Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Like what even is this movie about, a giant blue dude who stalks a woman? Unbelievable. Dudes are not that big. His head is bigger than her whole body

Nice feet Rob Liefeld :rolleyes:

Let me guess: Jack Nicholson smokes a magic cigarette and the woman of his dreams coalesces from the smoke. If I wanted to watch some lame escapist fantasy, I would watch Ruby Sparks.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I have seen posts like these made about photographs because someone was wearing dark clothes or there was a bit of foreshortening.

People are just convinced they need to be smarter than the things they look at.

And yes, I say this as someone who hates the majority of Mondo posters.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Geekboy posted:

I have seen posts like these made about photographs because someone was wearing dark clothes or there was a bit of foreshortening.

The majority of Mondo posters do suck. Especially since the majority of Mondo posters look designed in A-Ha's "Take on me" video.

Some people just take poster critiquing to silly extents.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Mondo posters are typically beautiful works of art, but they do not meet rigorous goon standards so this:

is "too detailed" or "ORANGE AND BLUE!!" or "I don't know what this movie is about."

This:

"HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MOVIE!!!!!!"

This:

"Is that supposed to be Jamie Foxx?" "Ugh, brown" "What's with the terrible perspective issues?"

This beautiful, beautiful poster:

would probably get owned repeatedly by goons who hate how it doesn't perfectly recreate the atmosphere of the movie it is advertising, something ALL MOVIE POSTERS MUST DO!!! EXCELSIOR!!!!!

EDIT:

LMAO what even is this??? Mondo loving rank amateurs

Wendell
May 11, 2003

None of those are representative of the style of Mondo posters hated here. Scary Ghost Dog, you are going off the rails.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Wendell posted:

None of those are representative of the style of Mondo posters hated here. Scary Ghost Dog, you are going off the rails.

Those are random picks from the 2013 Mondo archive, so maybe these guys:

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The majority of Mondo posters do suck. Especially since the majority of Mondo posters look designed in A-Ha's "Take on me" video.

Some people just take poster critiquing to silly extents.

Geekboy posted:

Should make sure they know what they mean by "majority."

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

scary ghost dog posted:

Mondo posters are typically beautiful works of art, but they do not meet rigorous goon standards so this:

is "too detailed" or "ORANGE AND BLUE!!" or "I don't know what this movie is about."

This one really is loving horrendous child's garbage though, but hey, so was the movie! \/:)\/

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Wendell posted:

Exactly.

Like take a look at these Captain America posters: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/captain-america-gets-some-sweet-prints-from-the-badass-mondo-poster-crew

Eric Tan's stuff is alright. Olly Moss' stuff is fantastic and I'd hang that poo poo on my wall. But Tyler Stout? Tyler is the epitome of "poo poo Mondo". What the gently caress is wrong with Cap's neck? When the people on it look more like burn victims than Red Skull himself something is loving wrong.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

scary ghost dog posted:

If your takeaway from that poster is that Boogie Nights is about a woman with a warped spine, you're an autistic retard.

It was a joke, can you not recognize exaggeration when you read it??? lol what a goon

scary ghost dog posted:

This:

This:

"Is that supposed to be Jamie Foxx?" "Ugh, brown" "What's with the terrible perspective issues?"

This beautiful, beautiful poster:

would probably get owned repeatedly by goons who hate how it doesn't perfectly recreate the atmosphere of the movie it is advertising, something ALL MOVIE POSTERS MUST DO!!! EXCELSIOR!!!!!

EDIT:

LMAO what even is this??? Mondo loving rank amateurs

Wow, look at all those posters that literally nobody in this thread complained about. I guess that means every Mondo piece is a gorgeous masterpiece, like these:

Yes, cramming as much poo poo into the frame as possible and scribbling lines over everyone's faces is the perfect way to represent these movies.

For someone complaining about "autistic retards" you sure seem to have a rod up your rear end about people not thinking every single Mondo piece is brilliant.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

penismightier posted:

This one really is loving horrendous child's garbage though, but hey, so was the movie! \/:)\/

Agree to disagree homie, but here are some more sweet-rear end Mondo posters to sate your appetite.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

It was a joke, can you not recognize exaggeration when you read it??? lol what a goon

Wow, look at all those posters that literally nobody in this thread complained about. I guess that means every Mondo piece is a gorgeous masterpiece, like these:

Yes, cramming as much poo poo into the frame as possible and scribbling lines over everyone's faces is the perfect way to represent these movies.

For someone complaining about "autistic retards" you sure seem to have a rod up your rear end about people not thinking every single Mondo piece is brilliant.

Cool, two posters from one artist to support the argument that the majority of Mondo posters are poo poo.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 19, 2013

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

scary ghost dog posted:

... so maybe these guys:

Should make sure they know what they mean by "majority."

Oh hey, you totally changed my opinion by posting a couple of decent and a couple of rear end-ugly posters! I'm aware of what Mondo does. I don't like "the majority"*** of it.

*** and of course by "the majority" I mean ... the majority.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

scary ghost dog posted:

Cool, two posters from one artist to support the argument that "the majority of Mondo posters are poo poo."

Can you not loving read?

Nikaer Drekin posted:

you sure seem to have a rod up your rear end about people not thinking every single Mondo piece is brilliant.

I'm not saying they're all bad, not by a long shot. But there are a lot of terrible ones, and I'm not hand-picking any more than you are. In a quick Google Image search for "Mondo posters" practically half of the top results are terrible Tyler Stout ones.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Stop caring about what's bad and start thinking about what's good.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I am seriously debating whether or not to make "Bitching about Mondo/Bitching about bitching about Mondo" a probatable offense. Because I am sick of this crap every time it's brought up.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Vargo posted:

I am seriously debating whether or not to make "Bitching about Mondo/Bitching about bitching about Mondo" a probatable offense. Because I am sick of this crap every time it's brought up.

Oh please. Do it.
I'd consider it a personal favour.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I don't think people should be prohibited from expressing opinions.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

scary ghost dog posted:

I have no visual design capabilities, but the thing that I don't like about the color scheme is that it really doesn't suit the subject matter. It would probably work better swapped around, because Gipsy Danger's primary highlights (the chest generator and the visor) are orange, while the kaijus were mostly greys, blues and greens, and from what I recall so was the city that fight was set in.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Wendell posted:

I don't think people should be prohibited from expressing opinions.

Should probably refrain from claiming the opposing side in the discussion has [mental disorder], though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dig the hell out of the color in this one. Creepshow font as perfect as ever.

Mike Mignola did this one I believe

I like the way the fire looks like flesh ripping away from the endoskeleton.

From her expression, to the undone belt buckle, to the titular maniac's head being out of frame, this poster is perfect for its movie.

The creature looks crazy good on this, and I love the title at the bottom.

Never seen the movie, but I love the color blending behind the title and the action implied by the struck figure.

Very sinister portrait. Doesn't really capture the tone of the movie but it definitely captures the mood of the characters.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 19, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Vargo posted:

Hint: It's not the the people criticizing Mondo posters who are flipping out and posting walls of images with no discussion or commentary beyond all-caps ad hominems intended to silence any criticisms or opposing voice.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Hint: It's not the the people criticizing Mondo posters who are flipping out and posting walls of images with no discussion or commentary beyond all-caps ad hominems intended to silence any criticisms or opposing voice.

I'm going stir-crazy watching people constantly post artistically regressive poo poo all over this thread.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

scary ghost dog posted:

I'm going stir-crazy watching people constantly post artistically regressive poo poo* all over this thread.

*things I personally disagree with

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nikaer Drekin posted:

*things I personally disagree with

Don't worry man you ain't one of em. Though you riled me up when you dissed that excellent Boogie Nights poster.

Edit: And you said that dude didn't know how to draw, which is bullshit you should be embarrassed about saying.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

I'm going stir-crazy watching people constantly post artistically regressive poo poo all over this thread.

I'm involved in creative 'industry' in a roundabout way and I say this as someone with a lot of respect for art (though not necessarily artists) and know full well how much (over) work went into those:

Mondo's business and artistic practice is repulsive.

Wanna talk about regressive? How about their artificial exclusivity? They are intentionally backwards because it makes them special to idiots who want to wax intellectual.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think I can get behind probating the posts that bitch about Mondo. Complain about a particular poster on its individual faults; leave the company out of it while you do. Saying "Typical Mondo garbage" is pretty low-effort anyway.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sad lions posted:

I'm involved in creative 'industry' in a roundabout way and I say this as someone with a lot of respect for art (though not necessarily artists) and know full well how much (over) work went into those:

Mondo's business and artistic practice is repulsive.

Wanna talk about regressive? How about their artificial exclusivity? They are intentionally backwards because it makes them special to idiots who want to wax intellectual.

You lost me when you half-assed giving yourself credibility, then you lost me again when you implied you don't usually respect artists, then you lost me again when you implied that the artists tried too hard, but you won me back with "artificial exclusivity" and "intentionally backwards." Ask your creative 'industry' homies how easy screen printing is.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 19, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

scary ghost dog posted:

This:

Wanna play this Argo pinball machine.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

You lost me when you half-assed giving yourself credibility, then you lost me again when you implied you don't usually respect artists, then you lost me again when you implied that the artists tried to hard, but you won me back with "artificial exclusivity" and "intentionally backwards."

I figured it might provide some context. I don't pretend to be an expert so much as someone who objects to the claim that someone 'anti-Mondo' is someone who is 'artistically regressive'.

Perhaps we can stop levelling ridiculous insults at people because they make fun of something we like? I might even take back the 'idiot' comment as an olive branch.

Wouldn't that be nice?

"Ask your creative 'industry' homies how easy screen printing is."
Not as hard as you seem to think it is.

Sad lions fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 19, 2013

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Varrrrrgoooooo... dooooo iiiiiiiit...

discussing a specific poster should still be fine obviously

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sad lions posted:

I figured it might provide some context. I don't pretend to be an expert so much as someone who objects to the claim that someone 'anti-Mondo' is someone who is 'artistically regressive'.

Perhaps we can stop levelling ridiculous insults at people because they make fun of something we like? I might even take back the 'idiot' comment as an olive branch.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Sorry, I didn't mean to directly insult you until my previous post. When I said artistically regressive poo poo was being posted in this thread, I mean all the time and in general, not just now re: Mondo. My only grief with Mondo is that many, many people hate Tyler Stout (with reason) and cannot help but hate anything associated with him, so they find very bad and wrong reasons to, and then their bullshit rolls downhill. Mondo is not guilty of "artificial exclusivity," they only sell posters they screen print. Screen printing is not as simple as loading the image onto a printer and printing it. Every print is done manually, by artists of another kind.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
I dunno, like what you like and don't worry about what others think of it? Debates are fine, and discussion is encouraged, but why lose your poo poo when people disagree with you?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ratedargh posted:

I dunno, like what you like and don't worry about what others think of it? Debates are fine, and discussion is encouraged, but why lose your poo poo when people disagree with you?

Are you trolling? Is this post for real?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

Are you trolling? Is this post for real?

I'm struggling to see what in that post would be considered trolling.

Honestly, I don't even disagree with you when it comes to this thread and trying to find something wrong with almost every poster that's posted but you're kind of coming across poorly right as your extreme reaction right now doesn't really seem to be even close to proportional to anything that's been happening in this thread and some of those Mondo posters you posted were kind of not that great (and there are others that you didn't post that are horrendous).

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to directly insult you until my previous post. When I said artistically regressive poo poo was being posted in this thread, I mean all the time and in general, not just now re: Mondo. My only grief with Mondo is that many, many people hate Tyler Stout (with reason) and cannot help but hate anything associated with him, so they find very bad and wrong reasons to, and then their bullshit rolls downhill. Mondo is not guilty of "artificial exclusivity," they only sell posters they screen print. Screen printing is not as simple as loading the image onto a printer and printing it. Every print is done manually, by artists of another kind.

They know there's the demand (regardless of my opinion of the work, I won't argue against there being a strong demand for it) and there is no reason not to have a later digital print release of their work to cater to the audience that missed their 'blink of an eye' sales earlier.
Not doing this is them maintaining the view of their work as being collector's items.
There is no reason not to do this other than keeping things as limited works to inflate their desirability beyond what it might otherwise be.
It's a really pompous and arrogant way to engage with their audience.

Honestly, I'd prefer if they got purged from the thread completely since we apparently can't discuss them without the personal insults and posting them without being able to have a discussion would be close to pointless.

Scary Ghost Dog, how many do you own?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I'm struggling to see what in that post would be considered trolling.

Honestly, I don't even disagree with you when it comes to this thread and trying to find something wrong with almost every poster that's posted but you're kind of coming across poorly right as your extreme reaction right now doesn't really seem to be even close to proportional to anything that's been happening in this thread and some of those Mondo posters you posted were kind of not that great (and there are others that you didn't post that are horrendous).

I'm just postin posters while postin about postin posters with other posters.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Sad lions posted:

Honestly, I'd prefer if they got purged from the thread completely since we apparently can't discuss them without the personal insults and posting them without being able to have a discussion would be close to pointless.

This. I like seeing the posters, good and bad subjective as it may be, but it seems like anger reigns supreme more often than not.

And Scary Ghost Dog, we're cool. I even dig that Boogie Nights poster.

Ratedargh fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 19, 2013

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I would prefer if the mondo posters still get posted but the word "mondo" does not appear in any of the posts or the responses to it, because it's very tiring to see cyclical page-long rants against/for Mondo (and not much about the posters) after.

In all honesty I feel the rage against the Boogie Nights poster would not be as intense if the responders did not know it was from Mondo.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Bought a copy of this guy at a bookstore in Ho Chi Minh:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ratedargh posted:

Bought a copy of this guy at a bookstore in Ho Chi Minh:

My condolences.