Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
donquixotic
May 1, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Irritating: When a soldier/hunter/hero/space marine loving works the action on a shotgun before firing it. All that's going to do is eject an unused shell, goddamnit! :bang:

You think that's bad, I saw something on tv in the last few months where someone is hiding in the shadows and emerges while doing the shotgun noise in order to threaten someone and once they emerge from the shadows it's a double barrel shotgun. Now I'm no fancy big city gun expert but even I know what's wrong with that.

My irritating moment is when someone is walking round in the dark with a torch and shines the bastard thing into the motherfucking camera. Not only is this irritating as hell having the screen light up as I'm often watching a film in the dark but surely this also draws attention to the fact there's a camera there to have a torch shone into it. Is it really that hard not to direct the torch into the camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Celery Face posted:

I love these kinds of actors because even when you end up watching a lovely movie, if you see someone like Ben Kingsley, you'll at least feel relieved. Michael Clarke Duncan was another actor who was in a lot of crappy movies but did a really good job in all of them.

I feel the same way about Malcolm McDowell.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

donquixotic posted:

You think that's bad, I saw something on tv in the last few months where someone is hiding in the shadows and emerges while doing the shotgun noise in order to threaten someone and once they emerge from the shadows it's a double barrel shotgun. Now I'm no fancy big city gun expert but even I know what's wrong with that.

My irritating moment is when someone is walking round in the dark with a torch and shines the bastard thing into the motherfucking camera. Not only is this irritating as hell having the screen light up as I'm often watching a film in the dark but surely this also draws attention to the fact there's a camera there to have a torch shone into it. Is it really that hard not to direct the torch into the camera?

Some TFR nut will be in shortly to correct us, but I think someone makes a lever-action double-barrel shotgun, but even if it was that particular gun, it still wouldn't make that loving chick-CHICK noise when you worked the action.

In the situation you described, though, I can't help but imagine someone popping out of the shadows, breaching the shotgun to threaten someone and having the shells eject, rendering the gun useless :v:

Also, I am irrationally irritated by Ben Stiller's mere existence.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Some TFR nut will be in shortly to correct us, but I think someone makes a lever-action double-barrel shotgun....

You rang? :v:
Really though, lever action shotguns do exist. Designed by John Browning (very famous and prolific gun designer) lever action shotguns were only around for a decade or so at the start of the 20th century before pump-action shotguns (which he also invented) became so popular that the lever-action designs were crushed and consigned to obscurity.

Now, do they come in double-barrel models? No, they don't. That would be silly. This clumsy attempt at making a double-barrel pump shotgun (by merging two together) should help you figure out why. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMVSr_uXhmA
TL:DR Version - poo poo gets real heavy and cumbersome really fast, plus trying to operate two separate receivers(the part where shells are moved around and fired) off the same lever is tough.

Maybe you're thinking of the Team Fortress 2 weapon for the Scout?

LeJackal has a new favorite as of 15:42 on Nov 26, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Remakes that miss the point of the original film. If you don't want me to compare the new Robocop to the old Robocop, then don't name the new movie Robocop.

Also, in a weird way, fandom pisses me off. I mean the "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THESE 2 COMPLETELY STRAIGHT CHARACTERS DIDN'T PROFESS THEIR UNDYING LOVE AND HAVE HOT GAY SEX ON AIR" type of fandom. I remember when I would watch a tv show or a movie, and think "Boy, that was awesome!". I never, in my life, thought "You know, this show needs more complete throwing away of the plot and those 2 dudes need to nail each other".

Maybe I had a sheltered childhood? :shrug:

Last but not least, the Xmen movies. At least, Wolverine in the Xmen movies. In the comics he's supposed to be this badass immortal ninja fighter guy with MADSKILLZ and a healing factor (which is why everyone likes him, he's the best he is at what he does), but in every god damned movie Hugh Jackman is in, he gets his rear end kicked by everyone. His entire fight strategy is "run at the guy with the weapon, get it stuck somewhere in body, slash with claws". They've had like 5 films to show that he can actually fight and not just run headlong into poo poo like an idiot, but every god damned movie he's in, headfirst into the fight like an idiot. In the last movie he loses his healing factor and you think "Hey, maybe this will make him actually think for a change!" but nope, still runs into the fight like a retard and acts surprised when he gets handed his spleen by a dude with an assault rifle.

It's one of the things I am not looking forward to in the new movie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Last but not least, the Xmen movies. At least, Wolverine in the Xmen movies. In the comics he's supposed to be this badass immortal ninja fighter guy with MADSKILLZ and a healing factor (which is why everyone likes him, he's the best he is at what he does), but in every god damned movie Hugh Jackman is in, he gets his rear end kicked by everyone. His entire fight strategy is "run at the guy with the weapon, get it stuck somewhere in body, slash with claws". They've had like 5 films to show that he can actually fight and not just run headlong into poo poo like an idiot, but every god damned movie he's in, headfirst into the fight like an idiot. In the last movie he loses his healing factor and you think "Hey, maybe this will make him actually think for a change!" but nope, still runs into the fight like a retard and acts surprised when he gets handed his spleen by a dude with an assault rifle.

Wolverine gets his rear end kicked all the time. It is how they show that they are serious. Since he has the healing factor it does not matter and he keeps on coming. The new movie him running in without thinking was an important element, since it showed how much he relies on the healing factor. It has also happened in the comic and the same thing occured it took a while before he realized he had to think before attacking.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm watching Dexter for the first time, and it's set in Miami. In tons of episodes, you see Spanish-speaking characters speaking Spanish to each other, and the audience rarely gets an English translation. Most of the time, it's greetings, insults, or other throwaway dialouge, but sometimes, entire conversations happen in rapid, fluent Spanish, and you either know what they're saying or have to guess from the context.

Also, tangentially related, I love the moment when you realize you might not be able to trust a translating character's interpretation. At first, you think, "Okay, instead of putting subtitles on the screen, they've got this guy who will explain what was said, that's cool," and then it goes wrong--Timer did this well, when Mike screws up translating an important conversation and panics a little trying to remember how to say what he's trying to say because he's nearly insulted someone by accident. Up to this point, you've just assumed he speaks perfect Spanish.

Irritating: When a soldier/hunter/hero/space marine loving works the action on a shotgun before firing it. All that's going to do is eject an unused shell, goddamnit! :bang:

Yeah, I really think it comes across as complimenting the intelligence of the audience to not has subtitles there spelling things out. Once, years ago I was bored on a weekend afternoon and didn't have cable at the time, and the 1995 romantic comedy "French Kiss" came on. I had seen this same movie when it was relatively new, so I remembered it, but the TV edit for some reason chose to remove the subtitles when characters were speaking French, something that happens a lot in the movie, especially when Kevin Kline and Jean Reno are talking to each other, which is important for his character background of a con man, which Meg Ryan doesn't know about. We're forced to infer this information from subtext this way, and see things more from her perspective, and it raises the quality of the film for it.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

On the topic of superheroes, while Spiderman 2 is one of my favorite superhero movies, one thing that bothers me is the first fight scene with Doctor Octopus. During the course of he fight, you see Spider-Man land a few solid punches to Doc Ock's head. Isn't Spider-Man super strong? Isn't Octavius just a normal, out of shape middle-aged guy aside from the robo-arms? Or am I misremembering the scene?

That really took me out of that movie about radioactive spider-men and cold fusion generators.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

letthereberock posted:

On the topic of superheroes, while Spiderman 2 is one of my favorite superhero movies, one thing that bothers me is the first fight scene with Doctor Octopus. During the course of he fight, you see Spider-Man land a few solid punches to Doc Ock's head. Isn't Spider-Man super strong? Isn't Octavius just a normal, out of shape middle-aged guy aside from the robo-arms? Or am I misremembering the scene?

That really took me out of that movie about radioactive spider-men and cold fusion generators.

You have to accept that he always pulls his punches unless its someone that he is equal to, or else there would be a bunch of dead minor criminals.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

bobkatt013 posted:

You have to accept that he always pulls his punches unless its someone that he is equal to, or else there would be a bunch of dead minor criminals.

Yeah, but you'd think when it's at the point where he nearly killed Spidey's Aunt May, he'd at least hit hard enough to knock him unconscious.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

edit: wrong thread

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, I really think it comes across as complimenting the intelligence of the audience to not has subtitles there spelling things out.

Dexter's really good at that

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

It's probably based on the 90's cartoon show, where Wolverine's claws and ability conflicted with their inability to air blood and gore so he would always just try to drop kick someone, fail, and get thrown out a window or something.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Its the same way Leonardo has two swords but opts to use them only as shell decoration.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, but you'd think when it's at the point where he nearly killed Spidey's Aunt May, he'd at least hit hard enough to knock him unconscious.

I'm guessing it's pretty hard to calculate your super punches just enough so it knocks out a guy instead of giving him brain damage or something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Doc Ock, Spider-Man and pulling punches, in the comics when Doc Ock first took over Peter's body he punched a guy and knocked his jaw clean off. He was pretty shocked to learn that Peter had been pulling his punches all these years and could have killed his villains pretty easily if he wanted to.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

LeJackal posted:

You rang? :v:
Really though, lever action shotguns do exist. Designed by John Browning (very famous and prolific gun designer) lever action shotguns were only around for a decade or so at the start of the 20th century before pump-action shotguns (which he also invented) became so popular that the lever-action designs were crushed and consigned to obscurity.

Now, do they come in double-barrel models? No, they don't. That would be silly. This clumsy attempt at making a double-barrel pump shotgun (by merging two together) should help you figure out why. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMVSr_uXhmA
TL:DR Version - poo poo gets real heavy and cumbersome really fast, plus trying to operate two separate receivers(the part where shells are moved around and fired) off the same lever is tough.

Maybe you're thinking of the Team Fortress 2 weapon for the Scout?

Right on time! Thanks for the info. I called an old buddy of mine who is an avid gun collector because I was genuinely curious if such a thing existed. His response was "I've never heard of anything like that, also it sounds like a really fuckin' stupid idea." He went on to speculate that you might be able to cobble a workable frankengun together out of two .410's (they're like baby shotguns), with the barrels sawed off to reduce the weight, but that it was still "a really fuckin' stupid idea."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

My pet peeve is the psychic detective - not actual psychic detectives, but when a crime is solved using multiple ridiculous leaps of faith. I know its mostly because Sherlock Holmes did it, but there are so many shows and movies right now where there will be some tiny clue and then the protagonist will work out the antagonist's entire scheme from it. It is SO stupid and SO poo poo and is the worst writing possible, but it's happening more and more at the moment. And the way they try to cover it up is by making the rear end in a top hat doing it look intense and work through the investigation aloud whilst doing some menial task like throwing a juggling ball back and forth in their hands.

"Wait...you said the phone rang SIX times before the killer answered....six times...six times...six...times. If its in your pocket you get it by two rings, in the room then its four, but SIX rings...that means its another room. Why would the killer leave their cell phone in another...call the police and tell them to head over to Bridget's house! It was her husband all along! Bridget's a nurse, she must do night shifts, that means she sleeps in the day which means the killer wouldn't want her to wake up when we phoned! But it was 4pm, if you charge your cell phone over night then you need to recharge it by 4pm, which means he must have moved the plug to another room to charge it and..."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

letthereberock posted:

In the comics I think they've also played that off as the robot arms reflexively moving Ock's body to roll with punches and/or reactively flooding his system with various drugs, giving him a limited amount of superior toughness.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Captain_Indigo posted:

My pet peeve is the psychic detective - not actual psychic detectives, but when a crime is solved using multiple ridiculous leaps of faith. I know its mostly because Sherlock Holmes did it, but there are so many shows and movies right now where there will be some tiny clue and then the protagonist will work out the antagonist's entire scheme from it. It is SO stupid and SO poo poo and is the worst writing possible, but it's happening more and more at the moment. And the way they try to cover it up is by making the rear end in a top hat doing it look intense and work through the investigation aloud whilst doing some menial task like throwing a juggling ball back and forth in their hands.

"Wait...you said the phone rang SIX times before the killer answered....six times...six times...six...times. If its in your pocket you get it by two rings, in the room then its four, but SIX rings...that means its another room. Why would the killer leave their cell phone in another...call the police and tell them to head over to Bridget's house! It was her husband all along! Bridget's a nurse, she must do night shifts, that means she sleeps in the day which means the killer wouldn't want her to wake up when we phoned! But it was 4pm, if you charge your cell phone over night then you need to recharge it by 4pm, which means he must have moved the plug to another room to charge it and..."

The worst part is that the culprit always admits it instead of just keeping quiet and getting off with insufficient evidence.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Although I thought Heroes was mostly pretty crap, I really liked the way characters in it spoke their native languages when they were just speaking to people from their own country. I wish more shows would do that.

I can't help but laugh in the first episode of Heroes when Hiro looks at a clock and the numbers are kanji instead of arabic numerals, just so you're extra sure that he's in Japan.

Remakes that miss the point of the original film. If you don't want me to compare the new Robocop to the old Robocop, then don't name the new movie Robocop.

Also, in a weird way, fandom pisses me off. I mean the "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THESE 2 COMPLETELY STRAIGHT CHARACTERS DIDN'T PROFESS THEIR UNDYING LOVE AND HAVE HOT GAY SEX ON AIR" type of fandom. I remember when I would watch a tv show or a movie, and think "Boy, that was awesome!". I never, in my life, thought "You know, this show needs more complete throwing away of the plot and those 2 dudes need to nail each other".

Maybe I had a sheltered childhood? :shrug:

It's one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" things where if you don't change anything then nerds go "Why even bother to remake it in the first place?" but if you actually do anything different then you're missing the point and disrespecting the original.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

"Why even bother to remake it in the first place?"

This is a perfectly valid question for quite a lot of remakes, though. Who the gently caress asked for a Robocop or Total Recall remake? Those movies aren't old and they didn't do anything wrong. Even if they ended up being good films... why waste the time? The originals still exist and still are good.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

RyokoTK posted:

This is a perfectly valid question for quite a lot of remakes, though. Who the gently caress asked for a Robocop or Total Recall remake? Those movies aren't old and they didn't do anything wrong. Even if they ended up being good films... why waste the time? The originals still exist and still are good.

What purpose does any movie serve? Why does remaking a movie imply that something was wrong with the original? What about film adaptations of books or television shows, the same complaints could be applied there,

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Celery Face posted:

I love these kinds of actors because even when you end up watching a lovely movie, if you see someone like Ben Kingsley, you'll at least feel relieved. Michael Clarke Duncan was another actor who was in a lot of crappy movies but did a really good job in all of them.
Bill Nighy. :allears:

Speaking of, I saw the trailer for I, Frankenstein , and even though I know everything about it it will be terrible, I'm mostly annoyed by the title. It's from Aaron Eckhart's point of view, but he's Frankenstein's monster, not Dr. Frankenstein. So technically it should be I, Frankenstein's Monster.

Maybe it's meant to be deep, like, the invention becomes the inventor. Or maybe they just went with the title because it's about gargoyles fighting demons and who the gently caress cares.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

KoB posted:

The worst part is that the culprit always admits it instead of just keeping quiet and getting off with insufficient evidence.

Or they do the whole smug "Well thats a nice theory but you dont have any evidence" speech and then the magical detective does it again but more intense and this time the bad guy just can't help it and confesses...
Yeah great writing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, I really think it comes across as complimenting the intelligence of the audience to not has subtitles there spelling things out. Once, years ago I was bored on a weekend afternoon and didn't have cable at the time, and the 1995 romantic comedy "French Kiss" came on. I had seen this same movie when it was relatively new, so I remembered it, but the TV edit for some reason chose to remove the subtitles when characters were speaking French, something that happens a lot in the movie, especially when Kevin Kline and Jean Reno are talking to each other, which is important for his character background of a con man, which Meg Ryan doesn't know about. We're forced to infer this information from subtext this way, and see things more from her perspective, and it raises the quality of the film for it.

Also, Stargate. Much better film without subtitles.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
The gratuitous shotgun racking is worth it because it resulted in this.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

The mansion scene in X2 and the fight vs the bone throwing guy in X3 did a good job of showing some of Wolverine using his noodle. They also cut a fight against Juggernaut that I enjoyed.

Also if you have a healing factor, unbreakable skeleton and huge knives in your hands, running straight at things isn't usually a terrible idea (just sometimes).

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Razorwired posted:

The gratuitous shotgun racking is worth it because it resulted in this.

That will never not be funny. Ever. It's one of the few clips that never fails to get a laugh out of me.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Supreme Allah posted:

The mansion scene in X2 and the fight vs the bone throwing guy in X3 did a good job of showing some of Wolverine using his noodle. They also cut a fight against Juggernaut that I enjoyed.

Also if you have a healing factor, unbreakable skeleton and huge knives in your hands, running straight at things isn't usually a terrible idea (just sometimes).

Except he keeps trying to charge down Magneto, or at least he does in the films. He's a loving idiot.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Except he keeps trying to charge down Magneto, or at least he does in the films. He's a loving idiot.

I'm pretty sure wolverine charging magneto worked really well in the comic

except for the whole magneto ripping out all of the metal out of his body in the most painful fashion imaginable and walking away the victor.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shwqa posted:

I'm pretty sure wolverine charging magneto worked really well in the comic

except for the whole magneto ripping out all of the metal out of his body in the most painful fashion imaginable and walking away the victor.

That was one out of hundred times they faced him. Seriously when facing Magneto the two people you should never bring are Wolverine and Colossus.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

RyokoTK posted:

Magneto is kind of an unfair opponent for a dude with a metal laced skeleton.

Plus he has decapitated Magneto at least once (it was, I think, a fake Magneto).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Supreme Allah posted:

Magneto is kind of an unfair opponent for a dude with a metal laced skeleton.

I know that. You would think that Wolverine, the guy with a metal laced skeleton, would probably not try to engage him directly.

Magneto is the primary antagonist in X-Men 1 through 3, and I'm pretty sure every film has a scene of Wolverine charging straight at him and getting stopped effortlessly. Character arc, what's that?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

RyokoTK posted:

I know that. You would think that Wolverine, the guy with a metal laced skeleton, would probably not try to engage him directly.

Magneto is the primary antagonist in X-Men 1 through 3, and I'm pretty sure every film has a scene of Wolverine charging straight at him and getting stopped effortlessly. Character arc, what's that?

It's not Wolverine's fault that his stupid teammates aren't capable of providing an adequate distraction. What the hell is eye-beam-man doing. Eye beam this guy so I can get close enough to stab him.

I'm a huge fan of Jackman's portrayal but not at all a fan of how they handled him (or most of the characters) in the movies. The X-men as a team consistently fought like poo poo.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The X-Men films are just misnamed. They're The Tepid Adventures of Wolverine and Rogue. The rest of the cast (aside from Xavier and Magneto, I guess) are pretty much irrelevant except to pick up comic book cred.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RyokoTK posted:

The X-Men films are just misnamed. They're The Tepid Adventures of Wolverine and Rogue. The rest of the cast (aside from Xavier and Magneto, I guess) are pretty much irrelevant except to pick up comic book cred.

Wolverine, definitely, but Storm's growing role waaaaay overshadowed Rouge. Holy poo poo Storm was bad in those movies. Especially the toad scene in the first one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qrLqCOPQng
Ugh. And then Halle Berry kept getting her role expanded and she never really got any better, either.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The X-men movies aren't even team movies, they're just movies about Wolverine and those other guys that get in the way some time. The most notable thing their leader does in three movies was die off screen.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

JT Smiley posted:

The X-men movies aren't even team movies, they're just movies about Wolverine and those other guys that get in the way some time. The most notable thing their leader does in three movies was die off screen.

That has been the issue with Wolverine and Marvel for decades - its nothing but the Wolverine show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If only there were some kind of X-Men movie specifically about the origins of Wolverine. Now THAT would be cool/retarded/cooltarded.

• Locked thread