Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Pirate Lightning actually owns quite a bit.

Guessing that's supposed to be Setzer's outfit? It's funny that out of all the millions of outfits they've shown, the only ones people are interested in were designed by other character designers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Setzer's outfit has fur at the bottom and is a bit more blue in certain places, that can't be it.

EDIT: Pic for Reference

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 13, 2013

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, but they're clearly willing to take some liberties with his outfit, as shown by Kingdom Hearts:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I believe it's supposed to be based off Faris's Amano artwork.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

It's like the designers were raised in a nudist colony and don't understand how clothes are supposed to work but they know she's expected to have them. Like that stuffed lion done by a guy who had never seen a lion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Pirate Lightning actually owns quite a bit.
Yeah, that's the sort of thing I mean. There's also the Cloud and Aeris outfits, and in terms of the original outfits I can name the suit, her valkyrie outfit, and most of the samurai stuff off the top of my head.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Dross posted:

It's like the designers were raised in a nudist colony and don't understand how clothes are supposed to work but they know she's expected to have them. Like that stuffed lion done by a guy who had never seen a lion.

You can't just say that without posting a link.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hedera Helix posted:

You can't just say that without posting a link.

I assume it's this classic:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Yeah, that's the one.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, my friend and I were talking about how off Lightning's proportions are in those screenshots and I did a quick-and-dirty touch up to try and make her proportions more human-like:

I admit, I haven't taken a life-drawing class in almost a decade but Lightning's proportions are roughly 6 head lengths tall and 2 and 1/4ish head lengths across. A normal adult human being is roughly 3 head lengths across and 7 head lengths tall. That can be exaggerated when it comes to the idealized and heroic figure which is usually 8 to 8 and half head lengths tall with longer arms, legs and a bigger torso to compensate. As it stands, Lightning looks like an emaciated teenager with a huge head in most of those pictures.

I see what they did wrong. They based her proportions off this guy:

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Toriyama posted:

Personally, I kind of feel like a father walking his beloved daughter down the flowery aisle – it’s both happy but also lonely to see her go.

:psyduck:

That's from the Famitsu LRFFXIII feature that recently came out...

e:

Nomura posted:

To me, it kind of feels like my daughter is finally coming home after many years away. I would like to thank everyone for enjoying this series and I hope Lightning will continue to be remembered.

Nomura is in on it too! :psypop:

Veks fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 14, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

quote:

XBN: A lot of men will buy this game because of the attractive chicks. What is the most risque element you've included in [Dead or Alive] Beach Volleyball?

Itagaki: You'd be surprised, but this is not really a sex game. The girls are beautiful, but I think of them like daughters. They're my babies!

I think we've found where Itagaki has vanished to, guys.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, those Toriyama and Nomura quotes aren't that weird. At least comparatively speaking.

Directors sometimes call specific movies their 'babies,' right?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
No, both of them need to see a shrink.

Same goes for people who treat their dogs/cats like human children.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'd honestly prefer it if Nomura was still in love with Gackt.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I'd honestly prefer it if Nomura was still in love with Gackt.

At least Gackt is a real person, and not some digital realdoll for them to dress up.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Not you too, Nomura! I wanted to think of him as that crazy guy who had a belt fetish but was pretty cool otherwise. Now he's ruined, too. :negative:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I think we've found where Itagaki has vanished to, guys.

I was gonna say the same thing :catstare:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

To be fair Nomura did say the same thing about Sora. I don't know if that kind of metaphor is more common in Japanese or if it's just him being a dork.

Come to think of it didn't the director of Metroid: Other M also describe Samus as "his daughter"? Not that it really detracts from the weird and creepy factor.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

"Young lady, you are NOT leaving this house unless you are dressed like a slutty warrior or a dumpster-diving mental patient!"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Is this the more platonic version of the "mai waifu" thing where they still feel like Lightning is a real person, but don't hump body pillows with her picture on it?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The_Franz posted:

Is this the more platonic version of the "mai waifu" thing where they still feel like Lightning is a real person, but don't hump body pillows with her picture on it?

Schizophrenia?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

BioMe posted:

To be fair Nomura did say the same thing about Sora. I don't know if that kind of metaphor is more common in Japanese or if it's just him being a dork.

Come to think of it didn't the director of Metroid: Other M also describe Samus as "his daughter"? Not that it really detracts from the weird and creepy factor.

If anything, it establishes a pattern of creepiness. :tinfoil:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Veks posted:

Nomura is in on it too! :psypop:

There's a difference between thinking fondly of a character you designed (Nomura) and ":swoon:mai waifu:swoon:" (Toriyama)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've been playing FFVII (for the first time!) on PC now that it has proper music. It has a "cleaned up translation" and that is technically correct since they fixed various typos like the famous This Guy Are Sick. But would it have hurt them to look over it a little bit more? Because christ, it seems like in half of plot scenes there's at least one line that doesn't quite seem to mean anything in this context, or you have to think really hard "What did this mean before they mangled it?" to understand what people are saying. I mean, the grammar is correct and the speech is natural and everything so it's not like they ran it through a machine. It's just, I feel like I have to concentrate very hard every time speaking is happening or I'll lose the point of the conversation entirely.

So what I'm actually saying is, is there a cleaned up translation floating around somewhere? This game has so many fans, one has to exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are people working on one but it's kind of iffy/overly literal/ "must be accurate to this obscure sourcebook" the last I saw. It isn't finished yet either.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I actually found it (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11649.0) and, looking at the last pages, it seems like it'll be done literally any day now, as soon as the guy is satisfied with his last fixes. Of course, that might take a long time, these types are usually perfectionists.

Anyway, I was pretty on board with it, I'll take overly literal over hard to understand any day, but then I saw this

quote:

"I liked Barrett being like Mr. T, and so did others. "

I don't care. You aren't the original writer. And again, you can play the original game with all its mistakes to your heart's content.
I don't think I can live in a world where Barret isn't Mr. T.

Also, this quote from the translator is quite amazing:

quote:

People are born stupid, with an intolerance to change, and a tribal mentality. The less education and good parenting a person receives, the more stupid and closed minded they are likely to be. Upbringing, education and life experience combine to create the person you are. You are either someone who can think logically and offer objective opinions, or you are a person who can't (there are degrees of imagination, intellect, logic, stupidity, and intolerance of course). If this is offending you, then I am glad, because it is likely you are the exact type of person I am referring to in this section. We have strived to create the best localization of Final Fantasy VII we can within the boundaries of the original writers' wishes. This means that although you may like "Midgar Zolom", it is simply wrong and has to be corrected. If you are angry about this and other logical changes, I cannot help you. Our job isn't to pander to every fanboy's religious-like frenzy, it is to create something Hironobu Sakaguchi would be proud of.

I guess it takes a certain kind of person to be willing to do a retranslation of an RPG, and this is what we end up with.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 18, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

He does realize that as FF7's localization was done in house in Japan then there's no way the original writer didn't have input, nay perhaps even having the idea.

Whatever, it's going to be as bland and obnoxious as every other "retranslation."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

He does realize that as FF7's localization was done in house in Japan then there's no way the original writer didn't have input, nay perhaps even having the idea.

Those things are legitimately badly translated, to be fair. Midgar Zolom or whatever it is really should be Jörmungandr or Midgardsormr. It's literal that exact reference in Japanese. The Japanese version is ミドガルズオルム which I'd use Midgardsormr for. Final Fantasy X used ヨルムンガンド and translated it as Jörmungandr which also makes sense.

There's even Japanese concept art that backs it up:

But a lot of other stuff is, yeah, being overly literal where it probably shouldn't be.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 18, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I like the idea that this guy scans his script over and over again, wondering if the Great God Sakaguchi will smite him dead if he skips the honorifics.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like how this guy is resistant to changing stuff in the translation process and then accuses fans of the original translation of being resistant to change.

EDIT: And I think some retranslation patches aren't terrible. The BoF2 one was pretty good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Whatever, it's going to be as bland and obnoxious as every other "retranslation."

This is undeniable, but you have to compare it against the already existing translation which is kind of terrible already. Like I said, if only they'd kept Barret's actually fun personality (in fact, he's the only character with a personality) I'd be all the way with this.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Just struttin' my stuff"

It's honestly kind of depressing that we can render Amano's art pretty well now, long after he's really into doing art direction for video games.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Amppelix posted:

This is undeniable, but you have to compare it against the already existing translation which is kind of terrible already. Like I said, if only they'd kept Barret's actually fun personality (in fact, he's the only character with a personality) I'd be all the way with this.

Nah, the others have that amount of a shallow veneer of a personality too. It's just in most cases its obfuscated by "has some form of a mental illness."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I thought VII had one of the better parties. Everyone has a legitimate reason to be there, everyone has their own arc of development and closure, and Cloud is probably the most interesting main protagonist in the series.

Making the entire party feel useful or giving them all proper development is something VIII, IX and XII failed at.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

To be fair, XII never really set out to be a character-focused game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Making the entire party feel useful or giving them all proper development is something VIII, IX and XII failed at.
And to be fair, IX does an okay job. Freya, Amarant, and Quina are hanger-ons, but Zidane, Dagger, Eiko, Steiner, and Vivi all have satisfactory character arcs tied into the story itself.

And Quina and Freya at least get their moments in the sun, even if they don't have real arcs. The only real outlier is Amarant.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Ipsen's Castle?

Freya was the one who was kicked to the curb, hard. Quina's resolution was small but her character arc was small so it fit.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

Ipsen's Castle?

Freya was the one who was kicked to the curb, hard. Quina's resolution was small but her character arc was small so it fit.

Quina's worth having if only for her marriage to Vivi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Final Fantasy X|X-2 coming out 18th March 2014 in the US, 21st March in Europe

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-18-final-fantasy-10-10-2-hd-arrive-for-europe-next-march

It's coming out in Japan on the 26th December 2013, so we get it an entire season later. I know that's not exactly the best date to release something in the West, but are we still having to put up with delayed international releases from Square Enix? They also just got Lightning Returns, which doesn't come out until 11th February here, but I'm not really upset by that.