Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I prefer Quake 3, but drat if it isn't fun to load up some UT99. I play with bots, so there's no comparing the communities. Bots-wise they both seem just fine. Weapons-wise, Quake 3 has solid weapons, but UT99 has the Flak Cannon. And the Flak Cannon is awesome. Quake 3 has the better rocket launcher, the better sniper, but when it comes to shotguns, UT99 has the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

catlord posted:

I prefer Quake 3, but drat if it isn't fun to load up some UT99. I play with bots, so there's no comparing the communities. Bots-wise they both seem just fine. Weapons-wise, Quake 3 has solid weapons, but UT99 has the Flak Cannon. And the Flak Cannon is awesome. Quake 3 has the better rocket launcher, the better sniper, but when it comes to shotguns, UT99 has the best.

I found that UT99's weapons are, on average, much more fun. Lobbing 4 rockets at a bot with the UT99 rocket launcher and watching his gibs soar throughout a map at 100 MPH while a funny "slush" sound plays when the gibs hit something is a lot more fun and amusing than Q3's rocket launcher, which just pushes their body a bit or makes them explode into gibs that don't go far.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

An Enormous Boner posted:

Quake III is way more dry and unforgiving and that's why people want to play UT99 to have fun. QIII is Terminator, UT99 is Terminator 2.

I actually think that's a pretty good analogy. Quake III felt really...utilitarian, with relatively dull weapons and abstract arenas. Everything was manufactured to fit into a specific mathematical role, the sum of which was a multiplayer game where people could play like robots and transcend layman concepts of how people played games. Like a "Pro" Starcraft player mashing macros that corresponded to a rapid and endless series of actions that were incomprehensible to the naked eye, Quake III was two or more people twitching like machines, compulsively blindfiring rockets into hot-spots and autonomously bouncing between item spawns. An ordinary person watching somebody play Quake III might feel compelled to say, "Oh my God, what is wrong with that person?"

UT99 was a fun, colorful game with interesting guns that you could use to shoot people in interesting environments, and the pinnacle of an FPS straddling the line between a singleplayer and multiplayer game in the 1990's. It was friendlier and more accessible, just like Arnold Schwarzenegger's character in T2:JD.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 22, 2013

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Has anyone ever re-made the first episode of Doom 1 with Doom 2 enemies and the SSG?. I was going through it earlier with the new Brutal Doom and just Imps/Zombies/Pinkies is a little boring.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
KDIZD features the SSG (in the secret level), chaingunner, and Hell knight. Though it has its own original, from-scratch sprites for them and it's probably not compatible with BD given that all enemies are replaced by variants to tweak them a bit.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

soscannonballs posted:

Has anyone ever re-made the first episode of Doom 1 with Doom 2 enemies and the SSG?. I was going through it earlier with the new Brutal Doom and just Imps/Zombies/Pinkies is a little boring.

Do you understand that this is a really weird question? There's no reason to play through Doom 1's first episode unless you want to see how basic fluid level design works in Doom, or if you're feeling nostalgic. There are a million really great Doom 2 wads that you should play instead of finding a way to shoehorn Doom 2 monsters into just about the most basic Doom experience possible.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Like if you wanted to see Doom 2 monsters, why wouldn't you seek out a WAD balanced around those enemy types? It's nonsense.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Playstation Doom scattered a few Doom 2 monsters around the Doom 1 maps where you least expected it on the higher difficulties - for example, the Shotgunner behind the [-shaped wall in the middle of E1M1 is now a Chaingunner. It was a nice touch to keep veterans wary!

ANYWAY, GOG have a 60%-off deal on great FPS games for the weekend, including UT, Duke 3D, System Shock 2, Serious Sam and... uh... Blood 2. Well, I guess they can't all be classics.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

Playstation Doom scattered a few Doom 2 monsters around the Doom 1 maps where you least expected it on the higher difficulties - for example, the Shotgunner behind the [-shaped wall in the middle of E1M1 is now a Chaingunner. It was a nice touch to keep veterans wary!

ANYWAY, GOG have a 60%-off deal on great FPS games for the weekend, including UT, Duke 3D, System Shock 2, Serious Sam and... uh... Blood 2. Well, I guess they can't all be classics.

I've been waiting for a sale on that Riddick game, sweet poo poo.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

soscannonballs posted:

Pretty sure I have this exact thing on the Maximum Doom CD somewhere. Also the Phobos Anomaly level is broken because Doom 2 doesn't have the "lower the walls once all the Barons are dead" script that E1M8 does.

Also the PSX Doom total conversion just casually drops Doom 2 monsters into the game - Hangar has a chaingunner and a Pain Elemental.

E: beaten on the second point

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

catlord posted:

I was always underwhelmed by Q3's guns, pretty much only using the rocket, rail, or plasma. I hated the grenade launcher, never used it.

UT99 has some wonky guns too, but at least everything is overall more unique and interesting. The blue plasma gun has that fun alt fire / main fire explosion combo. The green crap gun is like the lightning gun from Q3 combined with a funky grenade launcher. Even the rocket launcher is slightly cooler than Q3's because it has that high risk/reward alt fire where you load up extra rockets.

I guess its just having alt fires itself, that alone adds so much more depth to the weapons in UT99.

But yeah, flak launcher all day every day. Alt fire with that thing is a 1-hit kill. I got so good at lobbing flak bombs into people's faces. (Ironic considering I absolutely loathed Q3's grenade launcher, for the similar parabolic aiming, but somehow it felt better on the flak cannon) The primary's shotgun blast was fun too.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 22, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Flak Cannon's primary is awesome because you'll sometimes kill a guy around the corner you didn't even know he was there after you miss a shot on your primary target.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Of course to find a match you had to sort through a million low gravity instagibs...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Keiya posted:

Of course to find a match you had to sort through a million Facing Worlds...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hahaha, I played UT99 at some LAN a few years back for the first time in a long while, and sure enough first map up was Facing Worlds.

It was a pretty sweet map for its time, though. But yeah, waaaaaay overplayed.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

UT99 was a fun, colorful game with interesting guns that you could use to shoot people in interesting environments, and the pinnacle of an FPS straddling the line between a singleplayer and multiplayer game in the 1990's. It was friendlier and more accessible, just like Arnold Schwarzenegger's character in T2:JD.

It's also utter poo poo - just like terminator 2!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Korendian Leader posted:

I almost fainted at the double-doozy of this bad opinion. It's like a one-two punch of terrible beliefs. I've never liked you, Korendian Leader. Never.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Korendian Leader posted:

Congratulations, you've proven opinions CAN be completely and utterly wrong.

But no, I'm sure the game that got great reviews, amazing scores, and multiple game of the year awards must be poo poo, it can't be that you have a bad opinion.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 22, 2013

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Unreal Tournament 99 is Just Fun, with all the good and bad things that phrase implies.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
If it wasn't for Unreal/UT99 we probably wouldn't have Deus Ex, GOTY of all years. The Amiga demoscene styled music is pretty cool too.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
John Carmack has left id Software.

(found out via Neogaf)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I honestly think he's best off working on the Oculus Rift anyway. It's exactly the sort of cutting edge field that needs crazy coding savants on board. He hasn't seemed really happy at iD in a long time.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm looking for some good remake wads of Doom 1's original episodes. Any suggestions? And yes, I played Knee Deep in ZDoom.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm looking for some good remake wads of Doom 1's original episodes. Any suggestions? And yes, I played Knee Deep in ZDoom.

Would "Doom the Way Id Did" count?

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Korendian Leader posted:

Wow, you are so wrong. Like, at least an eleven on the ten point scale of wrongness.

Speaking of action movie stuff, the Terrorists mod for Doom is really, really fun. Anyone got any (preferably not too challenging, I'm not particularly good at shooters :v:) real world styled map packs to go along with it?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Wasn't he kind of the last part of id that was interesting? And also the reason we got source releases for the old engines? Sigh...

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
It's a shame about the Rage engine. The idea of an engine that automatically displays the best possible graphical quality a machine can handle while maintaining a steady framerate with no need for manual tweaking by the user is one that really speaks to me. It ended up not working out with Rage due to it being optimized for the strengths of consoles rather than PCs, but I feel like the idea was good enough to get another shot. Unfortunately it looks like that's not going to happen now.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Keiya posted:

Wasn't he kind of the last part of id that was interesting? And also the reason we got source releases for the old engines? Sigh...

Yep. Most of the original id crew were gone by the time Quake shipped. The only other founder who stuck around into the new millennium was the artist Adrian Carmack and they forced him out in 2005.

It's easy to idolize the early days of id since they were a bunch of dudes making video games on 'borrowed' computers, but they were a real meat-grinder company by the late 90s.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

It was the sweet spot of player models, etc.

haveblue posted:

With modern games being what they are, partly for the reasons you already listed, supporting modding is taking more and more effort on the part of the developer.

On top of that, publishers (especially 2K and Ubisoft) hate modding, for some reason, and modders tend to be scattered all over the place. I've seen people take commissions just to port over certain models to Source for Gmod or CS:S. And now not a lot of people can afford a monster rig to model, which is why there's too many lovely reskins everywhere.

The Rage engine was a huge waste. I still can't play the PC version because the pop-in textures annoy me to no loving end.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I just got the secret ending on Reelism. :stare:

edit: also, any recommendations for coop doom mods?

edit edit: The candyland map in the reelism mod is missing multiplayer spawns. :(

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 23, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

QwertySanchez posted:

edit edit: The candyland map in the reelism mod is missing multiplayer spawns. :(
Fixed in the next version!

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

JackMackerel posted:

On top of that, publishers (especially 2K and Ubisoft) hate modding, for some reason

You can thank the rise of DLC for that. Modding in new content for games, even if it is just reskins, is perceived to take away potential profit from the publisher releasing their own new content. It also becomes a source of piracy if you are able to easily drag and drop DLC files into your game directory that would normally cost money to purchase.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Keiya posted:

One hell of a Guns 'N Roses situation we had with id Software, and now even Axl Rose has left the building.

(for the record, Carmack is more Slash than Axl, but you know what I mean)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
On a better set of news, Duke Nukem Forever 2013 just got a 3 level community addon pack with original music made specifically for it. The second level is absolutely spectacular, and one can only hope that this sort of pace continues.

If you aren't sure if you want it, take a look at this video and be amazed.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I played Chex Quest today for the first time since it came out and it was pretty sweet. Are there any good map packs that work with it?

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Is there a good launcher program for GZDoom that lets me load saved WAD configurations? Something like ZDL, but for GZDoom instead of Zandronum.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Zero Star posted:

Is there a good launcher program for GZDoom that lets me load saved WAD configurations? Something like ZDL, but for GZDoom instead of Zandronum.

ZDL should work on any source port, they all use the same command variables, albeit some have special functions.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zero Star posted:

ZDL works just fine for GZDoom. And Zdoom, and prboom, and basically every major source port. https://github.com/qbasicer/qzdl/releases/tag/v3.2.2.2-stable

I mean, it was originally only for Zdoom and GZdoom so I don't know why it wouldn't be working now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Even if it was originally meant for ZDoom, it always worked with pretty much all ports since most of the basic commands came from vanilla, and from the extra commands, most are either relatively standard (-iwad) or generally not needed.