Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Dessert Rose posted:

Playing the main stage of a massive must be insane.

I've opened for a few headliners and played peak time second stage in my time, having that whole crowd practically shaking the building is pretty surreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Dessert Rose posted:

I've just reached the point of being able to play on one of the best sound systems in town on a regular basis. All of my music seriously sounds like 400x better on that thing, it's so much fun.

I also enjoy playing other people's living rooms when they have good systems :)

Playing the main stage of a massive must be insane.

Having many thousands of watts of bass is always fun.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

oredun posted:

Having many thousands of watts of bass is always fun.

There's this venue in DC where the place they usually put the line to get in goes past the transformer that feeds power to the building. The music is so loud you can hear it from there, and it's insane to me to hear the timbre of the transformer hum changing in time with the big bass hits. I can only imagine being in control of such awesomeness.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 25, 2013

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

We hired a photog to come take some sweet pics of us for a presskit. They turned out pretty well in my opinion. We gave him as much as he could drink and hooked him up with the manager in return for him taking these pctures for us. Pretty good trade, something to consider if you need some sweet pics for gigs and poo poo like that. Im in the tie and you can see my dj partner in the background. Weve been playing around with a guitarist and MC, which is why we wanted the pics for a presskit in the first place.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Asked this in the Mac thread, but probably better here: Anyone have recommendations for a laptop stand for a 15" MBP that is sturdy, height adjustable and rugged enough to survive some travel/gigs?

I've been looking at the Crane Stand Pro/Plus or various Odyssey models. Anyone have experience with these?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Splinter posted:

Asked this in the Mac thread, but probably better here: Anyone have recommendations for a laptop stand for a 15" MBP that is sturdy, height adjustable and rugged enough to survive some travel/gigs?

I've been looking at the Crane Stand Pro/Plus or various Odyssey models. Anyone have experience with these?

Crane stand is the only one worth a poo poo IMO. You pay dearly for the quality though.

I honestly really like the griffin brand stands like they sell at the mac store. Its not very tall and doesnt pack up very well but its super sturdy.

And ill say it again: stands suck and you should tuck your computer as far from your face as you can. Its a distraction.

oredun fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 26, 2013

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I use a Crane Pro...worth the money. The Stanton Uberstand would be worth it if it were 15 bucks but since it's like 70 for some reason, it's a giant rip off.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Yeah I would go with the Crane Stand. I ended up going with the Uberstand because a relative was selling it for real cheap, but if I didn't have that option then I would have gone for the Crane.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Crane Stand it is. Anyone know if there's much of a difference in quality between the Pro and Plus besides the interface tray on the Pro?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

They're both made of different materials. I believe the Pro weighs a lot less and is made of a more durable metal.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Cranes are great.
Odyssey stands are fine for semi-permanent installations because they are annoying to put together, but they do the job and are inexpensive if you shop around.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Alright: so I'm playing my first bar this Friday from 10pm until close. I have everything I need and am mostly just nervous. I'm friends with the owner and know lots of the clientele. This place has been packed out the past few Fridays with another local DJ playing hip hop and top 40. I plan on going this route music wise while peppering the set with some more eclectic stuff where I think I can get away with it.

I'm getting nervous already and maybe am wondering if there is something I'm forgetting or something more I can do? Any hints or tricks I should know playing a bar? Any tracks I should never ever play that I may mistakenly be packing?

I'm gonna invite a lot of people and premix some piss break tracks, too.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Relax, and look like you are having fun.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

vanilla slimfast posted:

Relax, and look like you are having fun.

That's my game plan so far. Drink a little (not a lot) and have fun with it.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I'm assuming you're playing a pretty long set, so make sure you pace your tracks and don't blow all of your good poo poo right at the start. Is there a dance floor? If there is don't panic if its not packed early on. I see a lot of new DJs freak out and drop big tracks or go hard because its 10:30 and nobody is dancing.

Also you might cut songs short or completely out of your playlist depending on the vibe so make sure you have more than enough tracks to fit the time you need to play.

Otherwise have fun! Personally I prefer mixed drinks over beer because I don't have to use the bathroom as much..

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Firaga posted:

I'm assuming you're playing a pretty long set, so make sure you pace your tracks and don't blow all of your good poo poo right at the start. Is there a dance floor? If there is don't panic if its not packed early on. I see a lot of new DJs freak out and drop big tracks or go hard because its 10:30 and nobody is dancing.

Also you might cut songs short or completely out of your playlist depending on the vibe so make sure you have more than enough tracks to fit the time you need to play.

Otherwise have fun! Personally I prefer mixed drinks over beer because I don't have to use the bathroom as much..

No dancefloor - though sometimes people congregate to dance I've noticed. Thanks - I'm packing way more music than I'll need and definitely pacing myself and working my music into waves of higher BPM, slower, more popular banging tracks later on. I'm just imagining how I like to see a night go musically and fashioning it that way.

If I order mixed drinks from these maniacs I'll never make it past midnight. Some of these bartenders used to put shots of vodka in my beers when I played guitar and sang for them before.

Thanks for all the encouragement and tips, y'all. This thread is great.

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW

19 o'clock posted:

Thanks for all the encouragement and tips, y'all. This thread is great.

(10:17pm) It's my friend's birthday. Can you play something we can dance to?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Kid Gloves posted:

(10:17pm) It's my friend's birthday. Can you play something we can dance to?

[Plays Cupid Shuffle]

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

[Plays Cupid Shuffle]
Notices how songs like this are the only thing that make people happy sometimes. Begins to reevaluate life.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Night is over! Went awesome: bartenders said it was great, owner paid me extra, and I was booked for NYE. Dancing got such that my table got shoved back almost a foot with people bouncing around in front. Should have hung my extra lights.

I piped into the house sound and ran an extra JBL EON 515XT next to the stage. Mounted a Chauvette RGB Palette on the speaker stand which I kicked on when people started to dance. 90's hip hop is what the owner wanted but requests came in that I also filled. Some dude paid me $20 to play a song which was nice. Everyone was happy and I even got some curious DJs/musicians checking out my Ableton setup.

I really felt out how the set was going and bought a lot of songs on the fly to take care of the odds and ends I didn't have already. Loads of songs that I never thought would be any good were the big killers tonight (Run DMC, Master P, YG, Carly Rae Jepsen). Loads of fun.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for their help and guidance. Keeping it simple was the name of the game and it worked. Next gig is an acoustic show in 11 hours...time to repack my gig bags.

Edit: Full disclosure: I did flub a couple transitions where I left certain effects on on certain decks, but ironed it out. Also: I wore my Etymotics and am THANKFUL I did. I would have been deaf without them.

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW
Grats dude, glad it went well. Don't worry about loving up transitions, unless you REALLY gently caress it up nobody will notice. Even if you do really gently caress it up just cut straight over to the new track and everyone will have forgotten in 30 seconds. What is your Ableton setup? I always thought playing rap on Ableton was kind of a pain but it seems like it works for you.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Which etymotics did you wear? You mean headphones or earplugs?

Does anyone have a suggestion for cheapish DJing headphones? like 50-100 dollars off of Amazon would be preferable.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I use the Isotonik 9 template which I will soon be gutting. Mixing is solid with warped tracks. Everything is already locked to the global BPM. I'll usually loop a passage from the ending song, cut the downbeat, and bring in the new song. Dropping the beat is tricky because everything is locked into the global BPM. What I do in those cases is remove the warp from the new track, fade to grey on the old as the new one comes in. It's tough/nigh impossible to beatmatch in Ableton manually. At least with my experience.

I used the Etymotic plugs from the OP. I love that I can talk normal with them in. Great equipment to have around.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Anyone else using in-ears at all? I find them easier to cue tracks with personally due to them sitting right in my ear. It also means I don't need to run the volume as loud which saves my hearing a bit.

I notice Wolfgang Gartner uses them but I've never really seen anyone else doing so.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

88h88 posted:

Anyone else using in-ears at all? I find them easier to cue tracks with personally due to them sitting right in my ear. It also means I don't need to run the volume as loud which saves my hearing a bit.

I notice Wolfgang Gartner uses them but I've never really seen anyone else doing so.

I've used them for about 9 years. Ety ER4s for production and DJing

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

88h88 posted:

I just started using them because im gonna make myself go deaf if i dont change something.

Theyre great when DJing by yourself and no requests, one is good if theres requests, and theyre impossible to use if djing with someone else.

They only thing is, you have to be very confident you wont gently caress poo poo up live because sometimes you may not be able to even hear it.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
Vinyl Users -- Any opinions on the Stanton ST-150? I'm currently rocking with a 1200 and a lovely stanton direct drive deck. I'm looking to upgrade to either 2 1200's or maybe this ST150 since it is reasonably cheap..

Thoughts?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I have the STR8-150 and I love it. The only problems are that it's heavier than a 1200 (I think by 10 lbs?) and repairing it is going to suck. With 1200s, you have tons of shops that can fix just about anything and they still can repair it because there are a ton of 1200s lying around. With the Stantons, it's either get an authorized repair by shipping it to Stanton in Florida or trust that the shop can figure it out. The Stantons are pretty well made though.

keevo fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 12, 2013

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!

keevo posted:

I have the STR8-150 and I love it. The only problems are that it's heavier than a 1200 (I think by 10 lbs?) and repairing it is going to suck. With 1200s, you have tons of shops that can fix just about anything and they still can repair it because there are a ton of 1200s lying around. With the Stantons, it's either get an authorized repair by shipping it to Stanton in Florida or trust that the shop can figure it out. The Stantons are pretty well made though.

Thanks I ordered the non straight armed one. It'll be here next week when im out of town :(

So how did everyone come up with their DJ names? I just moved to a real city and I'm now tasked with coming up with a name. In my hometown, I'd just go by my legal name since everyone knew who I was anyway.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Crunchtime posted:

In my hometown, I'd just go by my legal name since everyone knew who I was anyway.

Stick with this.

Brock Velocity
Aug 5, 2012
Part of me feels like it's a waste of an opportunity to go with your real name and that people who do that aren't being very creative, but really I'm just bitter that I don't have a particularly catchy or appealing real name. If I did, I'd totally use it.

I was using my burner name for a while, but I'm currently in a bit of a DJ name identity crisis and I'm teetering between two right now. None of the many names I've tried have felt 100% "right," but maybe that's just how it goes.

Brock Velocity fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 14, 2013

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Last week I was MC Square Pizza (E = MC Square Pizza). I like DJ Lunch Break, DJ Use-your-real-name, and what I'll probably use on NYE of MC Super Duper. I'm in the situation where everyone in town knows me, so i guess it's about having fun with it.

Last week being my first proper gig I was surprised at how many people rocked up and my DJ name was the first thing they were curious about.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
I think DJ DJ Booth is the best name I've ever heard.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Crunchtime posted:

Thanks I ordered the non straight armed one. It'll be here next week when im out of town :(

So how did everyone come up with their DJ names? I just moved to a real city and I'm now tasked with coming up with a name. In my hometown, I'd just go by my legal name since everyone knew who I was anyway.

I got a new job and after a while they were all saying I needed a new name because i was just using my regular rear end name. So they made one for me. My name is Justin. So naturally they decided my DJ name is DJ Just Inflamed.

And I had no power over what they put in ads and poo poo.

So now what I do is just say my name is red and DJ name is red (I'm a ginger) and its a decent enough name and it helps me remember random people from work(cause nobody in real life calls me red).

I don't know the moral of this story but don't be that guy with a stupid name. Like DJ A55 Pl4y for instance.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Be Depressive posted:

I think DJ DJ Booth is the best name I've ever heard.

DJ Kanye Asada is my favorite.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Flosstoevsky

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So I'm thinking of getting a controller. At home I have a set of CDJ350s and a DJM250 to play with and when I'm out playing the setup is a pair of CDJ2000s and a DJM800, I'd quite like the same functionality at home so when I go play I can use the 2000s to their fullest extent (hotcues etc which my 350s lack). Am I right in thinking the DDJ-SX is essentially a pair of 2000s in terms of the amount of function it has? It seems to have everything plus a wee bit more.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
May have been posted in here before, but on the topic of DJ names: http://youtu.be/yckFraBoieo

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Flosstradamus is already in use, so I assume someone will have this as their actual DJ/group name before too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

88h88 posted:

So I'm thinking of getting a controller. At home I have a set of CDJ350s and a DJM250 to play with and when I'm out playing the setup is a pair of CDJ2000s and a DJM800, I'd quite like the same functionality at home so when I go play I can use the 2000s to their fullest extent (hotcues etc which my 350s lack). Am I right in thinking the DDJ-SX is essentially a pair of 2000s in terms of the amount of function it has? It seems to have everything plus a wee bit more.

The 2000s can act as controllers for both Traktor and Serato... as far as I know. If you've got a Mac, I'm pretty sure they can also be set up as an aggregate audio device, as in, as soundcards. I'm not familiar with Serato but with Traktor this + their controller functionality should allow you to bring your laptop and use the gear exactly as you normally do, no? Just bring a couple of USB cables and your laptop and you're set.

DJ Coitus Mayfield
DJ Floss Whedon
DJ Javier Bun'Dem
DJ Fuckminster Buller
The Credible Hulk