Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I leave the Nashkel mines through the back door and the fight with those 4 assassins is no where in sight. What a let down. Did they take this out of enhanced edition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
They should be there. Just north of the cave entrance.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Rascyc posted:

I leave the Nashkel mines through the back door and the fight with those 4 assassins is no where in sight. What a let down. Did they take this out of enhanced edition?

It's definitely there since I did it three days ago.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Beats me then, I know the fight by heart but it's not there this time around. Not going to lose sleep over it but just kind of strange.

Ah I figured it out. Latest version of SCS moved the fight on me.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 24, 2013

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
For the most part I don't have the patience in games like I did when I was a kid. But apparently I can still hit the reroll button over and over again like it's 1999.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I've hit this button three hundred times already, but maybe the next time I'll get a 90!

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
I've played BG2 like 5 or 6 times, and never played BG1, Kensai/Mage, Wild Mage, Monk, Kensai/Thief, Bounty Hunter/? etc is there anything new in the enhanced editions that would justify playing again?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Belasarius posted:

is there anything new in the enhanced editions that would justify playing again?

Some mediocre new NPCs, their addendant sidequests, and a few new items. Yes for some people, no for others.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Some mediocre new NPCs, their addendant sidequests, and a few new items. Yes for some people, no for others.

BG2EE actually adds a few new zones in ToB apparently. They've also mentioned they'll be adding Ascension support/a toggle and will have conversations with Dorn/Neera/Rashad/Hexat added to it.

It's mainly a question of how much you care. BGEE fixes up BG, getting rid of most of the bugs, and adding a zoom/all the amenities of tutu without having you install tutu. I also find Neera and Dorn extremely useful, as they fill the lacking spot of a powerful good/neutral aligned mage, and a easy to find powerful evil aligned fighter. There's also the small QoL improvements across the board in terms of UI/menus/inventory/questlogs/resolution.

BG2EE is less improved because the variety of NPCs was already pretty solid, and the game engine didn't need much in the way of tweaks. I guess the only thing you get out of it is the potential new zones/Ascension modded in by the devs in ToB, plus the new NPCs ( which don't add nearly as much as they did in BGEE ). I guess the big thing for BG2EE is at this point is BGEE is better then BGtutu, so since you won't be using tutu, BG2EE will be better? But in that case you could probably just do BGEE - > BG2 base with no tutu at all.

I just bought both of them because I don't want to install the games off the discs anymore. That was enough for me.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Suspicious posted:

You can easily exploit that nasty AI behavior though. Mind flayer areas are very cramped, so it's very easy to deliberately not cast chaotic commands on a party member, someone in the back, say your mage, and have the rest of your protected party members block the way. Once the psionic barrage is done, the bait will be stunned, and the mind flayers will futilely try to move *through* your party to reach the delicious paralyzed brains in the back, and they won't fight back as the rest of your party cuts them down.

SCS mindflayers are teleporting dicks and will pop up right next to your unprotected backliners to tentacle their brains. Fortunately, it seems they can't Tw/oE to invisible people, so I just have my squishies hide in a far away corner quaffing invis pots until it's all over.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
That's weird. Mind flayers are supposed to see through invisibility. Or maybe that was Tactics, not SCS.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Suspicious posted:

That's weird. Mind flayers are supposed to see through invisibility. Or maybe that was Tactics, not SCS.

You can't target directed spells on invisible people, even if you can see them. The Mind flayers simple ignore invisibility for detection purposes, unlike spells like true seeing and invisibility purge which dispel it. A mind flayer could attack such a person, but couldn't target them with a "teleport to player" ability.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Small caveat to that but anti magic related spells can target invisible targets directly as of one of the later versions (indirectly nerfing SI:D + II combos).

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I like how the BG2EE never fixed the bug in the wizard stronghold quest line when you try to make a ring of wizardry and it just throws a scripting error. Did they fix any bugs?

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Suspicious posted:

Chaotic commands is important to protect against their psionic blast spam. If they manage to stun someone, the enemy AI will beeline to that party member and attack. All hits vs. incapacitated targets are basically automatic (+10 or +15 bonus to THAC0? something like that), so he or she will die very quickly to brain drain.
There's not a bonus to hitting incapacitated targets, it's just automatic. In the feedback there's no roll to hit shown, as there is against a normal enemy, it just shows the damage done.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rookersh posted:

It's mainly a question of how much you care. BGEE fixes up BG, getting rid of most of the bugs,

Haha what? The extended editions are buggy as all get out, and not the fun kind of bugs. The very first quest in the very first area of the first game is literally impossible to complete.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Mzbundifund posted:

Haha what? The extended editions are buggy as all get out, and not the fun kind of bugs. The very first quest in the very first area of the first game is literally impossible to complete.

Firebeads scroll? The latest BGEE megapatch finally fixed that.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

cheesetriangles posted:

I like how the BG2EE never fixed the bug in the wizard stronghold quest line when you try to make a ring of wizardry and it just throws a scripting error. Did they fix any bugs?
The Jaheira quest line scripting is thoroughly unfucked, which none of the original patches or community fixpacks could manage. The stars aligned for me just once in the dozen or so times I completed SoA runs over the years, all other times it stalled out even when Shadowkeeper variable fuckery was introduced. The banter scripts in general seem to be running better - I'm not getting the processions of 4-5 banters all at once that the original games had.

As for new content, I actually think it's really good. Like at least on par with SoA standard, and a good bit of it is actually much better than that. Neera's quest in particular has a lot of good fights and set pieces. And the weird thing about the new content is that a lot of it offers variant choice in approach, which is conspicuous in that original game quests that offered the same can be counted on one hand (the only one that immediately springs to mind is lifting the curse off of Jaheira). It's clever. A pity that Dorn is still a poor man's Sarevok. And Hexxat really should have been neutral alignment. Alignment restrictions suck.

Meanwhile I discovered that sun soul monks make great stealth bombers - because their innate sunfire ability is directed at the player, it doesn't break concealment. The class basically does for undead what Inquisitors do for mages but they're really good against anything that doesn't resist fire.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Suspicious posted:

It was a Tactics thing, along with 50% resistance to melee and missile damage for some reason. SCS makes both of these optional on install, so you can have one or the other, both or neither. I personally go with see invisibility without the damage resistance.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

BGEE is now fixed as of 1.2.

BG2EE is buggier, but now on par with BG2 with tutu as of this first patch. Actually I'd say it has less bugs, they are just more severe.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

As for new content, I actually think it's really good. Like at least on par with SoA standard, and a good bit of it is actually much better than that. Neera's quest in particular has a lot of good fights and set pieces. And the weird thing about the new content is that a lot of it offers variant choice in approach, which is conspicuous in that original game quests that offered the same can be counted on one hand (the only one that immediately springs to mind is lifting the curse off of Jaheira). It's clever. A pity that Dorn is still a poor man's Sarevok. And Hexxat really should have been neutral alignment. Alignment restrictions suck.

Yeah, I think the new content actually holds it own pretty well compared to the original SoA and ToB content. Are the new NPCs masterpieces of video game writing? No, but neither were the old NPCs for the most part. Also as you say those quests actually have some meaningful choices you can make. Choices that actually changed how things play out were almost completely absent in BG2 so it's nice to have a few more.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I need advice for dualclassing from swashbuckler into mage for BG2. I want to go 2 weapons and buff/touch spells sorta thing with trap detection. What level should I dual into mage and what proficiencies should I take?

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I need advice for dualclassing from swashbuckler into mage for BG2. I want to go 2 weapons and buff/touch spells sorta thing with trap detection. What level should I dual into mage and what proficiencies should I take?

Level 10 is the typical dual point for Swashbuckler to Mage. Don't know what proficiencies you'd want. I'd guess at least 1 pip in short swords or scimitars for a +APR weapon.

As far as BG2EE goes, I started a game after the patch and haven't run into any bugs as of yet. A few minor annoyances (NPCs always voice their selection sounds when initiating dialogue so they talk over themselves, all merchants/commoners look like they have Iron Skins on or are Drow or something) but that's about it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

The Crotch posted:

Huh, it's almost like alignment is dumb.
Books go further on to say that if a chaotic evil fighter is at a tavern drinking beer, the Detect Evil spell will not register on him. But on the other hand, a cleric that has performed enough heinous deeds that it basically gravitates around him can be triggered.

Basically, it is there as a tool to help roleplay your character and Detect Evil is meant as a way to identify an assassin in a crowd or similar.

Basically, you could just as easily run a game without alignments as with alignments. It can just act as a guide to how you want to play out. Like a knight with a code of honor, but a tendency to sort of do evil poo poo that the code of honor doesn't govern. It can give you an idea to work with instead of just "playing as yourself, but as an elf".

The Crotch posted:

I thought they didn't even die, they just got scuffed up more than you would expect from three level 1 wizards?

Several of the party members died, but over half of them survived, just a bit beaten up. One of the mages went around killing the guys that were under the sleep effect until the fighter threw off the two wizards beating on him.

It's a funny story.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Kits can't dual class, only the base classes (thief, in your case) are capable of that.

The dual wielding buff warrior is still possible though! Start as ranger and dual class into cleric. Clerics even get the find traps skill too. You're eventually going to want 18+ strength to break locks, assuming you are soloing the game.

edit- wait, it's the other way around, disregard

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 24, 2013

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

Kits can't dual class, only the base classes (thief, in your case) are capable of that.

The dual wielding buff warrior is still possible though! Start as ranger and dual class into cleric. Clerics even get the find traps skill too. You're eventually going to want 18+ strength to break locks, assuming you are soloing the game.

Kits can dual class, that's the whole point of Kensai/Mages and Berserker/Clerics :confused:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mordaedil posted:

Basically, you could just as easily run a game without alignments as with alignments. It can just act as a guide to how you want to play out. Like a knight with a code of honor, but a tendency to sort of do evil poo poo that the code of honor doesn't govern. It can give you an idea to work with instead of just "playing as yourself, but as an elf".
It's important to note that "codes of honor" don't necessarily mean being kind and heroic. It is the code by which your organization grants you respect. Mafiosi have a code of honor, but what is considered "honorable" among mobsters is being punctual, obedient, fearless, discreet, and good at making money. Being nice doesn't factor into their code.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

It's laughable how you can get people to transform their personalities with a few dialogue lines. I hear you can actually turn Dorn good, and he's a loving blackguard.
You can't turn Dorn good. He can become a fallen blackguard if he kills his patron as well as the monster looking to replace his patron, because if he does he doesn't have any source of blackguard powers anymore.

I think my least favourite character in the EE content is CHARNAME. There are so many dialogues where they not only repeatedly interrupt people who are speaking to make "funny" quips, they also constantly answer questions that aren't even directed at them.

Seriously Rasaad, Neera, Hexxat and Dorn have all told me to shut up already but there is never an option to do so, and other npcs' speeches are frequently broken up into the same completely unnecessary dialogue choice after every line:

1. Yes, I'd like to progress
2. I am funny
3. Now die!

I already said I'd help when we first met! Why do I have to make the same choice over and over again?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The greatest innovation in the field of talking to videogame people in the last ten years was the option to not loving say anything in The Walking Dead.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

uwu culture posted:

I think my least favourite character in the EE content is CHARNAME. There are so many dialogues where they not only repeatedly interrupt people who are speaking to make "funny" quips, they also constantly answer questions that aren't even directed at them.

Seriously Rasaad, Neera, Hexxat and Dorn have all told me to shut up already but there is never an option to do so, and other npcs' speeches are frequently broken up into the same completely unnecessary dialogue choice after every line:

1. Yes, I'd like to progress
2. I am funny
3. Now die!

I already said I'd help when we first met! Why do I have to make the same choice over and over again?

I've noticed that too, you're constantly forced to answer questions for NPCs which often have no bearing on the conversation outcome anyway.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The only improvement in BG1 I feel like I really paid for was the high resolution font and improved interfaces (remappable keys actually seem to work and the spell menu is a bit more organized). I wish there was a way to actually specify your full screen resolution so the scaled interface worked a bit better. The unscaled interface version looks great, but I wish I could make the interface just a wee bit bigger in that mode.

The obvious solution is to play in Windowed mode but I just can't do it after playing full screen Baldur's Gate for so many years.

It is interesting playing through BG1:EE with SCS with a Blackguard / Monk / Wild Mage in the party. I never knew poison weapon was so powerful. I may keeper Naxxat over to Assassin in BG2:EE just so I can have all the four new characters with content.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

What is the method method for dealing with golems as a solo sorcerer? Just summons or what? Would spells that lower spell resistance work on golems and mind flayers?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Melf's minute meteors should work.

The Crotch posted:

The greatest innovation in the field of talking to videogame people in the last ten years was the option to not loving say anything in The Walking Dead.
Hey, I still love the way the story is presented in Dark Souls. You are pretty good at not saying anything in that game, and it doesn't force a lot of dialogue or cutscenes down your throat. The story of the world is there to try to unravel if you feel the urge.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Lower resistance should work against golems and mind flayers, but the main weapon is summons for a solo sorcerer against them, particularly mordenkainen's swords. Most golems would beat skeleton warriors, but they should be more than capable of dealing with flayers.

Edit. Forgot about Melf's Meteors. Shows how often I use mages.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

cheesetriangles posted:

What is the method method for dealing with golems as a solo sorcerer? Just summons or what? Would spells that lower spell resistance work on golems and mind flayers?
Depends on the golem and your mods. If you're playing without any challenge mods than Melf's should be fine for most things as they function at +3. Lower resistance does work, but you'll need a lot of them.

You can also just buff the hell out of yourself and swing a quarterstaff at the appropriate level. I think you can use one of the SI:Schools you need to not be effected by the mini poison cloud, but I don't know which school.

Cloudkill works too I think?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

What should an assassin character be keeping their Move Silently/Hide in Shadows at relative to their level? There aren't many skill points to go around for an assassin, so should I just be dumping everything in to those? I'm assuming higher level enemies have a higher chance of spotting you out of it or something. My memory of these old DnD games is rustier than I thought it was until I tried playing them again.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 24, 2013

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

LibbyM posted:

What should an assassin character be keeping their Move Silently/Hide in Shadows at relative to their level? There aren't many skill points to go around for an assassin, so should I just be dumping everything in to those? I'm assuming higher level enemies have a higher chance of spotting you out of it or something. My memory of these old DnD games is rustier than I thought it was until I tried playing them again.

Enemies don't matter unless they have truesight or innate ability to see invisible creatures. Every point in either Move Silently or Hide in Shadows give 0.5% chance to succeed in hiding or maintaining stealth, and you have a penalty in lit areas of up to 50% of your total chance to hide, with at least 1% chance of failure at best.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

LibbyM posted:

Thief skills are sort of a percentage thing, 100 points being 100% before penalties. I couldn't remember the more esoteric things, but this thread explains it well. At minimum, 100 points into both HiS and MS means 99% success rate during night, and you'd need 200 points into both for 99% success rate during day.

It also seems that the data that stores a thief skill number is a single byte, thus going above 255 points can result in overflow and, whoops, now you have negative skill.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 24, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I always wondered: Does standing in shadows increase your chance to hide? I was never quite certain if the Infinity engine can even discern between light/dark areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I always wondered: Does standing in shadows increase your chance to hide? I was never quite certain if the Infinity engine can even discern between light/dark areas.

Yes. You can tell if it's real shadows when your character gets darker.

Snicker-Snack fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 24, 2013