Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Krad posted:

Now, why the scenes in KH2 Final Mix were also left unvoiced, I have no idea. Probably money that they didn't have back then.

Last page, but more like Disney wasn't going to pony up the English voice actors for a game that wasn't even going to get released in the English speaking world.

That loving Sned posted:

The difficulty curve was one of the only redeeming things about XIII. It actually felt tough, but never impossible. This was helped by the checkpoint system and how you would get your shroud back if you failed the battle you used it in. There should have been more ways to get them than just to get a terrible ranking in a battle, though.

More on topic, I agree with this wholeheartedly. I really loved 13 to be quite honest and this is the reason why. It's also why I'm apprehensive about giving 13-2 a try because of all I've heard about it being that much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

As sung by Toriyama.

Terper posted:

Also, this is most definitely the final boss theme.

Starts off good, peters out near the middle thanks to Cantus Genericus Latina. Also deducting points for incorporating parts from XIII's terrible final boss theme.

Blinded by Light X Crimson Blitz is pretty cool though, and some of the enviroment tracks are pretty nice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

There should have been more ways to get them than just to get a terrible ranking in a battle, though.

There's a shop that sells all of them except Ethersol, although it's only for the last part of the game meaning it's only really useful for the Missions. You can actually get Sols from any battle, lower stars just increase the drop rate. It's a pretty poo poo drop rate through. (12% at the start of the game, 8-6% for the following areas and then it bombs down to 1% territory.)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The music sounds really good so far, I just hope there are some tracks like Worlds Collide and Limit Break, combine the styles for the previous two soundtracks.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He just put a pretty wicked stache on Lightning.

Can you put shades on Lightning while wearing the stache? THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Krad posted:

Now, why the scenes in KH2 Final Mix were also left unvoiced, I have no idea. Probably money that they didn't have back then.

iirc if you watched the cutscenes in theatre mode, the Japanese versions had voice acting. They just don't play in the normal version of the game because they aren't in English. Otherwise, how the gently caress would anyone know who is talking during certain scenes?

I can't boot up my copy right now to check, unfortunately.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Scent of Worf posted:

I gave up on Final Fantasy XIII. I'm almost 30 hours in and hit a point where every fight takes incredibly long, even with a bunch of upgrades and whatnot. It felt like I spent 30 hours fighting the same few enemies hundreds of times. There was one cool boss fight and one fun section in the game (right after you get your 3rd party member) and that's it.

I actually feel kind of bad that I wasted 30 hours in that game.

Actually, it feels really bad.

If battles are taking a long time, then you might just be bad at fighting.

Shift more. Use SABs.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
There were only a few fights in XIII that really took a "long" time (as in more than 10 minutes) and they were all in the post-game hunt sections. If you were struggling to kill things before that, like others said, just switch paradigms more often, you don't need to slowly whittle down every enemy.

Not sure how I really feel about XIII-3 though. With the delay on FFX HD they're coming out within a month of each other so I don't know if I'll grab both.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ShadeofDante posted:

There were only a few fights in XIII that really took a "long" time (as in more than 10 minutes) and they were all in the post-game hunt sections. If you were struggling to kill things before that, like others said, just switch paradigms more often, you don't need to slowly whittle down every enemy.

Not sure how I really feel about XIII-3 though. With the delay on FFX HD they're coming out within a month of each other so I don't know if I'll grab both.

One of these features an awesome female protagonist who kicks rear end while traveling a world she had a hand in saving from a terrible, pre-ordained fate and the other has Lightning.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Barudak posted:

One of these features an awesome female protagonist who kicks rear end while traveling a world she had a hand in saving from a terrible, pre-ordained fate and the other has Lightning.

Oh, yeah. I didn't mean I'd be skipping X, that's easily my favorite FF game (Sorry VI). XIII-3 went from "oh I might pick it up if nothing else comes out around then" to "wait for a sale".

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

More on topic, I agree with this wholeheartedly. I really loved 13 to be quite honest and this is the reason why. It's also why I'm apprehensive about giving 13-2 a try because of all I've heard about it being that much easier.

You're absolutely right to think that. It doesn't matter that you can switch paradigms quicker in XIII-2, change leader, or that you have animal friends or whatever, nearly every battle is completely trivial and can be beaten in a few seconds without switching paradigms at all. The whole reason XIII was fun to play was the quick thinking you had to do in order to stagger the enemy and demolish its health bar while preventing your team from getting wiped.

Battles are just a nuisance, but you have to do them or else you're going to have trouble when you get to the final area and all the enemies are now capable of killing you easily. The only fun you'll have are with the boss battles, but most of them are locked behind DLC, and require you to be at ridiculous levels and have maxed out monsters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

You're absolutely right to think that. It doesn't matter that you can switch paradigms quicker in XIII-2, change leader, or that you have animal friends or whatever, nearly every battle is completely trivial and can be beaten in a few seconds without switching paradigms at all. The whole reason XIII was fun to play was the quick thinking you had to do in order to stagger the enemy and demolish its health bar while preventing your team from getting wiped.

Battles are just a nuisance, but you have to do them or else you're going to have trouble when you get to the final area and all the enemies are now capable of killing you easily. The only fun you'll have are with the boss battles, but most of them are locked behind DLC, and require you to be at ridiculous levels and have maxed out monsters.

Basically this, yeah. FFXIII-2 went way the opposite way. You have more freedom but way less reason to use that freedom and it really hurts the one fun aspect of FFXIII. I was fully prepared to enjoy FFXIII-2 despite knowing I would hate the story and character because, hey, more of the system but with refinements and you can make your Chocobo wear a hat! I ended up really disliking it all the way through.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

ImpAtom posted:

I think there are a couple fights the defensive shrouds are necessary for so that you can survive an attack or two that would otherwise oneshot a guy, but you might be able to do it without them if the enemy AI plays nice enough to let you buff before pushing your face in. The shrouds are the safer option.

These kinds of runs are always interesting. What do you mean buff? How can you buff your characters when you're "level 1" and have no abilities?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

I love X to pieces but Yuna really should have been the main protagonist. Tidus can still be there but as a side character. His role as MC is just too flimsy in my opinion and largely dependent upon the fact Auron is the Citan of the game.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

NikkolasKing posted:

I love X to pieces but Yuna really should have been the main protagonist. Tidus can still be there but as a side character. His role as MC is just too flimsy in my opinion and largely dependent upon the fact Auron is the Citan of the game.

Tidus makes sense because the whole point of Spira is that it needed an "outside" perspective for it to both change and for the story to be best presented to the player. You need Tidus to ask stupid questions and get the low-down on the rather intricate setting.

Spira was such a cool game world too. I mean, the whole of technology is literally based on harvesting dead peoples' soul memories. It's like necrotech. Necropunk! In Southeast Asia!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Not only does he lend an outsiders perspective he's plot critical for almost every characters motivations except Kimhari and Rikku but also several plot points of the game absolutely requires him and only him raising his importance to that of main character. Furthermore, he is a thematic lynchpin for the entire cult of death that the other characters are members of so he's not only plot wise the most important character he is also themewise the most important character.

FFX is the best mainline game haters can go find another story to be part of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

These kinds of runs are always interesting. What do you mean buff? How can you buff your characters when you're "level 1" and have no abilities?

Each character starts with certain abilities in each of their three paradigms which can be potentially very powerful. Fang is a big thing here because she starts with a really powerful Sentinel form and Slow in Saboteur. She's the key to a lot of why successful low-level runs can happen.

Sazh has Faith and Vanille has Deshell so you can increase both physical and magic damage to the enemies. This is pretty essential to dishing out good damage.

Hope has protect which lessens physical damage. The only way to get Shell is with a Sol. However you've got options for reducing magic damage like the Witch's Braclet which is a passive -15% damage from magic. It may not seem a lot but it can often be the difference between life and death.

Each character can cover a different element. Lightning is Thunder, Hope is Fire and Ice, and Vanille is Wind. (Snow can also cover Ice and Sazh can cover Fire.)

Beyond that it comes down to equipment and accessories. If you do a weapon/equipment upgrade run it's significantly easier simply because upgraded equipment can have a huge impact on character stats. No equipment upgrade runs are a lot tougher (for obvious reasons) and involve heavier use of Sols, a bit of luck with enemy attack patterns, and occasionally abusing the positioning so that certain characters are out of the range of AoE attacks.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 21, 2013

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

ImpAtom posted:

If every boss fight is taking incredibly with upgrades, you probably were not playing very well. FFXIII has a lot of flaws but fights only take forever if you're not paradigm shifting. It's possible to finish a lot of the toughest fights in the game quickly at "level 1" with minimum equipment, let alone with upgrades.

Boss fights weren't, just regular encounters. Either way you're probably right. That wasn't really the reason I quit though. The game just wasn't even remotely fun or interesting. The battle system was incredibly stale, the game never really stopped being one giant corridor except for that open plain with the giant turtles, the writing got even worse as the story went on, etc. Just a bad game.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Listening to the full Lightning Returns OST on Youtube. It's pretty incredible. First time I've heard free jazz in a jRPG.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 21, 2013

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
Is the tag line for FFXIII-3 really "dress up action game"? Is the dress up thing the most important part?
I haven't cared for XIII since the first game but I've seen this around a lot recently.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Went by a local Game store yesterday and they had copies of Final Fantasy V and VI for the Super Famicom, so I picked them up, with original manuals and boxes and everything.

I find it interesting that the manuals were made using such lovely capture software, but the FFV manual takes the cake in how it folds out like a map and details all the classes and their abilities.

Of course, I only picked them up as collectibles, but I have an old Super Magic Key or whatever it was called, which works to let me bypass the region lock.

Shouldn't give me troubles beating FFV, but I think I may need more practice with the English version of FFVI before I can beat that one.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nyagato posted:

Is the tag line for FFXIII-3 really "dress up action game"? Is the dress up thing the most important part?
I haven't cared for XIII since the first game but I've seen this around a lot recently.

It's like the people in charge are incompetent or something?

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Would you prefer "Lightning Bolt Fashion"?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Nyagato posted:

What's wrong with dress up action games? I really enjoyed Saints Row 2 and Resonance of Fate.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Renoistic posted:

What's wrong with dress up action games? I really enjoyed Saints Row 2 and Resonance of Fate.
Saints Row 2 was not about playing dress-up with your waifu.

it was about making a boss who looks like the host of Game Center CX and smoking blunts and tippin 40s until you threw up

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nyagato posted:

:darksouls: says yes.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LsC0rUR0To

This trailer wastes no time in giving you close-up shots of Lightning's tits. Also, you'd think in the time between the events of XIII, and the end of existence, some of the characters would have changed their clothes at least once. They made 80 outfits for Lightning, but Fang doesn't get one?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LsC0rUR0To

This trailer wastes no time in giving you close-up shots of Lightning's tits. Also, you'd think in the time between the events of XIII, and the end of existence, some of the characters would have changed their clothes at least once. They made 80 outfits for Lightning, but Fang doesn't get one?

I like the bit with her fighting the dragon, leaving after-images of her outfits - that's pretty interesting, visually.

What gets me is, like you said, they haven't changed their clothes (Snow aside), but they've given some extremely minor accessories - that chequered ascot for Hope, or that headdress for Vanille. Then they went, "Yep. That'll do." Like they couldn't be arsed to do a proper job.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

The fact they made a million new outfits for Lightning and just threw hat on everyone else is hilarious. I can imagine the character modelers trying to hint at Toriyama they should be working on other models too and "NO WE HAVE TO PUT HER IN A MAID OUTFIT NEXT!"

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Japanese Voice-Overs Available as an Optional Download

For the first two weeks of release, starting from February 14th, the Japanese language pack will be free to download.

This is a first for the series, since it's usually left out for file size reasons. Not only do the voice files take up some disc space (a problem for the 360 since it's limited to 7.8GB per disc), but FMVs are now lip-synced to the voice acting. Either they'll include new FMVs in the download, or just use the Japanese voices and have them de-sync horribly.

I'm not as big into Japanese voice-overs as I used to be, since I don't watch anime any more, and games tend to have decent enough voice acting in English that I'd rather see what's happening on-screen than focus on the text at the bottom. However, it's a nice option for people who want it. It would have been fun to try out the Metal Gear Solid games in Japanese in the HD collection, since I've been through them so many times before, but they probably couldn't fit both of them on to a 360 disc/Vita cart, and wanted to keep it on parity.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

That loving Sned posted:

This is a first for the series, since it's usually left out for file size reasons. Not only do the voice files take up some disc space (a problem for the 360 since it's limited to 7.8GB per disc), but FMVs are now lip-synced to the voice acting. Either they'll include new FMVs in the download, or just use the Japanese voices and have them de-sync horribly.
It says in the article that it changes the lip-syncing as well:

quote:

It includes lip-synching that differs from the English-language voice track already included with the game
I imagine that would apply to FMVs as well, but it would be funny if it didn't.

I'm still going to hold off until this game is like $20 (I'm just going through XIII-2 now), but at least you should be able to grab this language pack while it's free even if you don't have the game itself.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Armor-Piercing posted:

I'm still going to hold off until this game is like $20 (I'm just going through XIII-2 now), but at least you should be able to grab this language pack while it's free even if you don't have the game itself.

If it's like XIII-2 that'll only take like a month to six weeks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hm. The International Version of Star Ocean 4 had the choice to just switch between Japanese or English audio. Dunno why LR can't just include that feature on the disk too.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I love the poo poo out of FFXIII and XIII-2, but having an option to just switch off voices would be so much better. I'd buy the Chinese versions to have Japanese voices with english subtitles, so I'm totally willing to get the Japanese voices for LR:FFXIII.

Not that I think that the Japanese voice work is any better, but it's one of those things where if you can't understand what they're saying, it's harder to recognize bad acting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Japanese voice acting is legit better in FFXIII. I don't know about FFXIII-2 but I imagine it's the same. It's not like FFX where even though the voice acting is kinda cringeworthy in English it isn't better in Japanese.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The White Dragon posted:

Saints Row 2 was not about playing dress-up with your waifu.

it was about making a boss who looks like the host of Game Center CX and smoking blunts and tippin 40s until you threw up

It totally was don't act like people still don't get mad about 3 and 4 not being as dress up heavy.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Not that I think that the Japanese voice work is any better, but it's one of those things where if you can't understand what they're saying, it's harder to recognize bad acting.

The benefit of this is that you will not have to hear Ali Hillis do boring monotone because some idiot in SEoA's localization department said "Make her voice boring as gently caress."

On the other hand, no Troy Baker, a crime no one should ever commit.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I like the bit with her fighting the dragon, leaving after-images of her outfits - that's pretty interesting, visually.

What gets me is, like you said, they haven't changed their clothes (Snow aside), but they've given some extremely minor accessories - that chequered ascot for Hope, or that headdress for Vanille. Then they went, "Yep. That'll do." Like they couldn't be arsed to do a proper job.

Yeah that trailer was pretty cool, on the subject of the clothes stuff you could make the argument the storyline works in such a way that they don't really have to change anything on the other characters. That being said, I agree it is pretty lazy that the only characters who get significant changes are Lightning and Snow, especially since Hope changed completely in the last game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

The Japanese voice acting is legit better in FFXIII. I don't know about FFXIII-2 but I imagine it's the same. It's not like FFX where even though the voice acting is kinda cringeworthy in English it isn't better in Japanese.

Considering how important localisation is now days, you'd think they'd've put more effort into the vocal direction. It's not like they chose actors who couldn't deliver good performances.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Yeah that trailer was pretty cool, on the subject of the clothes stuff you could make the argument the storyline works in such a way that they don't really have to change anything on the other characters. That being said, I agree it is pretty lazy that the only characters who get significant changes are Lightning and Snow, especially since Hope changed completely in the last game.

Yeah, I guess. On that note, I wonder why they reverted Hope back to his younger-self, again. It's like they've gone, "Let's literally regress all the development we've done for this character."

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 22, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'd at least want to keep Sazh, Caius, Snow, and Fang in English, and Vanille I'd wager is probably at least slightly less embarrassing in English. Don't know what Noel's Japanese voice sounds like, but his English voice was bland and unremarkable, thus a perfect fit for Noel. I doubt it will be by character, though.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Considering how important localisation is now days, you'd think they'd've put more effort into the vocal direction. It's not like they chose actors who couldn't deliver good performances.

It really is a shame, yeah. From the interviews with Lightning's English voice actor she seemed like a very nice person who liked the character and wanted to do the best she could even with the rather awful crap she has to say and direction of "Never deviate more than half an octave from this single tone." Vanille's English voice actor I recall is a riot, too.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 22, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

chumbler posted:

It really is a shame, yeah. From the interviews with Lightning's English voice actor she seemed like a very nice person who liked the character and wanted to do the best she could even with the rather awful crap she has to say and direction of "Never deviate more than half an octave from this single tone." Vanille's English voice actor I recall is a riot, too.

She's pretty decent when she's not confined to the loving awful direction. She's been in quite a few things too.

Vanille's VA was hit the worst by FFXIII's vocal direction - she was asked to basically copy the Japanese performance, which is why Vanille does those insufferable anime grunts and "Ahhs!" and all that crap.

SE also made the cast of Dissidia copy the Japanese performances, which is why the majority of the sound like William Shatner, "Saying...every...line with frequent - pauses".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have no idea why S-E thought that was a good idea. Not even the most anime or anime developers try to do that poo poo. Persona 4 got a good direction out of its cast while keeping in honorifics and poo poo just because they knew better than to do that. Nippon-Ichi games have low budget voice acting but they at least allow the actors to do their own low-budget acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

She's pretty decent when she's not confined to the loving awful direction. She's been in quite a few things too.

Vanille's VA was hit the worst by FFXIII's vocal direction - she was asked to basically copy the Japanese performance, which is why Vanille does those insufferable anime grunts and "Ahhs!" and all that crap.

SE also made the cast of Dissidia copy the Japanese performances, which is why the majority of the sound like William Shatner, "Saying...every...line with frequent - pauses".

Huh. I didn't realize that she was Palutena, though I can definitely hear it now. Now that was a game with some good voice direction (which is to say probably none at all) and a fun script. Sometimes the best move is hamming it up as much as possible.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 22, 2013