Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Aw man, sorry to hear about Gordon :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I'm so sorry to hear that. Maybe you can occasionally snip through a power cord or a phone charger with scissors.

NancyPants posted:

You can't tell, but I vacuum every other day.

I believe you :)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna rearrange my living room and get on with accepting that I don't have to wall off anything I don't want chewed.

It was weird to sleep without someone gnawing at the baseboards last night.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
I'm so sorry to hear about Gordon. What a sweet and funny bun she was, I always enjoyed reading about her. You were clearly a devoted owner and it sounds like you did everything you could for her. She was very fortunate to have you.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
Sorry about your bun. :(

Lagos
Mar 17, 2004

Hates Loud Noise
Does anyone else have experience with a teach and treat? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22726

For Avery, level 2 (shown in the video below) is easy, level 3 is even easier (since she can just bash the knobs with her face to solve it), but level 1 is hardest (she's smart enough to slide the big plastic disc, but not smart enough to slide it in a particular direction).

0:40 is my favorite part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BmjwzCbj2E

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

NancyPants posted:

This is a dumb rabbit that thinks everything on the floor is for her. (She is rushing the camera.)

Sorry for your loss. If you find yourself missing having black bunny fur on everything, let me know. I'll send you a mailer full of Cilantro's fuzz.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Had a bit of a rabbit fight tonight, our newly adopted one escaped from the room we keep him in while we were out and got in a rumble with the other two. He suffered the worse wounds, a laceration just above the nose and superficial tissue damage to his head above the ear. Bleeding was minor from the nose and had stopped on his head, both wounds are not very deep. I used a warm saline compress on the wounds and am wondering if there is any other approach to take?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Ghost of Castro posted:

Had a bit of a rabbit fight tonight, our newly adopted one escaped from the room we keep him in while we were out and got in a rumble with the other two. He suffered the worse wounds, a laceration just above the nose and superficial tissue damage to his head above the ear. Bleeding was minor from the nose and had stopped on his head, both wounds are not very deep. I used a warm saline compress on the wounds and am wondering if there is any other approach to take?

Our vet had us use diluted betadine to treat a scrape that Cilantro acquired a while back.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

pseudonordic posted:

Sorry for your loss. If you find yourself missing having black bunny fur on everything, let me know. I'll send you a mailer full of Cilantro's fuzz.

Ditto. Juppo is hell bent on creating body doubles at the moment. One of the few things I do not miss about having her in the house is the constant hair floating in the air and getting stuck to my lips and clothes and eyes. However that will all change within the next few weeks. Can't wait to have her to snuggle up to on the sofa again. God I hope the new place has black carpets.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
We lost Tubby Lumpkins last night. We held her for a few hours and put her in her run. She wasn't alive when we woke up.

I love you Tubbs you stupid fat rabbit. I will miss you running around in circles like a lunatic when you wanted a treat, and the fact that out of the three rabbits we had you loved us the most and wanted to be petted. I love you so much.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Oh man more loss. :smith: I'm very sorry.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Errant Gin Monks posted:

We lost Tubby Lumpkins last night. We held her for a few hours and put her in her run. She wasn't alive when we woke up.

I love you Tubbs you stupid fat rabbit. I will miss you running around in circles like a lunatic when you wanted a treat, and the fact that out of the three rabbits we had you loved us the most and wanted to be petted. I love you so much.

We just buried her in the backyard under a big Red Oak. A cold and rainy day here in south Texas. Couldn't be more appropriate. Tubbs loved dried berries as a treat so we planted a big blueberry bush we had by her. I'm going to miss my bunny.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
:(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
What is it with everyone's bunnies suddenly dying? God, now I *really* miss mine

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Yeah 2013 has been a really sad year for bunnies.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

luscious posted:

It really has. You lost your two. I lost two of my 3. I feel so bad for Lils, the only one left. She sat there and groomed tubbs for an hour. Just licking her face and waiting and waiting. It broke my heart to see her so confused. I'm glad we decided to stay in last night. As she got worse I felt like we needed to bring her out. So we held her for hours, just petting her as she got more and more still. She was laying just where I placed her last night. As if she was sleeping. But she gave me a few lickings when I set her down. As if she was saying goodbye.

God drat I miss my rabbits. The fact that I will never pet them again kills me.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
You guys are making me dread my babies getting older. :(

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

luscious posted:

No kidding, it's been awful seeing so many people lose their buns.

I am sorry for your loss, Errant Gin Monks. Tubby was adorable, she looks so soft. You always post funny stuff about rabbits, you've made me laugh a few times. I am glad you were able to bury her and pay tribute at home - having lived in the country my whole life, I can't imagine not having that opportunity. We placed George under an apple tree on our property and my mom visits it often.

I've got to say, it's nice to have a group of people who understand how much a silly little rabbit can mean to you, and offer kind words. You guys are good people.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
:( I'm going to squeeze Gracie harder than she'll appreciate tonight. Condolences to all who lost a bun. It really is amazing what big presences they can have as such tiny little creatures.

Grace has pretty much mastered the 'grab and toss' strategy..

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 24, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm sorry to hear about Tubby. :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Thanks everyone. It makes a difference when people don't just assume "what's the big deal it's just a rabbit" and understand how important they are to us owners. You all have helped me cope twice now. So you will only have to do it One more time.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Thanks everyone. It makes a difference when people don't just assume "what's the big deal it's just a rabbit" and understand how important they are to us owners. You all have helped me cope twice now. So you will only have to do it One more time.

The most poignant thing I've heard in regard to pets is to remember that while they are around for part of your life, you're around for all of theirs. Given y'all's posts about your buns, I have no doubt that you love and have loved them all while providing beyond their basic care and needs. While it is natural for you to miss those that are gone, you can all take solace in the fact that that their whole life was better for having been with you.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Well, condolonces to everyone who lost their bun recently. I'm just remembering how I lost my last bun, Fitzgerald, when I was a teen.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Mr Confetti posted:

You guys are making me dread my babies getting older. :(

Yeah seriously, jesus christ. :(

Mine are fat and lazy and I take for granted when I walk in my front door and I can hear them running around because while the exact same thing has happened for years now, its still super scary to them.

Condolences Errant and Nancy and everyone else this year. :[ As soon as I saw 15 new posts my first thought was "oh poo poo someone else lost one".

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I never understood the people that said that kind of stuff when they reacted the exact same way about their dog or cat.

I'm sorry about your buns. :( At least they're in rabbit heaven with cords and other destructible things galore. :smithicide:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
In not-dead-yet rabbit news, Thanksgiving prep is underway at my house with the making of fresh chicken stock. Ella tried to push the dog out of the way to get at the meat scraps I picked off the stock bones for him. Max is a saint, and Ella is creepy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Suspect Bucket posted:

In not-dead-yet rabbit news, Thanksgiving prep is underway at my house with the making of fresh chicken stock. Ella tried to push the dog out of the way to get at the meat scraps I picked off the stock bones for him. Max is a saint, and Ella is creepy.

If someone else is eating it, it must be the best thing, thus it belongs to the bunny.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If someone else is eating it, it must be the best thing, thus it belongs to the bunny.

Peanut won't even eat fresh veg until she sees Snoopy having some. Then she wants the veg that is in Snoopy's mouth at that point in time.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

*hugs* to every in this thread; thanks for the sympathy and condolences to everyone else who's lost a bun, recently, or ever. :(

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Someone figured out where the hay is kept while I was cleaning out her cage. :mad:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I had a late night at work and dinner with a friend who needed cheering upa nd came home to a stubborn bunny. <:mad:>

I put down her dinner plate and she didn't eat any of it but hopped into her litter cage and hung out there.

I gave her a dose of reglan and simethicone just to be sure.

Edit: Cilantro was just being a shitass, she's since cleaned her plate and is eating hay.. Bunnies :rolleyes:

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 27, 2013

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Lobsterboy posted:

Someone figured out where the hay is kept while I was cleaning out her cage. :mad:

Yep that's literally our rabbit forever. If we leave the laundry open he'll metal gear solid inside and sit in a bag of hay for literally hours. This is a dude that never does anything for more than a minute without being distracted.

Last time we took him to the vet they recommended him eating a bit more hay and a bit less greens so now we just 'accidentally' leave the laundry open one day or so a week and that little bastard will be in there smugly eating his secret hay all day.

also, little jerk jumped up on a table and knocked over a glass half full of milkshake then stuck his entire face into it. Took a while to clean his dumb face but oh man he is not happy.

Turned him into some sort of angry, long-eared and wingless horned owl.

Karandras fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 27, 2013

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

Karandras posted:

angry, long-eared and wingless horned owl

This is the best picture. Did he think his face was delicious at least?

Condolences to all the folks who lost a bun. :( The Flems send identical bun hugs in their puddly-old-man guises.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Sorry to hear about everyone's loss. I've been out of the thread for a while, but if it makes you all feel any better, I made the heartwarming choice this time when Arya stopped eating a few weeks ago. The vet was impressed with how feisty she was, and as they gave her back to me they said "You can keep the collar, she uh, ate some of it"

As I've been kicking myself all year for making the financial choice to not save Annie last year, I knew I had to take Arya in. I caught it earlier so she bounced back, and it "only" cost $1200 all told. I couldn't go through Ben being alone again.

E: going off my post history, I've had Ben for over 6 years now. That puts him at at least 7 or 8. What an old-timer!

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Sorry for your loss, Errant :( Here's hoping none of us have to say that again for a while.

I too am going to go cuddle my bun when I've finished my breakfast, even though it'll no doubt warrant a trip to A&E

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I love rabbits and would love to try having one again at some point. I had a rabbit a couple years ago that I adopted from a shelter and took home to be a housebun. He apparently came out of a hoarding situation. I did quite a bit of research before I took Bodie into my home. Rabbit proofing my home was easy as I lived in a one bedroom apartment at the time (and I still do, albeit it's a smaller one now.) His home base was in a segregated hallway area next to the staircase -- he had a cage whose door was always open and the area was fenced off by a puppy gate. This meant when he was 'put away' he had about 10 feet of space to run around in. Plenty of room to binky. I didn't allow him in my room ever because I didn't want him developing a taste for pissing on my bed, so the door was always closed.

I put in the hours learning how to speak rabbit. I lay down on the floor next to his space and waited for him to come out. I never invaded it to clean when he was in it (or in eyesight.) I dutifully switched the litterpan to the corner he chose to use. I never picked him up to pet him or put him places. We were the only occupied flat in a row of what was rather urban beauty and I got Bodie a harness so I could take him outside for small excursions into the grass under close supervision. (He did usually let me put the harness on once he learned he got to go out into the backyard.) I did my best to be firm but gentle.

Bodie resisted all of my efforts to bond with him. He sat sullenly in his corner when I tried to invite him to play. He pissed upon the toys I gave him, then left them in the corner furthest away from him and never touched them. He foot thumped when I tried to give him treats. He pissed all over his own area when I was around. He flicked piss at me. He nipped me harder, not softer, when he tried unsuccessfully to drive me away from the couch. He attacked my feet -- even from across the room when I tried to give him space if I detected he was especially ornery.
He began pissing and making GBS threads everywhere, and resisted my attempts to re-litter train him. He'd be in his home base for several days successfully using the litter pan, then the second he was let out he'd piss all over everything. He tried to get into my bedroom by digging at the wood and door despite being given time outside and thick layers of hay and stuff to dig in which I buried treats inside of.

He stripped the paint off walls to eat and if given half the chance would successfully beat up my soft-as-poo poo Doberman/Lab mix dog for his food too. He was an endless stomach as demonstrated by the paint stripping thing and would inhale his bowl of rabbit food in under a minute, then kick the dish around and protest in an effort to get more. I tried to give him a slightly larger amount of food, worried he was just so hungry maybe I was starving him and perhaps if he was full he wouldn't resort to eating paint or ripping Bobby's face off, which I of course did my best to discourage but he would ninja that poo poo. He'd behave for a short period of time, like a day, to get my guard down. I wanted him to be able to lounge on the couch, so he'd lie there and then when he knew I wasn't looking would rip off the couch and strip off as much paint as he could, then run back to his home base. I tried to get the paint back from him but he'd usually eaten most of it by the time I could get to him. I was terrified that the paint would make him ill but short of locking him in his home base permanently I didn't know what to do.
He learned to jump the puppygate, meaning I had to shut him in his small hutch at night instead of allowing him a nice run, because if I didn't I'd wake up to find piss and poo poo everywhere, the dog's food gone and the couch disemboweled. Bodie hated this and communicated this to me by incessantly gnawing at the cage bars loudly in our small apartment all night long.

I kept trying for two years before I'd had enough. I loved Bodie, but he didn't love me. It broke my heart, but he was keeping me up at night, I had other responsibilities and a very stressful job as well, he'd destroyed a wall, and I was at a loss of what to do. He was eating me and my dog out of house and home. He was never satisfied, and I got to thinking he must be desperately unhappy in my home. I thought he'd perhaps be one of those buns better off with another rabbit rather than me as company.

I thought I was doing the right thing by bringing him back to the shelter I'd got him from. I don't think I'd ever sobbed as hard as I did when I brought him back. The shelter staff seemed very understanding when I explained what I had done, but I still felt like a failure. I still do feel like a failure. The person who I brought him into was the same person who'd adopted him out to me, and he remarked on how happy I had been when I got him. The last time I checked, he's still at the shelter. They said that he resisted bonding with any other rabbits and continued to have a 'very definite personality.'

I want to know where I went wrong with Bodie. I love rabbits -- I have a tattoo of one -- and I'd love to try again someday but I'm terrified if that's a typical experience of owning a housebun. From all the research I did and all the accounts I've read, it isn't, but I guess my boy Bodie bunny-burned me. Every time I'm at the pet shop though I still love looking at the rabbits and imagining stroking one on its curvy back.
I love Belgian Hares, they're so gorgeous.

Please help Bunny thread. Show me the error of my ways or reassure me or something. Please! :(

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.
Your experience is not entirely unique, but there are rabbits that are not as voracious. If you're wanting to attempt bunnies again, I'd suggest finding a specialty rabbit rescue that can work with pairing you with bunnies that will help you ease into rabbit ownership. :)

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

uglynoodles posted:

I love rabbits and would love to try having one again at some point. I had a rabbit a couple years ago that I adopted from a shelter and took home to be a housebun. He apparently came out of a hoarding situation. I did quite a bit of research before I took Bodie into my home. Rabbit proofing my home was easy as I lived in a one bedroom apartment at the time (and I still do, albeit it's a smaller one now.) His home base was in a segregated hallway area next to the staircase -- he had a cage whose door was always open and the area was fenced off by a puppy gate. This meant when he was 'put away' he had about 10 feet of space to run around in. Plenty of room to binky. I didn't allow him in my room ever because I didn't want him developing a taste for pissing on my bed, so the door was always closed.

I put in the hours learning how to speak rabbit. I lay down on the floor next to his space and waited for him to come out. I never invaded it to clean when he was in it (or in eyesight.) I dutifully switched the litterpan to the corner he chose to use. I never picked him up to pet him or put him places. We were the only occupied flat in a row of what was rather urban beauty and I got Bodie a harness so I could take him outside for small excursions into the grass under close supervision. (He did usually let me put the harness on once he learned he got to go out into the backyard.) I did my best to be firm but gentle.

Bodie resisted all of my efforts to bond with him. He sat sullenly in his corner when I tried to invite him to play. He pissed upon the toys I gave him, then left them in the corner furthest away from him and never touched them. He foot thumped when I tried to give him treats. He pissed all over his own area when I was around. He flicked piss at me. He nipped me harder, not softer, when he tried unsuccessfully to drive me away from the couch. He attacked my feet -- even from across the room when I tried to give him space if I detected he was especially ornery.
He began pissing and making GBS threads everywhere, and resisted my attempts to re-litter train him. He'd be in his home base for several days successfully using the litter pan, then the second he was let out he'd piss all over everything. He tried to get into my bedroom by digging at the wood and door despite being given time outside and thick layers of hay and stuff to dig in which I buried treats inside of.

He stripped the paint off walls to eat and if given half the chance would successfully beat up my soft-as-poo poo Doberman/Lab mix dog for his food too. He was an endless stomach as demonstrated by the paint stripping thing and would inhale his bowl of rabbit food in under a minute, then kick the dish around and protest in an effort to get more. I tried to give him a slightly larger amount of food, worried he was just so hungry maybe I was starving him and perhaps if he was full he wouldn't resort to eating paint or ripping Bobby's face off, which I of course did my best to discourage but he would ninja that poo poo. He'd behave for a short period of time, like a day, to get my guard down. I wanted him to be able to lounge on the couch, so he'd lie there and then when he knew I wasn't looking would rip off the couch and strip off as much paint as he could, then run back to his home base. I tried to get the paint back from him but he'd usually eaten most of it by the time I could get to him. I was terrified that the paint would make him ill but short of locking him in his home base permanently I didn't know what to do.
He learned to jump the puppygate, meaning I had to shut him in his small hutch at night instead of allowing him a nice run, because if I didn't I'd wake up to find piss and poo poo everywhere, the dog's food gone and the couch disemboweled. Bodie hated this and communicated this to me by incessantly gnawing at the cage bars loudly in our small apartment all night long.

I kept trying for two years before I'd had enough. I loved Bodie, but he didn't love me. It broke my heart, but he was keeping me up at night, I had other responsibilities and a very stressful job as well, he'd destroyed a wall, and I was at a loss of what to do. He was eating me and my dog out of house and home. He was never satisfied, and I got to thinking he must be desperately unhappy in my home. I thought he'd perhaps be one of those buns better off with another rabbit rather than me as company.

I thought I was doing the right thing by bringing him back to the shelter I'd got him from. I don't think I'd ever sobbed as hard as I did when I brought him back. The shelter staff seemed very understanding when I explained what I had done, but I still felt like a failure. I still do feel like a failure. The person who I brought him into was the same person who'd adopted him out to me, and he remarked on how happy I had been when I got him. The last time I checked, he's still at the shelter. They said that he resisted bonding with any other rabbits and continued to have a 'very definite personality.'

I want to know where I went wrong with Bodie. I love rabbits -- I have a tattoo of one -- and I'd love to try again someday but I'm terrified if that's a typical experience of owning a housebun. From all the research I did and all the accounts I've read, it isn't, but I guess my boy Bodie bunny-burned me. Every time I'm at the pet shop though I still love looking at the rabbits and imagining stroking one on its curvy back.
I love Belgian Hares, they're so gorgeous.

Please help Bunny thread. Show me the error of my ways or reassure me or something. Please! :(

Don't beat yourself up too much; it doesn't do anything in the end (trust me I know). If you really love buns, then go get some more! There's no reason to deal with evil personalities, there are a lot of wonderful rabbits out there. Both of mine are really well behaved and enjoy attention/pets/playing.

Go to the shelter and spend sometime just hanging out with different rabbits. You'll know when you've found the one - Portia chose myself and Ender at the shelter. Keep any open mind and have fun watching their behavior.

Also, was Bodie neutered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

He was neutered, yes. The shelter I got him from made sure all their rabbits left microchipped and without their bollocks/babymakers. It's the way to do it, I feel. :)
I'd really love to get a Flemish Giant or a Belgian Hare, but I'd probably need to go to a breeder for that and I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for that in the UK. Also I don't want a baby animal! What you mention about hanging out with the shelter rabbits and observing their personalities is a really good idea. It's how I chose my bird -- we just 'clicked.' :)