Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

GOD IS BED posted:

I have a 2011 NC2 and have had no trouble with the PRHT except for the roll bar problem mentioned above. If you don't have plans to track it, then you will probably enjoy the setup. I autox mine and haven't noticed a huge handicap from the extra weight.
I love my NC, it's the greatest car I've ever owned. Every drive is nirvana for a wannabe racer like myself.

Does PHRT provide any rollover protection at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

It could be as simple as 147,000 mile plugs and wires. Maybe a fuel filter?

EDIT:Just saw that the seller was quoted $250 to fix it so maybe cam sensor?

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 23, 2013

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

GOD IS BED posted:

I have a 2011 NC2 and have had no trouble with the PRHT except for the roll bar problem mentioned above. If you don't have plans to track it, then you will probably enjoy the setup. I autox mine and haven't noticed a huge handicap from the extra weight.
I love my NC, it's the greatest car I've ever owned. Every drive is nirvana for a wannabe racer like myself.
I'm a complete novice to the world of motorsports. I don't plan to get any track experience but would like to learn to autocross eventually.

I've yet to actually drive a Miata for myself (which I should test drive real soon..,) but I've just been perusing through craigslist and Mazda's CPO site. A black 2012 PRHT GT popped up recently, and god drat does it look slick... but for the money, I could also get an FR-S (:can:). Decisions, decisions...

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

8th-snype posted:

It could be as simple as 147,000 mile plugs and wires. Maybe a fuel filter?

EDIT:Just saw that the seller was quoted $250 to fix it so maybe cam sensor?

Cam sensor would give chugging throughout the rev range though, right?

It sounds like his 'mechanic' is trying to take him to the cleaners for a typical tune-up; "I have no time to deal with the spark plug issues and taking it to a shop. I got quoted 250 for the fix."

Could be as simple as a tune-up, probably would be able to squeeze the answer out of him, or ask his mechanic.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'd guess plugs and wires, only because chugging under WOT was what mine started to do. Specifically in higher gear / low RPM (i.e. foot down in 5th at 2k RPM) would be the most pronounced, mainly because I was through the rev range too quickly in the other gears to really notice it. It got progressively worse until it was throughout the rev range, and completely went away with plugs/wires.

I need to do the fuel filter on mine, no idea if it's ever been done. Which means it likely hasn't.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Mine spent about 5 minutes doing that until the coil pack died, but I have no idea if it's more common for them to spend weeks/months being horrid before dying or going from fine to just-stranded-you-in-a-busy-roundabout in record time like mine did.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
This reminds me, my NA can hesitate a little bit when I tap the throttle.

If it's idling I can get the RPMs to dip significantly if I tap the throttle in just the right rhythm :raise:

It's not a major problem, just a hesitation i've noticed when putting my foot down. Anyone recognise the cause?

meltie fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 23, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blk posted:

Does PHRT provide any rollover protection at all?

Not enough to be rallycross or track legal. I wouldn't count on anything active like the Volvo convertibles.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Anyone know any good "Defenses" for when your coworkers make fun of your car calling it a "child's car" and a "go=cart"? Thanks.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

Anyone know any good "Defenses" for when your coworkers make fun of your car calling it a "child's car" and a "go=cart"? Thanks.

There are none. Your coworkers are correct and you should hang your head in shame.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Meet up with them after work to challenge the mountain. :getin:

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

krnhotwings posted:

I'm a complete novice to the world of motorsports. I don't plan to get any track experience but would like to learn to autocross eventually.

I've yet to actually drive a Miata for myself (which I should test drive real soon..,) but I've just been perusing through craigslist and Mazda's CPO site. A black 2012 PRHT GT popped up recently, and god drat does it look slick... but for the money, I could also get an FR-S (:can:). Decisions, decisions...

I would say that the decision will come down to how much you love convertibles. Having an open roof on a great day is a great justification for an MX-5 over an FR-S or Genesis Coupe (or a Mustang or 370Z, for handling), but I can understand if other things are a priority. The inability to fit a rollbar almost guarantees I will trade in my Miata someday, but until then, autox cones beware!
(PRHT has no rollover protection other than the standard roll bars all stock miatas have.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Change professions? If you own a Miata beauticians college gives you a pretty good discount.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Self confidence? See: my avatar :v:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

What do they drive? I always prefer to escalate arguments, and we can help you with some comebacks to insult their cars.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Go take them around a freeway onramp/interchange and scare the poo poo out of them.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

Go take them around a freeway onramp/interchange and scare the poo poo out of them.

Do this. There was one guy at work who always seemed to joke about it, so next time we went out to grab lunch I drove, and took a road that's usually empty, with a relatively tight 90 degree left that had completely clear sight lines.

Needless to say, I slide around that corner all the time, so I did this time. Scared the poo poo out of him, and he's looking at buying an NC next summer :v:

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

GOD IS BED posted:

I would say that the decision will come down to how much you love convertibles. Having an open roof on a great day is a great justification for an MX-5 over an FR-S or Genesis Coupe (or a Mustang or 370Z, for handling), but I can understand if other things are a priority. The inability to fit a rollbar almost guarantees I will trade in my Miata someday, but until then, autox cones beware!
(PRHT has no rollover protection other than the standard roll bars all stock miatas have.)
To me, the fun factor is the highest priority. I live in California, so there's plenty of great weather to be had. :cool: Hmmm.. and it seems that new '13 Clubs are being sold for less than the CPO that I was looking at. I assume that there are no roll bar issues for the soft tops like the hard tops?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
No, you can get a rollbar under the softtop on an NC.

My coworker is picking up a BRZ, and I'm curious to compare it to the NC Miata. One of the automags did a Club NC vs a FR-S, and the consensus seemed to be that both cars are extremely fun to toss into a corner; however, the NC has a "lower barrier" to having the same feeling of satisfaction in a corner. I.e. - an NC feels lively and you can feel that you really nailed something at 45mph, whereas in order to get the same feeling in the Toyobaru, you'd have to go 70mph to get the same feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDYaSwd4mmk

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I posted part of this in the Awesome poo poo thread, but both leica and IOC wanted me to also post it here, and I am! Now with more details.

So I'll start with the thread that's public on MT, and I'll disclose some of the emails I've sent back and forth with my friend:

Miatatimbo posted:

Hi Everyone,
There are a few people running VVT motors in NA miatas here so I thought I would post this even though it isn't turbo related. I have been working on a 3d printed intake duct that draws in ambient air from the front bumper (similar to the joefis intake).

Basic specs for the intake:
*Inlet side has an ID of 65mm, the exit of the intake has an ID of 67mm.

*The total intake tract length from the tip of the duct to the throttle body ends up being about 26" with the ability to shorten the intake by about 2 inches on the inlet side. This is slightly longer than I had hoped, I may end up making a new design that wraps at a different angle for a shorter length.

*The area of any given cross section from the intake should only deviate by a few percent.

*This cost me $35 to print in ABS plastic using a local printer found on MakeXYZ. I can direct people to him if they are interested.

I am uploading the 3d model for people to print their own versions or make alterations to. If you do print one, I would suggest you user either ABS or nylon. PLA will likely fail at these temps. Also, I am considering this a prototype so far. I have been talking with the printer about doing a very thin walled version in PLA, then fiberglass over top, and then solvent melting the PLA away from the model. The ABS version appears to be fine in the short term. The plastic doesn't melt or deform from the heat, but I think getting heat cycled it will eventually become brittle and break.

Dunning Kruger Affect is going to A/B dyno test this over the winter. The part is designed for auto-x where you will be idling in grid with no airflow before launching. My hope is that directly drawing in ambient air will help with IATs at the start of a run.

I am linking to a large image showing the design and construction process. Note that this is printed in several sections and I had the printer focus all finishing efforts on the interior surface. The exterior has not been heavily sanded or vapor treated. Also, that isn't tape at the joints, it's solvent bonded ABS wrap.

Link

So his idea was to basically homebrew a Joefis' Racing style CAI, but for a fraction of the cost:

Here are some shots of the green prototype that he got back from the 3D printer:

And here's a graph showing the area cross section in mm^2 at 14 different points:

He's making the files free to download, you just need to send it off to get printed, smooth it out with acetone, and bond it. When I get my car retuned over winter, I'm going to do some testing with my hot air intake (2.75" to 3" elbow, cross over to an AEM Dryflow near the driver's shock tower) versus this one. Emilio from 949racing did a bunch of dyno testing with air intake lengths and found that 19-21" is optimal; he does a 180 degree bend to keep the air filter on the intake side of the engine. It should be really interesting and I'm excited.

He also said that he's ordered a nylon sample from Shapeways to see if it'll work. It'll be significantly more expensive to print, but it should be stronger and an option for some people.

tl;dr: the future is here.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Next step: Download the whole car.

Might have to do this, really cool stuff.

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
I am the guy making the intake. I put up an updated file this morning. I also have my elbow, couplers, and filter on their way to me so I will very soon be able to give some info on fitting those parts.

Direct link to 3d file:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:189320

Also, is thingiverse the primary repository for FDM models? Is there something else more popular/ maybe not owned by makerbot?

asmasm fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 26, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Are there any easy gauge replacements for the NB? White gauge faces are the worst trend of the late 90s/early 2000s.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Phone posted:

No, you can get a rollbar under the softtop on an NC.

My coworker is picking up a BRZ, and I'm curious to compare it to the NC Miata. One of the automags did a Club NC vs a FR-S, and the consensus seemed to be that both cars are extremely fun to toss into a corner; however, the NC has a "lower barrier" to having the same feeling of satisfaction in a corner. I.e. - an NC feels lively and you can feel that you really nailed something at 45mph, whereas in order to get the same feeling in the Toyobaru, you'd have to go 70mph to get the same feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDYaSwd4mmk

Honestly, they're both great cars and the only reason to buy one over the other is if you need rear seats or prefer a convertible.

The BRZ/FRS is definitely much bigger than the NA/NB though.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I finally bought a new top. Just a cheapie vinyl XT top. But it won't leak nearly as much as the duct-taped abomination I currently have.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
Ok Miata friends, I have been looking for one for a long time, and I may have found one that looks decent. The link is below,

http://www.albaumann.com/VehicleDetails/used-1996-Mazda-Miata-MX_5-Fremont-OH/2123905883

The description calls it as a black M-Edition, but the M came in a dark blue that year. The handles on the shifter/parking brake are not M edition either. No carfax up either is making my alarms ring a little, but the car looks pretty decent and it is the year I have been looking for. Would someone with a little more knowledge help me out on this one? I am going to call them tommorrow, but I am not counting on the salesman to actually know a thing about this car, let alone to know what a LSD is. Thanks for any help!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's not an M edition.

Price is a bit steep, although I don't know the current OH market but it's also winter and prices should be less as a result. I'd offer them 5k at the most and then sell the hard top for 1k if you don't need/want it, and you have a really nice Miata for 4k.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 2, 2013

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
If Autotrader/Craigslist is any indicator of the NW Ohio market, Miata's will sit on lots forever. If it is not a total rust bucket, I was going to try around 4k. It looks like it has been an Ohio car its whole life, the rust could be hiding underneath.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
On a '96 power mirrors imply LSD, and that one has power mirrors (and leather for that matter), so assuming somebody hasn't messed around with it, it should have the LSD. This handy-dandy table will help you: http://www.miata.net/faq/Miata90-97A3.pdf

The price is high considering the rust that may be hiding there (but maybe there is none!)

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
Thank you for the help, I had seen that chart before but I could not find it last night. Hopefully the underbody is not covered in rust.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The rockers are the main problems, if you see any bubbling in the rockers right in front of the rear tires walk away. Make sure you look underneath with a flashlight. If it's rust free I'd grab it, especially up north.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I made a mistake and looked up the price of new cam bolts.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I have a knocking, almost popping sound somewhere on my front end when turning the wheel for the first time, or randomly when going over a bump, especially while turning. Its too intermittent to describe well. Starting the car at the beginning of the day i'm likely to hear it as soon as the steering wheel is turned, than backing out of my parking lot i'm likely to hear it more loudly as i turn the wheel to change direction in reverse, after that rarely over bumps or even when setting off in a straight line, but it seems most attached to turning and weight shifting.

So i thought, obviously tie rods yes? Ball joints? Maybe a hub failing? The challenging part is that i've had the car up on a lift, and everything is rock solid. I grabbed and shook and checked everything for play, the whole front end seems in good order. Hell, the Car does 40+ miles a day without any driving issues other than the noise. I even checked the sway bar to see if it had disconnected (it hadnt) I suspect this issue could have been caused a few months ago when the boss took a joyride in my car and accidently jumped it out of a road construction crater, although the issue didnt develop until months afterword, and again the strange thing is that i cant find play or failure anywhere. Its a 1996 NA with adjustable coilovers and aftermarket sway bars. Have i missed something? Could it be the tie rods and ball joints if there isnt any sign of play or damage?

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 4, 2013

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Could it be the tie rods and ball joints if there isnt any sign of play or damage?

Sounds like Ball Joints.
When the car is on the ground, did you grab the front tire at 12 O'clock and shake it?

The right front ball joint failed in my 1992 Mazda Protege, collapsing the car into the street. It was basically as you've described while driving, but hard to replicate.
Wasn't until it failed that I was really sure.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Chriskory posted:

When the car is on the ground, did you grab the front tire at 12 O'clock and shake it?

Yes, no sign of any play, everything is solid. Now i think i might replace them just to be sure, "car collapsing" really is a scary thing :)

If i recall correctly, NA ball joints cant be replaced, right? You need to buy whole new A arms?

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
The lower ones are bolt-on. The uppers press into the arm, IIRC.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Maaaaaad skids

12345random
Mar 24, 2013
Nice. My NC is getting it's first taste of MN winters. The Blizzaks seem to help though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I have studded Winterforces on my car. gently caress the stupid ban on studs, there's glare ice everywhere here in the winters and I'm not going studless on that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Phone posted:

I made a mistake and looked up the price of new cam bolts.

For comparison: http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4548&parentid=0&stocknumber=36-06000

Edit: sorry I quoted the expensive ones :v: http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/CAMBER-BOLT-KIT-%28PKNAY9%252d28%252d6AZ%29.html

Viper915 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 7, 2013