Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When I was in Kaifeng finding my way from Henan University to the site of the Song dynasty imperial palace I had cause to reflect on what the Song aristocrats would have thought about the steaming 10-foot piles of garbage lining the road.

Everyone should go to Henan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

I know it's a minor thing but Hohhot is actually in Inner Mongolia, which is in the country of China. Mongolia is an entirely separate country, and after going there earlier this year, is massively insane compared to China. I've never been to Hohhot, though, so I can't really comment on it as a city, but it is DEFINITELY in China.

Fearcotton and I really want to go to Mongolia proper sometime, perhaps this year if possible. Did you do a write-up of that trip/can you post or PM me about it?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I actually like living in Henan. On days like today where you can see the sky. My life's pretty easy, there's enough to do that I don't get bored but am also not overwhelmed. People are generally pretty nice, nobody puts on airs.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
MASSIVE POST:

blinkyzero posted:

Fearcotton and I really want to go to Mongolia proper sometime, perhaps this year if possible. Did you do a write-up of that trip/can you post or PM me about it?
Mongolia is awesome. I went there back in like 2007, crossing over from some small town on the Chinese border. Had to hire a guy to drive us across the border because I don't know why. From there I took a train into Ulaan Baatar with the help of Mongolians returning from a China-shopping-spree. The ride was also awesome, going through the desert in what I'm fairly sure was an old Soviet train? Everyone kept speaking to me in Russian except a guy with a cowboy hat who wanted to talk about Jesus.

Ulaan Baatar was, again, awesome. But also sketchier than any place I've been in China. Street kids pick pocketing, teenagers pick pocketing, groups of middle aged men pick pocketing, hookers walking the streets dressed like they were going to the Thunderdome. After a day or two there, we caught a ride to some national park that had dinosaur statues. Stayed in a hotel during the off season so the staff made me play ping pong and pool for like 12 hours.

We hitch hiked back to Ulaan Baatar and found a travel service run by a Swedish guy who hooked us up with a couple of Mongolian guys to take us out into the countryside. We drove around, camped, stopped to visit random people, fished, and watched one of our guides try to catch an eagle because "Arabians pay big money for eagles." Then we did more camping and saw wild horses. All the while, the eagle hunter guide was challenging me to prove my manliness while hitting on my girlfriend.

It was nice after a year in China because it was like bizarro land. Up was down, black was white, there are like no people, the sky was blue and at night you could see goddamn stars.

Benadryl Brownie posted:

Hey guys, what can you tell me about Wuhan? I'm entertaining the idea of possibly moving there for ESL teaching. Nowhere near decided and have plenty of personal reservations, but I'm curious to know about the city.
I've only spent like a week there, but it seemed decent enough. Most of it looked to be under construction, but I didn't have many problems getting around the city (anymore than any other Chinese city, at least). I was there in July / August so it was goddamn hot. Like sun-right-next-to-your-face hot.

Is there like a particular job you're looking at? Like Argle said, it's like 3 smaller cities smashed together. I only ever went to Hankou and Wuchang (main train station is in Hankou, a lot of sites are in Wuchang). Someone told me the other area, Hanyang, is "very nice and convenient."

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Don't they call Wuhan one of the "Three Furnaces" or something like that?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Donraj posted:

Don't they call Wuhan one of the "Three Furnaces" or something like that?

Yep. Apparently it gets hot as poo poo there sometimes.
三大火炉

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Smykowski posted:

Mongolian trip report

Mine was somewhat similar.

I flew from Beijing into Ulaanbaatar (sp?) and had a friend pick me up at the airport. One of my friends over the past four years in Tianjin is a Mongolian girl who comes to Tianjin about once every two months for work and she said she'd hook anyone up who came to visit, so of course I decided I needed to go to Mongolia. We saw two accidents on the way back from the airport and she had gotten in an accident earlier that morning going to work. Too bad there isn't a :mongolia: emoticon.

I stayed at some hostel in the city, there was like only one hostel. I had traditional Mongolian food my first night with the girl, and some beers. They were good. The next day we went way out to the countryside and did offroading, which wasn't really like offroading but like the road just kinda ended and we just kept going. Wild horses everywhere, and it was April so there was a ton of snow, and we found a decent group of yurts about two or three hours outside the city, and I got to go in and see it, they were all really nice. Having a cute Mongolian girl talk with them was rather helpful, I think. We then drove a bunch and went to the new Ghangis Khan statue. Pretty cool. Massive, actually. Then went back to Ulaanbaatar.

The next day I museum hopped in the city. One was good, one was...meh. I think it was the Mongolian History Museum that was pretty worthwhile. The natural history museum was a bit rubbish, at least I think it was. Hung out at the hostel that evening and walked around a bit, but almost got hit by cars like every time I went anywhere, so that was rather unnerving.

Next day went to the national park with the dinosaurs, although didn't actually go to where the dinosaurs were for more than a minute or two, we went horseback riding up into the mountains to some monastery and hung out there for a while. It was in Terelj National Park (sp?) Was a rather long trip actually. I'm also quite poor at horseback riding, and the guide was just like "Good luck" and just took off and I don't think my horse really appreciated me as much as most horses appreciate their riders. Don't know if that was something about me or if that was something about the horse, I prefer to think he wouldn't have appreciated anyone, but I can't be certain.

Then we went and I got to play with some falcon and some camel which was kinda cool, but the camel sneezed on me, which was not very sanitary. Then we went clubbing that night and this married couple that the girl knew got wasted and had a huge fight in the middle of the dance floor. It was apparently the PREMIER club in Mongolia, which struck me as kind of cool, as I'm not sure I've ever been to a premier club in any country...ever. I went to Ashton Kutcher's bar in LA once but I got kicked out because i was wearing sandals. Pbbt. All in all, the club was a cracking time, but it was a bit expensive. Mongolia girls, not too shabby, BTW.

Had another day or two where I just walked around, Mongolia was a bit frustrating honestly because I couldn't read the language and they would put pictures outside shops that would suggest they might sell a Coca-Cola or something like this but then you get inside and it is a laundry mat and the lady says something to you and you have absolutely zero idea what she is trying to say.

Anyway, beautiful country, bars were expensive downtown, there is pretty much nothing outside of downtown which is nice coming from Tianjin, food was good, girls were beautiful, transportation was dodgy, experiences were things I could never do in the United States without signing a billion release forms. Would rate it 8/10, meaning I'd love to go back someday and am glad I did it, but have other places higher up on my list of things to do while I'm over here.

edit: I'm trying to get some pictures up for y'all.
edit 2: They are uploading.
edit 3: They finished.
edit 4: Holy poo poo they are huge lol wtf
edit 5: No idea how to make them smaller, here are the links

Out in the middle of nowhere - http://imgur.com/aB15rsd
Ghangis Khan statue - http://imgur.com/7h84Gif
Some yurt, cute little Monglian kid - http://imgur.com/L7EGpGz
I think I was the only expat under the age of 60 in this baller club - http://imgur.com/zuLg6zd
This was the only time my horse was in first place - http://imgur.com/fQt7XP2
Whoa - http://imgur.com/5yPDuKV

I literally just spent 30 minutes of my life getting these pictures up. I need to learn computers.

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 20, 2013

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
If I get this gig in Hohhot, I'm definitely going to Mongolia proper after I dick around Inner Mongolia for a bit. As long as EF doesn't completely jerk me around or screw me out of pay, I'm pretty much going to be spending every waking hour not teaching exploring poo poo.

I have to see this now. It is on my short list. I also now know what you look like and will be able to stalk you if/when I get to visit Tianjin.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

:words: about Mongolia, aka :horse::horse::horse: and also :killdozer: I guess in deference to the Mongols and their disdain for walls

Thanks man, sounds wild. Those pictures are amazing. That is a god damned big bird. :catstare:

Just seeing those wide open spaces makes me want to go. I get tired of there being people absolutely everywhere I go in this country. Even out in the hills here in Yuyao, you walk around a couple trees and bam, another village. After our resident Xinjiang goon mentioned a few pages back how empty that province is, I was looking up train tickets to Urumqi.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it was definitely a good time. A lot of my friends in Tianjin made fun of me for getting a week off in mid-April and going to...Mongolia. They all were pushing southeast Asia and instead I went to Mongolia. No one was making fun of me once they saw my pictures though :smug:

Also, yes, that is what I look like, but no one needs to stalk me, if you come to Tianjin the first round or two is on me so I imagine you would know what I look like at that point regardless. Cheers from San Diego, everyone!

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
How often are Chengdu meet ups then? You want a little white face in your goony group?!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

In our hearts, we meet everyday. For food, every few weeks.

YF19pilot posted:

If I get this gig in Hohhot, I'm definitely going to Mongolia proper after I dick around Inner Mongolia for a bit. As long as EF doesn't completely jerk me around or screw me out of pay, I'm pretty much going to be spending every waking hour not teaching exploring poo poo.
It's been awhile since I've been to Hohhot, but it seemed nice. For sure nothing like Mongolia proper, more like a Chinese city with some areas with fake Mongolian styled buildings.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Facepalm Ranger posted:

How often are Chengdu meet ups then? You want a little white face in your goony group?!

I dunno how many people will be around by next year. Everyone is leaving...

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Magna Kaser posted:

I dunno how many people will be around by next year. Everyone is leaving...

Don't worry about those guys Facepalm, Chengdu is a great city. You should go for it.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Tom Smykowski posted:

hookers walking the streets dressed like they were going to the Thunderdome
I really wish you had a picture of that. Were they just dressed in tons of leather or did they actually have spiked shoulderpads or something?

Tom Smykowski posted:

All the while, the eagle hunter guide was challenging me to prove my manliness while hitting on my girlfriend.
:colbert: Well? Did you? Or were you cuckolded by the scion of the Great Khan?

In short, I've always wanted to visit Mongolia. Now I want to go even more. Prob'ly go next year. Wanna learn some of their crazy parseltongue language first though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't think anyone is leaving because of Chengdu. Chengdu is a cool place.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Yeah I should quit my job and stay in Chengdu.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

This is a place holder for future goblin camp hq possible beijinguuuuuur.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I'm not leaving because of Chengdu either. This is my second time living here. And probably not my last.

Bloodnose posted:

I really wish you had a picture of that. Were they just dressed in tons of leather or did they actually have spiked shoulderpads or something?
I saw one giant lady in leather with studs on shoulder pads. And giant 80s hair. She also had a chain around her waist. She did not look happy as I entered the store behind her to buy Russian pickles and Russian bread. When I exited she was speaking with a Scandinavian sounding fellow and still looked unhappy. I assume he was never seen again.

Bloodnose posted:

:colbert: Well? Did you? Or were you cuckolded by the scion of the Great Khan?
Ya, I swam in a goddamn cold river with him, chased the stupid eagles with him, drank with him, and moved a flat screen TV in a wedding yurt after he did it and said he was the only one who could.

Bloodnose posted:

In short, I've always wanted to visit Mongolia. Now I want to go even more. Prob'ly go next year. Wanna learn some of their crazy parseltongue language first though.
In certain parts of Ulaan Baatar English was easy enough to use. A Jesus-Loving Mongolian on the train told me Mongolians want to learn English because if they don't maybe they'll learn Chinese and that would be terrible. A lot of people assumed I was Russian and ran with that.

The constant language lesson I heard was "IT IS PRONOUNCED CHINGHIS NOT GENGHIS CCCCHHHHHINGIS!"

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Would it be better to get some barely passable Russian?

I had this crazy idea of renting/buying then selling a motorcycle with a friend and going around that way for 2 weeks.

Pickpocketing stories made me think, is it safe to camp out wherever you stop. I know it's legal to camp wherever, but should i worry about highwaymen?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I heard that it was more common for the older generation to learn Russian and now it's English or Chinese. My best bet would be that a little Mongolian would be more helpful than anything. In any small towns outside of the capital, I heard nothing but Mongolian.

The only problem I had camping was a pack of dogs circling our campsite at night, slowly getting closer as the fire died down. And my tent not zipping up and me having a fear of large dogs and watching those goddamn eyes in the woods.

Anywho, people in the countryside seemed generally friendly and welcoming, but I've heard and read stories about actual dangerous situations that aren't me being afraid of forest dogs. It's a big goddamn place though with like 2 million people, so you might not even cross anyone.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DontAskKant posted:

Would it be better to get some barely passable Russian?

I had this crazy idea of renting/buying then selling a motorcycle with a friend and going around that way for 2 weeks.

Pickpocketing stories made me think, is it safe to camp out wherever you stop. I know it's legal to camp wherever, but should i worry about highwaymen?

My advice is don't worry about it.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Medical today! Gonna have so many samples china will probably clone me!

EDIT: I'm in Excellent Health! They took an awful lot of blood.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 26, 2013

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Medical today! Gonna have so many samples china will probably clone me!

Synertia has your test results. He'll be delivering them shortly.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

blinkyzero posted:

Synertia has your test results. He'll be delivering them shortly.

Looks like he's pregnant with a turd, boys.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Congratulations, Facepalm Ranger! :bravo:

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

synertia posted:

I'll name him....

...Joey joe-joe

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

synertia posted:

A few days of oily peppery chinese food will cure him of his ability to produce solid turds.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
I arrived in Hong Kong today from my brief tour of Japan. It was either really cloudy or I have never seen such bad smog before in Hong Kong itself. I am taking off to Wuhan tomorrow for a couple of days until December 7 cause practically all my family is still there. I am excited to feast on Dou Pi.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
AQI today is 135, It's really gross. Fortunately it won't get any worse. Enjoy your time in Wuhan the furnace! I just checked the aqi charts.

Whoa, Wuhan is 97, Zhengzhou at 50. That's really really hard to believe.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

It was 230+ in Shanghai on Monday. This is not a brag.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

caberham posted:

AQI today is 135, It's really gross. Fortunately it won't get any worse. Enjoy your time in Wuhan the furnace! I just checked the aqi charts.

I have been coughing cause my throat was itchy since I landed. No idea of the AQ is a factor. It wasn't this bad even a week ago before I took off for Japan. I didn't believe the stories about the smog in Hong Kong until now.

Also the past two times I visited Wuhan were in the middle of summer. I am excited to not have to sweat through my shirt.:woop:

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006
:china::china::china::china::china::china::china::china::china::china::china:

My old co-worker and friend had the great idea of taking Chinese 成语 and idiomatic phrases and turn them into cool t-shirts.

He is also a goon, but mostly lurks.

He is a teacher and invested his life savings into the designs and then website, and all the shirts.

Anyways, I thought I'd share it with you guys because you are mostly China nerds and enjoy obscure nerdy poo poo. The t-shirts are super good quality and form fitting.

The website and accompanying videos are pretty amusing as well..

http://www.youarerong.com/ Rong is the company name. Its also his username.

Some examples:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

http://www.youarerong.com/home.html if you want to skip the loving Flash intro

Rong
Mar 9, 2013
Click anywhere on the screen to skip when it's playing.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

caberham posted:

135 is nothing, WTF. I FART 135.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Alright question about Chinese income tax. Basic reading had me understand the employer takes it out of my monthly pay check, I keep the payslips as proof and then do I'm guessing either a final payment at the end of the tax year or when I leave end of the visa?

Any links would help, I'm just going through the first pages of google.

Edit: will buy archives to check out the faqs links.

BCR fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 27, 2013

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
drat, those are some hella expensive tshirts.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

B-Rad posted:

:china::china::china::china::china::china::china::china::china::china::china:

My old co-worker and friend had the great idea of taking Chinese 成语 and idiomatic phrases and turn them into cool t-shirts.

He is also a goon, but mostly lurks.

He is a teacher and invested his life savings into the designs and then website, and all the shirts.

Anyways, I thought I'd share it with you guys because you are mostly China nerds and enjoy obscure nerdy poo poo. The t-shirts are super good quality and form fitting.

The website and accompanying videos are pretty amusing as well..

http://www.youarerong.com/ Rong is the company name. Its also his username.

Some examples:

I love taking Chinese idioms and making them super chinglish and saying them. Never though to put it on a shirt though. Haha. That's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rong
Mar 9, 2013
Quality brother. I promise you will have never looked better.