Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Amnesty International has released a 166 page document covering the human rights abuses against migrant workers doing construction labor for the WC stadiums in Qatar.

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/sites/de...e_world_cup.pdf

Here are the chapter titles:

2: EXPLOITED AND ABANDONED: THE WORKERS OF KRANTZ ENGINEERING

3: ROUTINE ABUSE IN THE CONSTRUCTION SECTOR

4: CONSTRUCTION COMPANIES AND HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES

5: A SYSTEM THAT PERMITS ABUSE AND TRAPS WORKERS

The summary of their findings can be read here: https://www.amnesty.org.uk/press-releases/qatar-fifa-must-not-tolerate-human-rights-abuses-construction-projects-2022-world-cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

did no one give Amnesty a rolex?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

trem_two posted:

Amnesty International has released a 166 page document covering the human rights abuses against migrant workers doing construction labor for the WC stadiums in Qatar.

The summary of their findings can be read here: https://www.amnesty.org.uk/press-releases/qatar-fifa-must-not-tolerate-human-rights-abuses-construction-projects-2022-world-cup

Sepp's already told us that this is a load of bull, so I wouldn't trust "Amnesty International", whoever they are.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

trem_two posted:

Sorry but there's nothing FIFA can do about this, it's out of their jurisdiction and besides the Rolex came engraved it's not like they can return them now.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
What is the name for multiple Rolex? I feel like this is something the FIFA delegates should probably know.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Rolexi

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Dravs posted:

What is the name for multiple Rolex? I feel like this is something the FIFA delegates should probably know.

Do you mean 'the plural'?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's the Japanese Mercedes

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Yeah, my Engrish not too good. Hey, it's not like anyone gives me enough free stuff to remember the word plural. Unlike FIFA delegates.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

Dravs posted:

What is the name for multiple Rolex?

A Blatter

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Adulterous Hitler posted:

What he said was ok thanks German guy.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

:drat:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Why Does Qatar’s £74 Bn World Cup Stadium Look Like a Vagina?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
It's to allow the visiting dignitaries a chance to arrive into the stadium by helicopter and deliver a final symbolic loving of football.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I can't wait for the world's best teams to die of heat exhaustion in the Fannydome

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

the sex ghost posted:

I can't wait for the world's best teams to die of heat exhaustion in the Fannydome

Reminder that it'll be a frozen fanny now they're moving it from the summer!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Ninpo posted:

Reminder that it'll be a frozen fanny now they're moving it from the summer!

I thought they weren't doing that because Sepp didnt want to disrespect the winter olympics, or some other stupid poo poo

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

I thought they weren't doing that because Sepp didnt want to disrespect the winter olympics, or some other stupid poo poo

I think the plan is to play in december?? As to not disrupt boxing day matches

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hegav posted:

I think the plan is to play in december?? As to not disrupt boxing day matches

So they're going to interrupt one of the busiest periods in European football.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

serious gaylord posted:

So they're going to interrupt one of the busiest periods in European football.

The African Cup of Nations does it every couple years tbh.

A WC in December would be the weirdest thing ever though.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
nothing worse than dry sandy minge

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

CareyB posted:

nothing worse than dry sandy minge

Frozen sandy minge possibly?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Byolante posted:

Frozen sandy minge possibly?

soaked in the blood of thousands of migrant workers.

Don't want to go near either if i'm honest.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I don't think winter in Qatar is that cold tbh.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

trem_two posted:

Thats some depressing reading right there

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

How does one stadium even cost £74 Bn, where did that number come from

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

pik_d posted:

Bribe inflation

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

Labor

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

I cackled with laughter then felt bad, I shouldn't laugh at that

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
It will be pretty awkward when all the corrupt poo poo involved with the event in 2022 is completely ignored by Gus Johnson as he calls the final match

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

El Hefe posted:

I don't think winter in Qatar is that cold tbh.

Apparently in the winter, at night time it gets to around 19-24 Celsius (65-75 F). Still pretty balmy.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
It will be pretty great if the EPL just stauntly refuses to shuffle fixtures around and everyone plays their reserve teams in the league for a couple months around the world cup. Bonus points if EPL early kickoffs clash with world cup matches.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I hope they do this so we have some decent football to watch whilst the World Cup is on

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

TheBigAristotle posted:

It will be pretty awkward when all the corrupt poo poo involved with the event in 2022 is completely ignored by Gus Johnson as he calls the final match

He's got getting away from the corrupt construction company that have confiscated his passport, are not paying him any wages, have denied him drinking water while working in incredibly unsafe conditions speed.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Popehoist posted:

It will be pretty great if the EPL just stauntly refuses to shuffle fixtures around and everyone plays their reserve teams in the league for a couple months around the world cup. Bonus points if EPL early kickoffs clash with world cup matches.

Clubs can't refuse to release players, and players won't want to miss a World Cup anyway so if the World Cup is during the winter then it will be during the winter with all the best players.

FIFA/UEFA hit Mallorca pretty hard last season for not releasing Giovani Dos Santos.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Abolish the World Cup its poo poo and has no credibility anyway

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

El Hefe posted:

Clubs can't refuse to release players, and players won't want to miss a World Cup anyway so if the World Cup is during the winter then it will be during the winter with all the best players.

FIFA/UEFA hit Mallorca pretty hard last season for not releasing Giovani Dos Santos.

You clearly missed the part where I said "reserve teams".

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Popehoist posted:

You clearly missed the part where I said "reserve teams".

Ohh right :)

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
In the 3rd minute of bonus time in the 4th quarter of the Germany Brazil Qatar trifinal of the Gazprom World Cup a 200 year old Sepp Blatter rolls onto the pitch in a wheelchair, runs over the Qatari keeper and falls on top of him. The ref gives a fast 3 count and Blatter is declared world heavyweight football champion of the world.

David Beckham is shown on the video screens standing by the players tunnel. He shakes his head and picks up a chair. The vaginadome has never seen action like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

It's okay guys Sepp is going to make sure that working conditions are okay:

The Guardian posted:

Fifa has said "fair working conditions with a lasting effect must be introduced quickly in Qatar" after Sepp Blatter admitted that widespread abuse of migrant workers was "unacceptable" following a meeting with international union leaders in Zurich.

World football's governing body has come under pressure to act in the wake of a Guardian investigation that revealed the scale of the abuse of migrant workers in Qatar who are building the infrastructure for the 2022 World Cup.

Blatter recently travelled to Doha to meet with the emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, and subsequently gave a press conference in which he said the country's rulers were "on the right track" in dealing with the issue.

But after meeting with Wolfgang Niersbach, president of the Confederation of German Trade Unions, and Michael Sommer, president of the International Trade Union Confederation, Fifa said that the trio had agreed that "fair working conditions must be introduced quickly, consistently and on a sustained basis in Qatar".

Sommer said the trade union movement would not rest until conditions were "fundamentally transformed" but that Fifa made it clear they took their "responsibilities on social policy seriously". He added: "Fifa recognises that its international significance brings a responsibility to influence decision-makers in Qatar.

"Qatar must guarantee the core labour standards of the International Labour Organisation, end discrimination and forced labour and allow freedom of association for its 1.3 million migrant workers.

"The direction being taken by Fifa in this sense is welcome, and respects the concerns of people who live for the 'people's game'. We as trade unions maintain our demand: if Qatar does not respond properly, then consequences must follow, and the World Cup be taken from Qatar."

The ITUC has warned that as many as 4,000 migrant workers could die before a ball is kicked in 2022, while a new in-depth Amnesty report last Sunday revealed wide-scale and endemic mistreatment of workers, many of whom are tied to their employer under the kafala system.

Blatter admitted that the situation was "unacceptable" but the Fifa president said publicity generated by the controversial decision to award the World Cup to Qatar in 2022 had helped draw attention to the issue.

"Economic and political leaders must contribute to improving the unacceptable situation in Qatar. That is why I welcome the initiative shown by the DFB [German football federation] and ITUC because together we can achieve change," he said. "I am convinced Qatar is taking the situation very seriously. These very discussions about Qatar show what an important role football can play in generating publicity and thus bringing about change."