Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Yeah I put off doing the One Star and Avengers tourneys until today mainly to get my teams ready before I put them out there. Currently in top 10 for both with ~50 points.

Also, god drat, the Heroic point values today are nuts. I went from 77 to 1177 in about an hour.

It's just too bad that I need IM35 for each of these events because he is really taking a pounding. I wish I had tried harder for some IM40 covers in previous events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I wish the Heroic Missions gave more progression pewards if they were going to start handing out such crazy mission points today. I only had to do all the easy missions and all the Venom fights to get them all. Meanwhile, the two tournaments have progression rewards that are unreachable that are actually useful. I'd kill to have those Classic Storms from the 1 Star Tournament!

EDIT: I've noticed that the computer seems to have wisened up a bit about who it saves its special attacks for. I keep trying to put Wolverine out to take the enemy Thor's special attacks, but they now seem to save them until my Thor is exposed.

Gallow fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 24, 2013

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Thanks for the tip, I just got all the progress awards now too. I kind of want the three Moonstones rather than one IM40 though...

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity
I think my crazy point lead led to some unanticipated results. I went from 1st to 20th place with people having around 3k points now. And I don't have any missions that are repeatable so i'm stuck with what I had when i went to bed.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So is everyone else's Back to Basics bracket really not bothered? I can hardly talk because I just finished the first fight now, but the top ranked person has a grand total of 194 points. Second is about 50 points below. My ten points are enough for around rank 115. I don't think anyone is even going to think about getting near those Classic Storms.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Question regarding Wolverine: am I right in assuming that 5/3/5 is the optimal setup for him? I ask because I'm currently at 4/3/3, and I just got the red cover from the Venom Heroic. As lovely as his red attack is in the boosted heroic levels, I'm guessing that overall yellow is a better skill to max out? Or is 5/4/4 better so that he's got a decent damage attack?

McDragon posted:

So is everyone else's Back to Basics bracket really not bothered? I can hardly talk because I just finished the first fight now, but the top ranked person has a grand total of 194 points. Second is about 50 points below. My ten points are enough for around rank 115. I don't think anyone is even going to think about getting near those Classic Storms.

I'm seeing the same thing in my bracket but I'm pretty sure it's down to the fact that the rewards are poo poo and the fights are a total loving slog.

bubbapook fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 24, 2013

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

bubbapook posted:

Question regarding Wolverine: am I right in assuming that 5/3/5 is the optimal setup for him? I ask because I'm currently at 4/3/3, and I just got the red cover from the Venom Heroic. As lovely as his red attack is in the boosted heroic levels, I'm guessing that overall yellow is a better skill to max out? Or is 5/4/4 better so that he's got a decent damage attack?

At level 5, two green matches gives two uses of his green skill, and his yellow passive heals no matter what. Those are more useful than having his red skill above 3.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I'm actually starting to wonder if there is an argument to be made for 5/5/3 Wolverine. The main point against the red ability is that you'd always have Thor who has a vastly superior red ability. With all the character restricted tournaments that's not always the case. The last two yellow abilities are the smaller heal for when less than 8 tiles are on the board, and guaranteed full heal regardless of number of yellow tiles.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

BGrifter posted:

I'm actually starting to wonder if there is an argument to be made for 5/5/3 Wolverine. The main point against the red ability is that you'd always have Thor who has a vastly superior red ability. With all the character restricted tournaments that's not always the case. The last two yellow abilities are the smaller heal for when less than 8 tiles are on the board, and guaranteed full heal regardless of number of yellow tiles.

Not really - less than 8 yellow tiles is fairly common, but taking red to 5 just gets you a 10 AP attack over a 12 AP attack. That's the same number of basic matches, though it might occasionally be useful with match 4s. With Wolverine, however, you'll generally want to sit on your red AP as long as possible anyway, so you can throw out more of those sweet sweet strike tiles.

Basically, I sincerely doubt that Red 5 would be a noticeable advantage, even if Thor is not in the mix. Yellow 5 is super useful for tanking and avoiding medkit use.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I'm first in my one star bracket with about 705, the fights are not really any more of a slog than normal for me because I'm just running my normal team except with Widow instead of Daken.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
drat, thought I could get my fiance 1000 in one shot just starting the tournament but the first mission still only gives 15, she only has lowbies still so the rest of the missions aren't really feasible - the first one has all ringins and is totally doable with them. It didn't seem to unlock for me though.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

BGrifter posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've made a mistake by taking red too high on mine (currently 4/5/3), but that said the red nuke has been proving very useful in the Venom Tournament for the above reason, lack of Thor.

Far too committed to the cover to restart though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My 5/3/5 Wolvie doesnt even need nukes on a good board. After laying down a few strike tiles, each green ability is pretty much doing 800-ish damage and rising.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

McDragon posted:

Current statuses:

Heroic Mode: 5457 is 18th. #1 is 6847. Jesus H. Christ in a chicken basket.

Avengers: 748 is 10th. #1 is 1005 and then a strong dropoff to 821. (Someone really wants a Spider-Man. I want one more blue too but can't imagine reaching 1100 without being crabbed.)

One-Star: 153 is 80th. #1 is 626.

One-Star is useless to me: my Cap is max-skilled, my Venom is max-skilled, my backup Venom is 5-4 already, 800 for a Heroic token is too far out of reach. The Avengers tourney, I'd like one more IM40 Blue or the Hawkguy three-pack but I'm not staying up 'til midnight to fine-tune it, so I'll pound it before I go to bed and hope for the best. Heroic mode rankings are a goddamned joke and thus I'm only in it for the basic rewards.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The tourneys finish at around 4pm for me. Lots of mysterious bathroom and coffee breaks around that time. :v:

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Man, the gift changes have pretty much obliterated my daily ISO intake :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's down to half for me, but the update made sure that I was at least getting some. :v:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Gallow posted:

I wish the Heroic Missions gave more progression pewards if they were going to start handing out such crazy mission points today. I only had to do all the easy missions and all the Venom fights to get them all. Meanwhile, the two tournaments have progression rewards that are unreachable that are actually useful. I'd kill to have those Classic Storms from the 1 Star Tournament!

EDIT: I've noticed that the computer seems to have wisened up a bit about who it saves its special attacks for. I keep trying to put Wolverine out to take the enemy Thor's special attacks, but they now seem to save them until my Thor is exposed.

I'm not sure if the AI is saving it for your Thor so much as the AI seems to hold off on using abilities that add gems to the board if it has a match it wants to make. It can make it really difficult to judge when to throw your tank in front.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

bubbapook posted:

Man, the gift changes have pretty much obliterated my daily ISO intake :(

At least heroic mode is giving out thousands of iso a day. Along with a ton of hp and standard tokens. From heroic mode standard tokens I have gotten: storm yellow, magneto now red, magneto classic purple, captain America red, Loki black, and hood yellow. And a few wolverines I don't need.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Trying to fine tune for Heroic is gonna be hard, I wanna get 100-200 bracket for Moonstones but at 300 points a pop that fine tuning will be ridiculous.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

WetSpink posted:

Trying to fine tune for Heroic is gonna be hard, I wanna get 100-200 bracket for Moonstones but at 300 points a pop that fine tuning will be ridiculous.

Honestly moonstone isn't great and 10s of thousands of iso, 300+ hp, and 20+ standard token is going to help you a lot more. IM40 isn't a bad hero, such he is slow, but he is a huge wall and getting 20 blue isn't unheard of.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Shwqa posted:

Honestly moonstone isn't great and 10s of thousands of iso, 300+ hp, and 20+ standard token is going to help you a lot more. IM40 isn't a bad hero, such he is slow, but he is a huge wall and getting 20 blue isn't unheard of.
I played a high level moonstone once in Arena, and she was surprisingly good. Her red ability did lots of damage.

I haven't gotten any HP in heroic mode yet. Trying to get 100 more so that I can buy another red ragnarok cover and have 0/3.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Her red ability is pretty hard hitting, but the rest of her abilities are a waste of ap 99% of the time. Whee, spin around and those tiles dance around.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The top 10 in my heroic bracket are all ~5600 points, I'm getting 300 points for doing any mission in Heroic right now. Unfortunately all the missions are impossible for me :v:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Shwqa posted:

I had him paired with Magneto Now in a previous tournament and it was really easy to organise getting 20 blue even though I didn't have level 2 Recharge at the time. IM40 was boosted as well, so getting 20 blue was literally all I needed to win a match. Having used him since on his own with Recharge 2 I was still regularly getting enough blues just from matching and charging his laser.

Also, Captain America is loving fantastic in Heroic Venom. I had him at level 40 and he's basically carried everyone else through every single mission despite them being at base level barring Wolverine who was like ~20 and is also now in his 40s. Even against the 12k hp Venom he was a beast just churning through shield after shield until I got to the point where I had enough blue to keep him permanently stun-locked as long as I earned a single blue gem every third turn. Especially with Wolverine spamming out strike tiles every time the red shield came home.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

delfin posted:

Current statuses:

Avengers: 748 is 10th. #1 is 1005 and then a strong dropoff to 821. (Someone really wants a Spider-Man. I want one more blue too but can't imagine reaching 1100 without being crabbed.)

Dang, I just got to 800 for the heroic token and that put me in 1st. Someone in your bracket sure has been busy. I suppose a final push to 900 could happen, but that Spidey is looking sadly unrealistic (as usual)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Black Widow Original is turning out to be quite a decent healer. Got her Blue to 4, and at level 29, she can heal 422 for 9ap. I was wrong earlier and her heals do heal the whole team.

Having Spidey's ridiculous stuns would be really nice though.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Black Widow Original is turning out to be quite a decent healer. Got her Blue to 4, and at level 29, she can heal 422 for 9ap. I was wrong earlier and her heals do heal the whole team.

Having Spidey's ridiculous stuns would be really nice though.

Really, that is quite good. depending on what her black ability turns out to be she might be a very useful 3rd hero. I really wish those ap steal abilities didn't rise in cost so much. I would gladly give up stealing purple and black but keep max level increase and cost down.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Widow Original's Level 5 in Blue turned out to be less bonkers than I thought it was, based on the wording. The stupid but first reading I got was 'You now heal 50% of your health!'. The actual thing is you now heal if there are timers on the board, where you couldnt before, but just at 50%.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Shwqa posted:

IM40 is so much more common though, and I don't make the thousands of ISO so well since I need boosts on a lot of them with the current strength of my team usable in this (Wolvie 53, IM35 50 and BW Original 14) I could get her to 30 but that's an investment of more ISO than I have I think, and I kinda like the purple at 5 cost so I have that second cover in storage.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Anyone still have getting that bug where facebook friend reward drops only let you do it to three people? Only happens with the 70 iso-reward.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Decided to grind out the last few points I needed in the avenger bracket to max out my Thor's red ability. When I finished, I noticed I had 200 HP so I went and rolled for my bagman... And for a red Thor cover.

This loving game's drops make Dark Souls look like a cakewalk.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

death .cab for qt posted:

Decided to grind out the last few points I needed in the avenger bracket to max out my Thor's red ability. When I finished, I noticed I had 200 HP so I went and rolled for my bagman... And for a red Thor cover.

This loving game's drops make Dark Souls look like a cakewalk.

Congrats on getting red Thor every other heroic token from now on!

SchwarzKreuz
Jun 25, 2003
Anyone have any tips for placing high in the Avenger Tournament or Tournaments in general? A lot of times I can get into the top 10 but 30 minutes to 15 minutes I always end up dropping really low and can't seem to gain points faster than I lose them. I save all my medkits so my guys are fully healed at the 30 minute mark but I spend a good amount of time just skipping teams trying to find ones that are doable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just load up on boosters to get through the matches as fast as possible. Wolverine, IM40 and Cap with +all, +red/yel, +green/black means I can start up with 4 strike tiles, and either go for a quick yellow or keep on piling up the strike tile pain train, depending on the board layout.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

SchwarzKreuz posted:

Anyone have any tips for placing high in the Avenger Tournament or Tournaments in general? A lot of times I can get into the top 10 but 30 minutes to 15 minutes I always end up dropping really low and can't seem to gain points faster than I lose them. I save all my medkits so my guys are fully healed at the 30 minute mark but I spend a good amount of time just skipping teams trying to find ones that are doable.

1) Aim high. Whenever possible, you want to attack people who (a) have scores higher than you'll have when you beat them and (b) you can beat without getting your guys crippled. If you gain more from beating them than you lose from when they retaliate, you're doing it right. On a related note,

2) Be fussy about whom you attack or retaliate against. If they beat you once, they can beat you again, and if you lose more from them beating you than you gain in return, that's a bad decision. If you're on even terms with someone and you both just keep retaliating back and forth and back and forth, you're both just wasting time and resources.

3) Know your opponents. This is something you just get from experience. There are some people I avoid attacking because I know they will retaliate every single time and often at just the wrong moment.

4) Have a team others won't want to gently caress with. This is, of course, easier said than done. But it is definitely not mandatory.

5) Be there for the finish. If you're not there, you're losing points. If you're not attacking the best targets you can find near the end, you're losing points.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Deep Winter posted:

Anyone still have getting that bug where facebook friend reward drops only let you do it to three people? Only happens with the 70 iso-reward.

That's not a bug is it? There's a +3 Allies reward and a +10 Allies reward (used to be 25)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

After this tournament, I dont think there's a team I wont try to murder. Unless its a spidey with 2k+ hit points. Below that I can take him out in 2-3 turns, anything above and I risk getting webbed to hell while the rest of the team treats me like a pinata.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

One thing that has been huge for me during this Avengers tournament has been the 20% damage boost to Avengers. Thors hitting for 1k with his red attack with that. Between all boost and R/Y boost I am dropping some teams in one turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Does anyone have any tips for healing your team if they just revived from dead? I've been having mixed luck with pairing up with guaranteed spider man vs venom but I don't alawys get the drops I need to max health.