Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Ordinary e39: that rocks and I love it.

e39 M5: may they burn in hell forever.

On a side note, that is an amazing install marred by really lovely cosmetic work on the outside.

Yeah I'm really not a fan of that hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The worst part is, it was done to an issue-free 80k mile M5. You could get an aristo here for what he paid for the engine, and have a clean M5 sitting beside your 2JZ boat.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Front end is way too busy and those look like ebay headlights but the rest looks good.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How much of a gain is this over the regular S62?

I feel like it was a short term gain over a long term of headaches.

This is with the impression that the S62 is a relatively long lasting motor. If this was done to an E46 M3 or the E60 M5... yeah I kinda see that with all the main bearing problems the engines are dealing with.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

So... What's this?

Oh, hello there

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This is with the impression that the S62 is a relatively long lasting motor. If this was done to an E46 M3 or the E60 M5... yeah I kinda see that with all the main bearing problems the engines are dealing with.

Bit of detectiving and it apparently makes 500whp compared to 320whp with the standard engine. The above pictures are what it looks like now (he's trying to sell at $22k obo) but this is what it looked like when the swap was done three years ago:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Edmund Honda posted:

Bit of detectiving and it apparently makes 500whp compared to 320whp with the standard engine. The above pictures are what it looks like now (he's trying to sell at $22k obo) but this is what it looked like when the swap was done three years ago:

Yeah, its cool, but the god drat body kit is so off putting.

My only real issues with doing giant engine/transmission swaps is the whole "how many people are really going to want this thing". Upgrading a 305 to a 350? Yeah smart upgrade that 90% of the world would never have a problem with. This? Its been for sale for quite some time.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The S65 and S62 have similar bearing designs, and it's all down to lubrication. After reading about the bearing failures and discovering that used E92 I had in the UK also started suffering from it, I bought new so I was sure how the car had been cared for. Posters on M3Post have started to use Blackstone, and those of us who heeded their warnings have been changing the oil at a max of 7500 miles instead of 15000. I also let the motor idle on cold start for a minute to ensure there's some oil moving around before loading the motor.

Also that JDM'ed E39 would be much cooler if it was purposefully made to look like a 530i or somesuch.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Das Volk posted:

The S65 and S62 have similar bearing designs, and it's all down to lubrication. After reading about the bearing failures and discovering that used E92 I had in the UK also started suffering from it, I bought new so I was sure how the car had been cared for. Posters on M3Post have started to use Blackstone, and those of us who heeded their warnings have been changing the oil at a max of 7500 miles instead of 15000. I also let the motor idle on cold start for a minute to ensure there's some oil moving around before loading the motor.

Also that JDM'ed E39 would be much cooler if it was purposefully made to look like a 530i or somesuch.

You mean like this? :v:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/163298-e39-ls1-swap-completed.html

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
That is perfection. The typical early model foggy headlights, tiny (15"?) wheels, no drop.

edit: Blah, that is a before shot and he didn't keep the wheels.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, but it's still pretty much the same (dorkier wheels now). 4th winter is what made me laugh the hardest.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

One of my best friends and I actually went and drove it. Unfortunately they couldn't agree on a price. Let me know if you want more of my thoughts on this.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Das Volk posted:

You have an M3 still right? What oil are you using? Factory-recommended 10W-60 Castrol TWS at 7500 miles? I've had mine for 5500 miles and I was wondering when to change it - the oil minder is telling me another 4300 but I wasn't too keen on a 10k change.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

GramCracker posted:

One of my best friends and I actually went and drove it. Unfortunately they couldn't agree on a price. Let me know if you want more of my thoughts on this.

I think quite a few of us would be interested.

Mar 25, 2004

Just a quick note for anyone in the Phoenix area. The Barrett Jackson Veyron is being driven around Scottsdale again in the leadup to the auction in a couple months. I've seen it cruising my neighborhood in PV and up Tatum and down Scottsdale Rd. I know not everyone really likes them but it's kind of fun. So, AZ AI dudes, be on the lookout!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Imperador do Brasil posted:

You have an M3 still right? What oil are you using? Factory-recommended 10W-60 Castrol TWS at 7500 miles? I've had mine for 5500 miles and I was wondering when to change it - the oil minder is telling me another 4300 but I wasn't too keen on a 10k change.

Yeah I use TWS - Blackstone told me 7500 is the limit on the oil, less if you're hard on it. I have a space grey one now from new, it's got 6000 miles now and 4800 on the oil, I've got the Hillclimb in the current oil and will probably run it at Thunderhill in a couple weeks then change/sample it. Hopefully that should be around 6000 miles on the oil, with a lot of hard driving.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Das Volk posted:

Yeah I use TWS - Blackstone told me 7500 is the limit on the oil, less if you're hard on it. I have a space grey one now from new, it's got 6000 miles now and 4800 on the oil, I've got the Hillclimb in the current oil and will probably run it at Thunderhill in a couple weeks then change/sample it. Hopefully that should be around 6000 miles on the oil, with a lot of hard driving.

Awesome thanks. I had been wondering whether it was worth it to switch to like a Mobil1 0W-40, seeing as I don't track the car. I am going to do it at 7500, even with the pretty easy driving I do.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

MY90sDREAM.jpg

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I think quite a few of us would be interested.

Absolutely!

The owner was very nice and definitely knows what he is doing/talking about. The car drove fine, and about everything worked except something in the dash cluster..I forgot what, but it was because the standalone didn't 100% communicate with the OEM ecu (might have been oil or water temp). There was a bit too much drone for me, which could be remedied by some resonators, and then there's the issue of getting the car titled. Unless you know someone at the DMV, that isn't happening. Also, he had some weird rear end "clutch stop" thing behind the pedal.

My main issues that I raised with my friend were that I don't want to see him buy that car and then be stuck with it, as the market for such a Frankenstein car as that, is incredibly small. I'd actually be willing to put money on it that my friend was roughly the only person who would actually have bought the car. Another thing is, how do you value a car like that? Our thoughts when looking were that it would basically have to have the same value as a stock E39 M5 with the same miles, so around $17-18k.

Now the car certainly has that "cool" factor, and if you want to make the E39 M5 faster, that's a great way to go about it. But at the end of the day, the little things do add up and make one question if that is a wise purchase.

Mar 25, 2004

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

MY90sDREAM.jpg

I was at the Geneva Car Show when they unveiled this thing and I think I spent about 3 rolls of film on it alone. 90s dream is loving right.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
That clearcoated CF one looks like one of the continuations built by Dauer, before Edonis got the remaining tubs and mutilated them.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

655321 posted:

I was at the Geneva Car Show when they unveiled this thing and I think I spent about 3 rolls of film on it alone. 90s dream is loving right.

I'd take everything in the background first, though. What a time to be a teenager! Still think the XJ220 is a crazy beautiful car.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 18, 2013

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

echoplex posted:

I'd take everything in the background first, though. What a time to be a teenager! Still think the XJ220 is a crazy beautiful car.

I finally saw one in person last year at a pretty small parking lot car show. It was as beautiful in person as in all my dreams. It just looks 'right' even after 20 years. If I had the money and only enough space for 3 cars in the garage, it would be one of them. Along with probably an M5 and a built up D-110.

Mar 25, 2004

I'd probably agree. The XJ220 was pretty great and I've had the opportunity to see a couple. I remember seeing it back in the day and thinking "holy poo poo" but I don't remember why I never really fell in love with it. Meh, doesn't really matter. All 4 of those cars are just boner time action extreme.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

echoplex posted:

Now take some XJ220s, some washed up old race car drivers, throw them into a tiny roval, and watch the chaos commence. :unsmigghh:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yes, that's the exhaust in top of the hood.

video, with flames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssGy4lUvd_c

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 19, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Screamer pipe from a turbo setup? I want it to be a screamer pipe.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Main exhaust. Screamer pipe dumps under the car because of the manifold design and position of the wastegate.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So my friend just picked this up as his employee lease deal with BMW. It is too bad that he moved out of state so I can't go for a ride IRL...

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So my friend just picked this up as his employee lease deal with BMW. It is too bad that he moved out of state so I can't go for a ride IRL...

I'm really curious as to what has taken place with the car, considering it sold a couple months back and just sat in the lot awaiting shipment across country. Hrm. I do want it though!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Somewhat Heroic posted:

huh, didn't think the forest service used foreign autos

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

365 Nog Hogger posted:

huh, didn't think the forest service used foreign autos

Every time I look, I can't help but think of Aquafresh. Hope the owner has fresh breath. :haw:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

GramCracker posted:

Absolutely!

The owner was very nice and definitely knows what he is doing/talking about. The car drove fine, and about everything worked except something in the dash cluster..I forgot what, but it was because the standalone didn't 100% communicate with the OEM ecu (might have been oil or water temp). There was a bit too much drone for me, which could be remedied by some resonators, and then there's the issue of getting the car titled. Unless you know someone at the DMV, that isn't happening. Also, he had some weird rear end "clutch stop" thing behind the pedal.

My main issues that I raised with my friend were that I don't want to see him buy that car and then be stuck with it, as the market for such a Frankenstein car as that, is incredibly small. I'd actually be willing to put money on it that my friend was roughly the only person who would actually have bought the car. Another thing is, how do you value a car like that? Our thoughts when looking were that it would basically have to have the same value as a stock E39 M5 with the same miles, so around $17-18k.

Now the car certainly has that "cool" factor, and if you want to make the E39 M5 faster, that's a great way to go about it. But at the end of the day, the little things do add up and make one question if that is a wise purchase.

Clutch stops are common on BMWs, they have really long pedal travel but engagement point tends to be higher. I use some old rubber robot grippers I had from work for mine.

But yeah, swaps like that are incredibly hard to value. I would agree that it couldn't be worth more than the stock car, and usually they are worth less because you're always dealing with someone elses project. The only exception tends to be swaps that stay in the same family, like 24v swaps on e30s.

Why can't you title it though?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Crustashio posted:

Why can't you title it though?

Depending on the state, engine swaps may have to use an engine newer than the car they go in for emission reasons. That's why you don't see many 426 Hemis in Challengers.

Think he meant register it, you can title anything that isn't stolen or has a lien, basically.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Just going for a drive with my bear

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

JackRabbitStorm posted:

So... What's this?

Oh, hello there

Wow this car keep popping up all over, saw it on craigs in iowa a few months back. They wanted 11k if I remember right. Also more info http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/mmfp_0805_2000_ford_crown_victoria/

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Throatwarbler posted:

Just going for a drive with my bear

Lambearghini :v:

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Was going to post this in the terrible thread, but just couldn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Good because it's loving sweet.