Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sereri posted:

What Android version are you on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

nimper posted:

Android 4.3,

Geirskogul posted:

Samsung Epic 4G, Cyanogenmod to 4.3, latest Awful beta.

Hadlock posted:

Nexus S/CM 10.2,

I'm seeing a pattern here.

Well, it looks alright on my 4.3 emulator and the GNex I just borrowed.

Would one of you be comfortable with sending me a config export? They should be readable so look inside, but please don't edit anything.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Sereri posted:

Would one of you be comfortable with sending me a config export? They should be readable so look inside, but please don't edit anything.

edit: PM'd instead of posting here

nimper fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 18, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

nimper posted:

edit: PM'd instead of posting here

Looks pretty much like the standard config apart from the wifi-images.

Is this something that happens in every thread or just some? Does it happen after a while or can it happen immediately?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For me it can happen immediately, or randomly 20 minutes in. I want to say I notice it more at work during my lunch hour where I have to connect to an ATTWIFI hotspot, but that's probably because I end up using it more at work because at home I use the computer.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Geirskogul posted:

For me it can happen immediately, or randomly 20 minutes in. I want to say I notice it more at work during my lunch hour where I have to connect to an ATTWIFI hotspot, but that's probably because I end up using it more at work because at home I use the computer.

So if you reload a page it's usually gone?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Sereri posted:

Looks pretty much like the standard config apart from the wifi-images.

Is this something that happens in every thread or just some? Does it happen after a while or can it happen immediately?

It's completely random, really. Sometimes it will happen with every thread and sometimes not at all.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

nimper posted:

It's completely random, really. Sometimes it will happen with every thread and sometimes not at all.

Can you enable gifs for a day and see if that works?

Alternatively, does clearing the cache have any effect?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Sereri posted:

Can you enable gifs for a day and see if that works?
Sure no prob....

uh...

quote:

Alternatively, does clearing the cache have any effect?

I haven't seen any problems yet but I'll give it a while.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sereri posted:

So if you reload a page it's usually gone?

It's persistent across same-page reloads, but if I back out of that thread, go into a different thread, then to back to the original one with the problem, it is either gone or has moved to hover over a different post.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've only experienced it once so far in probably 2-3 hrs of use. It was on the top left side. I can't be specific but I think an animated GIF from the KSP thread of Abyssal Lurker's triggered it when I went forward one page. Or I could be completely making things up :iiam:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Just wanna say thanks for working on the app. It's still the bomb, and much better off than where it was just 6 months ago.

As for the bug, that was the first and only time I saw it. I'm pretty sure I went back to that page a little while after and the black spots were gone.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

Well, it looks alright on my 4.3 emulator and the GNex I just borrowed.

I haven't had this happen on my GNex (stock 4.3 and all that, market version of Awful) but I have sometimes noticed a black horizontal bar across the dark grey background (dark theme) while the page is loading. Just a temporary glitch and it doesn't stick around, but seems like something is going on in there in the background

FIGHTING-MAN
Sep 24, 2012

Can also confirm weird black box issue...seems to only occur in certain threads. For example, hasn't happened in here, but happens in PYF:awk/ug on the regular. Possibly embeded images-related?

CM 4.3

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I just noticed that it happened when I task switched to a different app, and then said switched back to awful app. There was one of those black boxes when there were none before. Pretty sure the page didn't reload during that time either.

E: it wasn't even an app really, I just used the task switcher to go into android settings for a few seconds and then switched back.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sometimes when the thread view slides over I see avatars floating in space for a split second, so that might be connected. I just saw the stupid newbie one doing it so it's possibly gif related?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Funny you should say that.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if that's the Loading Failed popup thing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

anthonypants posted:

I wonder if that's the Loading Failed popup thing.

I think that's just a Toast, they're drawn separately by the OS

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

baka kaba posted:

I think that's just a Toast, they're drawn separately by the OS

I've never seen a toast that looks like the loading failed one in this app. It's a full popup complete with graphic. I don't think it's a traditional toast.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You can style them up, like this
http://chrisrisner.com/31-Days-of-Android--Day-15%E2%80%93Toasts
(at the bottom)

It always makes me think :frogbon: should be next to all the info toasts

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 21, 2013

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Quick question about something I probably missed by not following the thread closely. Avatars are only showing 1/4 until I click to see av text and other options. I'm on a stock Nexus 4 running 4.4, and whatever the latest market version of the app is. Also using spanky's dark theme. No big deal, just wondering if that's working as designed.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

RVProfootballer posted:

Quick question about something I probably missed by not following the thread closely. Avatars are only showing 1/4 until I click to see av text and other options. I'm on a stock Nexus 4 running 4.4, and whatever the latest market version of the app is. Also using spanky's dark theme. No big deal, just wondering if that's working as designed.

You scared me there for a second. This is because the latest gif disabling change required modifications of the HTML regarding the avatars. This breaks custom CSS files a bit. I'm using awful right now so I can't look things up for you but I gave instructions a page or 2 back.

Have any of you tried whether enabling gifs resolves the black box problem?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It does not. I've had the black box problem since before the gif placeholders, too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sereri posted:

You scared me there for a second. This is because the latest gif disabling change required modifications of the HTML regarding the avatars. This breaks custom CSS files a bit. I'm using awful right now so I can't look things up for you but I gave instructions a page or 2 back.

Thanks, and it isn't a big deal so I don't know that I'll bother fixing it. Just thought I should mention it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Sereri posted:

Enabling gifs seems to make it worse, actually.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Geirskogul posted:

It does not. I've had the black box problem since before the gif placeholders, too.

Ah sorry, I only saw those reports pop up during the latest beta which more or less only brought the gif changes.
Still I wonder why I'm not getting more of these reports.

Have you guys made any modifications to rendering in any form? Switched stuff in the developer options? Modifications with apps like CPU freq changes?

I can't seem to recreate this at all.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Sereri posted:

Ah sorry, I only saw those reports pop up during the latest beta which more or less only brought the gif changes.
Still I wonder why I'm not getting more of these reports.

Have you guys made any modifications to rendering in any form? Switched stuff in the developer options? Modifications with apps like CPU freq changes?

I can't seem to recreate this at all.

Nope, everything is completely stock. Happens on both the "dark" theme and the default theme.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just flushed memory, uninstalled, and reinstalled, and I've had it happen twice since, with gifs disabled and stock theme.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
I'm on a Nexus 5, unrooted, completely stock, and everything runs fine for me with regards to Awful. None of the problems in this thread have found me.

The only thing I've done is set the font to 12pt, disabled YouTube embedded videos, enabled gifs, and I'm running Dalvik, although I encountered no problems running the app under ART as well.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Dradien posted:

I'm on a Nexus 5, unrooted, completely stock, and everything runs fine for me with regards to Awful. None of the problems in this thread have found me.

The only thing I've done is set the font to 12pt, disabled YouTube embedded videos, enabled gifs, and I'm running Dalvik, although I encountered no problems running the app under ART as well.

Looks like the only thing that everyone reporting the bug has in common is Android 4.3. Since you're on 4.4 you probably won't see anything wrong.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nimper posted:

Looks like the only thing that everyone reporting the bug has in common is Android 4.3. Since you're on 4.4 you probably won't see anything wrong.

Since my Nexus 5 arrived (with 4.4) I haven't had the issue

Eagerly awaiting "immersive mode" to regain the 144 pixels across the bottom

Also inclusion of hadlock.is.a.big.babby.css classic dark mode

Mo' phones mo' problems

FIGHTING-MAN
Sep 24, 2012

Regarding the black boxes, has anyone else noticed they close or move when you touch them? Cause they do for me...reminds me of an inline image'y thing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just noticed that if I trigger the pull-to-refresh and then go in the opposite direction of I can get the refresh animation at the top to trigger, although the page won't refresh in this case (after moving my finger down).

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
If the app gets background closed while viewing a Read Posts By User, when it restores it'll show the same page of just that user's posts (with correct page XX/YY), but the reminder bar at the top will be gone, pressing Back will back you out of the thread entirely, selecting a new page (via page jump or back/forward) will go to the corresponding page X in the unfiltered thread. Essentially, it remembers the posts on the displayed page but forgets that it was filtering down to a single users' posts.

E: Why would I do such a strange thing, you ask, as view a single users' posts for an extended period? I've been browsing a couple of users' long-spanning story arcs in the IT bitching threads. Midelne, for example, has 27 pages to his name in the old helpdesk tickets thread.

keseph fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 24, 2013

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I don't have any complaints or thoughts I just wanted to say great job on this app man, it's saved me from killing myself out of boredom on numerous occasions now. :)

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

awful.apk saves lives

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The next version will have a permanent button in the settings menu that automatically calls the suicide hotline when you press it. You're welcome.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Then posts a transcript to e/n.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Trip report from 2.3.31 on Nexus 10 running 4.4: everything still seemingly works, but the lag while scrolling seems to be gone. I assume this is thanks to the new webview :)