Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

sebmojo posted:

A dagger does an average of 3 points less than a greatsword. It's not big deal at higher levels.

Well, 4.5 less. Also the greatsword gets 150% strength bonus which is probably another 2-3 points in Tarquin's case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

Tarquin wasn't plotting against Malack, he was setting up a 'heads I win, tails you lose' situation of regardless of who won he would be remembered. Either through Malack as a sort of fantasy Kim il-sung posthumous "Eternal General of the Empire" or through tale and song at the hands of his Heroic son. Malack as far as either of them knew would outlive both Tarquin and his son, and his son's son and so on and would continue to rule the empire or its inevitable successor state from the safety within the shadows.

Heck, to Tarquin's perspective he might even be helping Malack. From the logic that "If the Hero exists, so must the Empire"; for as long as Tarquin's descendents "live" to be Heroes in a very JoJo-esque way so to logically must exist Tarquin's empire under the guidance of Malack.

Agreed.

Tarquin knew he had two kids, he knew Nale was weak, he didn't know exactly how Elan would turn out or if Elan would ever show up. So he planned to bequeath the tri-empire area to Malack to sacrifice to Nergal should the rest of the party live out their days without a hero staging a grand revolt. However, Elan did show up and Tarquin deemed him hero enough to make a better story, but his prior agreement with Malack still held (even if Malack didn't know it was Plan B). After all, if Elan says "screw this" and walks away, another hero will eventually show up because genocide tends to attract unwanted attention. Let's say that Elan did show up, kill his father in the Dramatic Battle of the Century and write songs about it. Well, you'd still have an immortal vampire hanging around waiting for him to die of old age and go right back to business. Nobody expected Malack to die, least of all from Nale and his hired mage. With him out of the question, there is no contingency plan and Elan must be the hero for Daddy to get the resolution he wants.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colonel Cool posted:

Well, 4.5 less. Also the greatsword gets 150% strength bonus which is probably another 2-3 points in Tarquin's case.

Yeah. It's not optimal, but it's also not 'I AM HELPLESS UNTIL I CAN FIND A PROPER WEAPON'. Which isn't something Rich is gonna point out at this stage of the strip, but it is something he'll be aware of. He even made a joke about it in one of the letters column strips way back when.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Colonel Cool posted:

It also gets more power attack damage so yeah...

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
drat, any time any of you posts D&D rules, I am just reminded how royally screwed martial characters really are.

e X fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 21, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think there if a third son that is a perfect clone of Tarquin. His name is Elanus.

Tarquin wanted to be the greatest military mind ever known and find Desert Haven, but his son is going to stop him and destroy the giant Warforged fighter.

But Tarquin is a great man.

Poor Nale thought he received the weaker genres from his father, but really it was Elan.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

greatn posted:

I think there if a third son that is a perfect clone of Tarquin. His name is Elanus.

Tarquin wanted to be the greatest military mind ever known and find Desert Haven, but his son is going to stop him and destroy the giant Warforged fighter.

But Tarquin is a great man.

Poor Nale thought he received the weaker genres from his father, but really it was Elan.

Is this some kind of reference to something.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I THINK it's an MGS joke about Solid/Liquid/Solidus Snake.

I think it would mean Nale is Liquid Snake, Elan is Solid Snake, and the third guy is Solidus Snake.

No, I doubt context would help make this make sense.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

sebmojo posted:

It's a really painful Metal Gear Solid reference.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

e X posted:

drat, any time any of you posts D&D rules. I am just reminded how royally screwed martial characters really are.

Martial characters are fine, it's just that they're confined to the Book of Nine Swords. Fighters and their lot, meanwhile, are meat walls with pointy sticks.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sebmojo posted:

I think it's an anus joke.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

prefect posted:

I think it's an anus joke.

:itisananusjoke:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
On paper, Martial Characters Are screwed, yes. But Rich has done a great job showing how casters would develop if they were actual people choosing their paths as they grew and not message board sperg lords planning out every possible action into infinity.

It's like the characters are supposed to be people and not optimal builds!

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Cabbit posted:

Martial characters are fine, it's just that they're confined to the Book of Nine Swords. Fighters and their lot, meanwhile, are meat walls with pointy sticks.

But didn't the Book of Nine Swords essentially add refluffed magic options? And not fix some of the core problems like feats(the fighters main gimmick)being worse then spells? Or fix the Monk's abilities have no synergy on top of one of them having a subpar chance to hit for a front liner before even adding penalties from fury of blows?

:spergin:

In all honestly with martial maneuvers they're pretty good.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So here's a thing: Julio and Tarquin have been rivals for a long time. Julio knows Tarquin's face.

He knew exactly who Elan was the second he walked into that tavern. It sorta casts all his actions, including training Elan, in a whole new light.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CapnAndy posted:

So here's a thing: Julio and Tarquin have been rivals for a long time. Julio knows Tarquin's face.

He knew exactly who Elan was the second he walked into that tavern. It sorta casts all his actions, including training Elan, in a whole new light.

It's not a given that Rich knew that at the time... but yeah. That's an interesting point.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

CapnAndy posted:

Well spotted. I like it. :golfclap:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

CapnAndy posted:

He knew this day was likely to come. Hence his "Seriously, don't contact me again, I don't want to die" thing.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

ConfusedUs posted:

Agreed. When your damage is X + 572, it doesn't matter much if X is 1d4 or 1d12 or whatever.

Case in point: I sure hope he rolls a one!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

sebmojo posted:

It's not a given that Rich knew that at the time... but yeah. That's an interesting point.

Didn't he say that all the major plot points were developed before the 100th strip and that he only improvises the minor details? I would say that Elan's father's arch nemesis was part of the former.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

I like how Belkar is basically saying he sucks to his future self.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That was exactly the reference I was trying to make, but I got the number wrong.

I was pretty close though!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Niton posted:

I like how Belkar is basically saying he sucks to his future self.

And he gets that Barbarian level like four strips later.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Who What Now posted:

On paper, Martial Characters Are screwed, yes. But Rich has done a great job showing how casters would develop if they were actual people choosing their paths as they grew and not message board sperg lords planning out every possible action into infinity.

It's like the characters are supposed to be people and not optimal builds!

That's the other thing too, this is why in fantasy novels having something like a "favorite spell" or what have you, realistically you don't have the time or mental discipline to think of the optimal move; you just gotta fall back on what you comfortably know and can cast without fumbling it, and quickly or die.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Perhaps Laurin's request is calling off the plan and just ruling with what they have now, or to release her from the agreement and let her live out the rest of her life with her daughter or some other thing that would jeopardize Tarquin's plans without actually betraying him.

Now I want to see Tarquin somehow go bald just so he can properly do the Charlie Brown "AUUUUUGH!" at that moment.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Zogundar posted:

Now I want to see Tarquin somehow go bald just so he can properly do the Charlie Brown "AUUUUUGH!" at that moment.

Oh c'mon, as if Scoundrél won't reveal that Tarquin was bald all along by removing his toupee with his sword.

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

Blackheart posted:

Oh c'mon, as if Scoundrél won't reveal that Tarquin was bald all along by removing his toupee with his sword.

"Looks like I'm not the only one getting some use out of a rug."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Blackheart posted:

Hahahahaha

Yesssss.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Blackheart posted:

Much to Haley's dismay.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Pope Guilty posted:

Much to Haley's dismay.

Roy: Hey, I think he looks fine like that!
Belkar: Yeah what's the problem?

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Durkon: *disappointed sigh*

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Rereading stuffs: I don't get the bit (joke?) with Blackwing on this page http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html . Any help?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

jsoh posted:

Rereading stuffs: I don't get the bit (joke?) with Blackwing on this page http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html . Any help?

My guess: ginkgo bilboa is purported to be a memory enhancer, and Blackwing keeps getting forgotten.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah, for awhile blackwing would only pop into existence when V remembered they existed. Which I'm told is semi-common when it comes to familiars

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

My guess: ginkgo bilboa is purported to be a memory enhancer, and Blackwing keeps getting forgotten.

Oh, good call. I always just thought it was random monkeycheese.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

One thing that always bugged me: isn't it ginkgo biloba, as in bi-lobed leaves?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

razorrozar posted:

One thing that always bugged me: isn't it ginkgo biloba, as in bi-lobed leaves?

I blame Rocky Balboa.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cat Mattress posted:

I blame Rocky Balboa.

I blame Bilbo.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I blame dildos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

TINA TURNER posted:

I blame dildos.

That'd work, really. Who could forget the familiar that flies around with dildos?