Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

ChickenArise posted:

Yes and yes and YES! :3:

Dale isn't actually drumming on it, though. For this one, he's on bass instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Does it still have Buzz's amazing ability to make his ridiculously heavy music to be a bit hooky? It's always been what I liked about the Melvins. That and Dale's drumming.

personally I wish they did it with the current lineup. I think the two drummers would have sounded much cooler. It's pretty much what I expect the melvins to sound like now and that was missing, kinda disappointing.

"hooky" yes, but I'm not a real fan of it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Sea Bastard's new album, Scabrous, is pretty drat heavy. Not usually a fan of death metal vocals in doom metal, but they kind of make it work.

And Ladybird's Spliff & Wesson came out in August, but I just heard about it. Two tracks, first one is 24 minutes of mainly-instrumental doom, second one is the first played in reverse.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 13, 2013

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

High on Fire is playing here Monday night at House of Blues. I love the albums, but haven't seen them live. Are they worth the spend? I've heard the live album the released recently, and it was OK but live albums are never really a good indicator of how the band performs.

Recommendations?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

hatelull posted:

High on Fire is playing here Monday night at House of Blues. I love the albums, but haven't seen them live. Are they worth the spend? I've heard the live album the released recently, and it was OK but live albums are never really a good indicator of how the band performs.

Recommendations?

I saw them last week or so in Asheville. They ruled. It was a fun show, I hadn't had a reason to get up front at show for a while. I didn't like the supporting band Kvelertak at all. Doomriders were pretty good.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Do you remember what time they went on? They're playing HoB here so it's gonna be fairly structured.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

hatelull posted:

Recommendations?

I just saw them Tuesday and it was a really good show. Seeing Matt Pike's fat shirtless body in person is pretty glorious. He's also really cool to watch on the stage because he's constantly got this slight smile on his face like he's new to this and excited so many people came out. Then he was slapping hands with everyone after their set. It was all really genuine. There's also lots of low end so I'll suggest ear plugs.

This was also the second time I saw Kvelertak live and I think they're awesome live. Tons of energy and lots of cool guitar harmonies and I thought they got the best sound out of the venue. But there does seem to be a major dividing line between fans of HoF and Kvelertak judging the crowd's reaction. People seemed really reluctant to even marginally submit any energy. There were also about five dudes near me complaining that three guitars is stupid. But I love them and love their live shows and love the owl helmet and will recommend them any time they come up.

Doomriders were also very cool. I didn't know much about them but they're really fun especially after their singer goofed on a song. And I like seeing that old dude rock out hard.

hatelull posted:

Do you remember what time they went on? They're playing HoB here so it's gonna be fairly structured.

I think here in Michigan the show ended around 11:20pm so I would imagine HoF went on about an hour before that.

TRAMAMPOLINE
Dec 15, 2012

seconding that it's a good show to catch

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

hatelull posted:

They probably went on around 10 PM I think. The show didn't run very late. They didn't do a encore even though people were begging for one.

I had never heard Kvelertak before and with the owl mask and three guitars I thought they were going to lay it on thick but the music was just kind of like happy metal. Owl mask guy is a hell of a front man though, just not my thing.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

They announced they weren't going to do an encore but instead just play extra songs without doing the walk off the stage walk back on bullshit.

At least that's what we got.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Honestly, I like that more than walking off stage and having everyone stand around and yell poo poo until they come back on for the obligatory last number.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I appreciate when bands do either that or just walk offstage and let the house lights come on because there will be no encore. Maybe I'm old, but whatever. Weeknight shows downtown are a bad enough idea without staying up another 20mins.

e: vvv couldn't agree more

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 22, 2013

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

The new album from The Body is pretty loving cool guys.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

m-o-o-n posted:

I had a dream I got thrown out of someone's apartment for trying to imitate the vocals. Great album.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

m-o-o-n posted:

Is this it? http://thebody.bandcamp.com/ I did a quick search to see if I'd like them.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Here's one of my most recent finds, Mars Red Sky: http://marsredsky.bandcamp.com/album/mars-red-sky-debut-album
Psychedelic stoner doom or something like that. Also found out about the band like three weeks before they're playing in my town, which is a nice change from the usual spiel of I find out about a band and they were just here 4 days ago.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Thanks for the Mars Red Sky. I had to buy that after listening to the 2nd song. They have got a good thing going on.

Edit: It took me about 10 minutes to figure out what the vocals reminded me of. I finally settled on Simon & Garfunkel...weird.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 23, 2013

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I'm seeing Urfaust tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvyn37HMyf4

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Not only is the new Monster Magnet album good, but their live show is superb right now. I saw them in Vancouver tonight, and they were tight and powerful. They opened with "Nod Scene" and mostly played stuff from Spine, Dopes and Powertrip, with a couple tracks from the new album. Dave had the crowd in the palm of his hand during "Spine Of God," which included a sing-along rendition of Don McLean's "American Pie" in the middle of the jam (yes, seriously).

Chris Kosnik and Bob Pantella from the Atomic Bitchwax are playing in MM right now, and you couldn't ask for a better rhythm section. Kosnik has been a huge influence on my bass playing, so I was pleased to be able to shake his hand and have a brief chat. He mentioned that there will probably be a new Bitchwax album and a tour next year.

The first band sucked, but Royal Thunder were good. I'll have to check out the album that was posted earlier; they played a song with some interesting 6/8 to 4/4 shifts that I'd love to hear again.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I wish Monster Magnet were playing more Canadian dates, their new album is awesome and definitely worth supporting.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Mates band from Canberra have their third album coming out in the nest month, if you like this their first two albums are worth checking out;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hROHRW93KyQ

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Slovenian band Mist released a two-song demo a couple of weeks ago, and it sounds pretty good if you like traditional heavy metal worship. Nice tone to it, too.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

m-o-o-n posted:

I'm legitimately surprised I haven't heard more about it. It's goddamn intense.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 27, 2013

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

Darthemed posted:

Slovenian band Mist released a two-song demo a couple of weeks ago, and it sounds pretty good if you like traditional heavy metal worship. Nice tone to it, too.

Oh man this is fantastic, thank you.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
Pretty interesting new project from Mike Scheidt of Yob, Tad Doyle (of TAD?!??!) and Aaron Edge. The album is about Aaron's day to day struggles with multiple sclerosis and it's predictably heavy as a galaxy.

Lumbar

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bleedbackwards posted:

Pretty interesting new project from Mike Scheidt of Yob, Tad Doyle (of TAD?!??!) and Aaron Edge. The album is about Aaron's day to day struggles with multiple sclerosis and it's predictably heavy as a galaxy.

Lumbar

Oh man, I am gonna be all over this when I start working again. Speaking of TAD, here's a cool documentary about their near-fame http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/tad_busted_circuits_and_ringing_ears

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Friends Are Evil posted:

I'm legitimately surprised I haven't heard more about it. It's goddamn intense.

It is really good. People around me are just kinda burnt out on The Body it seems. They say stuff like that then turn on The Sword.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Stravinsky posted:

It is really good. People around me are just kinda burnt out on The Body it seems. They say stuff like that then turn on The Sword.

What is The Sword?

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

casual poster posted:

What is The Sword?

The Ghost of sludge/stoner

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

m-o-o-n posted:

The Ghost of sludge/stoner

Except they're actually interesting

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Have they covered ABBA yet?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

casual poster posted:

What is The Sword?

If you are legitimately asking this, go check out Age of Winters

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

ChickenArise posted:

If you are legitimately asking this, go check out Warp Riders

:colbert:

Speaking of retro doom:

http://kadavar.bandcamp.com/album/kadavar

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

These dudes are also from Germany but I think they're 10x better than Kadavar:

http://mountainwitch.bandcamp.com/

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Indian released a track from their new album.

https://soundcloud.com/relapserecords/indian-rhetoric-of-no

Calling it now, this'll be the heaviest album of 2014.

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005
Anyone else listening to the new Obscure Sphinx? In the realm of ISIS/Tool/Meshuggah, but with a creepier, more feminine vibe. Might be a pinch too post-metal for this thread, but I figure it's worth a mention. I freakin' love it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndOR_E1kWJ4&t=19s

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Captain Morose posted:

Anyone else listening to the new Obscure Sphinx? In the realm of ISIS/Tool/Meshuggah, but with a creepier, more feminine vibe. Might be a pinch too post-metal for this thread, but I figure it's worth a mention. I freakin' love it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndOR_E1kWJ4&t=19s
Yeah, this is good. I'm not normally that big on metal with clean female vocals, but it works OK here and drat can she scream too. Also available to download (but not stream) on Bandcamp. I think I prefer Anaesthetic Inhalation Ritual to Void Mother though.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

the yob - catharsis remaster is worthy

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.
Any other doom goons been to Desertfest in London? A compilation from this past year's festival was just released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just discovered Glorior Belli. Is France just a series of swamps and I just never heard about it?