Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Not sure about the neck, but you could call Gibson. Black Friday is next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Jacks can just get loose where the layers come together too they are just pressed together. Years of having things inserted and pulled out can take its toll. A quality jack is a cheap fix.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Well my good deal from Guitar Center is a bust(Full story a few pages back... TL:DR version: Guitarcenter.com price matched me on a deal a found online from a sketchy site ).

Guitar came today, but it wasn't in the retail box, it was just bubbled wrapped and stuck in a generic box. The plastic on the pickguard was gone too, so I know it's not a "new" guitar. The best part is the pickup toggle is cutting in and out.

Other than that, the guitar looks perfect. No scratches or dings or anything, and sounds amazing.

I can't decide if I should just fix the toggle, return it, or ask them to send me an actual new one.

Sidenote: the pickup switching is loving weird on this guitar, I'm pretty sure the middle and bridge position on the 3 way toggle are the same, both middle and bride at once. at least I can't hear any difference. I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere, or even any info on this model, anywhere.

Reference:

How hard would it be to change it to a 5 way rotary toggle? I am pretty bad with electronics, but I imagine I could probably figure it out.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Dirt posted:

Well my good deal from Guitar Center is a bust(Full story a few pages back... TL:DR version: Guitarcenter.com price matched me on a deal a found online from a sketchy site ).

Guitar came today, but it wasn't in the retail box, it was just bubbled wrapped and stuck in a generic box. The plastic on the pickguard was gone too, so I know it's not a "new" guitar. The best part is the pickup toggle is cutting in and out.

Other than that, the guitar looks perfect. No scratches or dings or anything, and sounds amazing.

I can't decide if I should just fix the toggle, return it, or ask them to send me an actual new one.

Sidenote: the pickup switching is loving weird on this guitar, I'm pretty sure the middle and bridge position on the 3 way toggle are the same, both middle and bride at once. at least I can't hear any difference. I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere, or even any info on this model, anywhere.

Reference:

How hard would it be to change it to a 5 way rotary toggle? I am pretty bad with electronics, but I imagine I could probably figure it out.

Good to know that Guitar Center is still the worst.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

nrr posted:

Also, here's what got me when I was looking for my LP originally. I wasn't a big fan of either the fat 50's style neck, or the thin 60's style neck, but ended up falling in love with what I think is a combination of the two. At the time, the only LP I could find it on (that wasn't a $5k custom shop,) was a 2008 Standard. Looking on the Gibson website, they just call it an "Asymetrical neck," but looking at the details on the LPs on Sweetwater, some of them are listed as 60's Slim Tapered, some of them say Asymetrical 60's Slim Tapered. Is there a difference? Is the Asymetrical 60's Slim Tapered even the one I want, or is that just another name for the regular 60's slim neck?

Asymmetrical necks aren't the same as regular necks. Basically the back of the neck is at an angle that is supposed to curve to your hand better than the standard 'C' shape. Here's a handy image:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Uh oh I think I want to end up with a '13 SG standard because reasons/they're cheap!

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Side Effects posted:

Asymmetrical necks aren't the same as regular necks. Basically the back of the neck is at an angle that is supposed to curve to your hand better than the standard 'C' shape. Here's a handy image:

Yeah, exactly. Thing is though, the 50s neck is the larger, "C" shaped, "baseball bat" neck. Whatever you want to call it. Things fat. The 60s neck is the slimmer, more common style "D" shaped neck. They're both even though. "Regular." The asymmetrical neck is, like in the picture above, kind of an uneven mix between the two, but it's just called the asymmetrical neck.

So like you said, asymmetrical necks aren't the same as a regular neck, so what the hell is an "asymmetrical 60s neck" then? I've never heard of it. Is it just another name for the standard asymmetrical? Is it a different type of asymmetrical neck that's slimmer? Is it just a dumb misprint? Because all the cut/paste writeups mention 60s slim taper neck, but then in the specs, only some of them say asymmetrical 60s neck, while some of them just say 60s neck. The 60s and the asymmetrical are different types of neck profile so "60s asymmetrical" makes no sense to me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Wouldn't it be an asymmetrical variation on the standard 60's profile? Something like this

So it's the same thickness (for the 'normal' ones anyway), it's just that the fattest point is offset more towards the bass side. I don't know exactly what that would feel like, but that's what I'd assume anyway

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
OK I'm seriously considering being a really bad boy and buying a Gibson SG Future Tribute in Vintage Sunburst. http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-SGTRF-LIST

Will I regret this?

e: welp, I went for it anyway. They have a warehouse near me so I should be getting it on like Tuesday

TopherCStone fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 23, 2013

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

TopherCStone posted:

OK I'm seriously considering being a really bad boy and buying a Gibson SG Future Tribute in Vintage Sunburst. http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-SGTRF-LIST

Will I regret this?

e: welp, I went for it anyway. They have a warehouse near me so I should be getting it on like Tuesday

I find the lack of tuning keys on those Gibsons......... disconcerting. Let us know how weird, or not it looks in person.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

HollisBrown posted:

I find the lack of tuning keys on those Gibsons......... disconcerting. Let us know how weird, or not it looks in person.

I think it looks pretty neat and if they're anything like the ones they put on Firebirds sometimes they're pretty cool. I've only touched them once but they seemed great. I'll definitely post some impressions and real world pictures when it comes in.

Is it ok to post a link to my SA Mart thread in here? I'm not sure if it belongs in the trades thread.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

TopherCStone posted:

Will I regret this?

Let us know what you think. I had a first one 60's Tribute. P90s. It was pretty solid. They put binding and better pickups on it and sold it as the Pete Townshend Anniversary :P.

Have heard different things about the Latest batch.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I need the help of some Squire aficionados.

I'm going to get a Squire Stratocaster, but I'm not sure which version I want. I've tried a Bullet, Affinity, and some others, and what I like most about the ones I've played is the satin-type finish on the neck. I don't really care for a gloss neck. I'm not exactly sure which ones have a satin finish on the neck, though. I don't want to spend a ton on it, as I will probably end up replacing the pickups with some GFS pickups, but really, it depends on how the stock pickups are. I'm thinking about $300 at the most.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Koth posted:

I'm going to get a Squire Stratocaster, but I'm not sure which version I want. I've tried a Bullet, Affinity, and some others, and what I like most about the ones I've played is the satin-type finish on the neck. I don't really care for a gloss neck. I'm not exactly sure which ones have a satin finish on the neck, though. I don't want to spend a ton on it, as I will probably end up replacing the pickups with some GFS pickups, but really, it depends on how the stock pickups are. I'm thinking about $300 at the most.

Bullets have a satin neck and I actually really like them. Be warned that the body is thinner than others so if you ever decide to upgrade the trem block the plastic trem cover on the back might not fit anymore

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
I don't think anybody prefers the gloss neck.

But satin neck has become like a feature- I think all Fender-Fenders now do satin on the back of the neck regardless of whats going on with the fretboard.

However, if you got gloss on the back then you can't just sand it down- it's there to protect the wood.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You can sand it down as long as you don't go through the sealer, and you'll bring it to a matte finish loooooooong before you get through the sealant layer.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

TopherCStone posted:

Bullets have a satin neck and I actually really like them. Be warned that the body is thinner than others so if you ever decide to upgrade the trem block the plastic trem cover on the back might not fit anymore

Thanks, I didn't know that about the thinner bodies. I do plan to block the trem with whatever model I end up with. I have no use for a tremolo. I wonder how that would effect the Bullet being that it has a thinner body.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

TopherCStone posted:

Will I regret this?

57's and Steinberg tuners? How could that possibly go wrong?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How are 57s?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

muike posted:

You can sand it down as long as you don't go through the sealer, and you'll bring it to a matte finish loooooooong before you get through the sealant layer.

#0000 steel wool fixes it right up. Takes two minutes and you can buff it right back to shiny if you decide you hate it.

Koth posted:

I'd keep an eye out for some of Squier's VM or CV stuff going on sale for Black Friday/assorted Christmas sales. The stock Duncan Designed in those are actually really solid pickups, on par with GFS in a lot of cases (unless you have a specific sound in your head, in which case the DDs can sound a bit generic). You may have to check the wiring; I got a VM Jazzmaster with a bad jack recently but for the most part they're super solid out of the box.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
I got a Les Paul Signature T a few months ago and despised those pickups. Not sure if they're overwound in that particular guitar (I couldn't find any meaningful specs anywhere), but it just didn't matter how hard I picked or how the knobs were set, it sounded like I was using fuzz and a compressor the entire time. Replaced with Bare Knuckle Mules, and now it's a great guitar (light touch cleans up a bit, hard picking gets more output, yay).

I have the 490/498 combo in my SG, and I like those way more than the 57s.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Declan MacManus posted:

#0000 steel wool fixes it right up. Takes two minutes and you can buff it right back to shiny if you decide you hate it.

I'd keep an eye out for some of Squier's VM or CV stuff going on sale for Black Friday/assorted Christmas sales. The stock Duncan Designed in those are actually really solid pickups, on par with GFS in a lot of cases (unless you have a specific sound in your head, in which case the DDs can sound a bit generic). You may have to check the wiring; I got a VM Jazzmaster with a bad jack recently but for the most part they're super solid out of the box.

I've got a scotch-brite scrubbing pad I use for it. It's so bad in the powerglove way

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Professor Science posted:

I got a Les Paul Signature T a few months ago and despised those pickups. Not sure if they're overwound in that particular guitar (I couldn't find any meaningful specs anywhere), but it just didn't matter how hard I picked or how the knobs were set, it sounded like I was using fuzz and a compressor the entire time. Replaced with Bare Knuckle Mules, and now it's a great guitar (light touch cleans up a bit, hard picking gets more output, yay).

Interesting, thanks. Did you mess with the pickup levels on the 57s? I've heard slight adjustment can cause massive changes in the tone and dynamics with them.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Kilometers Davis posted:

Interesting, thanks. Did you mess with the pickup levels on the 57s? I've heard slight adjustment can cause massive changes in the tone and dynamics with them.
yeah, tried several times, my inability to get anything decent with that was what led me to replace them. the neck was incredibly bass-heavy and boomy, the bridge was thin and fuzzy, and they didn't pair well. your mileage may vary, obviously, but I couldn't possibly be happier with the pickups I put in.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

muike posted:

I've got a mahogany neck from Warmoth and the satin finish eventually wears down to glossy from playing; I hope to sand through the finish some time this decade maybe? Even with maple if the thing has stayed unbowed after years and years you're probably OK to have it unfinished eventually, so long as you make sure it gets protected periodically with lemon oil or what-not

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Gunstock wax is the way to go if you like glossy finishes. It's like an ice rink but instead of figure 8s you do crazy interval leaps.

E: nothing with silicon in it, though, that poo poo gets gummy

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Declan MacManus posted:

Gunstock wax is the way to go if you like glossy finishes. It's like an ice rink but instead of figure 8s you do crazy interval leaps.

E: nothing with silicon in it, though, that poo poo gets gummy

Do you mean like Tru-Oil or something else?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Schlieren posted:

Even with maple if the thing has stayed unbowed after years and years you're probably OK to have it unfinished eventually, so long as you make sure it gets protected periodically with lemon oil or what-not

If you're gonna go for the raw feel, a couple coats of tung oil knocked down with #0000 steel wool does the trick while not having to worry about maintenance or humidity changes.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The guys I play with tune to 432hz. I've never really futzed around with stuff like that (normally went by Eb, D, etc). Is there a particular reason? I didn't really ask why they did, just nodded and dropped everything accordingly.

I assume it's just for a slightly heavier sound?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Some think it makes harmonics stronger. A=432hz has to do with pythagorean tuning, but that doesn't work with a 12-TET fretboard, so all they're doing is just tuning down a few cent.

e: fun fact earlier pitch pipes were all over the place with A anywhere from 380 to 480hz, and 440 wasn't standardized as concert pitch until the early 20th century, and some orchestras and ensembles still tune to 442 or 443.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 25, 2013

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I just picked up a very cool old Peavey 212 cabinet. Looks like this

I also found a Peavey of the same era, but it's a 215 and it's loaded with Eminence Big Bens...

And I'm very tempted to go get it. The seller is only asking $150

How idiotic would this be? It'd make for such a cool stack, and I'd be running them with a Peavey VTM120 that absolutely roars.

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

Sockington posted:

The guys I play with tune to 432hz. I've never really futzed around with stuff like that (normally went by Eb, D, etc). Is there a particular reason? I didn't really ask why they did, just nodded and dropped everything accordingly.

I assume it's just for a slightly heavier sound?

They're trying to heal their body and spirit, maaaan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7kF47qRkmA

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

comes along bort posted:

Some think it makes harmonics stronger. A=432hz has to do with pythagorean tuning, but that doesn't work with a 12-TET fretboard, so all they're doing is just tuning down a few cent.

e: fun fact earlier pitch pipes were all over the place with A anywhere from 380 to 480hz, and 440 wasn't standardized as concert pitch until the early 20th century, and some orchestras and ensembles still tune to 442 or 443.

Yeah, I saw some documentary years ago that talked a bit about not just reference pitch, but the standarization of actual intervals between notes as well that didn't happen until hunderds of years ago. Then they showed what was I think a remote South American village that had been completely isolated from any kind of standardized music, but still had some similar instruments and the whole town was hilariously jamming away and dancing down the street having the time of their lives to one of the most hideous tunes I've ever heard.

Of course what sounds terrible to us, sounds perfectly in tune and normal to them because it's the only tuning they've ever known. I can only imagine how hilariously terrible literally everything we consider to be the cornerstones and pinnacles of music would sound to them.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Hypnolobster posted:

I just picked up a very cool old Peavey 212 cabinet. Looks like this

I also found a Peavey of the same era, but it's a 215 and it's loaded with Eminence Big Bens...

How idiotic would this be? It'd make for such a cool stack, and I'd be running them with a Peavey VTM120 that absolutely roars.

The two eminence big bens are worth more than $150 alone. They're great drivers.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Does anybody want to collaborate on a submission for the GBS Christmas album thread? I kind of want to do a xenochrony kind of thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenochrony
Basically we each play something and then cram them together then put some christmas lyrics on the top

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Professor Science posted:

Opposite for me. 57s are classic wind, so not overwound. I think they're around 7k, which is my sweet spot. Less than Burst Buckers, actually, which are in the Tweedy.

I haven't liked the 490's in anything. Had them in an SG for a while.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hypnolobster posted:

That would make a great doom setup.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

nrr posted:

Yeah, I saw some documentary years ago that talked a bit about not just reference pitch, but the standarization of actual intervals between notes as well that didn't happen until hunderds of years ago. Then they showed what was I think a remote South American village that had been completely isolated from any kind of standardized music, but still had some similar instruments and the whole town was hilariously jamming away and dancing down the street having the time of their lives to one of the most hideous tunes I've ever heard.

Of course what sounds terrible to us, sounds perfectly in tune and normal to them because it's the only tuning they've ever known. I can only imagine how hilariously terrible literally everything we consider to be the cornerstones and pinnacles of music would sound to them.

I need to see this.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

TopherCStone posted:

Do you mean like Tru-Oil or something else?

Tru-Oil works but it can take a while to dry. Any sort of linseed or tung oil will typically work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

TopherCStone posted:

Does anybody want to collaborate on a submission for the GBS Christmas album thread? I kind of want to do a xenochrony kind of thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenochrony
Basically we each play something and then cram them together then put some christmas lyrics on the top

I would love to do this!