Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Anyone in here getting their copy from Mantic's event? I need an unboxing bad, baby.

So looking forward to what I have been calling "Necromunda 2.0"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The thread is now collectively jonesing for an unboxing. Especially since it comes in such a big box and the old rule applies, "The bigger the box, the better the game".

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I probably am but I expect to do the unboxing when I get bored on the train home if not on the floor in the middle of the open day.

Edit: wait will ks backers even get the big box or just everything in plastic bags?

I also worry it will be too large to transport by train.

Phoon fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 12, 2013

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
I should hopefully be getting both of my copies on the 25th or 26th so I'll be opening one on the train home and then record one when I actually get home :)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Phoon posted:

Edit: wait will ks backers even get the big box or just everything in plastic bags?

I want a box, and then another box for everything that doesn't fit in the first one :c00lbert:

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

I want a box, and then another box for everything that doesn't fit in the first one :c00lbert:

I've not got an answer to this yet sorry!

More plagues though:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
If my last two Dreadball packages are of any indication, then no, they won't be sending me the box. :smith:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Hope we still get some of those plastic cases with the foam those are dope.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Phoon posted:

Hope we still get some of those plastic cases with the foam those are dope.

They look like repurposed VHS cases, which means they rule.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

:siren: We are getting the box. :siren:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Hooray.

I wonder if that means I'll have enough mantic points for something just from the ks.

I've been eyeing the KoW couple with the ghost dog.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

^^We don't get Mantic points for Kickstarter items do we?

Daedleh posted:

:pcgaming: OUTSTANDING :pcgaming:

Ordered some new paints Monday, decided on the colour theme for my Enforcers, just remains to be seen whether or not I can pull it off. Also considering doing my Plague either P3 purple or Vallejo sunset red with the white highlights, rather than the pink. My rebs, man I've got so many colours I want to try on the different aliens, and picked up a deep red I was thinking of using as a second colour on the Teraton as well as possibly on some terrain. Long way to go before it arrives down here, but getting excited :neckbeard:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Daedleh posted:

This makes me a very happy bunny. It means it can go live on the shelf in the garage with the other big game boxes. The same shelf full of games that I will use to slowly subvert my offspring to the ways of the wargamer.

Will also help me realise what exactly I'm getting as extras. My biggest grumble with crowd funding projects, keeping track of what's what :)

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

^^We don't get Mantic points for Kickstarter items do we?

I expect there to be some points printed on the inside of the box rim just because thats been the case with every mantic cardboard box I've gotten and I doubt they'd bother to print a different version for ks backers.

Probably won't be any other than that though.

Edit: Can't remember who linked them originally but I got some of those warbases KoW movement trays and they are perfect. Now I just need to cut some plain mdf for my cavalry/big dudes (and the basilean sisters who don't have inserts for some reason).

Phoon fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 13, 2013

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Mantic has issued a cease and desist. It was aimed at a Dreadball project, but I think everyone should see this.

A fellow created some dreadball team reference cards such as this:

He put them up for sale on a website, but being a fan he felt it unfair to make any profit on the venture and they were being sold at cost. It unfortunately came to Mantics attention as he was selling items that were infringing on Mantics copyrights. Here is a statement that James just made:

quote:

I've just had a chat with Geoff, as unfortunately it's a bit of a legal issue. We understand that he's not making any profit, but it's still something that could cause issues down the line. It's like that Jack Daniels cease and desist letter (Google it, it's awesome); we love what Geoff's done, and this is something that really improves DreadBall, but if we don't make a challenge it can weaken our legal position later if someone unscrupulous tries to release DreadBall stuff without our consent.

We're more than happy for this to be a thing, we just need to get it polished up with some high-res images and the like, then we'll make sure it's available again with an official license. In the meantime, I've suggested Geoff could make it a free download or something, so people can print-and-play while they're waiting for the cards to come back.

Hopefully you guys understand

(I think Geoff's on his way here to say something similar. It's all a bit of a love-in, if I'm honest. He loves DreadBall, we love his cards.)

So, after finding out about a fan using their trademarks Mantic politely asked him to take them down, while they sorted out a license for him to use and to provide him with full print quality images. In the meantime they've suggested he offers them up for free download.

(This may or may not be a not-so-subtle dig at another companies use of cease and desist on fan projects)

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
what model is that in the picture (race/team or whatever), it's pretty sweet looking, might make a good 15mm "monster"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

So I was watching a YouTube vid the Beasts of War guys did covering various KoW factions, and it looks like basically for the Kingdoms of Men faction, Mantic encourages you to use other 28mm historical/fantasy ranges to represent your army. I bring this up because I suddenly started having visions of buying and painting/converting some 28mm Greek (or maybe some Scottish Highlander) figures and had to lie down for a bit. :3:

Have any goons done that sort of thing with a Kingdoms of Men army? It's been a while since I read thru the whole thread, so I don't recall if anyone had already posted examples of such. I don't mean necessarily just using their existing WFB Empire army, but rather buying some other historical/fantasy stuff and using it in a KoW game.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I though about that exact same thing using Victrix' new hoplites plastics sets. Then looked over at the giant pile of Xyston thebans I had and decided I should hold off. But ya, I actually made an empire army for Fantasy out of Perry Napoleonics, lots of nice kits out there nowadays.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Mr.Booger posted:

what model is that in the picture (race/team or whatever), it's pretty sweet looking, might make a good 15mm "monster"

That is Dozer, a female Teraton. She is a monster sized model in 28mm, but the male Teratons should be a good size for 15mm.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Mr.Booger posted:

I though about that exact same thing using Victrix' new hoplites plastics sets. Then looked over at the giant pile of Xyston thebans I had and decided I should hold off. But ya, I actually made an empire army for Fantasy out of Perry Napoleonics, lots of nice kits out there nowadays.

There definitely are, I also like the fact that in some cases (depending on the manufacturer and the range you're buying), you can get 30-40 guys for like $25-30 (not including shipping and handling), which is definitely a big help in putting together a decent-sized KoW army.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

I used Fireforge Games's cavalry boxes to make the bulk of my Kingdoms of Men army:

This guy used the perry plastics to make a beautiful Game of Thrones themed army:

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
You've done really well, they look fantastic.

And the choices don't end there for Kingdoms of Men. Wargames Factory Samurai can be used to make an all Samurai army. Kensai miniatures can supply you with the heroes for it.

I traded for a ton of LotR goblins. An absolute ton of them. I am going to use them to make a KoW goblin force. Hoping to show you some photo's of them when I get them together. But I am absolutely enchanted by Daedleh's army, especially your Ogres!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The Dark Project posted:

And the choices don't end there for Kingdoms of Men. Wargames Factory Samurai can be used to make an all Samurai army. Kensai miniatures can supply you with the heroes for it.

I keep finding myself going back to Warlord Games' page and looking at their Pike & Shotte range, specifically their Thirty Years War/English Civil Wars stuff. True historical wargamers would probably faint dead away at my heretical ideas, but damned if I don't want to get some of the various units and paint/convert them all with a nice unified color scheme for a KoW army. :allears:

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I think they'd be perfect. Who says the Kingdoms of Men all have to have the same technological level?

Just a question - What size unit bases should I make for my goblins? Don't they usually benefit most if you run them in hordes for the foot troops? I am just wondering as a unit of 20 by itself would have a different location for it's leader in comparison to a 40. Putting two 20's side by side doesn't really help with this, so I am thinking that for some units it would just be better to put them all together as a horde on one large unit base.

Am I correct with this? I am guessing this is for melee guys only perhaps, and that the spitters are likely to be used as units of 20?

Also thinking of allying them with Twilight Kin, except I will make a "Forces of Mordor" list from that instead. Easy enough to source what is needed as fewer and fewer people play LotR and the plastics are plentiful and cheap.

Also, new KoW FAQ is up, which as a bonus gives you exact base sizes for your miniatures, something GW steadfastly refuses to do.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 14, 2013

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Oh you :blush:

But ECW era armies are totally do-able in Kings of War! The kingdoms are very splintered and range from nothing more than feuding barbarians to quite technologically advanced city states. I wouldn't go as far as Napoleonic tech level, but certainly English civil war.

I'd start off with a couple of regiments of goblin sharpsticks since they're good flank protectors and open slots for your warmachines/heroes. It's not a huge deal to put them together to make a horde and just say "right the leader is where the line runs down the centre of the unit", but generally past 2 regiments I'd go for hordes of goblins. They can put a scary number on the table. One of the pathfinders wrote an article on beasts of war about his dirty, dirty, dirty goblin list he put together for the clash of kings and he used mainly hordes with some regiments for support. I went up against it and got smeared across the table.

Also:

(not mine sadly)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The Dark Project posted:

I think they'd be perfect. Who says the Kingdoms of Men all have to have the same technological level?

Daedleh posted:

But ECW era armies are totally do-able in Kings of War! The kingdoms are very splintered and range from nothing more than feuding barbarians to quite technologically advanced city states. I wouldn't go as far as Napoleonic tech level, but certainly English civil war.

You really have to hand it to Mantic: they've pretty much made a game with lore and rules that are just loose enough to where it makes perfect sense to have ancient Greeks face off against samurai warriors, or Caesarian Romans taking on forces from the time of Oliver Cromwell. :woop:

On a similar note, I wonder if they've done anything like that for Warpath? Though I suppose the Corporation and/or Enforcers are "generic" enough that you could replace them with any other miniature line's sci-fi troopers/power armor guys, really (if the Mantic ones don't do it for you, that is).

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Does anyone in the Northern VA area play Dreadball? A friend and fellow goon and I want to try it out before we drop money on it.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Daedleh posted:

So, after finding out about a fan using their trademarks Mantic politely asked him to take them down, while they sorted out a license for him to use and to provide him with full print quality images. In the meantime they've suggested he offers them up for free download.

This brings a smile to my face. I'm even happier I recently bought a copy of Dreadball.

I understand that companies hands are tied and they need to do these things to retain their trademark. Knowing this, it's hard to get angry at them for doing so. It's simultaneously astounding to see others get up in arms and waving their internet pitchforks over such things.

If there's a way to go about it, this is it. Responding as being flattered and not angry is the better approach if the infringement was not malicious. I'm stating the obvious here, but it is great to see.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

So I ended up getting my first Mantic game, namely Project Pandora: Grim Cargo. It was a steal on Amazon ($34, including S&H), and I still had some money left over from some gift cards. Also, by a happy coincidence my brother happened to mention he'd been pondering collecting a Veer-Myn army. Since I like the look of the Corporation, we decided to each go in half on it.

From what I've read, it sounds like a fun little not-quite-Space-Hulk clone, though I have heard that some people griped about Mantic 1)not including any bases for the minis and 2)having to cut rifles off of arms in order to attach the special weapons (instead of just making special weapons arms). The first one isn't a big deal as we can just get some bases later, but hopefully the second (cutting stuff up for special weapons troops) won't be too much of a pain. :ohdear:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I picked up two copies a while back to get started for Warpath, followed by a cheap ebay auction for a Veermyn army. At some point I'll assemble and paint the lot of them.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Pretty tempted to get a christmas crazy box for myself. Although I'd rather not have another duplicate giant. But who knows, maybe I'll get a dozer. Hopefully they have them on sale at the open day

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Phoon posted:

Pretty tempted to get a christmas crazy box for myself. Although I'd rather not have another duplicate giant. But who knows, maybe I'll get a dozer. Hopefully they have them on sale at the open day

I'm tempted too, but no one out here really plays KoW, Warpath, and only a bit of Dreadball. I'm hoping deadzone makes them change!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

My copy of Project Pandora arrived on Friday, and though I haven't gotten a game in yet, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the figures so far. I've put together a couple Corporation and a Veer-Myn out of the box already, and though there was still a bit of work to do as far as cleaning up flash and mold lines goes, overall it wasn't anything horrible (unlike the near-trauma I experienced trying to clean up some plastic Khador :sigh:).

The figures are pretty nicely detailed, though the lack of poseability and the more realistic proportions took a little getting used to (considering my main modeling/gaming experience has mostly been GW stuff). But overall I'm pleased with the way the models look, as is my brother, who went in half with me because he decided he wanted to start a Veer-Myn army and figured the PP box would be a good start.

And the best part is that he's already talking about getting a second Warpath army, once he's built up his Veer-Myn a bit. Apparently he saw a Forge Father Iron Ancestor and was instantly sold on the squatsspace dwarfs. :v:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah forge fathers are awesome but I'm gonna wait for the inevitable ks before I go hard into warpath.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Phoon posted:

Yeah forge fathers are awesome but I'm gonna wait for the inevitable ks before I go hard into warpath.

Unfortunately (fortunately for my wallet) they're saying the Warpath KS is quite a ways back in the queue, they have Dwarf Kings Hold 4, Dreadball Extreme and Kings of War II to come in some order first. Apparently Warpath is going to go for all hard plastic sprues, abandoning restic, but they're not going to do it until they get the process right, which is what the terrain and the enforcer peacekeeper squad was about.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
There will be a Forgefathers hard plastic sprue coming from the Deadzone kickstarter, giving you Squats in Exo Armour. Should be available in the Deadzone second survey.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

(mostly copied from my Mantic blog post)

Deadzone is now Mantics biggest ever release. Mark W put out a call to the pathfinders for anyone to come down and help them pack the retail copies in exchange for sweet, sweet plastic crack. I took up his offer yesterday and figured people might like a look at how Mantic prepares its products for retail release (before I get onto looking at lovely things like the scenery). Not everything had arrived for the kickstarter backers yet so we were getting a head start on packing Retail copies.

To start off with, this was how many Retail Deadzone starter boxes had been packed:

Every single one of those boxes contains 6 Deadzone starter sets. This stack had doubled by the end of the day.

This is what a DZ starter box looks like:

Unfortunately I couldn't do an unboxing. I had intended to do a "boxing" instead showing the starter box as every component got added, but didn't get chance to do so sorry!

This is what the Enforcer starting set packing station looked like:

Each of the boxes contains a different component shipped in and often by different manufacturers. The process was:
- Insert outside paper sleeve into the Mantic case (now in black!). This was an absolute pain and something I couldn't get the hang off.
- Put a sprue of 25mm bases and a 40mm base under the foam.
- Add in the card deck, a bag of 5 Warpath Enforcers (to be replaced with a plastic sprue on release) and a bag of DZ Enforcer specialists
- Stick the box together with the security seal

With two of us working on the line this took us the best part of 20 minutes to do a single crate of 40 Enforcer starters. Some of the others had more components to them - the Marauder starter had 5 bags of minis - and were a 3 man assembly line.

Blisters by comparison were very simple to make.

You grap an empty blister, put the mini in, put a paper sheet on top and snap the blister package shut. Easy as pie.

I walked away with a LOT of stuff including a full battlezone of scenery, marauder, plague and enforcer starters as well as a marauder booster.

Here's what you get in a single £25 battlezone:

It's a hell of a lot of plastic and the box is easily twice the size of the equivalent GW cities of death box.

That's 1 x connector sprue, 4 x the upper-left sprues and 2 of all the other sprues. I'll go through and start taking more pictures including the minis shortly. I can confirm that the clips are as strong as in the video of Ronnie posted in the KS update.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

No no please, do go on :magical:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Quick shot of my Project Pandora stuff that I've done so far (in between working on some various other things):

:allears:

You can't really tell from the pic, but the Corp guy in the front is the flame weapon guy (across from the Veer-Myn chem-thrower dude).

Overall I really do like these figures. They've certainly been less of a pain to clean up than my Warmachine plastics (which just broke my spirit with their terrible mold lines), and even though they're nowhere near as poseable as a Space Marine, I think that the options given with the sprues allow you to still put a little bit of character into them. Though I do wonder, what with Mantic's figures being at a more "realistic" scale than GW's stuff, are there any good conversion bits for heads/helmets/weapons/etc.? Googling around seems to generally indicate that most decent conversion bits from places like Pig Iron, etc. are more suited to the "heroic" scale GW uses, rather than a more realistically proportioned scale like Mantic's. Figured I would check and see what you goons thought.

Also I am loving the peeks we are getting at Deadzone and that plastic scenery pic in particular is amazing. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Daedleh posted:

Here's what you get in a single £25 battlezone:

It's a hell of a lot of plastic and the box is easily twice the size of the equivalent GW cities of death box.

That's 1 x connector sprue, 4 x the upper-left sprues and 2 of all the other sprues. I'll go through and start taking more pictures including the minis shortly. I can confirm that the clips are as strong as in the video of Ronnie posted in the KS update.

Beginning to think I might not have needed so many of these after all.. though in hindsight, I think I only ordered an additional battlezone on top of my pledge level.

Eh, who's going to complain at having more terrain available? :)

The big question I have is.. we've seen the standard terrain, have we seen pics of the other stuff yet? Like the fortifications / ruined stuff? Or is that going to a be a wave 2 release? I haven't really kept up with all the KS updates and what not :)

drat thing thing is getting so close :ohdear: