Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT
Jericho on Twitter today:

quote:

Excited to announce the debut of my podcast #TalkIsJericho this Thursday on http://podcastone.com featuring my guest @steveaustinBSR!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

I have decided not to edit anything on this podcast this week!!! I hope you all will enjoy.

THE 10 COUNT - MAVEN & RAVEN VS. CHRIS BENOIT & CHRIS JERICHO

The Topics!

01.) WWE Monday Night RAW!!!
02.) Booyaka Booyaka
03.) Guest Hosts are Back. How much does this annoy you?
04.) WWE Survivor Series Predictions!
05.) From NienNunb: What terrible wrestlers/angles can you not help but remember fondly due to nostalgia?
06.) Johnny Gargano has held the DGUSA Title for 2 years now!!! Let's talk about the problems of Gabe promotions and why we don't watch DGUSA!!!
07.) Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards are getting yet ANOTHER tryout. Will these 2 ever be signed? If so, do they ever get called up?
08.) Wrestler of the Week: Rikishi??? MAVEN??? RAVEN???
09.) From achillesforever6: What dumb gimmicks/storylines did you guys come up with when you were younger?
10.) From Big Coffin Hunter: What are some angles that seemed to start terribly or just not be a good idea, but wound up winning you over?

Wow 1 hour and 40 minutes huh? That's cute.

Oh and I don't know if its a problem with your mic or just the audio levels when you record but Hulkamatt any time you pronounce an S it clips really bad and sounds very harsh.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 19, 2013

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

oatgan posted:

Wow 2 hours and 40 minutes huh? That's cute.

Quoting to make fun

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Frilled Lizard posted:

Jericho on Twitter today:

Oh man, that's gonna be so froot

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The Shaman of Cum posted:

Quoting to make fun

dang i thought i edited that in time

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

oatgan posted:

Oh and I don't know if its a problem with your mic or just the audio levels when you record but Hulkamatt any time you pronounce an S it clips really bad and sounds very harsh.

Aaaugh I try hard to work on that. Will do better next time.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
For the two people who only listen through iTunes (me and...I assume there's someone else), I'll have it up there tonight, probably by 9.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

As far as I know, AEPodcast guys are doing it themselves. Bear in mind how much work Jay does just to get OSWReview out, so it wouldn't be great if he had to do two.

Anyway, New episode of AEPodcast, Backlash 1999. The last only-audio episode.

You NEED to listen to this, if only for Kevin having a mid-podcast breakdown about the word "puppies".

Holy poo poo Kevin just unhinges there for a minute

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ch3cooh posted:

Holy poo poo Kevin just unhinges there for a minute

I loving lost it at that point. "ONE MATCH? TWO loving YEARS. YOU A DOG MAN, BILLY? YOU ARE NOW."

Adam loses it later in the episode when Kevin narrates an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark using his (frankly amazing) Vince Russo impression.

To be fair, it's not the first time he's expressed that opinion. They done an interview where they were asked "If you could remove one thing from wrestling history, what would it be?" and Kevin INSTANTLY answered "puppies".

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 19, 2013

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Apparently Big Dave is going to be on Stone Cold's show in the near future.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Bard Maddox posted:

I never knew this was a thing I wanted so desperately, until just now

I can't even imagine Stone Cold and Dave Meltzer interacting.

Edit: Or do you mean Batista :colbert:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

I never knew this was a thing I wanted so desperately, until just now

Edit: Or do you mean Batista :colbert:

I'd take either, but this is an important distinction

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

it's meltzer, and SCSA has been on observer radio before

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

I loving lost it at that point. "ONE MATCH? TWO loving YEARS. YOU A DOG MAN, BILLY? YOU ARE NOW."

Adam loses it later in the episode when Kevin narrates an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark using his (frankly amazing) Vince Russo impression.

To be fair, it's not the first time he's expressed that opinion. They done an interview where they were asked "If you could remove one thing from wrestling history, what would it be?" and Kevin INSTANTLY answered "puppies".

Honestly, it's not a bad candidate. I had a strong dislike of Lawler for a long time because of that poo poo, thankfully he's stopped doing it.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Bard Maddox posted:

Enshrining the idea that the only way to get Meltzer in the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame is voting in Wade Keller first.

triplexpac posted:

Meltzer & Austin's actual relationship is somewhat of a mystery to me too despite both being very close friends with Brian Pillman. Dave always has the story of Austin & Pillman ringing him after the Hollywood Blonds vs Flair/Arn Clash match for the overnight rating and being crushed on Dave's rotation of stories.

Dave is besties with the Rock too obviously.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

The Shaman of Cum posted:

it's meltzer, and SCSA has been on observer radio before

Yeah that's right, I forgot about that. I dunno though, I feel like Austin's podcast is a bit more personal, whereas Observer Radio isn't as much "shootin the poo poo about whatever comes up"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's a good thing no one listens to PSP otherwise I would be embarrassed today.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

triplexpac posted:

Yeah that's right, I forgot about that. I dunno though, I feel like Austin's podcast is a bit more personal, whereas Observer Radio isn't as much "shootin the poo poo about whatever comes up"

I completely know what you mean but Dave is a bit more freewheeling on non-Alvarez/LAW podcasts.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

The Goog posted:

For the two people who only listen through iTunes (me and...I assume there's someone else), I'll have it up there tonight, probably by 9.

That would be me, and I'ma just keep refreshing until I see it, Mister :colbert:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

VogeGandire posted:

Anyway, New episode of AEPodcast, Backlash 1999. The last only-audio episode.

You NEED to listen to this, if only for Kevin having a mid-podcast breakdown about the word "puppies".

Hearing a modern rendition of "Hoe" made my day and running a train on a hoe is 3 or more dudes loving after each other.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

HulkaMatt posted:

I have decided not to edit anything on this podcast this week!!! I hope you all will enjoy.

THE 10 COUNT - MAVEN & RAVEN VS. CHRIS BENOIT & CHRIS JERICHO

The Topics!

06.) Johnny Gargano has held the DGUSA Title for 2 years now!!! Let's talk about the problems of Gabe promotions and why we don't watch DGUSA!!!

I downloaded and listened to this podcast for the first time because I was curious to hear why the most consistently good indie promotions in the US alongside PWG (DGUSA/EVOLVE) have more or less negative interest around here. But I don't feel like I got an answer. Everyone on the podcast basically said "pretty much every match on every DGUSA show sounds like it'd be a good match on paper...and then I don't watch it." The card of the most recent show was used as an example: in most cases everyone said "yeah, that'll be good" and then you all concluded with "and I don't care."

This only confuses me more. The reason we spend money to watch wrestling, particularly indy wrestling, is in order to see good matches isn't it? I never saw "lack of direction" as a reason to not watch independent wrestling. Chikara aside, indy wrestling booking is done on a "each show is stand alone" basis. Even PWG has zero direction other than "let's put on good wrestling matches," so why is one beloved and the other met with general apathy bordering on disdain when the roster overlap is quite high? It'd make far more sense if people hated DGUSA/EVOLVE along with PWG.

Then again, I can't wrap my head around why most people by and large are so uninterested in Dragon Gate Japan, so I'm probably just woefully out of touch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Daryl Surat posted:

I downloaded and listened to this podcast for the first time because I was curious to hear why the most consistently good indie promotions in the US alongside PWG (DGUSA/EVOLVE) have more or less negative interest around here. But I don't feel like I got an answer. Everyone on the podcast basically said "pretty much every match on every DGUSA show sounds like it'd be a good match on paper...and then I don't watch it." The card of the most recent show was used as an example: in most cases everyone said "yeah, that'll be good" and then you all concluded with "and I don't care."

This only confuses me more. The reason we spend money to watch wrestling, particularly indy wrestling, is in order to see good matches isn't it? I never saw "lack of direction" as a reason to not watch independent wrestling. Chikara aside, indy wrestling booking is done on a "each show is stand alone" basis. Even PWG has zero direction other than "let's put on good wrestling matches," so why is one beloved and the other met with general apathy bordering on disdain when the roster overlap is quite high? It'd make far more sense if people hated DGUSA/EVOLVE along with PWG.

Then again, I can't wrap my head around why most people by and large are so uninterested in Dragon Gate Japan, so I'm probably just woefully out of touch.

That's not what I said, I said I don't care about the indie wrestlers in DGUSA and the shows aren't for me and don't like guys like AR Fox or Jon Davis at all. PWG on the other hand is mostly guys I like and some DGUSA wrestlers like Taylor and Gargano who won't turn me off.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

MassRafTer posted:

That's not what I said, I said I don't care about the indie wrestlers in DGUSA and the shows aren't for me and don't like guys like AR Fox or Jon Davis at all. PWG on the other hand is mostly guys I like and some DGUSA wrestlers like Taylor and Gargano who won't turn me off.

Hmm, I guess that's fair enough. I'm not sure if the second sentence of that was actually clarified on the show. Still, about one third of PWG's roster works DGUSA/EVOLVE as well. For the example used on the show: the last DGUSA show had 9 matches. 6 of them involved PWG people. That's a big overlap, isn't it? Seems like pretty solid "if you like one, you'll like the other" logic, even if a guy you don't like is curtain jerking and another guy you don't like is in a 4-way.

oatgan posted:

It's not a question of talent for me, I can't really justify spending any more money or time on wrestling than I already do so unless DG or EVOLVE is legitimately the best promotion in the world I don't have time for it.

This answer is acceptable, since it's the reason I give for not watching Raw or Impact. What I don't understand is how one can use that logic while still watching Raw and Impact.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 20, 2013

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

It's not a question of talent for me, I can't really justify spending any more money or time on wrestling than I already do so unless DG or EVOLVE is legitimately the best promotion in the world I don't have time for it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Daryl Surat posted:

Hmm, I guess that's fair enough. I'm not sure if the second sentence of that was actually clarified on the show. Still, about one third of PWG's roster works DGUSA/EVOLVE as well. For the example used on the show: the last DGUSA show had 9 matches. 6 of them involved PWG people. That's a big overlap, isn't it? Seems like pretty solid "if you like one, you'll like the other" logic, even if a guy you don't like is curtain jerking and another guy you don't like is in a 4-way.

This answer is acceptable, since it's the reason I give for not watching Raw or Impact. What I don't understand is how one can use that logic while still watching Raw and Impact.

The wrestlers I want to watch in PWG are mostly guys in ROH or guys like Willie Mack, and also the Young Bucks who I am only interested in seeing in PWG. The Gabe booked guys tend to fill lower card spots, and when Gargano and Taylor are in big matches I care less about the PWG card. I also think the storylines PWG does have are more interesting than what I'd see from Gabe these days.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

The wrestlers I want to watch in PWG are mostly guys in ROH or guys like Willie Mack, and also the Young Bucks who I am only interested in seeing in PWG. The Gabe booked guys tend to fill lower card spots, and when Gargano and Taylor are in big matches I care less about the PWG card. I also think the storylines PWG does have are more interesting than what I'd see from Gabe these days.

What are the current storylines in PWG, anyway? I get that their matches are great, but the last longterm storyline I recall from them was back when Human Tornado was still around.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The only real storyline going is that Adam Cole and the Young bucks were shockingly joined by Kevin Steen, who was bitter about the way people still cheer for El Generico even though he's gone and he couldn't beat Cole, so he decided to stick it to the crowd by helping him keep his belt(Cole is the PWG champ). They're called Mount Rushmore.

They don't do storylines all that often, I suspect for logistic reasons as well as not wanting to deal with people leaving mid-story because WWE or TNA scooped 'em up.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I would probably watch Gabe's stuff more if it took less than a year to come out on DVD. Mostly it's just a matter of me getting to see those people elsewhere.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
My reason for not watching Dragon Gate USA is because I never hear anything about it. Last big news I have ever heard from it was that Chris Hero made his Indy return on it against Gargano, but thats because everyone is following the Chris Hero news. What I know of DGUSA's roster and stables are probably old as hell because last I knew was that there was World 1 International, Blood Warriors, Mad Blankey, Dirty Ugly Fucks and thats just because of their PWG appearances and CAWs in video games. I didn't even know Gargano was their World Champion for 2 years now, I don't even know who their other champions are.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
I recently found OSW podcast and been listening to them and was wondering.. are they still recording new episodes? The newest one i can get is episode 32 ?

Is there similar show covering mma shows??

And also i love sherdogs ufc look backs on earlier ufcs.. has anybody made something similar with older Pride shows??

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

In addition to the reasons others have mentioned, one aspect of DGUSA that's turned me off the couple times I've seen it is the dead crowds in comparison to other notable indies.

ROH is hardly at it's best but they regularly tour my area and are easily accessible thanks to a weekly show. PWG has super hot crowds, never produces a bad show and they bring virtually all the top DGUSA guys.

WWE has some of the best wrestlers in the world, generally manages to pull of least one worthwhile angle at a time and it's at least fun to whine about the the stuff I don't like. I also have nothing better to do on a Monday night.

NJPW easily has the overall best wrestling product in the world right now IMO.

I just can't find any real reason to DGUSA or Evolve a serious try. If I had the time to watch another promotion it'd problaby be regular Dragon Gate now that they run iPPVs and more of their stuff in general is leaking over.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

MassRafTer posted:

Also I thought I pointed out how directionless I felt the entire product was. They just feel like they're coasting.

Also wow that's a lot more downloads than usual, I kind of wish I edited it to sound better or something.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Editing was sufficient. No Goog.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

apologizing in advance for the next show whenever it goes up

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Editing was sufficient. No Goog.

Words hurt.

Also the iTunes feed has been updated. Hooray!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TheCool69 posted:

I recently found OSW podcast and been listening to them and was wondering.. are they still recording new episodes? The newest one i can get is episode 32 ?

They had to take a break for a while, because all 3 guys were busy, but they have a new episode coming out soon (Next week or so).

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

oatgan posted:

apologizing in advance for the next show whenever it goes up

There you have it folks. The PSPcast is SO BAD that hosts of other podcasts are forced to apologize in advance of next week's episode.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I loving love MMAven.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.
Something I feel is important to note; Attitude Era Podcast (the one everyone actually enjoys) isn't the one that's going to video podcasts. That would be the inferior Attitude Era Review, which is the one OSW Review retweets more often. Yes, there's two Attitude Era podcasts, and they vary greatly in quality. Apparently there's also one that's been doing WCW PPV reviews, but I can't find it at the moment.

The goons who are watching these weekly TNA PPVs should do one of these. I'd listen to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

thatguyclint posted:

Something I feel is important to note; Attitude Era Podcast (the one everyone actually enjoys) isn't the one that's going to video podcasts. That would be the inferior Attitude Era Review, which is the one OSW Review retweets more often. Yes, there's two Attitude Era podcasts, and they vary greatly in quality. Apparently there's also one that's been doing WCW PPV reviews, but I can't find it at the moment.

Gah, you're right. drat it.

Because, yeah, Attitude Era Review isn't nearly as good.

I've not heard of the WCW one at all. Are you sure you're not just mixing them up with OSWReview, since their next episode is an episode of Thunder then Starrcade 2000?

• Locked thread