Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If her head can change shape, why not just keep it in a regular lady head shape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Really Pants posted:

If her head can change shape, why not just keep it in a regular lady head shape?

Same reason Mystique runs around blue most of the time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fanservice?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I don't think her coloration is strictly fanservice, unless X-Men is bigger than I thought in Smurf Village.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SynthOrange posted:

(no clue on the source)

Defenders #33.

The MSJ posted:

"Most" of her is attractive? What a jerk thing to say. No wonder he's a villain.

This is after Chondu's brain has been put into Nighthawk's skull, so he's a little disoriented by his surroundings. (Nighthawk's brain was then put into a deer. Because why not.)

Edit: Upon further review of the story, that might not be Nighthawk's brain in the deer. It might be Chondu's. Or Valkyrie's husband's. I'm pretty sure Chondu's brain is in Nighthawk's body, even if Chondu's mind is in the deer and Valkyrie's husband's mind is in Chondu's brain.

Second edit: For anyone interested in Steve Gerber's Defenders, here's a set of interesting blog posts about them. (They're long, but worth it, I think.)

prefect fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 24, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

prefect posted:

(Nighthawk's brain was then put into a deer. Because why not DEFENDERS.)
'
The original run of Defenders is some of the weirdest comics of their decade. Hyperion craving vengeance because his world was destroyed because it was the first atom split by earth scientists, the Head Men, the very first Defenders adventure was against a giant vanity robot that would destroy all mankind after it finished a multipage monologue culminating with it shouting it's creators name.

That was defeated by Doctor Strange slowing it down in time, so that they could come back in the next millennium to actually solve the problem.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

Is it supposed to be cut off?

It actually goes on for a few more lines before being cut off, but yes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cabbit posted:

I don't think her coloration is strictly fanservice, unless X-Men is bigger than I thought in Smurf Village.
If Marvel wanted fanservice, they'd have Mystique running around naked like in the movies. Of course, they probably couldn't get away with having a blue chick with her butt out in the X-Men comics.
Um...er...

Generation Hope #12, by the way.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Honestly that comes across as less fanservice and more "people get naked with their loved ones/in the bedroom, grow up."

Which is fine by me, comicbooks could use a little growing up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mister Roboto posted:

Honestly that comes across as less fanservice and more "people get naked with their loved ones/in the bedroom, grow up."

I don't think they're a couple, and she's naked all the time.

And underage.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
unless that's a flashback mystique being underage is a big ol nope.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mister Roboto posted:

Nope, in fact I am pretty sure that character hates hope.
Though the fact you think that explains why its fanservey.

AkumaHokoru posted:

unless that's a flashback mystique being underage is a big ol nope.

That isn't mystique. She was one of the new mutants introduced after the birth of Hope.

I don't even think she is a shapeshifter.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 24, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

rockslide-sexualharassment.jpg goes here.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Here you go!

Generation Hope #12!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

"Here's a teen's blue butt."

"Ah, comics are finally growing up."

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Cabbit posted:

Tangentially:

( from Comics Should Be Good )

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Say Nothing posted:

Here you go!

Generation Hope #12!

This never ceases to be funny, I really wish Rockslide got more panel time.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That isn't mystique. She was one of the new mutants introduced after the birth of Hope.

I don't even think she is a shapeshifter.

She is but a very limited one as explained in the Rockslide page. She's a super fast flier and her body also changes shape as she goes beyond supersonic speeds... which is at least an elaborate explanation of why she's essentially a nude underage girl. That explanation sounded lees like an elaborate scheme to get away with being skeevy in my head.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 24, 2013

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

prefect posted:

Defenders #33.

This is after Chondu's brain has been put into Nighthawk's skull, so he's a little disoriented by his surroundings. (Nighthawk's brain was then put into a deer. Because why not.)

Edit: Upon further review of the story, that might not be Nighthawk's brain in the deer. It might be Chondu's. Or Valkyrie's husband's. I'm pretty sure Chondu's brain is in Nighthawk's body, even if Chondu's mind is in the deer and Valkyrie's husband's mind is in Chondu's brain.

Second edit: For anyone interested in Steve Gerber's Defenders, here's a set of interesting blog posts about them. (They're long, but worth it, I think.)

I just read this last month, so let me help: First, the Headmen put Chondu's brain in Nighthawk's body, and Nighthawk's brain in a jar. Then, Chondu-in-Nighthawk's body tried to infiltrate the Defenders, and failed. So the Defenders, once they realized the truth, had Dr. Strange do a mind-swap spell so that Jack Norris's mind was in Chondu's brain in Nighthawk's body, and Chondu's mind was in the deer, so that Jack could infiltrate the Headmen and find Nighthawk's brain.

The deer, incidentally, was in Dr. Strange's house because Hulk adopted it after its mother was shot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"Your mother was shot, let me give you a nice home"
"Hey Hulk, we're gonna put a super villain's mind into this deer"

Wow, everyone is such a dick to the Hulk.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Hulk just want to be left alone watch DVD of Bambi.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I just read this last month, so let me help: First, the Headmen put Chondu's brain in Nighthawk's body, and Nighthawk's brain in a jar. Then, Chondu-in-Nighthawk's body tried to infiltrate the Defenders, and failed. So the Defenders, once they realized the truth, had Dr. Strange do a mind-swap spell so that Jack Norris's mind was in Chondu's brain in Nighthawk's body, and Chondu's mind was in the deer, so that Jack could infiltrate the Headmen and find Nighthawk's brain.

The deer, incidentally, was in Dr. Strange's house because Hulk adopted it after its mother was shot.

So where did the Deer's mind go?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Deers don't have minds. More like small series of ganglia clusters that consist of basic actions like "Eat" "poo poo " Run into traffic"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Man how did I go this long not realizing how absolutely bonkers Defenders was? That's some G-Mo Doom Patrol level craziness there.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
This was the team that ended up accidentally recruiting every superhero (and villain) in New York when Valkyrie's beatnik college buddy was hired to create Defenders ad copy and went off script.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Think that was Dollar Bill (not the DC Watchmen version, more the useless Marvel version), a pre-hipster hipster. He made a documentary of the Defender's battles, sold it to a TV station, and at the end of the documentary said that since the Defenders was the greatest non-team, all you had to do was simply say in public 'I AM A DEFENDER' and boom, you're on the team. Then a whole bunch of people showed up at Richmond Riding Academy wanting in on the Defenders action.

The best part was Nighthawk kicking Dollar Bill out of the academy.

Edit: BTW, here's who showed up:

Defenders #62

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 24, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It was actually when they lived at Nighthawk's place. The best bit from that was having a dozen heroes hanging onto Hellcat's car as it slowly lurched towards a bank robbery.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Rhyno posted:

This never ceases to be funny, I really wish Rockslide got more panel time.

Rockslide is the best.

Uncanny X-Men #542

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

smashpro1 posted:

Rockslide is the best.

Uncanny X-Men #542

Huh, I recall a bit of dialog in that panel comparing the explosion to the one that kicked off Civil War. Perhaps I misremembered.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Choco1980 posted:

Man how did I go this long not realizing how absolutely bonkers Defenders was? That's some G-Mo Doom Patrol level craziness there.

I remember an interview once where Grant Morrison pointed out he had no idea how he had a reputation of writing "weird stories" when he could point to old comics where stuff routinely happened like Superman creating a miniature version of himself from his palm to fill in for him on heroic stuff, only the miniature version does such a good job that Superman has a nervous breakdown and needs to go into therapy to deal with being a failure.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jerusalem posted:

I remember an interview once where Grant Morrison pointed out he had no idea how he had a reputation of writing "weird stories" when he could point to old comics where stuff routinely happened like Superman creating a miniature version of himself from his palm to fill in for him on heroic stuff, only the miniature version does such a good job that Superman has a nervous breakdown and needs to go into therapy to deal with being a failure.

Morrison is obsessed with recursion, especially with things having smaller duplicates of itself. He took that tiny Superman story and did his own version for All-Star Superman # 10

An issue earlier someone accuses Superman of failing to free Kandor from its bottle. Superman's scientist friend offers to visit the city and inject some new ideas into an old, stagnant culture. It makes a lot of sense for a city that's been isolated for so long that its inhabitants are really loving antsy to do anything as long as they're out and about.

It's the best Make a Wish visit ever.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
In recognition of the revolution occurring as the GBS 2.1 Fall I present a Pony panel.

MLP Microseries: Cutiemark Crusaders.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Motherfucking bronies are trying to taint MST3K? Just go ahead and kill me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Plutonis posted:

They ruin everything.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Plutonis posted:

Looks more like The Critic to me.

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.

dpbjinc posted:

Also used in MST3k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZR1gSvnOI0

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Plutonis posted:

I don't like MLP or bronies, but it's not like they're the only creepy goony fandom that does weird fanart.

If making creepy fanart was a crime, there goes like 75% of the internet. I long ago got over seeing my favorite childhood character (Sonic) do stuff I don't like seeing.

Meanwhile, Betty gon' shank someone:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

dpbjinc posted:

The head writer for MST3K went on to make Rifftrax, which would explain the weird line, and the hat and necklace/choker(?) of the costume are the heads of the MST3K robots.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Calm the gently caress down, this wasn't even made by bronies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Seriously, panels from official MLP comics have been posted before in this very thread. He said it was from an official comic. Chill out.

• Locked thread