Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Two Finger posted:

That's five different outcomes for one character.
Why on earth don't more RPG's do this?
Because many people don't even finish a given game once, to say nothing of replaying it 5+ times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ephemeron posted:

Because many people don't even finish a given game once, to say nothing of replaying it 5+ times.

Even playing it twice (and playing it differently) would give people a flavor of what is possible. I'm curious how many people outright kill Brayko and Deng, instead of listening to what they have to say and opening up options. Or kill Sis and effectively get locked out of being buddies with Albatross. Not to mention Shaheed, though he's the most obvious of the characters who tries to tell you that there's a bigger plot going on. Then there are all the dossiers - just Mina's will let you figure out that she's likely working for the NSA, and the full dossier will reveal that she was the one that burned you.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Another issue with games that are intended to be replayed multiple times is that non-variable bits tend to really grate. Finding new obscure dialogue in Alpha Protocol or King of the Dragon Pass is fun, replaying Saudi Arabia or running Feathered Queen's marriage contests for the seventh time isn't.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ephemeron posted:

Another issue with games that are intended to be replayed multiple times is that non-variable bits tend to really grate. Finding new obscure dialogue in Alpha Protocol or King of the Dragon Pass is fun, replaying Saudi Arabia or running Feathered Queen's marriage contests for the seventh time isn't.

A friend of mine quit in the middle of Saudi Arabia. We know it just appears to be a normal spy game, until the missiles get launched directly at you. I think the Saudi Arabia story was supposed to be compelling - you are going after a terrorist who has killed a bunch of civilians after all - and it's effectively a tutorial for the rest of the game. In retrospect it probably went on too long, and there needed to be a bit more variability other than conversations in the grey box. Maybe making it easier to get the "special missions" - especially Parker's, which shows that there is more going on in AP than you would expect.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah as much as it makes the whole thing more gamey, I think it's important feedback that they might not have been able to convey otherwise. :shrug:

In that vein, they should have disabled them for Recruit. Also, it would've been nice for them to have a character or two who just produce a "Reputation ?" instead of a concrete number. (Maybe Omen Deng; his role in the story is something of a reflection of Thorton's what with being a deep cover double agent and almost never really emoting.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Wait wait. Parker has a special mission in Saudi?

This game. This game never stops surprising me. :psyduck:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ThirdEmperor posted:

I might be wrong, but I think he referred to the graybox special mission where he tells you to backtrack and fetch him some documents.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ThirdEmperor posted:

No, in the greybox. If he respects you, he'll ask you to go retrieve a folder from the room where you woke up. The code name of the file, by the way, is the exact same name that Surkov tells you about if you confront him, ones that incriminate Halbech. Which opens the question, why did Parker want files that incriminate Halbech?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

Even playing it twice (and playing it differently) would give people a flavor of what is possible. I'm curious how many people outright kill Brayko and Deng, instead of listening to what they have to say and opening up options. Or kill Sis and effectively get locked out of being buddies with Albatross. Not to mention Shaheed, though he's the most obvious of the characters who tries to tell you that there's a bigger plot going on. Then there are all the dossiers - just Mina's will let you figure out that she's likely working for the NSA, and the full dossier will reveal that she was the one that burned you.

I finished a playthrough last night were I played the game and my roommate chose the dialogue options. He killed everyone as soon as the option was available and had a very limited slate of options for the last level. Most surprising was the fact that when we contacted Parker in the Graybox in the end, it was the first time we had seen him all game. Parker comes on and says like "why the hell are you even calling me". Neat moment

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Playing through as a shotgun wielding psychopath rookie for my second run. Last time was all pistols and punching all the time, so this should be interesting. I've noticed that I'm triggering a lot less alarms than I thought I would. I guess I've just been taking dudes out quick enough before they have time to radio in/find an alarm box, which is neat. I thought alerts were triggered as soon as you were spotted.

I just got to Moscow, and choosing the headslam option in the bar was a lot more violent than I was expecting. Still didn't stop me from losing it at the wodka comment, though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

monster on a stick posted:

No, in the greybox. If he respects you, he'll ask you to go retrieve a folder from the room where you woke up. The code name of the file, by the way, is the exact same name that Surkov tells you about if you confront him, ones that incriminate Halbech. Which opens the question, why did Parker want files that incriminate Halbech?

Just in case you don't know, every trainer has a special greybox mission if you score high enough on their test.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Great Lakes Log posted:

I finished a playthrough last night were I played the game and my roommate chose the dialogue options. He killed everyone as soon as the option was available and had a very limited slate of options for the last level. Most surprising was the fact that when we contacted Parker in the Graybox in the end, it was the first time we had seen him all game. Parker comes on and says like "why the hell are you even calling me". Neat moment

I never realized you could beat the game without meeting Parker but it totally makes sense, given the option to blow off the training missions. I've never done it because I'm anal retentive about missing content, but drat.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Soonmot posted:

Just in case you don't know, every trainer has a special greybox mission if you score high enough on their test.
Well, eh. Parker's is the only one I'd really call a 'mission.'

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
"Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to shoot Darcy in the nuts."

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Dr. Stab posted:

"Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to shoot Darcy in the nuts."

Best part of the game and one I always go for. It's even better if you do it before Darcy's gadget tutorial.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

AG3 posted:

Best part of the game and one I always go for. It's even better if you do it before Darcy's gadget tutorial.

Remind me again, he has a bit of a grump doesn't he?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I've never done well enough on that test to get the follow up, and Ive never seen Yancy after the beginning of the game. No idea how you see him again. Nor have I ever been offered the chance to work for Halbech. after probably 8 playthroughs.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
An easy way to encounter Yancy at the end of the game: tell Shaheed that you are willing to betray the US government. I'm not sure what else triggers it but I'm pretty sure that does. As for Leland, keep giving him professional responses and things you think he'll like to hear. Taking his job offer is well worth it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

2house2fly posted:

An easy way to encounter Yancy at the end of the game: tell Shaheed that you are willing to betray the US government. I'm not sure what else triggers it but I'm pretty sure that does. As for Leland, keep giving him professional responses and things you think he'll like to hear. Taking his job offer is well worth it.

You can also kill US agents when given the opportunity - the CIA officers at the Rome listening post, Gelato Man, or the guards/soldiers at the Moscow Embassy. I'm pretty sure Yancy will always show up to finish the job if that happens, no matter what you tell Shaheed. Killing US agents also upsets Mina which can be interesting, especially if you take Leland up on his offer.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I still need to replay this game one day so I can kill everyone off and betray Leland so me and my best buddy Heck can ride off into the sunset with all the swag.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
drat it, I'm about to replay this game as Shotgun rear end in a top hat Thorton, aren't I? :allears:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Riven posted:

Nor have I ever been offered the chance to work for Halbech. after probably 8 playthroughs.
You need to have a positive relationship with Leland for that to happen.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Riven posted:

I've never done well enough on that test to get the follow up, and Ive never seen Yancy after the beginning of the game. No idea how you see him again. Nor have I ever been offered the chance to work for Halbech. after probably 8 playthroughs.

People mention killing Americans and all that, but I think the biggest factor is siding with Halbech, which by default makes the endboss not Leland, so it defaults to Westridge instead. Unless there's a scenario were you fight no endboss (and I wouldn't put it past this game) I'm pretty sure that overrides all other decisions.

Also, it's pretty easy to be offered a position with Halbech if you play it professional with Leland and deny everything he asks. He respects that, for some reason

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Leland's tricky, he likes it if you know how to keep your mouth shut, but he also likes a bit of arrogance and if you share his realpolitik views.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

How do you exactly piss off Leland though? I never figured that out.

theshim
May 1, 2012

BioMe posted:

How do you exactly piss off Leland though? I never figured that out.
Being uniformly sarcastic gets him riled up nicely.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Mistikman posted:

People seem to be talking about Alpha Protocol as if you have some massive control of the arc of the story. You really don't, and I don't think that's a failing. In AP the story will follow the same basic arc no matter what you do, with the very ending changing based on choices, but otherwise the story unfolds the same every time.

The bad guys have several plots in motion prior to your involvement, but you can change them drastically. You're always going to head to Rome, Moscow and Taipei to stop those, but you can finish the game with all those plots being foiled or being allowed to be executed. You can finish Moscow with Michael not knowing what the hell really happened there, you can leave Taipei being hated by everyone and framed for the assassination, you can finish Rome going rogue and killing American CIA/NSA agents or letting Marburg bomb the museum.

That is a lot of story that can change that isn't just a different ending.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I prefer to side with Leland(and then betray him) but one thing I really like about not doing so is the bit where Mike asks "Who was the mole?" and Leland says "who wasn't the mole?" It made me feel extra betrayed because on my first playthrough I thought it was one of the team (possibly different based on your reputation, which would have been awesome) and took forever to get that Alpha Protocol was entirely compromised.

Also
"I'm going to kill you.
"Funny."
"Not really."
"

Also Scarlet's surprise last-minute entrance, though it doesn't make a lot of sense if Sung dies, since apparently Mike still cost her the contract somehow. It's the perfect way to find out she was the assassin though, and of course getting Steven Heck to take her out is icing on the cake. "Pretty classy, I thought."

OK maybe I don't prefer siding with Leland.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Pissing off Albatross so much that he is your rescuer for the final mission is probably my favourite thing about the game. Never done it myself, but seeing videos of it... drat!

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012
I'm replaying this after a few years. I remembered pistols are way overpowered and put most of my AP into it so far and it's getting really annoying that I end up getting shot a couple times while doing chain shot - I have 45 seconds unable to move while everyone takes (albeit slower) potshots. Is there any way to end chain shot early without just unloading half my ammo on random mooks?

edit: just got killed by an unarmored security guard I basically took out 40 seconds earlier. Guess I shouldn't use this skill so much and just learn to aim better.

Abitha Denton fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 23, 2013

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I believe that once you assign all shots it ends. So just plug 5 in his noggin.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Riven posted:

I believe that once you assign all shots it ends. So just plug 5 in his noggin.

But but but my ammo hoard! :qq:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Abitha Denton posted:

I'm replaying this after a few years. I remembered pistols are way overpowered and put most of my AP into it so far and it's getting really annoying that I end up getting shot a couple times while doing chain shot - I have 45 seconds unable to move while everyone takes (albeit slower) potshots. Is there any way to end chain shot early without just unloading half my ammo on random mooks?

edit: just got killed by an unarmored security guard I basically took out 40 seconds earlier. Guess I shouldn't use this skill so much and just learn to aim better.
E.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's meant to be used with Stealth. Sneak into a room, pop out of cover, quickly activate Chain Shot. Five guys will be dead before they can even finish drawing their weapons.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Only works if I haven't fired any bullets yet. I started in hard mode because I am stupid, maybe that's it?

Anyway I had no idea you could taunt Stephen Heck with Time Cube jokes. This game is fantastic.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I took the Brayko option.

"Your bodyguard is earning gold medal in dying."

My god, this game. :allears:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Abitha Denton posted:

Only works if I haven't fired any bullets yet. I started in hard mode because I am stupid, maybe that's it?

Anyway I had no idea you could taunt Stephen Heck with Time Cube jokes. This game is fantastic.

Oh god, yes. Do not play hard mode. Ever. I actually enjoy the combat in this game, but hard mode is needlessly annoying.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
So I just bought a cheap PS3. Played this a million times on PC but can't now for reasons. Picked this up for $4 from GameStop, and I seem to remember there being issues on PS3, or am I making that up?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
It's a testament to how underrated this game is that the thread is still talking about it what, 3 years later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Talorat posted:

It's a testament to how underrated this game is that the thread is still talking about it what, 3 years later?

Speaking of which....

The game is set to go on sale for Amazon's black friday sale, I got 2 quick questions...

1) Alpha Protocol is region blocked in South Korea, if I buy the key from Amazon and plug it into my Steam account will it work ok?

and

2) Anything I really need to know for a totally blind first play through? The game's premise sounds really awesome and I want to experience the game, but I don't want to screw myself or lower my enjoyment of it unduly first time around.

• Locked thread