Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Norrland was a much more itneresting run. Sailing around looting everything meant I had so many more options, and things are looking up.

Jamtland, that Catholic Count living up in the mountains suffered a Norse Revolt, so from the start I had a nice little ally. He later conquered Medelpad and the territory was split through inheritance.

Early on Sweden declared a Holy War for Norrland, which meant my holdings of Angaraland, Lappland and Vasterbottom, which would normally mean the complete end of me. At the exact same moment, a Lappish revolt spawned two stacks of rebels in Lappland, one which moved to Vasterbottom and one staying in Lappland. The Lappland stack collided with the invading Swedish army and they wiped each other out, while the other army conquered Vasterbottom. Sweden eventually conquered Angaraland and Lappland, and with all my provinces inert Sweden confiscated those two, leaving me with Vasterbottom. With the actual province they wanted gone, the Lappish rebels disappeared, leaving me alive and confused in my starting province.

I later used my massive raiding treasure to hire a ton of mercenaries, winning a Subjugation of Finland on Estonia. Not very practical, but it gave me extra space to survive in. Deciding that I'd had enough of that queen who stole my two crappy provinces, I declared a prepared invasion of Sweden, ultimately ending up with about 12K special troops, two mercenary companies, a legendary hero and some levies. Halfway through the invasion my awesome Viking King died of a cold, and his sons split Norrland and Estonia. At about the same time, that legendary Queen of Sweden died and her child son inherited the situation.

The invasion was a success.

Immediately after victory:

A rebellion by some very brave Swedes was quickly crushed, and a Catholic Revolt appeared. Unfortunately for them, they spawned on the main thoroughfare between warring Denmark and Norway, and the brave sons of God were repeatedly bowled over and destroyed in a cartoon-like fashion without me doing anything. I banished two very rich prisoners, netting me over 800g and letting me buy everything I wanted. I even made Gotland a republic :yayclod:

In the brief respite between eternal war, I held the best Blot ever, sacrificing every prisoner I had taken so far, and raised a Runestone in honour of my father. Then I conquered some little people. I was subsequently nicknamed 'The Magnanimous'. I'm 25 years old, have one son and two brothers.

What next? Norway? Finland?

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

For my next game I wanted to play a Muslim merchant republic, ideally in Sicily. So I loaded up as the sultan of Tunisia (who conveniently is a bit of gold away from being able to create the Duchy of Sicily), created the title, gave it to a mayor in one of my Sicilian provinces, and switched to said major. All's fine, mansions, families, trade posts, the works.

Except that, even after pumping out half a dozen sons, my heir remained listed as the patrician next in line for election (and as the top candidate changed, so did the heir). Which led to a game over as soon as the original mayor died. Any idea of how to avoid that?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Playing as Venice, I got lucky and won the Crusade for Greece. Now I'm making 250 per month and I dunno what to do with all this gold. But all the Cardinals are mine and I'm about to end the Byzantine Empire. Meanwhile, the Arabic Empire somehow managed to conquer most of Africa, Arabia and Eastern Europe, but they're no match for my retinue stack of 16k HI / 4k Archers.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

Of course! Makes it run so much faster. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?608487-MOD-Performance-mods

How is Lux Invicta? Polished?

There's an absolute ton of religions but not all of them are fully fleshed out or equally viable. There is a total overhaul in the works however and the new SOA features have really got the team excited. The principle issue in my experience is balance but there is a fair share of bugs. There was a real problem with fertility and child mortality for a while due to interactions between the the different submods. Gavelkind was not an issue as your heir was unlikely to have any living siblings at all. The building tree was also impossible to complete because of some broken requirements. Small issues like this are pretty common just due to the number of changes made but it's getting better with every revision.

A more pressing issue is just how fractured the world is. This is kind of the point of the mod but once you get some power you can really, really snowball. The SPQR for instance has claims on all of a very fractured Italy with a vassal mercenary legion at its command. You have to limit yourselves when you pick people like the Holy Roman Emperor or Shāhanshāh. It's not all bad however as you can have a good game in the very same area as the Marcionist Etruscan Kingdom or play as the Platonic-Islamic heirs to Alexander in Egypt. It's a fun alternative history mod that I'd recommend you try at least. Playing as one of the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms or the Væringjar King of Gilan is good fun.

Thanks for the link.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Cease to Hope posted:

Was this an Ironman game? If not, you won't get achievements.

If so, I don't know if loving with which DLCs you have in the middle of game will affect achievements.

I've just defeated the Aztec's in my Ironman game where I've had the DLC on from the start, and I didn't get any achievements either. They attacked me and a opm count in Scotland. I defeated all their armies, but somehow the opm managed to win his war without doing anything before I won mine, so maybe that has something to do with it. Now there's 2000 Aztec galleys hanging around Ireland not doing anything.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
The first crusade for Hungary seems like a success :stare:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

My Zoroastrian game turned weird: I married ruler's sister to fellow Zoroastrian ruler, and his kid with my ruler's to get that holy incest on. Then they either lost feudal claim or converted because they are now heads of decently sized (around 2 duchies) Sunni country... while being in happy incestful relations. I haven't noticed any negative modifiers for their realms stability. I don't mind the fact one of fronts is decently secured thanks to that. Zoroastrians now rule eastern half of Persian empire, between me and former religious rebels.

2 religious questions: Do I get holy wars as Zoroastrians? Any chance for religious orders?

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
In every single game I play the Aztecs become Catholic, preventing me from taking their land away from them seeing them hilariously crush all of Europe; how do I prevent this? I want to see them run rampart. :smith:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

Was this an Ironman game? If not, you won't get achievements.

If so, I don't know if loving with which DLCs you have in the middle of game will affect achievements.

Apparently there is another invasion to come because I'm getting flavour about them discovering chocolate and firearms. I panicked and turned the DLC off again because I got absolutely loving reamed by about 5 faction wars in a row with 1 province left before Rome would get restored borders and had to reclaim the throne. after putting it back on the flavour is continuing, so I assume that they are coming back.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 25, 2013

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Any way to check if my game is still Ironman? It doesn't have the little glove on the save. I just did save and quit when I was done, is there another way I should do it to keep my save ironman?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
What causes monthly expenses when playing as a republic, other than troops? It really cuts into my profits, but there is no economy tab like in EU4, to check what exactly is it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Trogdos! posted:

What causes monthly expenses when playing as a republic, other than troops? It really cuts into my profits, but there is no economy tab like in EU4, to check what exactly is it.

Male members of a patrician dynasty get a monthly stipend, I believe, and if you've got a lot of relatives that can add up real fast (but as I recall you need to keep them alive to boost your trading post limit). Click your coat-of-arms shield on any screen to bring up your monthly balance report, just to make sure.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sistergodiva posted:

Any way to check if my game is still Ironman? It doesn't have the little glove on the save. I just did save and quit when I was done, is there another way I should do it to keep my save ironman?

You can always try to open the console, as this doesn't work in Ironman mode.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

alex314 posted:

2 religious questions: Do I get holy wars as Zoroastrians? Any chance for religious orders?

You start off with regular holy wars; you know, the ones that target a single duchy, can bring in nearby rulers of the same faith, and so on. Once you've restored the high priesthood, then you can call in Great Holy Wars, which are crusades by another name.

As for Holy Orders, I'm not sure. There wasn't one before, but SoA added a ton of holy orders and I think they said they wanted to add at least one for every religion. The Orthodox order doesn't show up unless Jerusalem is ruled by an Orthodox ruler, maybe if there's a Zoroastrian order they have a similar prerequisite (probably restoring the priesthood, again).

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
So, I just popped this open again, giving a Norse run a try.

Is it normal for me to be attacked by a dude four times my size and rolled over in my first year? As in "Don't even bother trying with a one country start, because it's mathematically impossible"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Alectai posted:

So, I just popped this open again, giving a Norse run a try.

Is it normal for me to be attacked by a dude four times my size and rolled over in my first year? As in "Don't even bother trying with a one country start, because it's mathematically impossible"

Single duchies surrounded by larger enemies can have that problem, yes. Try marrying for an alliance with them first thing, if you want to avoid getting crushed.

Teriferin
Oct 30, 2012
I normally just swear fealty to a nearby petty king so I can go do my raiding in relative peace.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

alex314 posted:

Any chance for religious orders?

I think every religion has orders now, the Zoroastrians have The Immortals, probably after restoring the priesthood, like WeaponGradeSadness said.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Does someone have a link to the Matriarchy/Enatic succession mod? I remember seeing it linked here months ago but can't find it :(

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Equilibrium posted:

Does someone have a link to the Matriarchy/Enatic succession mod? I remember seeing it linked here months ago but can't find it :(

I'm pretty sure it's still in ck2+, but as the maintainers mentioned, it causes some issues with the AI not properly doing matrillineal marriages.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Is there a way to change how often the game saves in ironman mode? Getting an hour glass once every minute super annoying. If it saved every 6 months that would be great.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Those of you who primarily roleplay... what do you do when you have a regency? Pretty much nothing? Or do you go by the regent's traits to figure out what actions to take?

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012
I'm going to get CK2 on steam later tonight. Which of the DLCs should I buy with it?

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

The Real Quaid posted:

I'm going to get CK2 on steam later tonight. Which of the DLCs should I buy with it?

All of them?
But seriously, you might want to buy the Old Gods and The Sons of Abraham and you should have lots of fun. Also, play Iron mode on your stream.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Real Quaid posted:

I quite simply run vanilla with the the Legacy of Rome and the Ruler Designer DLC. Retinues are useful as hell and ruler designers give you an easy introduction to the game.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN

The Real Quaid posted:

Old Gods is the best one, due to expanded timeline and awesome pagans. But if you have the money, all the non-cosmetics are good. Muslim countries are quite hard to play due to decadence mechanic, after so many hours I've yet to really utilize my Sword of Islam purchase, so that you can leave out. Legacy of Rome gives a good addition to every country in form of retinue troops. Sons of Abraham fleshes out Christians which are your most common pick especially as a beginner, but it is recently released and has a few bugs.

The rest are cosmetic.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Real Quaid posted:

I'd suggesting you wait a few more days, the Steam Fall/Black Friday sale will be starting on Wedensday and CK2 and all/most of its DLC is likely to go on sale.

For the price of it and one or two DLC now, you could possibly pick it and nearly all the DLC up in a few days. Besides, I'm sure you've got a backlog you can attend to for a day or two.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Trogdos! posted:

Old Gods is the best one, due to expanded timeline and awesome pagans. But if you have the money, all the non-cosmetics are good. Muslim countries are quite hard to play due to decadence mechanic, after so many hours I've yet to really utilize my Sword of Islam purchase, so that you can leave out. Legacy of Rome gives a good addition to every country in form of retinue troops. Sons of Abraham fleshes out Christians which are your most common pick especially as a beginner, but it is recently released and has a few bugs.

The rest are cosmetic.

I saw in the description for Sons of Abraham that it allows you to restart the Jewish Kingdom of Israel. That sounds interesting to me, is it particularly fun/as crushingly hard as it sounds?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm starting up another CK Multiplayer Conversion game and possible Lets Play, will use the Old Gods for its pagan playing goodies but lukewarm on actually starting that early. The last time I played with a fellow goon it didn't work out too well but maybe the second time is the charm.

Thread is here

Anyone interested? It would be once a week, probably saturday at 8 PM EST.

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012
Thanks guys. I'll wait for the sale and get Old Gods, SoA, and Legacy of Rome .

The Real Quaid fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 25, 2013

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I saw in the description for Sons of Abraham that it allows you to restart the Jewish Kingdom of Israel. That sounds interesting to me, is it particularly fun/as crushingly hard as it sounds?

Yes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Any news on another hotfix?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Those of you who primarily roleplay... what do you do when you have a regency? Pretty much nothing? Or do you go by the regent's traits to figure out what actions to take?

Depends on why I have the regency; if it's for an adult who's become incapable, I role play as the regent, since the actual ruler is knocked the gently caress out and so the regent's presumably making all the decisions; if I'm a child I role play according to the child's traits, assuming that the regent is taking a more background role, more providing guidance and minimizing damage than completely ruling.

Anyone who doesn't role play probably thinks I sound like the biggest dork right now, but gently caress it, the game's more fun this way :cheeky:

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
This is kinda petty, but is there a way to change nation color and flags? Just made Britannia and really don't like the color.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's quite hard, but not particularly fun. The Jewish ruler events are really not fleshed out (unless I'm missing something), and once you've actually formed Israel you don't seem to get any other cultural/religious events, aside from forming a holy order. I had fun going from a ruler designed Jewish King of Georgia to forming Israel after stabbing my way into being the Byzantine Emperor, but that was basically the same fun as vanilla CK2.

It just seems kinda weird that a DLC called Sons of Abraham does more to make Christianity interesting than anything else...

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Sons of Abraham refers to Abrahamic religions, Judaism being only one of them.

FingersMaloy fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 26, 2013

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There aren't anymore major bugs?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Like James said, there aren't any more showstopping bugs, but they've said they're aiming for a larger update in mid-December that may, one can hope, rebalance whatever needs rebalancing.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Depends on why I have the regency; if it's for an adult who's become incapable, I role play as the regent, since the actual ruler is knocked the gently caress out and so the regent's presumably making all the decisions; if I'm a child I role play according to the child's traits, assuming that the regent is taking a more background role, more providing guidance and minimizing damage than completely ruling.

Anyone who doesn't role play probably thinks I sound like the biggest dork right now, but gently caress it, the game's more fun this way :cheeky:

Pretty much this. As a child, your regent has nasty things they can do to you. In my Kingdom of Venice game, I got declared insane by my regent/stepmother and locked in a tower with the Incapable trait until I died "Bedridden and Infirm"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

How exactly can you make a playable Republic?

I've tried granting coastal counties to a mayor and it makes a Republic that is unplayable.

• Locked thread