Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can't get a motomaker for Verizon that cheap now anyways, it seems they sold out of the 16gb options for Verizon. Only 32gb are available now on Moto's site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Super Dude posted:

I thought I remembered the X being $50, whereas it is starting at $100 on the site. Since the 32GB adds $50, I figured I was missing a coupon somewhere.

Yeah, there was the sale, but at $150 for the 32GB it's still a great deal.

RetailMeNot had a $50 off coupon for Verizon and the X, but I don't think it worked on the MotoMaker site, so you'd be stuck with either black or white if you went that route. But that might not be a big deal anymore, since it looks like OEM backs are making it to eBay.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, there was the sale, but at $150 for the 32GB it's still a great deal.

RetailMeNot had a $50 off coupon for Verizon and the X, but I don't think it worked on the MotoMaker site, so you'd be stuck with either black or white if you went that route. But that might not be a big deal anymore, since it looks like OEM backs are making it to eBay.

FYI, replacing the back cover on a Moto X is not a trivial process.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Motorola+Moto+X+Back+Cover+Replacement/16971

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Well no.

But I'm the type of person that replaced the glass (just the glass) on an S3, so it's all relative.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
If you only replace the back you won't get the custom accents, either.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
so um...the HTC One Max.

Holy poo poo is it huge.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mighty Horse posted:

so um...the HTC One Max.

Holy poo poo is it huge.

I don't think the size is that big of a deal, it'll be the weight. How heavy is that thing? The HTC one was already a pretty drat heavy phone compared to the other flagships at the time.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
No no you see this is totally worth it as it has a fingerprint scanner like the iPhone.

E: For weight: the Droid Maxx is 167g and the One Maxx is 217g

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 21, 2013

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I just got an email from corporate (Costco) that any phone purchased in the next 14 days will be eligible for a Black Friday price match after BF. Will update you guys with our pricing whenever I get it.

EDIT: I'll know Monday.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 22, 2013

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I don't think the size is that big of a deal, it'll be the weight. How heavy is that thing? The HTC one was already a pretty drat heavy phone compared to the other flagships at the time.

Yeah, its noticeably heavy I am pretty sure my Dell Venus 8" Tablet is lighter.

I will say this, it is REALLY nice to type on.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Defenestration posted:

I'm headed to Montreal for a 4 day conference. I have unlimited data on a "nationwide talk and text share 700" plan that I share with my parents. I use Google voice for texts, and I plan to use maps for getting around in the city.

Will I be slammed with roaming data charges? Will I be able to do these things at all? What should I do?

You should probably get the $25/100MB Verizon global data roaming deal turned on for the month. And be conservative in using it. I'd normally say to get a local prepaid sim but everything I've looked at shows that trying to do so in Canada is a huge expensive pain.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I posted this in the Chromecast thread, but it looks like Verizon is selling Chromecasts online with free shipping. Corporate discounts apply, or at least mine does. So if you were thinking of getting one for yourself or for an xmas gift, you might be able to get one 25% off and shipped free.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

My 25% discount doesn't appear to apply to that or Bluetooth accessories

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've heard lots of horror stories about Asurion but my first experience with them has been nothing short of ideal. $99 to replace a shattered screen on a Maxx with a phone that's probably refurbished but seems to be in like-new condition, and which I had in my hands 24 hours after filing a claim. Thanks again to whoever recommended the open enrollment. You're a life-saver.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

FordPRefectLL posted:

My 25% discount doesn't appear to apply to that or Bluetooth accessories

Some discounts are on service, or accessories, or on service and accessories. Your My Verizon online account should show what your discount gets you.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Some discounts are on service, or accessories, or on service and accessories. Your My Verizon online account should show what your discount gets you.

I'm aware of the difference between access and accessory. I have a 20% access and a 25% accessory discount. When I go to the store, it doesn't discount Bluetooth speakers (headsets are discounted) and doesn't discount the Chromecast either.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

FordPRefectLL posted:

I'm aware of the difference between access and accessory. I have a 20% access and a 25% accessory discount. When I go to the store, it doesn't discount Bluetooth speakers (headsets are discounted) and doesn't discount the Chromecast either.

Calm down. I was just checking.

FTR, I have a 25% accessory discount, too, and it does not apply.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

FordPRefectLL posted:

Most corporate discounts don't extend to "smart" accessories, which includes Chromecast.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
It can't hurt to call and talk to a rep about getting a discount. I bought a big jambox online about a year ago and the discount didn't apply at the checkout. I called and they applied my %25 with no fuss.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

It can't hurt to call and talk to a rep about getting a discount. I bought a big jambox online about a year ago and the discount didn't apply at the checkout. I called and they applied my %25 with no fuss.

I just opened a chat with a rep and they claim that the employee discount doesn't apply to all accessories and she said they don't offer it on the Chromecast. Oh well.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I just opened a chat with a rep and they claim that the employee discount doesn't apply to all accessories and she said they don't offer it on the Chromecast. Oh well.

I'm tempted to offer to sell you mine at the "discounted" price. I want so, so badly to love my CC, but it hates my router (I guess) because it refuses to play anything, at least in a watchable way, besides Netflix, so it's just been plugged into my TV for a month or two now, useless.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It must have been a pricing error that they later corrected. I just went back tonight because I was thinking about getting one for a family member for Christmas, and it's showing $35 instead of $26.25 like it used to be.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I just got a big pile of $100 mail in rebates for the Galaxy S4 in at Costco. Looks like we are doing it for at least $29.99 for Black Friday.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

FordPRefectLL posted:

I just got a big pile of $100 mail in rebates for the Galaxy S4 in at Costco. Looks like we are doing it for at least $29.99 for Black Friday.

Man I wish we had a Costco around here.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I wish I didn't have to wait until february before getting a new phone.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

If I pay full price for a Verizon phone (eg on Ebay) and add a line to my wife's account, I don't have to agree to a two year commitment, correct? I can cancel the line and not pay an ETF?

Will I still be eligible for the contract pricing on a smartphone?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

tonic posted:

If I pay full price for a Verizon phone (eg on Ebay) and add a line to my wife's account, I don't have to agree to a two year commitment, correct? I can cancel the line and not pay an ETF?

Will I still be eligible for the contract pricing on a smartphone?

Yes to all.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
If I port out the primary line of an off-contract, 2-line, old-style family plan will that start a new contract for the remaining line and remove its unlimited data plan? Would it matter if I switched the primary line to secondary first?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Naffer posted:

If I port out the primary line of an off-contract, 2-line, old-style family plan will that start a new contract for the remaining line and remove its unlimited data plan? Would it matter if I switched the primary line to secondary first?

Pretty sure it's no to all. Contracts only get made when you get a new device.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Does anyone known if a Verizon iPhone 5 will work on any carriers in the UK? Hopefully with 4G.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Does anyone known if a Verizon iPhone 5 will work on any carriers in the UK? Hopefully with 4G.

Scroll down to A1429/CDMA. No dice for LTE in the UK. You should be OK on the GSM side, though, it's quad-band 3G.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

kitten smoothie posted:

Scroll down to A1429/CDMA. No dice for LTE in the UK. You should be OK on the GSM side, though, it's quad-band 3G.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

It looks like the CDMA version uses band 3, and so does EE according to Wikipedia. So in theory wouldn't there be *some* LTE on EE? Has anyone tried this? I wonder how good the coves his since it's only one band...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chupacabraTERROR posted:

It looks like the CDMA version uses band 3, and so does EE according to Wikipedia. So in theory wouldn't there be *some* LTE on EE? Has anyone tried this? I wonder how good the coves his since it's only one band...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Huh, I misread that Apple page and I guess the list really should read "networks we sell this model for," not "networks it will actually work on."

There are people saying they got it working in Europe, but I saw at least a few people who also said in order to use LTE once they put in a foreign SIM, they had to do an iTunes wipe/restore in order to trigger the correct carrier settings bundle being downloaded.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
Is it true the Note 3 radio has every single LTE band? So if you SIM unlocked it, it could work on every LTE carrier in the world?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Huh, I misread that Apple page and I guess the list really should read "networks we sell this model for," not "networks it will actually work on."

There are people saying they got it working in Europe, but I saw at least a few people who also said in order to use LTE once they put in a foreign SIM, they had to do an iTunes wipe/restore in order to trigger the correct carrier settings bundle being downloaded.
This site will change its APN settings which should work just fine.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Is that 6GB data max plan still valid? And can I call Verizon's 800 number or do I have to go to a store? The Verizon store near me is terrible and I'd like to avoid them.

There are a few contract stores (like, not official VZW) stores around, if those work I'll try them.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Psion posted:

Is that 6GB data max plan still valid? And can I call Verizon's 800 number or do I have to go to a store? The Verizon store near me is terrible and I'd like to avoid them.

There are a few contract stores (like, not official VZW) stores around, if those work I'll try them.

The Max plan is still around, and is available through Telesales, so no need to go to the store.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Recently upgraded to a G2, and had to take the first one back. It wouldn't hold a reliable wireless signal to any source, including my home router. It also seemed to bleed battery life like it had a goddamned hole in it somewhere.

The second one's WiFi is perfect, but I noticed it was still bleeding battery life...and I found out why. Chrome. I've replaced (well, disabled) Chrome and replaced it with Firefox for Android and Dolphin Jetpack and all of a sudden Chrome's no longer showing up on battery statistics of taking more of my phone's power than the screen (seriously, at one point it was something like 33% to the screen's 21).

There's evidently a way to get Chrome to behave by enabling Developer Flags, but no matter what I did in either the release or beta version of Chrome, even using ADB Debugging, I couldn't get that option to become 'enabled' for me under the "Flags" tab on the phone. Oh well. I'll make do with Firefox.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 26, 2013

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's evidently a way to get Chrome to behave by enabling Developer Flags, but no matter what I did in either the release or beta version of Chrome, even using ADB Debugging, I couldn't get that option to become 'enabled' for me under the "Flags" tab on the phone. Oh well. I'll make do with Firefox.

Can you shed some more light on this Chrome battery drain bug? I've been using it for easily over a year, on various devices (Moto, HTC, and Samsung) and I've never heard of, nor have I experienced it doing that. I've only ever faced the location drain bug and Maps bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
My wife is using a G2, and i was looking to get a Maxx because i was impressed with her battery life, and the maxx is 2x that.

I cant say she is a heavy chrome user, but i did notice she had 50! tabs open the last time i used her phone, and chrome was not on the battery list. She was mostly screen and games.

i have noticed the GPS loses a signal sometimes

• Locked thread