Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Someone asked a couple of pages back how McAuliffe's win will affect his ability to be a DLC bag man. Well:

quote:

Virginia Gov.-elect Terry McAuliffe is meeting with political friends and foes before officially taking office, including top labor leaders.

The facetime with union heads is notable because Virginia is a “right to work” state, though union organizing wasn’t a major issue in the election.

McAuliffe, a long-time fundraiser turned politician, met with a handful of labor leaders Wednesday evening for dinner at Morton’s The Steakhouse. It was described as a “thank you” dinner and opportunity to discuss the election by attendees. Guests included American Federation of Teacher’s Randi Weingarten; Terry O’Sullivan of LIUNA; Larry Cohen of the Communications Workers of America; Dennis Van Roekel of the National Education Association and International Association of Fire Fighters Harold Schaitberger.

In my mind there is about a zero percent chance that this meeting wasn't largely about fundraising for Hillary in 2016. As a union thug, I will scream if they jump on board the Hillary train this loving early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

What's with the several Warren 2016 articles the past few days? I thought she already endorsed Hillary.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

notthegoatseguy posted:

What's with the several Warren 2016 articles the past few days? I thought she already endorsed Hillary.
New Republic ran a "Hillary's Nightmare" piece last week and then Politco reacted with a "Wall Street's nightmare" piece the next day and then there were a bunch of other reactions. (I don't think Warren has endorsed Hillary, she's just said she isn't running.)

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

pangstrom posted:

New Republic ran a "Hillary's Nightmare" piece last week and then Politco reacted with a "Wall Street's nightmare" piece the next day and then there were a bunch of other reactions. (I don't think Warren has endorsed Hillary, she's just said she isn't running.)

There was the letter about all the women Democratic senators backing Hillary, but that's all I've seen that would indicate that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ronald McReagan posted:

Someone asked a couple of pages back how McAuliffe's win will affect his ability to be a DLC bag man. Well:

In my mind there is about a zero percent chance that this meeting wasn't largely about fundraising for Hillary in 2016. As a union thug, I will scream if they jump on board the Hillary train this loving early.

This was definitely not a meeting about Hillary 2016. It is almost 100% that this was a meeting of Thank Yous, giving the Unions a hearing, and hashing out which issues he wants to stick his neck out for them / what is feasible with a Republican Assembly.

The Warszawa posted:

There was the letter about all the women Democratic senators backing Hillary, but that's all I've seen that would indicate that.

Warren herself has said she isn't running and her chief fundraiser from her Senate campaign has said that she told him that she wasn't running.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
I meant re: the Hillary endorsement, not Warren running. I meant to quote the post above the one I actually quoted.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Yes other than endorsing Hillary that one time she hasn't endorsed Hillary.

To be fair it was supposed to be a private letter, like Reid telling Obama to run back in 06, but it's not the kind of thing you do if you're planning on running yourself.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Rick legitimately cannot handle a race where he's not the major frontrunner/basically unopposed. He hasn't had to work to be governor here in ages, his machine is built around "REMEMBER I'M RICK PERRY AND I'M GOVERNOR WHY CHANGE GOVERNORS WHEN I'M GOVERNOR? GOD!" He legitimately has no clue what to do if there's anyone ahead of him in a race, let alone multiple people and he's pushed to the fringe.

In a national race Perry would be stymied by his inability to simply pass out contracts like whipits at an Aggie barn dance.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

In a national race Perry would be stymied by his inability to simply pass out contracts like whipits at an Aggie barn dance.

Oh yea also this, to buy a presidential election you need national clout to throw around, or massive private interests, Perry wins by throwing his state clout around and sometimes large private interests.

To be honest if I had one fly on the wall moment it'd be Rick Perry figuring out that the contract to redo some Texas interstate is actually NOT enough to buy someone's support on the national scene.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Keep on truckin', Scotty.

quote:

Warren has spent her first year in the U.S. Senate grandstanding at committee hearings and the Senate floor and blasting out emails of her video performances to supporters and the media. She delivered a speech yesterday in Washington to Americans for Financial Reform - talk about a friendly audience. But where is Warren on the disastrous rollout of the Affordable Care Act? Why isn't she giving more speeches to her constituents on issues like health care? Here's some not-so-friendly advice from the man she defeated, former U.S. Sen. Scott Brown. "She needs to help Massachusetts get out of this Obamacare mess," Brown told the Herald in a text.

Yeah, Liz, what are you doing to free Massachusetts of the tyranny of Obamacare and return it to the totally different days of Romneycare? Oh, and he said that while in Iowa. Keep in mind that this means there's probably a parallel universe where the 2016 general election really is going to be between the two of them.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I also like how reporters are communicating official quotes by text nowadays.

I'm sure he sent a follow up text of "Bqwhateve" to clarify his stance on Obamacare.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Ronald McReagan posted:

Hello fellow union thug!

Get ready to start screaming. Either that or they had dinner to talk about the state pension fund.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Keep on truckin', Scotty.

Yeah, Liz, what are you doing to free Massachusetts of the tyranny of Obamacare and return it to the totally different days of Romneycare? Oh, and he said that while in Iowa. Keep in mind that this means there's probably a parallel universe where the 2016 general election really is going to be between the two of them.

Wow, the Herald is STILL blowing Scott Brown? Talk about sour grapes.

Also, Joe Battenfeld has one of those faces you just want to punch until it isn't a face anymore.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Guess who thinks the GOP's debate process should change. I'll give you three tries.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/rick-perry-hell-yeah-gop-should-change-presidential-debate-process

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

Guess who thinks the GOP's debate process should change. I'll give you three tries.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/rick-perry-hell-yeah-gop-should-change-presidential-debate-process

Is it Chris Christie? Rand Paul? Is it uhhh...

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

dilbertschalter posted:

Is it Chris Christie? Rand Paul? Is it uhhh...

Gina McCarthy?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The thing people tend to forget about Perry is that he was already taking a real beating before his three cabinet positions gaffe. It was far from just the debates that killed him.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Also he got purved on back medicine and pundits are still arguing over whether the resulting speech was more "intoxicated" or "flaming."

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Cliff Racer posted:

The thing people tend to forget about Perry is that he was already taking a real beating before his three cabinet positions gaffe. It was far from just the debates that killed him.

All the hype about that doofus was just precious though. Not even in hindsight but at the time people even here were warning that he's got some magical political voodoo powers, and turns out nope Texas just prefers to either elect or execute their mentally retarded depending on race, just as many of us had suspected.

Reminds me of all the puff pieces on Palin as the great reformer of the endless con game called the Alaska state government that came out right up until we first heard her speak.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 21, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ehh, all Perry needed to do to win the primary was to run a competent campaign. Since he was a sitting governor it wasn't too surprising that most of us thought that he was capable of doing that.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 21, 2013

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

comes along bort posted:

All the hype about that doofus was just precious though. Not even in hindsight but at the time people even here were warning that he's got some magical political voodoo powers, and turns out nope Texas just prefers to either elect or execute their mentally retarded depending on race, just as many of us had suspected.

Reminds me of all the puff pieces on Palin as the great reformer of the endless con game called the Alaska state government that came out right up until we first heard her speak.
I suspect that it's mostly due to a generational fear of the Next George W Bush that sparks this on the left, much like the Next Ronald Reagan did for the previous generation. Sure, those were unique situations that produced clearly incompetent war criminals who ran roughshod over the nation, and the situations shouldn't be repeatable... but then again, the unique situations that produced the Bush president weren't suppose to happen either.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Cliff Racer posted:

Ehh, all Perry needed to do to win the primary was to run a competent campaign. Since he was a sitting governor it wasn't to surprising that most of us thought that he was capable of doing that.

If by competent you mean go back in time to 2008 and snatch up all the money and organization people Romney bought out first then yeah, competent. That's the ticket.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

comes along bort posted:

If by competent you mean go back in time to 2008 and snatch up all the money and organization people Romney bought out first then yeah, competent. That's the ticket.

There are hundreds of races every year, it is impossible for a candidate to monopolize talent. That Perry wasn't able to build something out of the scraps that were left his late campaign does say something, beyond just saying "don't be last."

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 21, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Actually, the Perry campaign had too much staff talent. They brought in a bunch of DC-based people who feuded with the Texas-based people over who was in charge. Perry would have been better off just leaving everything up to Dave Carney even if he hadn't had that kind of responsibility on a national campaign before.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
As the guiltiest of the "Oh gently caress, Perry" crowd, a lot of out-of-staters really don't understand the amount and influence of the wealth in Texas. California is wealthier and has more clout, but it's more dysfunctional and also more fragmented politically. The homebuilders, oil men, defense contractors and so on will line up. Texas isn't some hee-haw backwater, it's 3-4 of the top 10 largest cities in the country, it's NASA, it's the nation's largest international port, it's the world's largest medical center, it's one of the two most diverse large states in the union. It's easy to hurf durf and pretend you're dealing with Alabama, but unless you're from California you're basically poor little people compared to Texas and your political influence is an afterthought. Perry's problem is that he's a loving idiot. Money can't fix that. As Bush, DeLay, Armey, Gramm and others have proved, you don't need to be popular in NY and CA. My point being, until Texas's minorities take up the mantle, accept responsibility and vote in numbers equivalent to their population percentage, you can expect redneck idiot politicians to be a powerhouse.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReindeerF posted:

Perry's problem is that he's a loving idiot. Money can't fix that.

It certainly helps at the state level.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
For the last couple of cycles the GOP seems to have legitimately forgotten just how smart you have to be to get through a single general debate. Bush might have sounded like Perry but he was pretty drat quick on his feet; I'd rank Bush way above Romney in terms of smarts as well.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

SedanChair posted:

For the last couple of cycles the GOP seems to have legitimately forgotten just how smart you have to be to get through a single general debate. Bush might have sounded like Perry but he was pretty drat quick on his feet; I'd rank Bush way above Romney in terms of smarts as well.

Look at the old Bush debates from when he was going for governor. He was pretty sharp. Dunno what happened since but pre-TX governor Bush sounded a hell of a lot smarter than candidate Romney or President Bush for that matter. It's like the fucker had a secret head injury or got some kind of brain damage.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/TexasGubernatorialDeba

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 21, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's just the increased scrutiny of running for president/being president. Plus the narrative that Bush was dumb, which remains a treasured canard to this day. In fact there's no evidence that Obama is any smarter or less prone to gaffes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SedanChair posted:

Stuart Stevens also makes clear in his book The Big Enchilada that the Bush 2000 campaign spent months on debate prep.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SedanChair posted:

That's just the increased scrutiny of running for president/being president. Plus the narrative that Bush was dumb, which remains a treasured canard to this day. In fact there's no evidence that Obama is any smarter or less prone to gaffes.

If I remember right, Bush's early experiences in Texas politics burned him badly as he got tarred, rightly, as a silver-spoon New England elitist,* and resolved never to be out-rednecked again.

And even though he wasn't quite as dumb as every hack comedian and SNL skit made him out to be, the man clearly didn't have a ton going on upstairs. By his own admission basically skated through college and business school on a gentleman's connection.

*Not that there's anything wrong with being a New England elitist, mind :smug:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Look at the old Bush debates from when he was going for governor. He was pretty sharp. Dunno what happened since but pre-TX governor Bush sounded a hell of a lot smarter than candidate Romney or President Bush for that matter. It's like the fucker had a secret head injury or got some kind of brain damage.

I bet the physical demands of a 21st-century presidential campaign are just hell on one's mental faculties. If it's anything like as bad as having a newborn baby...let's just say I would not trust myself to make important decisions in such a state.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And even though he wasn't quite as dumb as every hack comedian and SNL skit made him out to be, the man clearly didn't have a ton going on upstairs. By his own admission basically skated through college and business school on a gentleman's connection.
For some reason, I always got the sense that Dubya was actually pretty bright, but also massively intellectually incurious and seeming to seriously believe that his ability to make decisions from the gut were worth a thousand carefully considered reports from four-eyed poindexters. Lots of potential, but zero effort to develop it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

FMguru posted:

For some reason, I always got the sense that Dubya was actually pretty bright, but also massively intellectually incurious and seeming to seriously believe that his ability to make decisions from the gut were worth a thousand carefully considered reports from four-eyed poindexters. Lots of potential, but zero effort to develop it.

I have a hard time saying he's pretty bright while simultaneously being incredibly intellectually incurious, it smacks a bit of compartmentalization to me. I mean sure, W wasn't actually the drooling troglodyte that I still call him to wind up some of my reactionary relatives, but I think it's largely academic whether or not he had any actual smarts since he clearly chose not to use them, in favor of the gut decision making you reference.

Then again, he spent a long time hooked on booze and blow, which a casual stroll through TCC prove can do a hell of a number on your cognitive abilities.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 21, 2013

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I have a hard time saying he's pretty bright while simultaneously being incredibly intellectually incurious, it smacks a bit of compartmentalization to me. I mean sure, W wasn't actually the drooling troglodyte that I still call him to wind up some of my reactionary relatives, I think it's largely academic whether or not he had any actual smarts since he clearly chose not to use them, in favor of the gut decision making you reference.

Then again, he spent a long time hooked on booze and blow, which a casual stroll through TCC prove can do a hell of a number on your cognitive abilities.
It's just I would occasionally get glimpses that the guy could be pretty on-the-ball when he felt like it; it's just that he almost never felt like it.

His dumb seemed like a different kind of dumb than you usually get in dumb politicians. I never got the sense from Palin or Quayle or Bachmann that there was much in the way of unplumbed depths to them.

But yeah, in practice he might as well have been the photoshopped chimpanzee image that liberals loved to pass around of him.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I was pretty proud of him the way he dodged that shoe, you have to admit he was pretty on the ball there. Standing strong for American values while Nouri al-Maliki limp-wristedly swipes at the air.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Today in ongoing coverage of Joe Biden's existence.

quote:

Biden quickly announced that the sandwiches — they're called subs, not hoagies, he asserted — originate from Wilmington's Union Street — "where I hang out."

"The president's waiting. I'm having lunch with him today," Biden said to no one in particular.

Four sandwiches later, Biden had racked up a bill of $56.25 for his to-go order, exhausting the contents of the vice presidential wallet. So Biden turned to his assistant, Fran Person, to borrow the difference as a shop worker offered one of the sandwiches to be on the house.

"No, no, no, I'm not taking it," Biden said, adding that he's had to pay every time he's visited the restaurant for the last 40 years. "In Delaware, you pay. It's simple."

Outside the shop, the vice president's visit formed a bit of a spectacle, and he shouted his sandwich suggestions to onlookers who'd caught wind of his visit. He was less accommodating to a group of oversized presidential mascots known for their fourth-inning races during Washington Nationals games.

"Hey, I love you guys, but you know, if you showed up outside Capriotti's on Union Street, you'd be in trouble," Biden said. "They're all Phillies fans, you know what I mean?"

Has there ever been someone better suited to their present political station?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
True fact: The Onion has had a reporter embedded with the VP's staff since day one of this administration.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Pretzel-induced hypoxia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

Today in ongoing coverage of Joe Biden's existence.

Has there ever been someone better suited to their present political station?

If he gets a couple of good photo ops with Phillies (and ex Iowa Cubs) manager Ryne Sandberg, he could give Hillary a serious scare.

• Locked thread