Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

abraham linksys posted:

They're handing out ponchos at MSG :ohdear:

Hmm that's new. I definitely got snowed on at Barclays but nothing that needed a poncho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HorseRenoir posted:

Serious question, why are so many people (both fans and haters) weirdly overcomplicating the 300 line? Does it not occur to people that it isn't Kanye being stupid enough to get a popular movie reference blatantly wrong or an obscure slang thing, but just a throwaway line that Kanye thought was funny because it was wrong? It's really that simple and it baffles me that no one seems to think this.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Kanye 'keep[s] it 300 like the Romans' because he, like the Romans, was influenced by Greek culture but lives in decadence.

The Spartans didn't need to keep it 300 because they were the 300.

He then says, via the condom pun, that the 300 are bitches and asks for Trojans, when Troy was the enemy of Sparta because King Menelaus' wife was seduced by Paris of Troy.

After the Trojan War, the surviving Trojans moved to Italy and founded Rome(!).

Explained in four sentences, and I could pare that down if so inclined.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
The ponchos were never used. On the other hand, Kanye did lead a chant to get Eric Schmidt to invest in DONDA :stare:

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Just got back from the MSG show. Certainly significantly better than the WTT tour and the shows he did in Atlantic City. The spider monster thing with the red eyes that just sat on top of the mountain staring at the audience was nuts.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 24, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

conventionalcat posted:

I agree it was a throwaway line but we already got to the bottom of why that guy thinks Kanye is an idiot it's because the Blood on the Leaves beat sucks. We don't really need to discuss Black Skinhead anymore. FUckin kanye apologists

Edit: i want more on what the Bound 2 video means

Bound 2 is about the clever reappropriation of Kim Kardashian imagery by black culture (Kanye's dick) from black culture (Ray J's dick)

Explained in four sentences, and I could pare that down if so inclined.

Yeah but that's a SMG post explained by SMG which is a conflict of interest. I'm not an SMG apologist so

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Have you ever analyzed your own analyses SMG

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I've always wanted to an analysis of <famous black person> <wall of text>

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tremendous Taste posted:

No.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/topless-seth-rogen-nuzzles-james-franco-in-bound-2-spoof-20131125

Big improvement to the Bound 2 video.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

This is incredible.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I liked the music video and I don't have any reasons.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

That's fuckin' great.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Splurgerwitzl posted:

I liked the music video and I don't have any reasons.

Alan Smithee posted:

Bound 2 is about the clever reappropriation of Kim Kardashian imagery by black culture (Kanye's dick) from black culture (Ray J's dick)

i think its more just "look at me im loving kim on a motorcycle" with some 'surreal' effects/imagery from the calendar in your grandmas kitchen in the background. i think tahts my reason for liking it. 'antagonistic' is the deeper word id use that i stole from this thread cuz kanye is pretty badass like a rockstar or punk rockstar and that goes against society and the man and stuff. and the media.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
If I actually believed that Kanye was the first guy to dick her on the back of a motorcycle or in front of some trippy background I'd almost be impressed. But I don't & I'm not.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kim K says Kanye "laughed so hard at this", referring to Seth Rogen & James Franco's Bound 3. Seth Rogen responded "Thanks! Some of those positions were really uncomfortable. That poo poo is harder than it looks."

:3:

Extra Koos
Nov 2, 2013

Tremendous Taste posted:

I have, and found certain recurring themes, such as schizophrenia and gayness.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Extra Koos posted:

I have, and found certain recurring themes, such as schizophrenia and gayness.

That reading is wrong then, because you clearly missed the most important elements of an SMG analysis: pretense and self importance.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kid Gloves posted:

I always thought the "Colin Powells, Austin Powers" line was weirder

In Too Deep, like Mekhi Phife.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
SMG, simultaneously the best and worst poster of SA media forums

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Interview w/ Kanye &The Breakfast Club. Charlamagne Tha God puts Yeezus on defense a lot of times:

http://www.paperchaserdotcom.com/pr...medium=facebook

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

echronorian posted:

SMG, simultaneously the best and worst poster of SA media forums

Jeez, I can't even write "Kanye West raps about black history" without five or six haters from my fanclub showing up to suck my dick.

Lady Gaga writes songs about feminism too. -> "Haha SMG is so weird and controversial! Let me talk about him." gently caress off.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
and then kanye was angry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JA6U_vdshg

just posting cuz a bunch of people posted it on facebook just now. wish there were more than just this short clip but sounds like a trainwreck of an interview anyway, i like the Breakfast Club one better

conventionalcat fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 27, 2013

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Jeez, I can't even write "Kanye West raps about black history" without five or six haters from my fanclub showing up to suck my dick.

Lady Gaga writes songs about feminism too. -> "Haha SMG is so weird and controversial! Let me talk about him." gently caress off.

Sorry if I came off wrong. I love your posts. People jump on your interpretations, I'm not. Please keep it up. :) "Best and worst poster" as in "some think you're the best, some think you're the worst."

As far as the subject, I think Kanye is right that you can't really "speak to the people" on a mass level without the corporate channels.

EDIT: Every time Kanye says slaves people think of black slaves because A)he's black and B) It's the most recent prevalent example of slavery. Slavery goes beyond Trans Atlantic slave trade, the development of western society and capital has always come on the backs of slaves and I say he's right that we're all slaves in a tangential sense when it comes to debt and how we publicly represent ourselves. He uses the word slaves in a bigger context than black slavery. I don't know if it's appropriate or not but I don't think his intention is totally conjuring the image of american slavery.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 27, 2013

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Charlamagne came off to me as pretty irritating, mostly because he sounds like one of those insufferable "REAL hip-hop" types that hate anything that isn't exactly like the type of hip-hop they grew up listening to. Kind of found it funny how he kept trying to rile up Kanye by telling him his album sucked and Kanye was too caught up in his rambling monologue to even notice him.

My favorite part of the interview is how Kanye goes off onto a weird-rear end tangent about Adam and Eve God making nudity illegal, and then repeats it again, irritated, like it makes all the sense in the world and everyone in the room is too dense to get it, when the interviewers have no idea what he's talking about. It feels like a brief window into Kanye's thought processes that only make sense to Kanye.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Everything Kanye says is the truth. Death to Videodrome, long live the new flesh.

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp

conventionalcat posted:

and then kanye was angry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JA6U_vdshg

just posting cuz a bunch of people posted it on facebook just now. wish there were more than just this short clip but sounds like a trainwreck of an interview anyway, i like the Breakfast Club one better

Sounds like kanye needs a good nights rest

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

echronorian posted:

Sorry if I came off wrong. I love your posts. People jump on your interpretations, I'm not. Please keep it up. :) "Best and worst poster" as in "some think you're the best, some think you're the worst."

Sometimes I think SMG is ok, but most of the time he reminds me of the one professor I had in film school who never actually worked in the industry in every capacity, and would pretty much just cause everyone, other professors and students alike, to roll their eyes whenever he started talking. Sometimes he made good points, but most of the time...eh...

On topic I do think SMG is right about this video though, there's definite use of classic American imagery in a very deliberate way.

Also it's a goofy video where Kanye fucks Kim on a motorcycle, so that's pretty awesome.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hahaha he's being meta. This is the truly brilliant.

Since when does SMG ever write anything so straight forward? It should be more like "Lada Gaga is the obscene phallus taken to its illogical extreme"

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I just had to fracture my ankle two days before going to the Nashville show. Hopefully I can down enough painkillers to stand up for 3 hours and still enjoy the performance. Anyone seen him yet with GA tickets? I'm wondering how feasible this is given that I'm limping around in a boot at the moment.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Alan Smithee posted:

Since when does SMG ever write anything so straight forward? It should be more like "Lada Gaga is the obscene phallus taken to its illogical extreme"

My god, shut up.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
It's great, not too crazy with a mosh out or anything but you will be standing for a long time... Especially if you get there for the opener. 45 min between sets

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Your language is akin to a racist talking about black people, with your refusal to give SMG agency by denying him 2nd person pronouns. Then you mock the way he talks? Is this anti-intellectual bigotry?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HorseRenoir posted:

My favorite part of the interview is how Kanye goes off onto a weird-rear end tangent about Adam and Eve God making nudity illegal, and then repeats it again, irritated, like it makes all the sense in the world and everyone in the room is too dense to get it, when the interviewers have no idea what he's talking about. It feels like a brief window into Kanye's thought processes that only make sense to Kanye.

Why would Kanye talk about Genesis in an interview? It's so random that Kanye loving West would use biblical imagery in the context of promoting his album/tour. What is the bible anyways? Adam and Eve? These concepts are new to me.

"I had a dream I could buy my way to heaven. When I awoke, I spent that on a necklace.
[...]
Life is a bitch, depending how you dress her. So if the Devil Wears Prada, Adam, Eve wear nada. I'm in between, but way more fresher."

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp

Why would Kanye talk about Genesis in an interview? It's so random that Kanye loving West would use biblical imagery in the context of promoting his album/tour. What is the bible anyways? Adam and Eve? These concepts are new to me.

"I had a dream I could buy my way to heaven. When I awoke, I spent that on a necklace.
[...]
Life is a bitch, depending how you dress her. So if the Devil Wears Prada, Adam, Eve wear nada. I'm in between, but way more fresher."

keep going don't stop!!!!!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I just had to fracture my ankle two days before going to the Nashville show. Hopefully I can down enough painkillers to stand up for 3 hours and still enjoy the performance. Anyone seen him yet with GA tickets? I'm wondering how feasible this is given that I'm limping around in a boot at the moment.

I think if you call the venue they'll make sure you're comfortable. The GA had a fenced of Area for VIPs so I'm sure they'll stick you in there with a chair or something.

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW
You could probably lean back against the wall of the GA area, although if you're limping you might want to try to swap for seated tickets if they're available. But yeah you want to be facing the stage as head-on as possible for this show so keep that in mind

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Just make sure you speak with the venue most of them bend over backwards for injured people.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I usually like Kanye in interviews but that Sway interview was painful. Breakfast Club was good

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Concert went well despite the injury. Everything was awesome except for the 20 minute rant about shoes and Nike that I imagine was because of him breaking ties with them in the last few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Concert went well despite the injury. Everything was awesome except for the 20 minute rant about shoes and Nike that I imagine was because of him breaking ties with them in the last few days.

He did this at MSG too, rants about stupid business bullshit are just part of The Kanye Experience(tm)

• Locked thread