Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I'm trying to replace my microwave right now. The guy who owned my house before me has a history of "repairs" that make things that should take 30 minutes take 6 hours, and this is no different. After removing the old microwave, I found out that he neglected to install any kind of adapter for the old vent system, and instead just taped off half of the old vent pipe:

After a trip to Home Depot, I cut off the end of the old vent pipe so that I could install the adapter. No wonder the old microwave never vented right:

There was a good 3-4 inches of leaves and other yard built up. Now I get to go on the roof to see why stuff was getting in. I hate that guy so, so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm seeing a lot of nuts and such in there, could be a squirrel's hideout/trash heap you just ransacked?

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
It's possible, but my neighbor's oak tree has a branch that hangs over that section of the roof so I think it's more likely that it's just pieces of that that have bounced into the vent over time. I'm really, really crossing my fingers that when I had the house reroofed before moving in that the roofers fixed whatever was up there, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Stolen from the PYF Funny Pictures thread:

particle409 posted:

Not sure if this is funny, bad-rear end, or what. Apparently a tornado took the roof up, blew the blinds up, then the roof came back down on the blinds.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dillbag posted:

Stolen from the PYF Funny Pictures thread:

That's just physics giving you the middle finger, there.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
At least physics gave his ceiling back when it was done playing with it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

The Human Cow posted:

I'm trying to replace my microwave right now. The guy who owned my house before me has a history of "repairs" that make things that should take 30 minutes take 6 hours, and this is no different. After removing the old microwave, I found out that he neglected to install any kind of adapter for the old vent system, and instead just taped off half of the old vent pipe:

After a trip to Home Depot, I cut off the end of the old vent pipe so that I could install the adapter. No wonder the old microwave never vented right:

There was a good 3-4 inches of leaves and other yard built up. Now I get to go on the roof to see why stuff was getting in. I hate that guy so, so much.

Why would a microwave need a vent?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm assuming it's the vent for the stove.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If it's an mounted microwave they're generally mounted over stoves and thus have ventilation to replace a stove hood.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

atomicthumbs posted:

Why would a microwave need a vent?

Where else is the radiation going to go? :colbert:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

MrYenko posted:

Where else is the radiation going to go? :colbert:

Your food, duh. That's how you become the hulk, by eating a thousand irradiated microwave burritos.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Your food, duh. That's how you become the hulk, by eating a thousand irradiated microwave burritos.

That is why I'm short.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There's a house down the road with a pipe popping out of the lawn, ever 45 seconds or so it belches out a bit of water. It seems really odd because it does it when it hasn't been raining, it doesn't look particularly swampy there, and there's only a slight hill sloping into their backyard. I can't imagine it's cheap to have your sump pump kicking on all day, every day.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

NoWake posted:

Here about 45 minutes west of Cleveland, there's lots of cheap land with good views of the lake. Pretty nice place to live, wouldn't you say?

The inventor of the drop ceiling must have thought so too, and built his mansion right on the lake. Oh, he also built a 40-foot high berm around the whole property to block the view of everybody living south of him.
Prick.

OK, I think we found our "spite/inconsiderate rear end in a top hat" winner here. Unless you can think of anyone who has an actual "sun-blocking" machine on their property to screw over the neighbors.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Blistex posted:

OK, I think we found our "spite/inconsiderate rear end in a top hat" winner here. Unless you can think of anyone who has an actual "sun-blocking" machine on their property to screw over the neighbors.

I doubt he did it to keep the neighbors from seeing the lake. He probably just wanted to cut the traffic noise from the busy road. Inconsiderate? Maybe, but I'm always surprised by how much people feel entitled to have control over land they don't own.

Don't want a car dealership built in the empty field behind your house? Then buy the loving field!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did those people used to have a view of the lake, before he built the house? Because the other houses South of that road that aren't near the property don't really seem to have a great view. It seems pretty flat and forested.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yes but now their trees can't see the water!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are regulatory solutions. Some properties come with easements or building restrictions that would have prevented that dude from putting up his 40' wall. The neighbors could all get together and petition their local government (town or, if unincorporated, county) to try and get the lot re-zoned or something. But, once the wall is up, it's probably a lot harder to do.

I think it's pretty common (and in my opinion somewhat foolish) for people to purchase lots in rural areas recently zoned and subdivided for development, on the assumption that they'll be living with big views of nature on all sides. They throw up their lovely log cabin, and then experience a prolonged multi-year sense of dismay as all the other lots also get developed, and they find after a decade that they're now actually living in a suburb.

If you really want to live with no neighbors, you either need a whole lot of acres, or you need acreage entirely surrounded by protected greenspace.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Leperflesh posted:

There are regulatory solutions. Some properties come with easements or building restrictions that would have prevented that dude from putting up his 40' wall. The neighbors could all get together and petition their local government (town or, if unincorporated, county) to try and get the lot re-zoned or something. But, once the wall is up, it's probably a lot harder to do.

I think it's pretty common (and in my opinion somewhat foolish) for people to purchase lots in rural areas recently zoned and subdivided for development, on the assumption that they'll be living with big views of nature on all sides. They throw up their lovely log cabin, and then experience a prolonged multi-year sense of dismay as all the other lots also get developed, and they find after a decade that they're now actually living in a suburb.

If you really want to live with no neighbors, you either need a whole lot of acres, or you need acreage entirely surrounded by protected greenspace.

Holy poo poo this happens so much here. I love reading loving letters to the editor about idiot rich people from all over the world "falling in love with the rural charm" of some new subdivision, building their million dollar "cabin" and then flipping their poo poo when 1,000 people exactly like them do the exact same thing. Then they get into these ridiculous pissing matches.

Two idiots here recently spend over 200k EACH on legal costs over a tall spite fence they both claimed was built over the other's property. These are like huge 10+ acre properties too and in the end it turned out the fence was on like a fraction of a degree angle so one half was built a couple inches onto the other's property.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

High Lord Elbow posted:

I doubt he did it to keep the neighbors from seeing the lake. He probably just wanted to cut the traffic noise from the busy road. Inconsiderate? Maybe, but I'm always surprised by how much people feel entitled to have control over land they don't own.

Don't want a car dealership built in the empty field behind your house? Then buy the loving field!

I was basing my opinion on what NoWake said. Specifically...

NoWake posted:

Oh, he also built a 40-foot high berm around the whole property to block the view of everybody living south of him.

It sounds like people had a view of the waterfront, then didn't after he had his way. If that isn't the fact, then I take it back.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Blistex posted:

It sounds like people had a view of the waterfront, then didn't after he had his way. If that isn't the fact, then I take it back.

Those berms have been there since the early 90's and I honestly have no idea what was there to begin with. It could have been clear-cut farmland like a lot of the surrounding area, or it could have been stands of trees. People have gotten used to the berm being there over the past 20 years so I doubt they care much anymore, but it was a big bone of contention in the community when it was put in. Back when the estate was built, it was worth literally 100x more than any property in the area so there was a lot of rich-guy hate as well. I guess it sucks to not be the inventor of a staple of modern architecture.

Link to the estate, if you're interested.

The place behind the berm looks like something out of Mario World, and the going rumor is Miley Cyrus bought the place a year ago.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

That berm looks 8-12 feet high on Google Street View. Came to see mega-berm. Disappointed by goon hyperbole.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The google street view cam is a giant fisheye lense mounted 8 feet in the air but whatever.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I took it to mean he built the berm to stop people from seeing his mansion. Seems rather modest for all the richguy hate going on, he could have built some ridiculous ostentatious wall all the way around.

If I built a place like that I'd do it on a wooded lot so I could simply leave the woods as my fence. Problem solved.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My house has less than energy-efficient windows.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

...on Tatooine, you'd be a millionaire?

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

If I ever build a huge berm/wall around my mansion, I'm going to cover it with mirrors. Then when my neighbors complain about the view, I can tell them to mow their lawns and lose some weight.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
It was surveyed! over a hundred years ago by men equipped only with a chain, compass, and a flask. . .

*edit* Found it, Derby Line error. Apparently a survey messed things up everywhere else in town, and the Library was later deliberately constructed that way, still a result of a spectacular survey error. :)

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 24, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The wikipedia page says that library was deliberately built on the border so that Canadians and Americans would have equal access to the books. Kind of :pseudo: but I don't think it was a surveying error.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

The wikipedia page says that library was deliberately built on the border so that Canadians and Americans would have equal access to the books. Kind of :pseudo: but I don't think it was a surveying error.
The original border was supposed to be on the 45th parallel. As a result of a crappy survey, the boundary line ended up being north of that - and so Derby Line was actually built on the Canadian side (as was an American fort nicknamed "Fort Blunder", with construction beginning in 1816 before being abandoned when a new survey revealed it was actually in Canada). Eventually a treaty between the British and the Americans actually shifted the border to the crappy survey line, which is at points 3/4 or so of a mile north of the 45th.

Here's a shot from Google Maps showing Derby Line, the current border, and where the actual 45th is:

Edit: the library was built well after the issue was settled by treaty, but its current location is definitely the result of a survey fuckup.

lonelywurm fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 25, 2013

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Crappy construction eh?
From my time in Afghanistan.

Pics may be :nms: if you don't like poop.
http://i.imgur.com/oE4Lu4y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CXWza7q.jpg?1[url]
http://i.imgur.com/KInQxrX.jpg[/url]

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Crappy construction eh?
From my time in Afghanistan.

Well, that's a third world shithole, alright.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I wonder how fat people use those squat toilets. If everyone was forced to switch it would probably solve the obesity problem overnight.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I always did wonder about theory vs. practice with squat toilets. You only ever see the clean ones.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I always did wonder about theory vs. practice with squat toilets. You only ever see the clean ones.

It was a little bit of a challenge (for me at least) in a world with pants and underwear. But the real problem comes when you mix squatting with sit toilets.

Not exactly crappy construction, but for some reason building management found it necessary to put these signs in every stall:

To get me back on topic of crappy construction, here is a hotel I stayed at in South America:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CopperHound posted:

It was a little bit of a challenge (for me at least) in a world with pants and underwear. But the real problem comes when you mix squatting with sit toilets.

Not exactly crappy construction, but for some reason building management found it necessary to put these signs in every stall:

To get me back on topic of crappy construction, here is a hotel I stayed at in South America:

My work gets a huge number of tourists from south east asia visiting and we have the issue of squat toilet vs porcelain throne. You see a huge number of footprints on the seats!

We put those signs up in every cubicle and within a week they had all been stolen.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ferremit posted:

We put those signs up in every cubicle and within a week they had all been stolen.

Sounds like you didn't attach them correctly. :v:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Long Francesco posted:

I wonder how fat people use those squat toilets. If everyone was forced to switch it would probably solve the obesity problem overnight.
They'd just poo poo on the floor and bitch about how you're inconveniencing them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, you should read some of the stories that the various goons who are nurses or doctors or paramedics post about helping their morbidly obese patients go to the bathroom. Let's just say it almost always involves at least one bucket and a large number of towels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
This is a shot of my kitchen, before we bought the house. Notice the lack of outlets along the kitchen counter. What you can't see in this pic, aside from that, obviously, is that, when you opened the cabinet, the switch for the garbage disposal was screwed into the cabinet, below the disposal, no box, no ground, no GFCI in sequence. The garbage disposal had a hole in the side patched with plumber's putty. When our contractor came in to install the outlets, he found that, directly behind the sink, there was a 7 foot tall window that was blocked with drywall on the outside, and aluminum siding on the outside.