Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I was top 2 in Back to Basics as well. Boosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

I think 5/5/3 is objectively The Best Way unless you have another character that uses Purple/Black that you want to use him as support for. I could see Recharge/Aggressive Recon combo being a pain in the rear end, but it's a heavy outlay to get there - the 2 AP difference between level 1 and level 2 Recharge is really significant when most of the time you're just spending it on powering Mjolnir's Might's.

Yeah, the only real decision on IM 40 is 5-5-3 or 5-5-1. Recharge starts getting way too expensive after 3, especially when your countdown tiles might get matched. 5-5-1 is ideal for hammer charging, but you'll miss out on some levels later. It's too bad that the new recruit system still lets your covers expire, or else I'd recommend just sitting on extra yellow covers until you hit max level and then deciding if the extra levels are worth the lost speed.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

SynthOrange posted:

Ew, the rewards are X-Force Wolverine and Loki and Loki for the top 3 spots. After that it's Original Widow, which I might aim for.

Original Widow Purple is awesome, it's like one-star Widow but costs like half as much. Her boosted state is really carrying me in Heroic Venom right now.

What are people's Reinforcements teams? I am really loving the no-CStorm meta and am running Thor/Wolverine/IM40 but am thinking about busting out something less burst-oriented like IM40/Spidey/Wolverine or even IM40/Spidey/Moonstone

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
I just climbed up to #1 in my venom tourny (4100 points) getting 300 per win, now it has changed my winning points back to 15 per match again.

Something doesn't make much sense there, i guess the best way to do it would be to wait until about an hour before it resets

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You get 15 if you fail the mission. Prepare to win missions in one shot.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Skam posted:

I just climbed up to #1 in my venom tourny (4100 points) getting 300 per win, now it has changed my winning points back to 15 per match again.

Something doesn't make much sense there, i guess the best way to do it would be to wait until about an hour before it resets

Wow really 4100 points? I'm 4h with 10,000 points.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Skam posted:

They're doing similar rubberbanding that they did in the previous heroic event, though there's speculation that it's bugged. It'll give you 300 points per match if you're in second place and when you're first it drops to very little points. Drop back to second place and it's 300 points again.

Kinda irritated since I didn't notice that it had dropped to 5 points per match and now I'm in second place when I was first before the reset.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
They really need more progression rewards for Heroics. I got all of them on the first day.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's that big fat reward at the end.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Going from 10ish facebook rewards to two in the morning really hurts.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Went to sleep, got top 50 and a bundle of Hawkguys. Started the new tournament, got a token, used it: Hawkguy. So there's that. Hawkguy Modern is now 3/2/4 and thus I can finally level him up a bit.

Heroic silliness continues, broke 10K points this morning. And I'm in 6th place.

I feel like I should be leveling up IM40 more than I have been. Right now he's L46 and 5/1/3 and I just keep finding better recipients for ISO. The Unibeam is what it is, and other than that he's just a car battery for Mjolnirs.

The Reinforcements tourney is interesting because units are buffed but not mandatory, so there are still lots of crunchy Thorm teams out there to beat on. Widow has a 10x environment value with the buff, so even a low level one can be useful as Forest Fire / Containment Breach fodder.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I just got another Spider-Man Classic Yellow from a Heroic token. :unsmith:

...but mine is already 5/4/2. :smith:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm just getting into this game, and I had a couple questions I haven't seen answered in the OP. It seems like some of that information is out of date; I haven't seen any way to spend ISO on leveling skills, for instance.

I picked up an Original Spiderman yellow cover... There is like, no way to go after his other covers, right? I have to just buy 500 iso covers and hope for the best? Leveling powers and finding characters is luck of the draw besides the stuff in the single-player missions? I'm not sure how to get over this hump I'm at right now where all the characters I'm really interested in are one-cover and I don't want to sink tons of resources into Modern Storm and Modern Black Widow while I hunt for Magneto and Spiderman covers and bang my head against an Impossible mission that has all 3 Classic Storm covers.

Why is this game so strangely skewed on characters? It would have never occurred to me that a game would have 3 different Black Widows and 2 versions of Hawkeye before adding, say, the Hulk or Gambit. I played in the 1-star tournament last night aiming for 26-50 because I'd win a two skill "Dark Avengers Spiderman" and it ended up being Venom. What? Call him goddamn Venom then.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 25, 2013

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Phenotype posted:

I'm just getting into this game, and I had a couple questions I haven't seen answered in the OP. It seems like some of that information is out of date; I haven't seen any way to spend ISO on leveling skills, for instance.

Yep, they changed that. Now it's strictly Hero Points or matching covers.

quote:

I picked up an Original Spiderman yellow cover... There is like, no way to go after his other covers, right? I have to just buy 500 iso covers and hope for the best? Leveling powers and finding characters is luck of the draw besides the stuff in the single-player missions? I'm not sure how to get over this hump I'm at right now where all the characters I'm really interested in are one-cover and I don't want to sink tons of resources into Modern Storm and Modern Black Widow while I hunt for Magneto and Spiderman covers and bang my head against an Impossible mission that has all 3 Classic Storm covers.

The methods of obtaining covers are:
* The single-player campaign (for certain characters)
* Tournament rewards, which are, of course, easier to get once you have a team that can do well in a tournament
* The various Recruit tokens

And yes, there is a lot of luck-of-the-draw involved for the rares, hence getting a Spidey Yellow is a Very Good Thing and you should absolutely hang onto that. The Standard Recruit machine will give you predictable results: call it 80% 1* fodder, 18% 2* covers and 2% rare stuff as a rough estimate. So many Hawkeye Classics and Juggernauts and Widow Moderns and Storm Moderns. Heroic tokens do open up more possibilities. Most of the special recruit machines aren't worth their inflated cost and you should spend your Hero Points on cover slots instead.

Is it geared towards getting you to spend real money if you don't know any better? Yes, because they like real money and they want yours. You can build up perfectly good teams for free but it takes time and grinding.

Modern Storm, Modern Widow, Venom, Iron Man 35 are worth investing in early. Among the 2* units, Thor, Storm Classic and Wolverine Astonishing are the most readily available and worth pursuing, with Daken and Captain America leading the next tier down. As you progress through the campaign you will slowly accumulate a couple of Thor and Storm Classic covers.

quote:

Why is this game so strangely skewed on characters? It would have never occurred to me that a game would have 3 different Black Widows and 2 versions of Hawkeye before adding, say, the Hulk or Gambit. I played in the 1-star tournament last night aiming for 26-50 because I'd win a two skill "Dark Avengers Spiderman" and it ended up being Venom. What? Call him goddamn Venom then.

Venom literally is the Dark Avengers' Spider-Man. If you're not familiar with the Dark Avengers concept then that will not make a lot of sense to you outside of what the cutscenes in this game spoonfeed you, but "<Norman Osborn> I'm in charge now, I'm replacing Avengers with villains with similar powers, ha ha I am evil!" sums it up well enough. It does call him Venom with "Dark Avengers Spider-Man" as a subtitle, at least.

And if you think Venom is a letdown you'll love Bag-Man.

They've said they have other characters that are baked into this build that haven't been released yet, and there are more to come.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

delfin posted:

And yes, there is a lot of luck-of-the-draw involved for the rares, hence getting a Spidey Yellow is a Very Good Thing and you should absolutely hang onto that ...

Is it geared towards getting you to spend real money if you don't know any better? Yes, because they like real money and they want yours.

Honestly, it would be better at getting me to spend money if I was allowed to buy a hero's second and third powers with HP. I've gotten a Magneto, Spiderman, and a Daken that seem cool enough that I'd drop some money in to get them up to fighting shape, but not if the only option is rolling hero covers and possibly dropping ten or twenty bucks with nothing to show for it.

delfin posted:

Venom literally is the Dark Avengers' Spider-Man. If you're not familiar with the Dark Avengers concept then that will not make a lot of sense to you outside of what the cutscenes in this game spoonfeed you, but "<Norman Osborn> I'm in charge now, I'm replacing Avengers with villains with similar powers, ha ha I am evil!" sums it up well enough. It does call him Venom with "Dark Avengers Spider-Man" as a subtitle, at least ...

They've said they have other characters that are baked into this build that haven't been released yet, and there are more to come.

Oh, come on, this is a cell phone game. :) I did not think to make the connection until after I'd gotten the covers, and I'm pretty familiar with Marvel. I'd expect a lot of people would see that and expect Peter Parker. The tournament reward description didn't call him Venom, either, just Dark Avengers Spiderman. Isn't there some other weird naming like that, Bullseye being billed as Hawkeye? It's obvious there are a lot of licensing restrictions in place, which is odd when you compare it with the PC F2P game Marvel Heroes which is pumping out a ton of different heroes.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Thanks to a couple of lucky Heroic tokens today, my Bag-Man is a cool 5/3/3.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

I'm awaiting the day where they turn Bag Man and Yelena into the two most powerful chars in the game, and the world burns.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Honestly, it would be better at getting me to spend money if I was allowed to buy a hero's second and third powers with HP. I've gotten a Magneto, Spiderman, and a Daken that seem cool enough that I'd drop some money in to get them up to fighting shape, but not if the only option is rolling hero covers and possibly dropping ten or twenty bucks with nothing to show for it.

Oh, come on, this is a cell phone game. :) I did not think to make the connection until after I'd gotten the covers, and I'm pretty familiar with Marvel. I'd expect a lot of people would see that and expect Peter Parker. The tournament reward description didn't call him Venom, either, just Dark Avengers Spiderman. Isn't there some other weird naming like that, Bullseye being billed as Hawkeye? It's obvious there are a lot of licensing restrictions in place, which is odd when you compare it with the PC F2P game Marvel Heroes which is pumping out a ton of different heroes.

Nah, Bullseye is the Dark Avengers Hawkeye. There's also a Dark Avengers Wolverine, Black Widow, and Thor. It's not really Licensing issues, but balance issues. The game is constantly being reworked because it's still in a preview edition, so some heroes are being tweaked. Hell, I think some aren't even finished. Off the top of my head, I've heard that Daken and Black Widow Original might receive third powers. They just aren't balanced and tested yet.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Phenotype posted:

Daken isn't too hard to obtain covers for, or at least they've had a fetish lately for using him as tournament rewards. Magneto (both of them -- there are Classic Red and Marvel Now! Grey versions) and Spider-Man Classic are rarer. Magneto Classic can be obtained via weekly Lightning Round tournaments, but unless you have a king-hell team you're not getting him from that.

Short version on the Dark Avengers: Venom, Bullseye, Moonstone, Daken, Yelena Belova and Ragnarok are the dark Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, Wolverine, Black Widow and Thor, respectively. There is no Iron Patriot yet, nor is there a 'light' Ms. Marvel yet. There are also significant changes from comic continuity, such as Ragnarok being an Oscorp project and thus they don't have to say the phrase 'Civil War' and try to explain why Thor wants to tear Tony Stark's spleen out.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I will be among the most unsatisfied of the nonpaying customers if Daken gets a 3rd, better power because mine is already maxed.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Phenotype posted:

The tournament reward description didn't call him Venom, either, just Dark Avengers Spiderman. Isn't there some other weird naming like that, Bullseye being billed as Hawkeye?

Unless i'm misremembering and my brain is just filling in, it said "Venom - Dark Avengers Spiderman". Look at the rewards list for Heroic Mode and notice how Moonstone is listed.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Below is an example of the heroic venom arena rewards. It says moonstone-dark avengers Mrs marvel. You just missed the "venom" it's cool, now you know! The game is still very new, yes they have weird character priorities, but the clearly want multiple versions of characters in the game, and they have a schedule. Yes, bullseye is labeled the dark avengers hawk eye. There's also ragnorak and yelona Bolivia for thor and black widow, in addition to venom and moonstone.

I dunno what you mean by obvious licensing restrictions. Of the like five f2p marvel games out right now, this one is the newest with the smallest dev team.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Phenotype posted:

The game's based on the Dark Reign comic storyline, which has Green Goblin/Norman Osbourne as head of HAMMER/SHIELD and has him substituting in his own version of the Avengers, hence Bullseye as Dark Avengers Hawkeye, Moonstone as Dark Avengers Ms Marvel, Daken as Dark Avengers Wolverine, etc...

edit: so beaten

Any strategies to beat the final Heroic Venom match, the one with Ragnarok, Venom & Daken? I keep dying there.

mania fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 25, 2013

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

bubbapook posted:

I'm awaiting the day where they turn Bag Man and Yelena into the two most powerful chars in the game, and the world burns.

I will be ready. I stopped selling them on sight. And you know what? I haven't had a Bag Man since. Yelena's skilled up quite quick though. Still get more use out of them as Storm batteries though.

While this new tournament is supposedly about the newer characters, I've gone back to Classic Storm/Thor/Battery almost immediately. Still broken. I hope before the inevitable nerf there's a tournament that boosts her. Hell, make it the Heroic Mode for the last part of the prologue. That would be fun.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

After so many events designed to wean you off of the CStorm teat, I've decided to stick with Thor/IM40/Wolverine2, and it's ending games just as fast (if not faster) than Thorm+battery. I don't get any stuns, but I do get to match off-color tiles for 800+ damage, so that's somethin'.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nvm, read IM40 as IM35

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Anyone here rolling a lvl 85 Captain America? Wondering if he's worth leveling past 50. I ran out of covers for Wolverine so I'm sitting on a bunch of ISO with nowhere to go. Guess I could use them to add three or four levels to Grey Widow.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Cap is a good utility guy if you don't have anyone better handy. The biggest determiner of his usefulness is skillups, not level; a level 5 Star-Spangled Avenger or Peacemaker is solid because it kills Countdown tiles dead and returns most of its APs for reuse.

That said, the Countdown tile changes (stuns pause them now) hurt him because now stuns are arguably more effective in that role and, when unbuffed, Star-Spangled damage isn't good. On the flip side, he's a hell of a lot easier to get your hands on than Spider-Man Classic, and Peacemaker is still a good lockdown option once you build up the initial blue APs.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, he's useful at 3/5/5 but, like you said, he only sees action when I don't have my top tier guys available. Maybe he makes up for it with health? 2662hp at lvl 50 is pretty good.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

seravid posted:

Yeah, he's useful at 3/5/5 but, like you said, he only sees action when I don't have my top tier guys available. Maybe he makes up for it with health? 2662hp at lvl 50 is pretty good.

His max hp is 4450. And his main attack tile is yellow at 50.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Phenotype posted:

The Dark Avengers [name] part is in the same spot as stuff like Marvel NOW! for Thor, or Classic for Spider-Man. In other words, it's identifying the line or era of comics that particular version of the character comes from. Presumably they could have another, different Venom or whoever somewhere down the line.

It probably also serves a second purpose of giving players who don't read a lot of comics a better sense of who these people are. It's easier to just have people say "oh Bullseye is Evil Hawkeye, got it."

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Shwqa posted:

His max hp is 4450. And his main attack tile is yellow at 50.

So he excels at nothing. Meh, I'll spend my ISO elsewhere.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

seravid posted:

So he excels at nothing. Meh, I'll spend my ISO elsewhere.

His primary use is to stun lock a single enemy, which can be done at any level.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That and while Star-Spangled does mediocre damage it does it over and over again. He syncs up well with Astonishing Wolverine because Feral Claws is only ever one or two turns away from another injection of red AP for two-three extra strike tiles.

The one thing that he excels at above every other character is handling countdown tiles though, so he mostly shines in fights with lots of them (PvE).

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
My friend hadn't done heroic venom, as the level 85 venom scared him off. I Showed him they give you a buffed team capable it doing it easily. So he got placed into a late bracket. His top ranked #1 has 400 versus mine's 14000. So no kidding about these slacker brackets, but I dunno how the heroic rubberbanding affects this.

Also, I regret bringing my captain America's yellow skill to 5, but it's all the game gave me. It isn't horrible though, 4 protect tiles at 31 each at level 30. Just loving expensive.

Deep Winter fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 25, 2013

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Yep, I'm waiting until the last few hours to enter the reinforcement event. 3 X-Force covers down, 10 to go.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

delfin posted:

Daken isn't too hard to obtain covers for, or at least they've had a fetish lately for using him as tournament rewards. Magneto (both of them -- there are Classic Red and Marvel Now! Grey versions) and Spider-Man Classic are rarer. Magneto Classic can be obtained via weekly Lightning Round tournaments, but unless you have a king-hell team you're not getting him from that.

Short version on the Dark Avengers: Venom, Bullseye, Moonstone, Daken, Yelena Belova and Ragnarok are the dark Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, Wolverine, Black Widow and Thor, respectively. There is no Iron Patriot yet, nor is there a 'light' Ms. Marvel yet. There are also significant changes from comic continuity, such as Ragnarok being an Oscorp project and thus they don't have to say the phrase 'Civil War' and try to explain why Thor wants to tear Tony Stark's spleen out.

a brief look at the dark reign wiki page leads me to believe there won't be a light Ms. Marvel, she didn't really fight the dark avengers so much as disappeared for it.

weird, some fakebook friend recommended that I add a university to my timeline history - that I never went to. Beware Alan Palmer!

WetSpink fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 25, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah but Captain America was DEAD for it, and I dont remember people fighting over Iso and coins, so lets assume there's a lot of liberties being taken.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah but Captain America was DEAD for it, and I dont remember people fighting over Iso and coins, so lets assume there's a lot of liberties being taken.

Yeah I also don't avenger constantly training by fight Thor and storm over and over again. Seriously 90% of this game is PvP. Im hoping slowly switches over to a 50/50 thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Shwqa posted:

Yeah I also don't avenger constantly training by fight Thor and storm over and over again. Seriously 90% of this game is PvP. Im hoping slowly switches over to a 50/50 thing.

I want chapter one so baddddd