Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

A bit in the grooves, yes.

In that case, I would take a picture of the LP in its current state and then try to scratch off the glue (GENTLY) with my nail. Then I would try to clean off the residue with rubbing alcohol and water. A lot of the time, that shmutz will just pop right off with no issue.

If there's still residue left and/or it affects the playback, then I'd take a post-cleaning attempt photo and take it up with the label. The reason I suggest taking a picture before cleaning it is because you could scratch off the top layer of glue and leave stuff in the grooves that another picture might not catch.

I would send both in an email explaining the situation and what you tried.

Or you could just send them the first pic and not try cleaning it, but I usually find DIYing for a few minutes easier than going to customer service.

Dr. Lenin posted:

Amber colored Jurassic Park OST? I hope so.

gently caress. Looks like I'mma have to buy a Mondo release now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I hope it's the soundtrack to Jurassic Park III just to gently caress with people and still watch it sell out.

e: "12. Piss Covered Boy (Reprise)"

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I knew I put that poster there for a reason.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kaboobi posted:

I knew I put that poster there for a reason.

Your setup here is like a bizarro red version of my own and it's freaking me out. White Stripes tote bag, 7" shoe box type holder and everything.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

look at how big of a fan I am

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Your setup here is like a bizarro red version of my own and it's freaking me out. White Stripes tote bag, 7" shoe box type holder and everything.

Well we're clearly both intelligent and handsome people with great taste in music.

Also I really like Jurassic Park. And David Bowie.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kaboobi posted:

Well we're clearly both intelligent and handsome people with great taste in music.

We should have a cigar some day.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

WASDF posted:

look at how big of a fan I am

I don't know what that is. The edge of two boxes?

I refuse to buy NLDW because of the whole dick thing.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Me in Reverse posted:

Got something 'gainst dicks, my man?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Me in Reverse posted:

If you bought it you would finally have a dick that you can display in pride.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

In that case, I would take a picture of the LP in its current state and then try to scratch off the glue (GENTLY) with my nail. Then I would try to clean off the residue with rubbing alcohol and water. A lot of the time, that shmutz will just pop right off with no issue.

If there's still residue left and/or it affects the playback, then I'd take a post-cleaning attempt photo and take it up with the label. The reason I suggest taking a picture before cleaning it is because you could scratch off the top layer of glue and leave stuff in the grooves that another picture might not catch.

I would send both in an email explaining the situation and what you tried.

Or you could just send them the first pic and not try cleaning it, but I usually find DIYing for a few minutes easier than going to customer service.

gently caress. Looks like I'mma have to buy a Mondo release now.

Worked perfectly. Thank you so much.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

WASDF posted:

This would be a better Death Waltz release, both in pressing, but also cover.

This is what I say every time Mondo does a soundtrack. I really wish they wouldn't keep getting the rights to all this cool poo poo so a real loving label can handle it.

Kaboobi posted:

I like you.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

This is what I say every time Mondo does a soundtrack. I really wish they wouldn't keep getting the rights to all this cool poo poo so a real loving label can handle it.

I wish I could find a The Beyond soundtrack LP that wasn't like 300 bucks.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I wish I could find a The Beyond soundtrack LP that wasn't like 300 bucks.

That's a gross exaggeration of how much that record goes for. Divide by 6 and you're in the right neighborhood.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

chime_on posted:

That's a gross exaggeration of how much that record goes for. Divide by 6 and you're in the right neighborhood.

Any single LP over 35 bucks might as well be 300 bucks because I ain't buyin' it.

Most of the time I see it goin' for a hundo at least though.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 22, 2013

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I received my Oldies order (three LPs in one record mailer) without any trouble or damage. They ran out of Bomb the Music Industry when it said they had a few left when I placed the order, so who knows what will/won't show up for your orders.

Overall pleased though. The Maserati jacket is pretty slick with its embossing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Any single LP over 35 bucks might as well be 300 bucks because I ain't buyin' it.

That just means you don't want it enough.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Just curious- does it sound significantly better than the Capitol repress you can find in most record stores, or is it just mainly sought after for collector cred? To be fair, at $28, it's not much more expensive than what a new Capitol goes for at many record stores.

Radiohead's her favorite band so I'm not sure sound was much of a factor, and neither of us own the Capitol version so I'm not sure I can help with a comparison, but I would if I could.

Jurassic Park will be nice. I had the CD as a kid and it really stuck with me. Now it seems to resonate as one of Williams' best scores. "Nedry Steals the Embryos" FTW.

Also, picked up my copy of Waxworks' Day of the Dead OST and couldn't be happier with it. Anyone happen to snag one of the "flesh & blood" variants?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You can use those blunt-ended toothpicks and soak the end in rubbing alcohol for a bit to soften some to do this and it's saferish. The softened wood will deform slightly and soak a little alcohol into the grooves so when you rub it *with* the grooves it'll ride along much better than a fingernail. I've used it to fix skips, soften ticks, and last removed a couple of really nasty glue spots on my copy of SF Sorrow.

You can go kind of crazy with it too, as long as you keep the toothpick soaked, since there's much less chance of accidental damage.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

That just means you don't want it enough.

Pretty much, yeah.

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

JehovahsWetness posted:

You can use those blunt-ended toothpicks and soak the end in rubbing alcohol for a bit to soften some to do this and it's saferish. The softened wood will deform slightly and soak a little alcohol into the grooves so when you rub it *with* the grooves it'll ride along much better than a fingernail. I've used it to fix skips, soften ticks, and last removed a couple of really nasty glue spots on my copy of SF Sorrow.

You can go kind of crazy with it too, as long as you keep the toothpick soaked, since there's much less chance of accidental damage.

drat this is pretty smart. Thanks for the tip!

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Schremp Howard posted:

I received my Oldies order (three LPs in one record mailer) without any trouble or damage. They ran out of Bomb the Music Industry when it said they had a few left when I placed the order, so who knows what will/won't show up for your orders.

Yeah same deal with me. Mailer came in great shape, records are in great shape, BUT apparently they were already sold out of the Burst and Bloom EP and neglected to mention that at the time. So that's a bummer, because that's the one I was looking forward to the most, but oh well.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
A friend mentioned Rubber Soul on facebook, and I was looking up the cover again, and this picture popped up. I just like the idea that even one of the biggest bands with huge pressing numbers had old ladies packaging the records. I know there are MANY different pressings of their records, and this could be a much smaller run, but still a nice photo. I assume most new large scale pressings are fully automated.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Everybody in that photo is dead.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

And probably for several decades.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Paul is kinda in that photo and he's not dead.

...OR IS HE?!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

And probably for several decades.

:unsmigghh:

Also, while we're on the subject of oldies- my shipment arrived and everything's cool, except that they were out of two albums which didn't ship. I'm not too broken up about them, to be honest- but I'm not sure if they plan to send them later if/when they show up in stock or what. The slip seemed kind of vague and I'd rather not be charged another $18 out of the blue.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also, while we're on the subject of oldies- my shipment arrived and everything's cool, except that they were out of two albums which didn't ship. I'm not too broken up about them, to be honest- but I'm not sure if they plan to send them later if/when they show up in stock or what. The slip seemed kind of vague and I'd rather not be charged another $18 out of the blue.

I was equally confused last night about mine, since all the items I ordered were on there, and it sort of makes it sound like the missing item was backordered. But then this morning I got a refund for the missing one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I was equally confused last night about mine, since all the items I ordered were on there, and it sort of makes it sound like the missing item was backordered. But then this morning I got a refund for the missing one.

It seems like I just wasn't billed for my missing stuff.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

CPL593H posted:

I like you.

Thanks babe ;-*

I just ordered a couple of Ensiferum albums from Blood Music and I don't know if I can wait until February for them to be pressed and shipped out :ohdear:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is probably old news to many, but I just learned that Rough Trade is opening a New York location this Monday. And I have the day off :toot:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/22/arts/music/records-are-dying-not-here.html

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Doctor Cave posted:

Don't be, it's unplayable. I'm a member of the Joyful Noise flexi club and have no problems playing any of them. The snow flexi though, I just could not get that to work.

Cosmic Horror posted:

I wouldn't call it unplayable. You just had to use coins to hold down each of the snowflake arms.

I've only listened to it like once.

These two posts have done wonders to console me (really). Either way:

The XX on Facebook posted:

We are all such big fans of vinyl and collecting records.
We have created some limited edition vinyl box sets of our two albums 'xx' and 'Coexist', each one contains the 11 songs as individual 7" as well as the individual artwork and our logo etched on the b side. They are limited to 1000 each album. This is something we have been wanting to do for a long time, we hope you like them! xx The xx

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I've been wanting that box set since they started advertising it, before Coexist even came out. Here, XX: :10bux::10bux::10bux:

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

The XX is sooo boring

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

This probably isn't all that special or anything, but damnit I saw it at my local record store for five bucks and just had to grab it:

Plus listening to it reminded me of just how drat good this soundtrack is. You always associate the opening theme and Imperial March, but the other stuff on there is just top loving notch. Some of the track names are mildly amusing for being slightly "off," like Mouse Robot and Blasting Off.

They also had the story disc release of the original Star Wars for five dollars, and a more expensive picture disc version for about $25. I might pick one of them up on a return trip.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

This probably isn't all that special or anything, but damnit I saw it at my local record store for five bucks and just had to grab it:

Plus listening to it reminded me of just how drat good this soundtrack is. You always associate the opening theme and Imperial March, but the other stuff on there is just top loving notch. Some of the track names are mildly amusing for being slightly "off," like Mouse Robot and Blasting Off.

They also had the story disc release of the original Star Wars for five dollars, and a more expensive picture disc version for about $25. I might pick one of them up on a return trip.

This is a good buy. Also, picture discs are garbage. Don't waste your money.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

WASDF posted:

The XX is sooo boring

That box set looks cool, but The XX has never done anything for me, either. All they do is put me in the mood for some Young Marble Giants.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

CPL593H posted:

This is a good buy. Also, picture discs are garbage. Don't waste your money.

It'a Story of Star Wars, we're not talking hi-fi here.

Even the regular black ones are still on the 20th Century Fox label which have some of the crappiest sounding records of all time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

It'a Story of Star Wars, we're not talking hi-fi here.

Even the regular black ones are still on the 20th Century Fox label which have some of the crappiest sounding records of all time.

Oh, I thought you were talking about a soundtrack album. That actually sounds fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
Nothing too earth-shattering, but here's Pink Floyd - "Animals" (VG+ vinyl) listed for $3.95. Nice price. SOLD.

Also, the guy seemingly has "A Nice Pair" listed for $9.95, but the pic and description are for something else, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 24, 2013