saab electrical" issue. Between this and random yet routine pedal/throttle sensor CELs/limp mode, I'm really close to being done with it.

Yay for TCM problems. Pretty sure you've got a 5 speed slushbox in that, which isn't my forte. If it was a 4 speed, well, you'd likely have a $10 solenoid going bad. You're going to need/want someone with a Tech2 to get in there.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Felt a bit of a breeze today after turning off the default ACC settings. Decided to run an ACC test. 1 fault, code 21. flap stepper motor. It begins again. :v:

Nov Update: I've just noticed that I don't have seat warmers in this car. :smith:

v- Thanks. I've learned to completely bypass EEuro and StateOfNine for anything and everything. Digikey also has good batteries for repairing NG900, OG93/5 alarms. I don't have it bookmarked anymore, though. :ohdear:

E2: Here is the cheapest at Mouser.

If your caps have also gone to poo poo, here they are:

10 uf, 50V (C1)
220 uf, 10V (C2)
330 uf, 25V (C4)

Viggen fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 3, 2013

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
If anyone is needing instrument panel lights, here are some leads to avoid paying $texas from eeuroparts or similar. I got a few of each of these to replace burnt out ones, since any pulls from the junkyard are probably all burnt out too.

Backlight bulbs for SID LCD $0.88 at Mouser (:10bux: at eeuroparts)
Backlight bulbs for ACC panel and SID buttons $0.89 at Mouser ($11 at eeuroparts)

Or if you want to search elsewhere, keywords are "neo-wedge" base and "T-1 1/2" bulb size.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Got my c900 FPT home last night after a week down south with work after I picked it up. Drove it 250 miles up the motorway with zero problems, and it was surprisingly comfortable and quiet!

Obvious Things I need to fix:
Passenger door central locking.
Indicator stalk (doesn't stay on when indicating right - could be because the steering wheel doesn't seem 100% straight)
Headlining
Investigate whether the trunk is leaking

Other stuff:
General check of everything - came with a Haynes manual so I'm going to work my way through the servicing and see what might need doing.
Check the tracking and alignment - left front seems to be wearing more than the others
Investigate the hooting noise under full boost. Initial searches seem to indicate a dodgy bypass valve.
Investigate occasional clunking from rear under acceleration.

Overall I'm pretty happy!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Overall I'm pretty happy!

See if you can find a copy of the Bentley manual. You should be able to get one for ~ #20 if not cheaper. I was going to offer to give you my grey headliner material, but it'd cost far too much to post to be worthwhile. People used to get annoyed when I'd call my LPT an LPT, but on this side of the pond nobody really qualifies their car as LPT/FPT, except when implied by using the Aero designation.

We're glad you enjoy your new cult car!

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

l also need to figure out what to wire up to the EXTRA button, which is endlessly amusing to me :D

Steven
Sep 15, 2008

Sabmo posted:

Late to the party here, but I might be able to provide some suggestions - I have two 9000 Aeros, one slightly modded.

How much are you wanting to spend on it? Is it a manual or an auto? And does it have a sunroof?

It's an auto for now. It has a moonroof, and those neat exposed lug aero wheels. I plan on keeping this car forever, so throwing a whole lot of money at it sounds like a plan.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

l also need to figure out what to wire up to the EXTRA button, which is endlessly amusing to me :D

Assuming that a c900 is now pretty much the same age as my 99's were when i first got them - consider wiring it to manually override the cooling fans for when the thermostatic switch stops working! ;) On my 99T I now have 2 EXTRA buttons. One manually starts the cooling fans and one overrides the cold start injector so I can get it started easier!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

How difficult of a job is refreshing the #7, #15, #17 bushings in the rear?

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Indicator stalk (doesn't stay on when indicating right - could be because the steering wheel doesn't seem 100% straight)
Pantsmaster, I'm guessing your indicator stalk is worn. I had the same problem with my C900 convertible. It's very easy to remove and refurbish. Refer to this handy dandy illustrated guide (same one I used) to see how:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237505

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I'm having the 'not quite right' issue with my turn signal stalk on the new Aero. There is no rhyme or reason, but sometimes it absolutely refuses to let me latch the turn signal on. Since I've become accustomed to holding my hand near the stalk, I've not bothered to investigate the cause, yet.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I replaced the indicator switch. Everything works now, but I can't get the old one to fail now that it is out of the car. :iiam:

How did I inherit the only 95 Aero purchased without heated seats? Anyone near good junk yards that could give me a price estimate for two heater elements (4718524) and the heater switches (5471024) shipped to 89501?

E: Also, anyone have a cross compatibility for bulb 44-66-439? The lights behind the headlight switch are dead. :v:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 15, 2013

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
I've never tried it, but this bulb looks close to a match:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/LP-70/14V-NEO-WEDGE-BASE-LAMP/1.html

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Hmm. I have been considering trying this one to see if its good for anything..

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
My 07 9-3 has a battery drain. Alternator checks ok, battery isn't even a year old and the battery is dead by morning. I'm charging the battery back up right now and ill check to see how bad the draw is, but I'm alone with my kids and can't really touch it at the moment. Are there common problems or things I should check so I can be prepared? This blows I start a new job monday and I need this thing to work.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I'm assuming that you don't have an ATM fuse style circuit tester, or a Harbor Freight anywhere nearby to pick one up. In which case, I'd suggest use of an ohmmeter inline and start pulling fuses until it stops. :v:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

West SAAB Story posted:

I'm assuming that you don't have an ATM fuse style circuit tester, or a Harbor Freight anywhere nearby to pick one up. In which case, I'd suggest use of an ohmmeter inline and start pulling fuses until it stops. :v:

Yeah I'm just gonna inline it and pull fuses.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
If you have a meter with a decent low-voltage range, you can use the probes on each leg of the blade fuse while the fuse is still installed. A voltage drop through the fuse itself will exist in proportion to the actual current draw in that circuit. This is less likely to confound the problem when dealing with all of the computer-controlled modules.

http://www.iatn.net/forums/13/39089/draw-test-using-voltage-drop

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Mario posted:

If you have a meter with a decent low-voltage range, you can use the probes on each leg of the blade fuse while the fuse is still installed. A voltage drop through the fuse itself will exist in proportion to the actual current draw in that circuit. This is less likely to confound the problem when dealing with all of the computer-controlled modules.

http://www.iatn.net/forums/13/39089/draw-test-using-voltage-drop

Huh. As long as I've been working around electrical I've never tried it this way.

Flying_Dane
Jan 17, 2006

Grymm & Frostbytten
Hi all, been directed here from the post your car thread so here goes...

2000 9-5 Aero, 250k km, BSR exhaust and BSR 270bhp tune (running standard tune at the moment), loaded with electric things which will break.

Having some problems with power, the car seems weak. West SAAB Story suggested the following:

West SAAB Story posted:

Does the turbo needle move at all? Does it go up to the yellow, and just stick there? You could have a leak almost anywhere.

Here's a simple test you can do yourself with virtually no tools.

Meet BCV. This is your boost control valve.

Yours will look exactly the same, as this is a picture from my still-filthy Black 2000 95 Aero with the B235R engine.

You can pull the hose off the top of the BCV, and plug the hose with a bolt - or whatever you have handy. After doing that, gently get the car up to speed (don't ride it hard), but see if you have a change in response, or not. Even the hokey turbo gauge is useful for this.

Here is an illustration Nick Teliferro suggests as a perm removal, but I suggest against that - you don't want boost all of the time. The T7 will adapt, but you will run rich, regardless.

To recap: Just pull off the top hose from it, and plug the hose, and give it a drive. If it comes back to life, either the BCV or a check valve has died. If that fixes it, undo the bolt-test, and take it in.

The bad news is that the check valves that fail usually only come with a complete set of hoses, which used to be about $300 USD - no idea what they cost now. You can buy similar check valves and replace them, but you will

If thats not it, you could have a leak in the intercooler pipes, or almost anywhere. This will need more than blocking off a hose with a bolt.

Come visit us in the SAAB thread.

:psyduck: Wait, did I actually post something useful? Yeah, I'm surprised too.

Unfortunately it did not seem to work, I thought the car felt faster but after pulling the bolt out I realised it was the same (I guess I just got really excited about the bolt and the hose, but that is for another thread). The little turbo gauge thing only goes just into the yellow, the car pulls well on partial (~40-50% throttle, until the turbo needle goes into the yellow, then it just stops) but anything above that and nothing happens, it just stays the same. That being said, it still feels low on power on partial.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Flying_Dane posted:

The little turbo gauge thing only goes just into the yellow, the car pulls well on partial (~40-50% throttle, until the turbo needle goes into the yellow, then it just stops) but anything above that and nothing happens, it just stays the same.

Welcome to the SAAB thread! You'll find a plethora of both us whinging armchair, and a handful of legit mechanics here.

It sure sounds like an exhaust leak to me. It doesn't seem to be the BCV, or a secondary check valve, since you've just tested for that. v:v:v

This is out of my league - I'd default now to a smoke test. You can try the 'blow cigar smoke into the intake and look for leaks' means, but I've never been able to do that, myself. In my opinion, you pretty much want to take it to someone knowledgeable with the ability to smoke the car.. but others here may have a few other ideas to check, first.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
My Saab doesn't have any draw, so I gave the battery a 10 amp charge for an hour and it wouldn't crank. It's like the battery rapidly shat itself. I found that out last night, way past when O'reilly's is closed. Today after work I took the battery down and they said they would need to test it, cool, yeah fine, but it could take up to an hour and a half. What?
Which means I won't be able to pick up a replacement tonight since my wife needs to use the only working car 'till 9:00.
I thought they had those portable *ding* "good" *ding* "bad" readers. What the gently caress, man!
loving battery isn't even a year old.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Aeka 2.0 posted:

loving battery isn't even a year old.

Had the same issue on my factory battery in the '08 9-5. So, you've got this all taken care of? Keep in mind that used batteries that have been 'tested good' may give you a lifeline a lot cheaper than a new one.. I have a used battery in the 2K, and it works perfectly fine. Hell, the build date isn't even two years ago.

One of the joyous things i forgot about was that the 99 & 2000 fog lamps have two lamps in them. The PO ground the wiring off (and the front bumper spoiler) by driving like a fiend when parking on a hill for several years. I'm not sure how far back the remaining wiring is, because I'm not seeing it (easily) on the passenger side. I'm going to need to get this up on a rack.. my head is too drat fat to fit under this beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah all sorted. loving batteries, man.