Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Beach Bum posted:

Buying and swapping in an E30 LSD is a $150/2h venture.

BraveUlysses posted:

E30 differentials are not swappable into e36's.

Pretty sure he meant get a LSD for the E30. There are a poo poo load available, multiple ratios and as he said it's a quick swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Nuts to that then, m3 parts command a stupid premium around here even if they're not unique to the m3, like interior trim. I imagine I could buy a crashed one for the price of a pulled subframe.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Lightbulb Out posted:

My M20 with 199,556 miles on it doesn't burn any oil :smugdog:

My M42 with 188k burns about a quart every 4000 miles, though :smith:

My M54 with 120k eats around a quart every 7500 miles. It's also got a small leak in the filter housing gasket though (I already have a new gasket, I just haven't put it in yet; waiting until I replace the whole cooling system).

Speaking of which, anyone have a complete list of all the part #'s for all the cooling system bits so I can order them up this weekend? Wanna do the water pump, thermostat, upper and lower hoses, expansion tank, and radiator, is there anything else missing from that list (gaskets, etc)?

BraveUlysses posted:

Only the E46M3 was lucky enough to get a LSD. Pretty sure you have to swap the entire rear subframe and differential to get it to work.

It's cheaper to just buy a Quaife LSD and swap it into the housing if you have a non-M E46.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
And even then it's stupid expensive. It was enough that I asked "why the gently caress don't I just buy an e36 M3"? Then I did.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I wonder if vorschlag ever got their 9" ford rear swap done for the e46.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Nitin Spazzz posted:

Pretty sure he meant get a LSD for the E30. There are a poo poo load available, multiple ratios and as he said it's a quick swap.

As someone in Wisconsin that daily drives an e30, I can confirm that with snow tires and an LSD, it is wonderful in the snow. I'm being stubborn though. Still have my summers on, that quick patch of snow from this morning already cleared up.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Dyscrasia posted:

As someone in Wisconsin that daily drives an e30, I can confirm that with snow tires and an LSD, it is wonderful in the snow. I'm being stubborn though. Still have my summers on, that quick patch of snow from this morning already cleared up.

I'm in the same boat but I live in Iowa, which still gets a fair amount of snow. LSD was the first upgrade I did to my 318 because it was really stupid with the open diff. $300 and two hours, even with me who is a big noob doing it.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Speaking of which, anyone have a complete list of all the part #'s for all the cooling system bits so I can order them up this weekend? Wanna do the water pump, thermostat, upper and lower hoses, expansion tank, and radiator, is there anything else missing from that list (gaskets, etc)?

I'm assuming you have an e46...

Expansion tank cap, coolant level sender (these are the most delicate/fragile things in existence, I looked at one too long and it broke), bleeder screw, temp sensor and depending on how anal you are the lines to the heater core.

BavAuto makes a decent kit:
Automatics
Manuals

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 23, 2013

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BraveUlysses posted:

I wonder if vorschlag ever got their 9" ford rear swap done for the e46.

Still in progress last time I checked. They finished the basic LSx kit finally though.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Viper_3000 posted:

I'm assuming you have an e46...

Expansion tank cap, coolant level sender (these are the most delicate/fragile things in existence, I looked at one too long and it broke), bleeder screw, temp sensor and depending on how anal you are the lines to the heater core.

BavAuto makes a decent kit:
Automatics
Manuals

Ah, good, I forgot about the sensors. I'm leery of buying a kit since most of them don't list the brand of the components, and I only want OEM parts, no cheap URO or other knockoff brands, and I'm avoiding metal impeller pumps since I've heard those can eat the bearings faster than an OEM pump - so I'm just going to buy the individual bits from whichever vendor has each OEM part cheapest.

And doh, yeah it's an E46 330i manual (I realized I hadn't actually posted the model right after I posted that and left the house :ughh:)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I should have mentioned I have an e30 325is, so I already have a LSD.

Popete fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 24, 2013

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

Ah, good, I forgot about the sensors. I'm leery of buying a kit since most of them don't list the brand of the components, and I only want OEM parts, no cheap URO or other knockoff brands, and I'm avoiding metal impeller pumps since I've heard those can eat the bearings faster than an OEM pump - so I'm just going to buy the individual bits from whichever vendor has each OEM part cheapest.

Weird, I've only heard terrible things about the composite impellers. I think the OEM ones actually switched to a metal design if I'm not mistaken. Maybe the consensus has changed since I ordered a water pump. (I put a GRAF in mine which is OEM quality)

One if those "since you're in there" things if you haven't done it are the tensioners and belts. You will never have as much room as when you pull the radiator, so it's a good time if you've put it off.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha, I was confused by the impeller thing too, but evidently the composite ones really are more well-regarded than the metal ones. Then again I think brand is more important than the material when it comes to these stupid rear end cooling systems.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So I just got my first brand new car :) Its a lease that goes thru my new company so it was a bit easier to tell myself its ok :)

320i silver with sports package shot taken with my nex 6 wide angle at the top of "the snake"

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

BrokenKnucklez posted:

god drat, if you don't buy it, your dumb as gently caress (if your looking for an M3).

I put an offer in. It's being dropped off Monday and going straight into storage. Flurries are starting to happen. And it's never seen winter. Cutting it close. :ohdear:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Viper_3000 posted:

Weird, I've only heard terrible things about the composite impellers. I think the OEM ones actually switched to a metal design if I'm not mistaken. Maybe the consensus has changed since I ordered a water pump. (I put a GRAF in mine which is OEM quality)

One if those "since you're in there" things if you haven't done it are the tensioners and belts. You will never have as much room as when you pull the radiator, so it's a good time if you've put it off.

They switched to metal, then to composite at some point. I removed a metal one from my m3 and it had an uncomfortable amount of shaft play. A lot of people online confuse composite with plastic and make lots of dumb claims on bf.c

On an e46 with electric fan I wouldn't bother doing the tensioners unless you had to. It takes 2 seconds to pop the fan off and that gives you more then enough room to work. Change the belts since they're already coming off but my unless there is an issue with one of the tensioners I'd save my money.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'd either run composite or Stewart and nothing else (I chose Stewart).

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
So I have been making very slow process on the transmission swap from auto to manual in the 92 325 when I had the bright idea to actually check the fluid level. It turned out to be more than a liter low. I am thinking this may be why the auto wasn't shifting past 2nd when driving. Interestingly when I was waking up the transmission it would engage in all 4 gears, but it was on jack stands. Does this sound crazy? I haven't started to tear it apart yet so I may use it as a winter beater....

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sure, it's possible it might work for now when it's full.....but the damage has undoubtedly already been done. It's just a matter of how long it will last.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Snow is here, and I got to test out the Dynamic Traction Control on the E91. On standard settings it's like driving on rails, no matter how sloppy and slippy the surface is (within reason and the laws of physics). A single press of the DTC button on the dash lets you hang out the rear end and hold it there with the wheels spinning, with the computer only kicking in when you're about to run spectacularly out of talent. A three second hold of the button, and all systems except ABS are off, and you can throw the car around as much as you like. The E91 chassis in free mode seems pretty well balanced and I never feel like I can't correct a slide I initiated myself no matter how wide, while my previous E36 seemed to have only one mission in life: To spin 180 degrees within the first 10th of a second after traction slips. It was absolutely impossible to hold a slide with it, so after a few tries, I just gave it up and drove like a grandma the rest of the time I owned it.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Motronic posted:

Sure, it's possible it might work for now when it's full.....but the damage has undoubtedly already been done. It's just a matter of how long it will last.

Oh I have no doubt it will crap out in the near future.

We will see what the road test does. I am getting the brakes in order and need a new coil at the back before I drive it.

I am looking at the 'heavy duty' type rear spring. Are they with it over stock from a handling perspective?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

E30 differentials are not swappable into e36's.

This isn't entirely true IIRC. You can swap the guts.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

evobatman posted:

Snow is here, and I got to test out the Dynamic Traction Control on the E91. On standard settings it's like driving on rails, no matter how sloppy and slippy the surface is (within reason and the laws of physics). A single press of the DTC button on the dash lets you hang out the rear end and hold it there with the wheels spinning, with the computer only kicking in when you're about to run spectacularly out of talent. A three second hold of the button, and all systems except ABS are off, and you can throw the car around as much as you like. The E91 chassis in free mode seems pretty well balanced and I never feel like I can't correct a slide I initiated myself no matter how wide, while my previous E36 seemed to have only one mission in life: To spin 180 degrees within the first 10th of a second after traction slips. It was absolutely impossible to hold a slide with it, so after a few tries, I just gave it up and drove like a grandma the rest of the time I owned it.

The drive into my apartments involves taking a right, doing a turnaround and then turning into the complex. That turnaround always ends in a powerslide into the right hand lane if there's no traffic because my 1er is so balanced and fun.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So it snowed a few inches this morning, decided to hold off and came into work later. The e36 M3 feels like I'm on ice skates on even the slightest snow/wet surface. I was white knuckling the whole way going ~30mph in a 40mph zone well being passed. Anytime I would give it gas over 2k rpm I felt like I was just on the verge of getting into a slide. I've lived in Wisconsin pretty much my whole life and I'm used to driving in snow, I've owned 2 e30's and a few other vehicles and have never had such problems getting around. I'm ready to put the M3 in storage and bring down the e30 this week. Maybe I'm just driving wrong, but I have ACS on. I am using my performance summer tires so that could be a big part of it, my e30 has Blizzaks which help a lot.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Popete posted:

I am using my performance summer tires so that could be a big part of it, my e30 has Blizzaks which help a lot.

Uh yes that is 100% of the problem.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Popete posted:

I am using my performance summer tires so that could be a big part of it, my e30 has Blizzaks which help a lot.

Sticky performance tires turn into lovely hockey pucks when it's cold. More likely your tires have EVERYTHING TO DO with it. E36 M3 is perfectly stable and driveable in the snow if you have the right tires. Throw performance summer rubber on your E30 and it will be garbage in the snow too.

Either get proper tires or park the E36 and go sign up for a winter driving school with northstarbmw.org. I instructed with them for years and they put on great events.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the car is of course a dream on dry road, but it's a nightmare with these tires in slushy snow/ice. I'll survive the next few days until I can get the e30 from my parents, I guess I should have figured the the tires would be it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yesterday the yellow SES light came on in my E46. I drove over to an Autozone during my lunch break to try to get the code pulled, but the reader kept having a connection error despite several attempts. The guy seemed to know what he was doing, though he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Plugging in the reader with the car off would light up the reader, so I assume that it is getting power from the OBD2 port. It looked like he entered the car model manually (2004 330Ci), and then the reader would tell him to wait like 10 seconds then turn the key to on. At this point the reader said connection error and wouldn't pull any codes.

I suppose its possible the reader is bad, but it seems like the Autozone guy would know if that was the case. Any guesses as to what the heck is wrong? I'm probably going to try again at a different store tonight, is there anything I should check before then or to try specifically?

Update: Ugh, I'm an idiot. It seems my gas cap must have been loose. Tightened it up and the SES light went out within a few miles. All my automotive nerd cred out the window. :downs: Still though I might order an OBD2 reader on Amazon and make sure I can get it to connect just to verify that the port is working...

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 26, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Popete posted:

Yeah the car is of course a dream on dry road, but it's a nightmare with these tires in slushy snow/ice. I'll survive the next few days until I can get the e30 from my parents, I guess I should have figured the the tires would be it.

Famous last words. Not only do summer tires do horribly in cold, but some of the stickier compounds start rapidly decomposing in below freezing temperatures. You keep driving it and you may find those tires cracked and hard as concrete ifwhen you pull the car out next spring.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Das Volk posted:

Famous last words. Not only do summer tires do horribly in cold, but some of the stickier compounds start rapidly decomposing in below freezing temperatures. You keep driving it and you may find those tires cracked and hard as concrete ifwhen you pull the car out next spring.

I'm taking it up Thursday morning and there is no snow/rain predicted between now and then. I don't really have another option, it's a 4 hour drive to get the e30.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I got caught in some early snow squalls in my E34 last week with the summers on. The car would get sideways at 80km/h in 5th gear if I gave it any gas at all. Every time I let out the clutch on the way up to that speed my car spun up the LSD and became a hover craft. I pointed the front tires straight and did :stare: all the way home.

I had my winter tires on the next day and now I can produce two magnificent LSD assisted rooster tails of awesome every time I start moving.

8ender fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 26, 2013

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oikDqgjI9jY

Why doesn't this work on my '98 E36 M3. :saddowns:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
It's called throw away that stupid angled throttle body. I've got a bimmerworld ASC delete elbow waiting to go on this winter along with all the 3.5" intake stuff. I've always found the ASC system very intrusive and rough. It never worked on my 328is and I never needed it with good winter tires.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

It's called throw away that stupid angled throttle body.

Shouldn't that work though?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ziploc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oikDqgjI9jY

Why doesn't this work on my '98 E36 M3. :saddowns:

My DSC turns off automatically as soon as i initiate the first drift :smug:

The trick is to have a fuckered steering angle sensor.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ziploc posted:

I put an offer in. It's being dropped off Monday and going straight into storage. Flurries are starting to happen. And it's never seen winter. Cutting it close. :ohdear:

Result. Delivered on a nice try day. Just before snow.

(My place doesn't have proper storage yet, so I'm temporarily reclaiming my old parking spot at my parents. My bike is still there too.)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ziploc posted:

(My place doesn't have proper storage yet, so I'm temporarily reclaiming my old parking spot at my parents. My bike is still there too.)

It's a beauty!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yes it is. More pics.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Ziploc posted:

How dare you not post more pics of that beautiful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Dakar Yellow is the only good non-supercar yellow. Well, besides Bahama Yellow (911)