Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yep. Magneto being a holocaust-survivor is a great character touchstone, that's all you need. Everyone understands it immediately, and it makes his character make sense. Marvel doesn't give a gently caress how their characters' origins tie into real world chronology - that's the whole point of the sliding timescale - so why should we?

Edit for content:

Here's some more Superior Foes

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Scrooge McDuck and the Duck comics are awesome awesome awesome.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dolash posted:

The big comic books have that roving continuity thing, don't they? Like, that's how Batman's always 35 or something? Maybe back when Wolverine was introduced decades ago, he was supposed to have been alive in time for the civil war, but now they've moved that up to more turn-of-the-century. In another couple decades, Wolverine will have cut his teeth on the Great War.
No, when he was introduced he was supposed to be a mutated wolverine. As people have said, since he is effectively immortal, there's no need to move his birth around.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Honestly, though - the -what the gently caress- about Magneto is for as near-permanently as he wears that helmet, he should be balder than Chuck.

Maybe he hovers it a centimeter off of his head or something. Or maybe his hair is made out of loose metal shavings, like Wooly Willy.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Maybe Magneto has hair so that when a non-costumed old guy starts moving poo poo around with his mind, we know it's not Patrick Stewart.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yep. Magneto being a holocaust-survivor is a great character touchstone, that's all you need. Everyone understands it immediately, and it makes his character make sense. Marvel doesn't give a gently caress how their characters' origins tie into real world chronology - that's the whole point of the sliding timescale - so why should we?

Edit for content:

It's just occurred to me that I've never seen Shocker without his cowl on. Weird. Also, thank you everyone who has posted Superior Foes in this thread. I'm going to start back-ordering it from my local shop when I go in tomorrow. Appreciate it.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Hakkesshu posted:

Edit for content:

I love the little word bubble showing she's playing Plants versus Zombies.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Atmus posted:

Maybe Magneto has hair so that when a non-costumed old guy starts moving poo poo around with his mind, we know it's not Patrick Stewart.

Xavier's not telekinetic.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
Bah I flipped through some issues to find a humorous current Magneto panel and didn't see any, but you guys are forgetting that Magneto's rocking the cueball look these days.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Gatts posted:

Scrooge McDuck and the Duck comics are awesome awesome awesome.

Seriously. Everyone should read the stuff Don Rosa did with Scrooge. The art and the humor in it are amazing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Thanos and Darkseid are now carpooling with Doom:
http://plasticfarm.tumblr.com/post/67356039004/the-second-thanos-and-darkseid-carpool-buddies-of

Be sure to read part one (link at the bottom) if you haven't.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Uthor posted:

http://plasticfarm.tumblr.com/post/67356039004/the-second-thanos-and-darkseid-carpool-buddies-of

quote:

Inspired by two cosplayers at the 2012 Baltimore Comic Con.

Here's the two cosplayers if someone hasn't seen them:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hakkesshu posted:

Edit for content:

I get smugface Rhino with love hearts for the smashing part, but I'm not sure their plan has to account for Batman and Catwoman?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not to mention all they have to do is ~science~ up some loving reason that because he's the Master of Magnetism and iron is so important to human/mutant/earthling physiology, that he's able to keep the iron in his body super-purified to the point where his blood is the perfect antioxidant. Hence, slow aging...and the only reason he looks older is because he's quite literally the Angry Old Man of the Marvel universe and he's always stretching his entire face to SCREAM OUT HIS BELIEFS!

Honestly, though - the -what the gently caress- about Magneto is for as near-permanently as he wears that helmet, he should be balder than Chuck.

Magneto is bald right now.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Compression of the head, lack of sunlight or yes, oxygen, the sweating that undoubtedly comes from wearing a helmet all the loving time...

They've pretty much disproved that wearing *hats* often causes baldness, but helmets seem like they'd be another story.

The thing is, I doubt Magneto wears the helmet that much when he's not in a fight. Like he might only wear it for a few hours in a day. Just like how I imagine that Captain America or Thor don't wear their helmets all the time.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

The thing is, I doubt Magneto wears the helmet that much when he's not in a fight. Like he might only wear it for a few hours in a day. Just like how I imagine that Captain America or Thor don't wear their helmets all the time.

Like I mentioned above I flipped through stuff looking for a funny panel with his new haircut and he is in that helmet a looooooot.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mister Chompers posted:

Like I mentioned above I flipped through stuff looking for a funny panel with his new haircut and he is in that helmet a looooooot.

Sure on panel. But I'm willing to believe the guy takes it off. Like I've never seen Cyclops change his underpants, but I'm fairly sure that guy does it regular as clockwork.

Plus in Secret Wars he went around without the helmet on for a fair bit so we could all see that he looked like Quicksilver....And for the sequence where he and Wasp bumped not so uglies*.

* = Note that Magneto more than likely explained away to Janet that his powers allowed him to create impenetrable, magnetic fields.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Uthor posted:

Oh Thanos, you adorable nihilist you :3:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Wouldn't it be safer to not have the claws out until you're in the air?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Boy Dan Slott sure was a great writer when he worked on She-Hulk right you guys?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Boy Dan Slott sure was a great writer when he worked on She-Hulk right you guys?

I'm fairly sure that is from a Peter David book, I think Wolverine: First Class.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

The Question IRL posted:

Sure on panel. But I'm willing to believe the guy takes it off. Like I've never seen Cyclops change his underpants, but I'm fairly sure that guy does it regular as clockwork.

Plus in Secret Wars he went around without the helmet on for a fair bit so we could all see that he looked like Quicksilver....And for the sequence where he and Wasp bumped not so uglies*.

* = Note that Magneto more than likely explained away to Janet that his powers allowed him to create impenetrable, magnetic fields.

For years, Magneto's nemesis was a telepath with a machine that let him read the mind of anyone on the planet. I wouldn't be surprised if he frequently slept with that helmet on. I mean, his secret bases were probably shielded against telepathy, but he spent a lot of time traveling and I doubt the Motel 8 in Albuquerque has similar accommodations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Action Tortoise posted:

Wouldn't it be safer to not have the claws out until you're in the air?
But then how would we know that's wolverine?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Magneto is bald right now.

Yeah, I haven't read anything related to him in a really long time. My last memories of him were when he was rocking the perfect-90s hair.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Random panel popped into my head. After Spider-Man takes Franklin out specifically for a hot dog.

Fantastic Four 588, I believe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Question IRL posted:

I'm fairly sure that is from a Peter David book, I think Wolverine: First Class.

I am fairly certain you are wrong as Juan Bobillo never drew a single issue of Wolverine First Class. That's Dan Slott at his 100% shittiest writing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Avulsion posted:

For years, Magneto's nemesis was a telepath with a machine that let him read the mind of anyone on the planet. I wouldn't be surprised if he frequently slept with that helmet on. I mean, his secret bases were probably shielded against telepathy, but he spent a lot of time traveling and I doubt the Motel 8 in Albuquerque has similar accommodations.

True, but up until the first X-Men film came out, Magneto's helmet didn't actually block telepathy. I know it does now, but prior to the films and Grant Morrisons New X-Men run, Magneto had about a dozen different reasons why he didn't get mind wiped which didn't revolve around him wearing his helmet.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Uthor posted:

Random panel popped into my head. After Spider-Man takes Franklin out specifically for a hot dog.

Fantastic Four 588, I believe.

Right after Johnny "died," to boot!

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I genuinely love the stupid fastball special. Many heroes are strong, Wolverine is sharp. Good guys win with teamwork. Comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stagger_Lee posted:

I genuinely love the stupid fastball special. Many heroes are strong, Wolverine is sharp. Good guys win with teamwork. Comics.

I was deliriously happy that you could perform it in the X-men Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, even if it was kinda useless.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Lurdiak posted:

I was deliriously happy that you could perform it in the X-men Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, even if it was kinda useless.

I haven't unlocked Wolverine (or Colossus) yet in Marvel Heroes yet but I will be literally angry with rage if this isn't possible.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's a power Colossus has, and Wolverine sticks around after to beat up the mooks. It rocks.

DrSalt
Jun 27, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

I haven't unlocked Wolverine (or Colossus) yet in Marvel Heroes yet but I will be literally angry with rage if this isn't possible.

You're in luck! Colossus gets it as a standard move. Just walk around tossing Wolverine all day.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DrSalt posted:

Just walk around tossing Wolverine all day.
Well, that doesn't sound right.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fastball Special is an achievement in Lego Marvel Super Heroes as well.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Stagger_Lee posted:

I especially love all the stupid variants of it. Like in the Dark Phoenix Saga when they were on the moon and Wolverine was able to throw Colossus due to the weaker gravity:

Source is Uncanny X-Men #137.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Urdnot Fire posted:

I especially love all the stupid variants of it. Like in the Dark Phoenix Saga when they were on the moon and Wolverine was able to throw Colossus due to the weaker gravity:

Source is Uncanny X-Men #137.

The apple doesn't fall get tossed far from the tree.

I like this one. The art reminds me of Dark Knight Returns in how chunky everyone is.

The most :3: variant.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Action Tortoise posted:

The most :3: variant.

Not the face? What else is there!?!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
What's the first ever instance of the Fastball Special being used?

e:

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's a power Colossus has, and Wolverine sticks around after to beat up the mooks. It rocks.

What happens if Colossus uses the FBS on The Juggernaut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Breetai posted:

What's the first ever instance of the Fastball Special being used?

e:

What happens if Colossus uses the FBS on The Juggernaut?

Uncanny X-men 100

• Locked thread