Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pascallion posted:

Star Trek: DS9 was all about fuckin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Shibawanko posted:

I tried to watch Voyager a few months ago but couldn't. I think the biggest problem is actually the lack of sex - in the abstract, the utter absence of a libidinal economy, of desire and complexes and whatnot. They threw in Seven of Nine because they somehow felt that there was a need for sexuality in that show, but didn't want to actually create relationships between characters, so instead they just cast someone who looked sexy rather than acted that way. Such a boorishly phallic, pointless show. It's really weird to think that something like that was able to get prime time slots and whatnot, but I'm sure that's been discussed a hundred times. The only interesting episode was that time warp planet.

DS9 was all about fuckin'. Most characters have a visible struggle with how they relate to the world.

In Enterprise the sex was there but didn't feel genuine. There was no logical reason for T'Pol and Tucker to do it other than the massages, but there was no believable reason for them to desire each other.

What was phallic about Voyager? Besides Janeway's massive dong I mean.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

What was phallic about Voyager? Besides Janeway's massive dong I mean.

The show had a woman as a captain, but had a thoroughly male, solipsist psychology going on. Characters are "complete" (except the doctor I guess) whereas the world around them is seen as flawed, and they have come to fix it. The whole thing can be easily re-imagined as a Hummer full of well-meaning American jocks on a road trip through an imagined version of sub-Saharan Africa (the Delta Quadrant is a kind of imaginary third world or ghetto) to teach the natives about America. Occasionally they get a flat tire, but they learn nothing about themselves.

There was an episode where they find a rogue Starfleet ship that has gone through by patching itself up through questionable means, they should've made that ship blow up the Voyager and then continued on with its story instead. That would've saved the show.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh my god, you just made me picture a world where Voyager was basically Apocalypse Now meets Star Trek and now I'm depressed that we never got that.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Shibawanko posted:

I tried to watch Voyager a few months ago but couldn't. I think the biggest problem is actually the lack of sex - in the abstract, the utter absence of a libidinal economy, of desire and complexes and whatnot. They threw in Seven of Nine because they somehow felt that there was a need for sexuality in that show, but didn't want to actually create relationships between characters, so instead they just cast someone who looked sexy rather than acted that way. Such a boorishly phallic, pointless show. It's really weird to think that something like that was able to get prime time slots and whatnot, but I'm sure that's been discussed a hundred times. The only interesting episode was that time warp planet.

DS9 was all about fuckin'. Most characters have a visible struggle with how they relate to the world.

In Enterprise the sex was there but didn't feel genuine. There was no logical reason for T'Pol and Tucker to do it other than the massages, but there was no believable reason for them to desire each other.

What

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
There was an episode where Janeway chewed out B'elanna and Tom Paris because everyone on the ship knew about them having dirty monkey sex in the Jeffries tubes and it was undermining the officer rank. Then there was the time where Q spent an entire episode trying to seduce Janeway and settled for a foxy she-Q, at which point they had Q sex right in front of everyone. And of course there's the episode where Harry Kim catches a space STD.

Voyager gave us the line "Foreplay with a Q can last for decades!"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Shibawanko posted:

There was an episode where they find a rogue Starfleet ship that has gone through by patching itself up through questionable means, they should've made that ship blow up the Voyager and then continued on with its story instead. That would've saved the show.

That would be the most hilarious backdoor pilot ever. Episode ends with "And now, scenes from next week's episode of Star Trek: Equinox"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The idea of a bunch of factions from different points in the future fighting proxy wars in various important points of history, that's actually really loving cool. Having one of those battlegrounds be the years leading into the formation of the Federation, that's also really loving cool. I don't think Enterprise even did a bad job of it, either.

Ahaha the whole thing never went anywhere and it's conclusion was basically "how do we sweep this under the rug before we get on with the business of relaunching the show"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Braga said they had no idea who Future Guy was. He was just Future Guy.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I think Harry Kim might be the starfleet officer ever to have been officially reprimanded for loving an Alien.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

LeafyOrb posted:

I think Harry Kim might be the starfleet officer ever to have been officially reprimanded for loving an Alien at all.

He is not allowed to have sex for the same reason he is not allowed to get promoted. Someone has to be the stereotypically emasculated Asian character ensign.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Shibawanko posted:

The show had a woman as a captain, but had a thoroughly male, solipsist psychology going on. Characters are "complete" (except the doctor I guess) whereas the world around them is seen as flawed, and they have come to fix it. The whole thing can be easily re-imagined as a Hummer full of well-meaning American jocks on a road trip through an imagined version of sub-Saharan Africa (the Delta Quadrant is a kind of imaginary third world or ghetto) to teach the natives about America. Occasionally they get a flat tire, but they learn nothing about themselves.

I don't think you are as clever as you think you are.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Braga said they had no idea who Future Guy was. He was just Future Guy.

Berman later said he was gonna be a Future Romulan. Berman, being Berman, still later retconned himself by saying that his own earlier statements were a red herring and Future Guy was gonna be Future Archer. Even though that makes no goddamn sense.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

McSpanky posted:

Berman later said he was gonna be a Future Romulan. Berman, being Berman, still later retconned himself by saying that his own earlier statements were a red herring and Future Guy was gonna be Future Archer. Even though that makes no goddamn sense.

I'm sure they had some vague ideas. Probably would have tied into the romulan war somehow.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I'm sure somewhere in Season 3 during the Xindi arc they just "gently caress it, forget the whole Temporal War thing, let's have aliens in Nazi uniforms."

I could see some of the potential they had for the time travel/paradox poo poo they were going for. Most likely they didn't have the balls for it, but if the Temporal War ended with the NX01 sacrificing itself to ensure the proper future happens and they are erased from memory and why none of it was mentioned in the future series. That could have been cool.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Tighclops posted:

Ahaha the whole thing never went anywhere and it's conclusion was basically "how do we sweep this under the rug before we get on with the business of relaunching the show"

I actually really liked the Xindi arc, but its indicative of how hamfisted the show could be that what could have made a perfect end to that season, the enterprise and the andorians smashing the xindi deathstar ends up being bookmarked by god drat space hitlers from the future in America.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

duck monster posted:

I actually really liked the Xindi arc, but its indicative of how hamfisted the show could be that what could have made a perfect end to that season, the enterprise and the andorians smashing the xindi deathstar ends up being bookmarked by god drat space hitlers from the future in America.

GOTTA HAVE A CLIFFHANGER

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I always imagined that the Season 3 finale was Berman and Braga's parting gift to Manny Coto. "Oh, so you're the new showrunner? Well, follow this!"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Just finished Living Witness.

I have to assume the unfortunate "What if the Holocaust didn't happen?" allegorical message was... unintentional.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Delsaber posted:

I always imagined that the Season 3 finale was Berman and Braga's parting gift to Manny Coto. "Oh, so you're the new showrunner? Well, follow this!"

It pretty much was, I think. Like, not even out of spite, just them trying to be helpful. "Here's a cool hook for you to resolve next season, haha yes! We are so smart, Rick. Anyway, I'm going to go do a couple lines of blow off a hooker's rear end in a top hat now, so I can really focus on this new show I'm developing about dinosaurs and time travel. Gonna be the next Voyager, guys, I got a good feeling about this one."

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

duck monster posted:

Eh totally worth it for the Space Blitzkrieg intro.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

McSpanky posted:

I'm having violent flashbacks to the rumours of a Doctor Who tie-in and oh my god can you even imagine how god-awful

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Violent would scarcely suffice to describe my reactions if David Tennant had strolled onto the bridge of Enterprise in 2007.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Pascallion posted:

Star Trek: DS9 was all about fuckin'

Mods, new thread title.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

duck monster posted:

Yeah this. The Xindi arc was where the show actually got compelling, with heavy continuity and characters making hard choices. Then they hosed it up with an ending where the Enterprise isn't even at Earth when the alien doom-ship finally arrives. :psyduck:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

McSpanky posted:

The future is so broken by then that Archer *is* a Romulan.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DemeaninDemon posted:

Eh totally worth it for the Space Blitzkrieg intro.

I was about to say "I wonder if a show that was just a rolling showcase of balls-out crazy stupid poo poo happening all the time would sell well", but then I realized I was basically describing Doctor Who.

EDIT oh I see someone already covered that angle, alright then

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
I think the season 5 ideas were good for Enterprise, as well as the planned refit of the ship.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

rocket_man38 posted:

I think the season 5 ideas were good for Enterprise, as well as the planned refit of the ship.

To which season 5 ideas are you referring? Because the ones on Memory Alpha are pretty bad.

- A Kzinti story called "Kilkenny Cats"
- Four or five more mirror universe episodes
- The Borg Queen's origin story
- T'Pol's father is a Romulan

Also, the refit is an awful idea.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Wow, season 5 sounds like dogshit.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Well, the other ideas are slightly less horrible, like "let's revisit a place or person from the original series" x3 and "Romulan war. Except no actual war, just like, build-up to a war or something"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"T'Pol's dad is a Romulan" might have had legs , but it would have needed some good writers to pull it off.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah, T'pol always struck me as way more aggressive and mean and willing to do vaguely bad poo poo than the average Vulcan, so assuming that the reveal could have meant anything in the grand scheme of things and that the way it was woven into things made sense then it would have been perfectly fine.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Great_Gerbil posted:

it's not irredeemably lovely.

The most incorrect post on the internet.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

"T'Pol's dad is a Romulan" might have had legs , but it would have needed some good writers to pull it off.

It also seems like a way to just explain away why Blalock couldn't hide her emotions, but it would make her like Spock in a certain way, reducing both characters. I prefer the idea that T'pol, like Tuvok, is just kind of a bad Vulcan. Whereas Tuvok had to be committed to a monastery as a child because his emotions were out of control, T'pol decides to actively pursue emotion because humans seem to do pretty darn well with it. But if her behaviour can be excused with "well, she's a half-breed, so of course", then it's a lovely cop-out.

I'm of the opinion that the best Vulcan characters are the ones who struggle the most with maintaining their composure, to whom the icy placidity of Logic comes the hardest.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

rypakal posted:

The most incorrect post on the internet.

There have been way worse posts. The Temporal Cold War was an interesting idea that wasn't written terribly well. But that's okay! Because the poor writing actually redeems it somewhat.

The Enterprise crew--and by proxy--is left completely in the dark about what's actually going on.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm of the opinion that the best Vulcan characters are the ones who struggle the most with maintaining their composure, to whom the icy placidity of Logic comes the hardest.

Definitely. What makes the race interesting as a concept is that they superficially act like robots, but actually have a huge amount of emotional depth that they're concealing. I think Nimoy and Russ pull this off really well. Blalock perhaps less so but that might just be Enterprise. I agree with RLM's criticism of Quinto in that his Spock is just angry.

e: 'temporal cold war' is an interesting concept because you can make a plausible case for the founding of the Federation being the most obvious period to centre a time-war around. But setting it up in the pilot literally sends the message that they couldn't think of any compelling stories for Enterprise that didn't have time travel woven into the back-plot.

What they needed was a couple of seasons of good stuff to lay out their setting and then to gradually ramp up the cold-war stuff (a bit like DS9 did with the Dominion). Instead Daniels gets treated like a really poo poo and boring version of Q, who pops up in the occasional episode to present the crew with a conundrum they must solve otherwise PERIL.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 22, 2013

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Great_Gerbil posted:

There have been way worse posts. The Temporal Cold War was an interesting idea that wasn't written terribly well. But that's okay! Because the poor writing actually redeems it somewhat.

The Enterprise crew--and by proxy--is left completely in the dark about what's actually going on.

Theoretically I suppose the idea of time war could be done well. We'll find out this Saturday!

I'm convinced that they capped off season 3 with space nazis because they didn't want to be remembered for the Temporal Cold War being the stupidest thing they've ever done.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I guess you don't remember the Blue Nazis being part of that storyline, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
The main problem I have with the TCW is that it was never very clear for the audience what was happening. There were so many different factions and it was never clear who was who and what they wanted. I guess I'll spoil this. So, the Sphere Builders are manipulating the Xindi to interrupt the formation of the Federation. This is done so that in the future the Federation doesn't stop them and they can invade normal space. Fine, I can understand that. Who were the Suliban working for and why? Were they working for the future-past Nazis? What did the Nazis want besides also interrupting the formation of the Federation?

Honestly, the TCW could've been a neat idea if we had a few more Star Trek shows set in other eras and we could ultimately have one show set in the 29th century where we follow Daniels or other temporal agents as they travel around the different eras of the Federation fighting the other factions. Enterprise didn't need anything more than the formation of the Federation to be interesting and if there was a show dedicated to the TCW, we could have gotten more in depth with what it was really about and who the actors in the conflict were. Instead we got "Daniels shows up, tells Archer to stop a thing cause it's important. Archer does and Daniels disappears. Repeat a few episodes later."

• Locked thread