Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

BrightestCrayon posted:

So I've been hit with my first real wedding related dilemma. I'm submitting my first scientific paper for publication at the end of the week and I don't know what name to submit it under. I had always planned on changing my name so that I could have the same last name as my kids. But I'd actually kind of prefer to work professionally under my maiden name (I work with birds and my last name is Fowler, it's just so appropriate!). My problem is that I don't know if I can legally change my name (keeping my maiden name as a middle name) and then continue to work under my maiden name. I'm afraid that when I switch institutions to work on my PhD or work as a professor that I would end up with an email/class schedule under my married name and it would just gt all confusing.

Does anyone know if you can work under a maiden name after legally changing to your married name? I've tried looking, but everything is giving me conflicting information. I asked a couple of the professors that I work with, but both of them just kept their last names since they're international and didn't want to deal with the paperwork. My fiancee is completely neutral about all of this, so he's no help at all.

I suggest you do not do this. A few professors at my institution chose this route and they have all advised my fiancée not to.

You can do it, but it will give you headaches for the rest of your life to go under one name professionally and another personally/legally. They're trying to invite Jane Doe to give a talk, but the plane ticket needs to be bought for Jane Smith. Purchases were made by Jane Smith while Jane Doe was traveling, to be reimbursed by Jane Doe's grant, and Jane Smith needs the reimbursement made out in her name, even though Jane Doe is the one who works there. Who's Jane Smith? The list goes on; managing multiple identities is always going to be difficult.

It's pretty common in science these days to just not change your name, but I have a couple friends who have just tacked on an extra last name. Jane Doe became Jane Doe Smith. Or the other way around.

Also, if your fiancé is actually completely neutral, you like your last name, and your main reason for changing is to share a name with the kids... well, who says future kids need to take on the paternal name?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

disheveled posted:

I suggest you do not do this. A few professors at my institution chose this route and they have all advised my fiancée not to.

You can do it, but it will give you headaches for the rest of your life to go under one name professionally and another personally/legally. They're trying to invite Jane Doe to give a talk, but the plane ticket needs to be bought for Jane Smith. Purchases were made by Jane Smith while Jane Doe was traveling, to be reimbursed by Jane Doe's grant, and Jane Smith needs the reimbursement made out in her name, even though Jane Doe is the one who works there. Who's Jane Smith? The list goes on; managing multiple identities is always going to be difficult.

It's pretty common in science these days to just not change your name, but I have a couple friends who have just tacked on an extra last name. Jane Doe became Jane Doe Smith. Or the other way around.

Also, if your fiancé is actually completely neutral, you like your last name, and your main reason for changing is to share a name with the kids... well, who says future kids need to take on the paternal name?

I'm changing my name from Jane Middle Doe to Jane Middle Doe Smith and while some things may be just under Jane Smith for easiness, I'm going to try to list Jane Doe Smith as my name as much as possible so my maiden name doesn't totally disappear. Technically it'll be a second middle name, but socially I can list two last names with no issues. I don't see why you couldn't be BrightestCrayon Fowler Smith on publications. Or hyphenate the last name to Fowler-Smith if it's got a nice ring to it like that.

We're getting the marriage license on Friday. We're celebrating christmas, buying a house, moving, and getting married (but no wedding) in the same week. This month is Thanksgiving and my 30th birthday. It's completely nuts but also very exciting! We'll just be inviting family over to the house and doing a self-uniting ceremony ourselves, but I want to decorate the new house with plenty of flowers and maybe some white crepe paper streamers or something.

I'm also making my own cake, but want to get a cake topper to make it look wedding-y. Any sellers you guys really like that make vintage-y looking cake toppers?

Finally, I just bought my dress! I'm posting a link and not the image in case my fiancé is lurking: http://www.thekooples.com/en/woman/dress/-18438.html

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I am 90% sure april vaca in Massachusetts is the same week as patriots day, but I want to double check I'm not making a big misstep. The venue is getting booked quickly and we basically have to pick this week.

You are correct that Patriots day occurs April vacation week in the Commonwealth.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I've known a few researchers that changed their name but kept their maiden name as their professional name in the sciences. You need to have *some* history of publication to make it happen but once you've got at least one paper (more is better, but I'm guessing your PI has already made that fact clear to you) but otherwise it is pretty easy.

Another poster made a good point about reimbursement but I'd be less worried about that. You always have to jump through a certain amount of hoops for compensation so what is one more?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I plan on publishing under my maiden name, then changing it. We got married in June and I haven't changed my name, my paper will be finished around February. People generally figure out what's going on when a woman changes her name; biologists are a fairly smart bunch so I'm sure they'll eventually figure out that two names can be the same person :)

But, I don't really give a crap about academia and plan to get out of it ASAP. So I really don't care what name is on my paper(s).

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
I want a reasonably nice engagement ring, but I don't want to waste a shitload of money on something that loses is value instantly. So I'd like a 3000 dollar ring for 1000 dollars. Is that possible, and how?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

ZoneManagement posted:

I want a reasonably nice engagement ring, but I don't want to waste a shitload of money on something that loses is value instantly. So I'd like a 3000 dollar ring for 1000 dollars. Is that possible, and how?

You answered your own question in a way-- find a used ring. I'm sure other goons have good sources on where to find them. Sometimes you can find people trying to sell rings from failed engagements on craigslist and such.

If you want a new ring, diamond alternatives like moissanite can look like a $3000 diamond ring for less money. If you want a new diamond ring then you're kinda SOL.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

razz posted:

I plan on publishing under my maiden name, then changing it. We got married in June and I haven't changed my name, my paper will be finished around February. People generally figure out what's going on when a woman changes her name; biologists are a fairly smart bunch so I'm sure they'll eventually figure out that two names can be the same person :)

But, I don't really give a crap about academia and plan to get out of it ASAP. So I really don't care what name is on my paper(s).

Counterpoint: Mycology.

Also, good call on getting out of academia. I recommend that path to everyone.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I think the best advice is: Don't buy a ring as an investment. Buy it as a gesture.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Planned wedding date is still almost 2 years away but I'm already tired of looking for a venue. We found a place we both really loved, but it's rather expensive and we were just told that due to a by-law (because it's a municipal building) we can't have our friend perform. She's a fire dancer, insured for $3million, but they won't even let us have her out in the paved parking lot. I guess we're back to looking at other places.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Planned wedding date is still almost 2 years away but I'm already tired of looking for a venue. We found a place we both really loved, but it's rather expensive and we were just told that due to a by-law (because it's a municipal building) we can't have our friend perform. She's a fire dancer, insured for $3million, but they won't even let us have her out in the paved parking lot. I guess we're back to looking at other places.

Yeah, good luck finding a place that allows that. When we were looking everyone was like "You know those cute paper lantern balloons that have been popular? Well, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT USING THEM BECAUSE THE FIRE MARSHAL HAS (insert horror story here)". And we weren't even looking to use them, they just brought this up as a matter of course. I can only imagine what red flags a fire dancer would throw up at standard wedding venues. If you really want to use your friend I'd probably look into smaller venues where you could talk to the owner directly, and avoid any kind of public buildings or spaces.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

My venue doesn't even allow us to have open flame candles. The proprietor might have actually had a heart attack and died on the spot if I had requested a fire dancer.

Your best bet is to find a friend with a large property or a smaller privately owned venue. Or ask your friend where she's performed before since she sounds like she does this professionally. If she's done a performance at a place once before, odds are they'll let her come back.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Yeah, we're thinking of even just having her perform at a stag and doe or something (which we didn't really even want to have, but a bunch of our friends are insisting we do). One of the venues we've already looked at said it would be ok to have the fire dancer, but that was just when we went for an initial tour, I'm not so sure it would be ok if we actually started going through official channels. I think we'll take a look at some other places anyway, just because the place we love is so expensive and we haven't really been blown away by any of the other so far.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

ZoneManagement posted:

Yes and no. Anything worth $3k will never sell for less, but sometimes you can find a deal for very close to wholesale. Look at used pieces, talk to family & friends who might have gotten divorced, etc.

The jewelry buyers I see that get ripped off are the ones with unrealistic expectations who get tricked into buying from a convincing liar.

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned

JohnnyRnR posted:

Yes and no. Anything worth $3k will never sell for less, but sometimes you can find a deal for very close to wholesale. Look at used pieces, talk to family & friends who might have gotten divorced, etc.

The jewelry buyers I see that get ripped off are the ones with unrealistic expectations who get tricked into buying from a convincing liar.

Anyone know any resources legit resources online that resell?

FloorCheese
Jul 17, 2012

BrightestCrayon posted:

So I've been hit with my first real wedding related dilemma. I'm submitting my first scientific paper for publication at the end of the week and I don't know what name to submit it under. I had always planned on changing my name so that I could have the same last name as my kids. But I'd actually kind of prefer to work professionally under my maiden name (I work with birds and my last name is Fowler, it's just so appropriate!). My problem is that I don't know if I can legally change my name (keeping my maiden name as a middle name) and then continue to work under my maiden name. I'm afraid that when I switch institutions to work on my PhD or work as a professor that I would end up with an email/class schedule under my married name and it would just gt all confusing.

Does anyone know if you can work under a maiden name after legally changing to your married name? I've tried looking, but everything is giving me conflicting information. I asked a couple of the professors that I work with, but both of them just kept their last names since they're international and didn't want to deal with the paperwork. My fiancee is completely neutral about all of this, so he's no help at all.

I am not in academia but I'm going through the legal switch right now. So far it seems if you are very up-front with whatever your equivalent of human-resources is, these things can get sorted out. These sorts of things get fixed all the time -- for example, my boss' name is Susan but she goes by Sue. It took about 2 days for her work email to go from susan_lastname@company.com to sue_lastname etc. It's all doable if you make some noise. I've made it really clear that my name is legally changing but I am keeping my maiden name for work and I haven't had any issues yet.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken

ZoneManagement posted:

Anyone know any resources legit resources online that resell?
Walter Bauman is a small chain in North Jersey where I got my pre-owned ring. I feel like I got a good deal and I love it.

They have an online estate shop that has some nice pieces:
http://www.walterbauman.com/estate-jewelry/estate-rings.html?p=2

Though I personally would be too scared to buy a ring online, good luck!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I sent out my invitations over a month ago and have only gotten RSVPs from less than half of the invitees. There's still a couple weeks till the deadline, but at the rate they're trickling in (one every other day it seems) I'm still going to have to call around 75 people. I mean seriously how hard is it to write your name and check "yes" or "no" and walk the pre-addressed stamped envelope to your mailbox? Everyone who got an invitation got a save the date six months ago so it's not like this is a huge shock that they're invited to a wedding.

Did most of you who've gone through this RSVP stuff get a huge flood of responses right at the deadline? I'm flying home two days after my RSVP deadline to meet with the caterer and venue to give them final headcounts so I can't really afford a lot of late RSVPs. In hindsight I should've set the RSVP date to a week earlier than it is to catch all the stragglers, but it's too late now.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
We had to contact about half of our guests after the rsvp deadline. We Facebook messaged and texted though, because no way were we taking the time to call all those people

FloorCheese
Jul 17, 2012

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I sent out my invitations over a month ago and have only gotten RSVPs from less than half of the invitees. There's still a couple weeks till the deadline, but at the rate they're trickling in (one every other day it seems) I'm still going to have to call around 75 people. I mean seriously how hard is it to write your name and check "yes" or "no" and walk the pre-addressed stamped envelope to your mailbox? Everyone who got an invitation got a save the date six months ago so it's not like this is a huge shock that they're invited to a wedding.

Did most of you who've gone through this RSVP stuff get a huge flood of responses right at the deadline? I'm flying home two days after my RSVP deadline to meet with the caterer and venue to give them final headcounts so I can't really afford a lot of late RSVPs. In hindsight I should've set the RSVP date to a week earlier than it is to catch all the stragglers, but it's too late now.

A bunch of people simply didn't RSVP at all until we personally poked them and said, hey, you've known about this for ages, can you tell us yes or no please? We had also sent save-the-dates more than half a year before. It's very annoying but unfortunately part of the deal. People are crap at this kind of thing.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Anyone have any suggestions for groom's wedding band styles and/or a good website to look at for custom work? We are just under a year out right now and I need to start thinking about what I want my wedding band to look like and what materials I want it to use.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

couldcareless posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for groom's wedding band styles and/or a good website to look at for custom work? We are just under a year out right now and I need to start thinking about what I want my wedding band to look like and what materials I want it to use.

Suggestions for styles is kind of personal, although you want to think about when you plan be wearing the ring, and what you'll be doing with it on. For example, do you work with your hands? If so then a pure precious metal might not be ideal because they're soft. Striking designs might look dated in time, or might just look bad on a 50 year old dude as opposed to a younger guy.

I got mine from Boone's Rings and was pretty pleased with the product. I ended up getting a simple dome ring in cobalt chrome with a thin offset gold inlay. He has some more striking designs, as well as some exotic materials like hardwoods or meteorites. Dude shipped the ring two days after I ordered it too.

The big non-precious metals that have been popular are titanium, tungsten, and cobalt chrome. Titanium is the cheapest and lightest, it's grayish in color. Tungsten carbide is super hard and very strong and dense. Cobalt chrome is dense, hard, and white (looks pretty much like platinum). It's also a more workable than tungsten carbide so you can do more with the design. All three are far cheaper than precious metals. I think a simple gold band was starting at like $800, and a platium one was easily $1000+. I got mine for under $500 and I fell like it's much more durable, looks like it's made of platinum, and still has the precious metal inlay just to be a bit fancier.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

My fiancé decided to go with a tungsten ring and it only cost a couple hundred bucks at a Zales outlet. It can't be resized, but since it was so cheap if he ever needs a different size we can just go buy a new one.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My fiancé decided to go with a tungsten ring and it only cost a couple hundred bucks at a Zales outlet. It can't be resized, but since it was so cheap if he ever needs a different size we can just go buy a new one.

From what I've read, they can be *sort of* re-sized. Not traditionally though. If it's needed bigger they can try and mill out a little from the inside, and I've heard some people saying they can add in more material to the inside to size down. It's not ideal and you'll either end up with a thinner or thicker ring, but if it's important to keep "the" ring I've heard it can still be done to some extent. Not as easily as traditional rings though, and not without some changes.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

couldcareless posted:

My fiance wanted his own engagement ring so we got one from here. The best part is that they will do one free "resize", which actually means you send the one ring back and they send you another one that's a different size. You can ask for customized work too, I had asked about making a hybrid between 2 styles and she explained to me how it could be done but ultimately I ended up taking her advice that it would be far too wide and opted for one of their regular styles.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I looked at both suggestions and I like what they have and they gives me a good starting point for narrowing down a style I like.

I'm quite partial to the Mokume styles on Boone.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too

KasioDiscoRock posted:

My fiance wanted his own engagement ring so we got one from here. The best part is that they will do one free "resize", which actually means you send the one ring back and they send you another one that's a different size. You can ask for customized work too, I had asked about making a hybrid between 2 styles and she explained to me how it could be done but ultimately I ended up taking her advice that it would be far too wide and opted for one of their regular styles.

My fiancé also wanted his own ring and I bought it from the same place! They were very communicative during the process as well.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The Knot is kinda cool as a starting point but they should allow me to message people who gave reviews!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
How much of a drama is it to have a ring downsized? What cost am I looking at... the ring I want is from somewhere that won't downsize it, and I think (getting back to me as I forgot to ask) it's going to be a 'medium' size ring when I think my girlfriend is a K size ring. I'm hoping for it to be a three stone design. Just not sure what options I have,

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

teacup posted:

How much of a drama is it to have a ring downsized? What cost am I looking at... the ring I want is from somewhere that won't downsize it, and I think (getting back to me as I forgot to ask) it's going to be a 'medium' size ring when I think my girlfriend is a K size ring. I'm hoping for it to be a three stone design. Just not sure what options I have,

Usually its not not much of an issue, but I am really confused by your post. Rings do not come in sizes medium or "K". They are number sizes. You may want to clarify her ring size before paying for a resize. Also any reputable jeweler should be able to do that for you.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
K is a valid Australian, and I believe uk also, ring size. No idea what medium is. Get it close as you can but the reccomendation is to go bigger as resizing a ring to be larger is difficult, edit your jeweler sounds like a dick for not offering it.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Here's a money saving tip - Hit up your local beautician school for a cheap manicure/pedicure for the big day! I got ahold of the local place and they did an eyebrow wax + spa pedicure + manicure with OPI gel polish for both (french nails, solid toes) for AU$97 all up, which is basically unheard of short of going to a back alley place perhaps. It can take a little longer because it's a student, but they're under expert supervision so I was confident that not a lot could go wrong. Mine was excellent.

I also went to a hair academy place for a wash + treatment + cut + dry that only set me back AU$40--women's haircuts for long hair with a treatment normally are $100+ here.

My makeup + hairdresser on the actual wedding day was more standard in pricing ($145 for putting my hair up with various fun accessories, false lashes, airbrushed on makeup for super sturdiness) but all in all I think I did reasonably well.

Dress + sandals (both definitely wearable again since neither fit the 'white wedding' blueprint) was AU$950 (Wai-Ching.com, made to spec and fitting + shipping included, paid at the height of the AU$ to US$ exchange rate this year, heh) + $20 (Teva, from REI).

My ring also turned out under AU$1k (forget exactly how much, was awhile ago now that we actually bought it) from the most excellent Boone Rings (https://www.boonerings.com) - aircraft grade titanium tension setting with a 6.5mm moissanite (unenhanced, looks great) including shipping. Bruce does free upkeep of the ring for life, as long as you cover shipping costs. My now-husband's had to make more use of this than I so far, his ring's been through a couple permutations of re-sizing and repair already.

Wedding Trip Report!

Wedding in general was just amazing beyond words. We feel so blessed to have the family+friends we do, the day itself to me was mind-blowing mostly because of the incredible warmth, love, generosity and largess shown by just about everyone in attendance. We had a form of handfasting where everyone was invited to participate in binding our arms together symbolic of the ties between friends and family, and some of the things people brought to use were sensational. My mother in law used the cord from her gold medal in hockey when she recently went overseas to represent Australia; another friend used ribbons from her children's first birthday gifts to wish us luck in any future baby-having endeavours. Another friend cut up a tshirt that he made with my husband over 17 years ago when they were at university together. There are no words to describe it all :kimchi:

The kids all had a blast. We had balloons all over the place, and a snow cone machine, and a fairy floss (cotton candy) machine, and my father's house was full of laughing children running around which made me so happy to see. It was just utterly perfect. We had the Xbox Kinect set up and had a crowd all playing --little kids aged 3-8 beating adults aged in their late thirties in a dancing game was hilarious to watch. It was like all my Christmasses and birthday parties came at once!

The food was absolutely fantastic - my uncle organized it all, and it was above and beyond any expectations I had. So many leftovers too! The cost came out to be about ~AU$20 a head, which is criminally cheap considering it was five or six different savoury meat & veg dishes in the buffet, plus 2 different desserts, and there was a man who specifically set up a made-to-order hot plate stand to make these flaky buttery pancake-type flat breads on demand. ~8 staff set up the whole operation, kept the bainmaries full and hot for roughly 4 hours, and packed leftovers into takeaway containers and cleaned up everything afterwards for us. Just amazing.

Might post again later with some pictures - our photographers told us it was far and beyond the most fun wedding they've ever gotten to shoot. I made them take breaks to eat and drink and enjoy the food too since it was a drat hot day and there was so much food! For what they asked for (AU$2k for 2 photographers for 8 hours, all pictures on USB/hard drive with full printing rights etc) they worked bloody hard. A few pictures have started to come through via Facebook and our crazy 'every colour is our colour!' theme has turned out looking fantastic so far. A riot of colour was exactly what we were after.

Overall we definitely didn't come in under our original $5k budget, but we were lucky in that family stepped in and covered the cost for lots of things (most of the drinks, and all of the food, as well as provided the afterparty/open house venue). I think we did really well considering. I actually think once we enter in all the cash gifts our savings will have barely budged from the spending--which means a net profit really, considering we budgeted to expect at least a $5k hit to the account.

TLDR: It certainly wasn't what you would call a conventional, 'elegant' white/princess wedding but it was exactly about the people we are, and love, and everyone had tons of fun and it was all perfect. I can't imagine having done anything any different. A++ would do again.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

couldcareless posted:

Boone's Rings and Chris Ploof Designs. I just got a damascus steel band from Chris Ploof and it's awesome. I'll finally get to wear it in four days!

As for RSVPs, we had to hound a lot of people to get answers as well. I'd say in the first half of the time since they were sent out before the deadline I heard from maybe 10-20% tops. They rolled in heavy in the last week before the deadline.

eeS.
Nov 8, 2005

STUPID AS HELL!!

teacup posted:

I used to work for a jewellers back when I was in college (so things may be different now, so apologies if they are) and I was taught about the risks associated with having to reduce the size of a ring with a stone(s) on it. If the ring is reduced in size too much (I vaguely remember more than 3 or 4 UK sizes becoming an issue?), the claws can end up being stretched apart from each other when the band is reduced and reshaped, which basically means the stone(s) can become loose and risk falling out.

Any jeweller worth his salt should be able to tell you the downsizing limits of your ring, so be sure to check with them before any resizing work is carried out. Best advice of course is to always purchase the ring that’s been made exactly or as close to the size that you want.

I have a quick/general question if I may: Has anyone here been on a 4 week Honeymoon? If so, how many destinations/countries did you visit and also did it ever start to feel like it was becoming too much or exhausting after say the 3rd week?

I know that last part is going to vary from person to person, but I’m only after a bit of general feedback and fingers crossed those of you who have been on a 4 week long Honeymoon thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it :)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Not a honeymoon but I did go on a three week trip to Europe that sounds a lot like what you're planning. Started in Switzerland, then visited France, Germany, Austria, Italy and Spain. By the time we hit Spain I was more than ready to go home and stop living out of a suitcase and have some alone time away from the people I was with. Four weeks would have been too much.

How can you swing a four week honeymoon? I would get fired from my job if I tried that.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Not a honeymoon but I did go on a three week trip to Europe that sounds a lot like what you're planning. Started in Switzerland, then visited France, Germany, Austria, Italy and Spain. By the time we hit Spain I was more than ready to go home and stop living out of a suitcase and have some alone time away from the people I was with. Four weeks would have been too much.

How can you swing a four week honeymoon? I would get fired from my job if I tried that.

In the great socialist land of Australia you get 4 weeks annual vacation that accrues if not used, is one way how. I'm mulling over asking for six weeks off at the end of next year for our 'delayed honeymoon' --by that time it'll be a present for surviving the first year as a married couple! Work might not oblige though, only because of staffing pressures. I've spent 3 weeks in just Spain alone and that still didn't feel like anywhere near any amount of useful time to actually get the feel of the place...it's probably completely down to the individual how well you take to long holidays.

I'm thinking skiing and travelling in Korea/Japan over Christmas 2014/New Year's. Though Iceland is tempting too!

We counted up all the cash gifts that people gave us on the weekend and are slightly amazed at how well people took to the 'please don't buy us anything, if you want you can donate cash to our house fund' spiel. Then again I'm convinced our social group are a rare breed of total mind-blowing awesome, so your mileage may vary. All said and done financially this whole endeavor's been completely pain-free.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Everyone always thinks that but I've found that companies can be very flexible as long as you set it up well in advance. I took off a month for a road trip in 2012, but I let my boss know nearly 6 months in advance. Half if the time off was without pay, but it worked out. Unless you're in some no-skill job where you can be replaced instantly anyway, it's easier to let you have some time off than fire you and take the time and money to find another employee, vet them, and integrate them into the business.

That said, a month long whirlwind trip might wear on you for a honeymoon. On my road trip we were tired of running around after the third week. For our honeymoon we just did some very low key trip where we hung around and just decompressed. The time leading up to the wedding is crazy hectic. My advice would be to take an easy week-long trip to some place nice to chill out, and save the "big trip" for your first anniversary or something.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

A quick word of warning: Titanium Era, listed in the OP, is happily charging credit cards but not shipping and not answering emails or the phone. Calls to their main number drop into a generic synthesized mailbox that speaks only in french.

AVOID: http://www.titaniumera.com/

Can the OP update this info?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We had around 40 people tell us they were coming and didn't show up. No word from them or anything about why they didn't come, they just weren't there. It kinda pissed me off because we had so much extra food but our wedding was pretty casual (and that is an understatement) so we all just ate the rest of it later that evening and sent a bunch home with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

DkHelmet posted:

A quick word of warning: Titanium Era, listed in the OP, is happily charging credit cards but not shipping and not answering emails or the phone. Calls to their main number drop into a generic synthesized mailbox that speaks only in french.

AVOID: http://www.titaniumera.com/

Can the OP update this info?

Will do, thanks.