Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Austrian mook posted:

Isn't the same basically true of OOT though? I really like the empty world. You really get a sense of grandiose and loneliness like you don't in any of the other games.

That's funny because Sunshine is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than Super Mario 64

Two terrible opinions in one post, now that's efficiency! Seriously though, OoT's biggest weakness is that the world is so dull and lifeless compared to the games that came before it. I could accept it if it was only like that when you're Adult Link, since the world is supposed to be wrecked during those 7 years. But even when you're Young Link it's exactly the same, I'm assuming because of memory limitations with the N64 maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Mario and Zelda: nobody will ever agree on anything ever

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Mario and Zelda: nobody will ever agree on anything ever

Video games: nobody will ever agree on anything ever

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I actually thought that Twilight Princess was a better game than Ocarina of Time. To keep it in perspective, Ocarina was a better game for its time than Twilight Princess was for its.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Gutcruncher posted:

I actually thought that Twilight Princess was a better game than Ocarina of Time. To keep it in perspective, Ocarina was a better game for its time than Twilight Princess was for its.

This is a good post.

That said, Twilight Princess has a host of it's own problems. Half of the time you're playing a bad Okami, and the other half you're playing a game that really, REALLY wants to be Ocarina, but bigger and better. Sure, Twilight Princess is better than Ocarina, but that doesn't mean much when I consider the two of them to be my least favorite 3D Zeldas.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Twilight Princess had a lot of great moments for sure, and some genuinely fun and atmospheric dungeons. The problem for me was that it was sandwiched between a poo poo ton of superfluous content that really slowed the game down. I hated most of the opening, I hated hunting lightning bugs, I hated the way they integrated the wolf form in such half-assed ways other than one (really cool) dungeon, and I hated how the Twilight Realm was just so thoroughly uninteresting. It just felt like a game made by several different, wholly autonomous teams who never really could agree on what the game should be like. And it's a shame because, again, there's still a lot of fun to be had playing it.

I should point out that this game took me well over 40 hours to complete, which is about twice what OoT and Wind Waker lasted me. I feel like the game would have been better with a lot of that content pared down, as crazy as that might sound.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Let's move the Zelda talk to the Zelda thread, thanks!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Adam Bowen posted:

Two terrible opinions in one post, now that's efficiency!

You can absolutely make a case for Super Mario Sunshine being superior to Super Mario 64. :colbert:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
We should start having real discussions here, like why RPGs always allow you have weapons other than swords when they almost always make swords the most powerful weapon. You mean this great axe isn't as strong as that old scimitar? Okay, then why even waste the data to make it? Window dressing? Or why you always find ice armour/ice swords in fire dungeons. Wouldn't that poo poo melt? Why are people hiding treasure chests anyway!? And why does this bee I just killed have gold on it?

:eng99:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

How does Cloud's hair stay so spiky?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

JordanKai posted:

You can absolutely make a case for Super Mario Sunshine being superior to Super Mario 64. :colbert:

Because one game holds up and the other doesn't. :colbert:

Seriously, I love 64, a lot, but the game looks like poo poo, controls really stiff and doesn't have the unique flavor that Sunshine has. 64 is like a really great burger, but Sunshine is a 4 course meal.

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007
Finally signed up for Club Nintendo and was amazed by how many 1st party games I own for DS/3DS/Wii. I see that Link to the Past and the other games they're offering are set to expire in early December, I assume that is the day that they will refresh the store with some new stuff? Scared to spend my coins in case something really neat comes up.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

zenintrude posted:

How does Cloud's hair stay so spiky?

I think my favourite part of Super Mario 3D World is the very beginning where Mario and Luigi see a pipe that needs fixing and FIX THAT poo poo with such jubilant enthusiasm. Like they finally found an opportunity to stop being superheroes and just be plumbers. Unfortunately, Nintendo didn't continue this and instead had the fairies fix the pipes after. Why not have the fairy hand Mario/Luigi a magic wrench to let them fix it? C'monnnn Nintendo you were so close!

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Austrian mook posted:

Because one game holds up and the other doesn't. :colbert:

Seriously, I love 64, a lot, but the game looks like poo poo, controls really stiff and doesn't have the unique flavor that Sunshine has. 64 is like a really great burger, but Sunshine is a 4 course meal.

I've replayed 64 twice in the last few years and haven't touched Sunshine since it came out, so I probably owe it another shot to see if you're right or not. I always liked Sunshine a lot actually, but Mario 64 was a revolution and that makes it hard to compare the two fairly.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't even think it's close between 64 and Sunshine. While Sunshine is more refined, pretty much every other thing about 64 is better. Hell, the best parts of Sunshine are the parts where it gets rid of the main gimmick that the rest of the game makes you use. Still, all this talk about which is better is moot because both games are absoluteness crushed by the Galaxy games.

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007
Are there any solid leads on Gamecube titles coming to the Wii U eShop? I somehow missed Super Mario Sunshine and would love to pick it up digitally once I get my Wii U. Alternatively I could get a gamecube copy but I plan on retiring the Wii for a bit once I get the new box.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Iron Beagle posted:

Are there any solid leads on Gamecube titles coming to the Wii U eShop? I somehow missed Super Mario Sunshine and would love to pick it up digitally once I get my Wii U. Alternatively I could get a gamecube copy but I plan on retiring the Wii for a bit once I get the new box.

There's been dick-all for info on them. We assume the WiiU will eventually have at least the N64 section added too (someday) and we know GBA games are coming eventually but no idea if all the other consoles (TG-16 and Genesis and the like) or gamecube games are actually coming. At least for the gamecube games they mentioned it once but haven't mentioned it again since.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Commissar Ken posted:

There's been dick-all for info on them. We assume the WiiU will eventually have at least the N64 section added too (someday) and we know GBA games are coming eventually but no idea if all the other consoles (TG-16 and Genesis and the like) or gamecube games are actually coming. At least for the gamecube games they mentioned it once but haven't mentioned it again since.

That would be a good holiday surprise. Throw up Wave Race: Blue Storm, 1080: Avalanche, Luigi's Mansion, Custom Robo and Geist. Nothing too major but some good games. You can't just go with Paper Mario, Double Dash, Melee and F-Zero GX out the gate. That said, whenever they release X they should release Baten Kaitos soon after.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That would be a good holiday surprise. [...] Geist.

Gotta have some coal in that stocking, ehh?

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
I bought a Wii U Basic set on launch day and ended up selling it because I wasn't using it and the game selection was limited. I bought a PS4 and picked up the Wii U Wind Waker bundle and Super Mario 3D World at K Mart the system is on sale for $289 + $60 for Mario. I figure I'll use the Wii U for Nintendo exclusives and the PS4 and PC for everything else. I never played Wind Waker so hopefully it's good. I also have Skyward Sword that I never played. For registering the system on Nintendo.com you will have enough points to buy the original Metroid or Link to the Past which is 2 of my favorites.

One question I have is when I had my original Wii U I downloaded NSMBU off the e-store. I wonder if there is anyway I can get that back on this new system.

Now I need to find a copy of the Metroid Trilogy. K Mart has Super Mario Galaxy on sale for $14.99 also.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

jdfording posted:

One question I have is when I had my original Wii U I downloaded NSMBU off the e-store. I wonder if there is anyway I can get that back on this new system.

Nope! I mean, you could call Nintendo and ask, but the answer is very likely no.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Iron Beagle posted:

Nintendo of America’s "director of entertainment & trend marketing" said Gamecube games would be on the Wii U one day, but she was talking out her rear end and called the Wii U Virtual Console "WiiWare". When asked about this, Reggie said he'd love for GC games to come to Wii U one day, but that they had nothing to announce regarding it. He said the same thing about GTAV for Wii U.

jdfording posted:

I bought a Wii U Basic set on launch day and ended up selling it because I wasn't using it and the game selection was limited. I bought a PS4 and picked up the Wii U Wind Waker bundle and Super Mario 3D World at K Mart the system is on sale for $289 + $60 for Mario. I figure I'll use the Wii U for Nintendo exclusives and the PS4 and PC for everything else. I never played Wind Waker so hopefully it's good. I also have Skyward Sword that I never played. For registering the system on Nintendo.com you will have enough points to buy the original Metroid or Link to the Past which is 2 of my favorites.

Now I need to find a copy of the Metroid Trilogy. K Mart has Super Mario Galaxy on sale for $14.99 also.

This whole post is :retrogames:

And no, you can't get your NSMBU download back. Both consoles would have to be sent to Nintendo to transfer the purchase.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 27, 2013

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
The notoriously lovely YouTube app received an update today. It is decidedly less lovely - you can actually use the Gamepad for more than basic text entry!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SyHopeful posted:

The notoriously lovely YouTube app received an update today. It is decidedly less lovely - you can actually use the Gamepad for more than basic text entry!

Can you still not watch videos on the Gamepad? Or have it not dim the ruddy screen while watching a video?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

kirbysuperstar posted:

Can you still not watch videos on the Gamepad? Or have it not dim the ruddy screen while watching a video?

Both of those problems have been fixed!

E: You can now watch videos on the Gamepad and I'm pretty sure they fixed that dimming issue as well. Just to be clear.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SyHopeful posted:

Both of those problems have been fixed!

E: You can now watch videos on the Gamepad and I'm pretty sure they fixed that dimming issue as well. Just to be clear.

Well.. dang, maybe it'd actually be worth its existence, now :v:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well.. dang, maybe it'd actually be worth its existence, now :v:

Seriously. The previous version was so aggressively bad I took it personally.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Iron Beagle posted:

Finally signed up for Club Nintendo and was amazed by how many 1st party games I own for DS/3DS/Wii. I see that Link to the Past and the other games they're offering are set to expire in early December, I assume that is the day that they will refresh the store with some new stuff? Scared to spend my coins in case something really neat comes up.
Yeah they refresh every month I think. I've blown the coins on VC games...but didn't have enough for the 3DS XL cradle as a result :negative:*. You could save up and hope for something you want that's not available elsewhere (other than second hand like eBay), cause you can buy Zelda for $8 or whatever, vs 150 coins being $100+ or whatever in games/consoles.

*Course I can get a 3DS XL cradle for ~$30 on eBay vs 500 coins of stuff :shobon:

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That would be a good holiday surprise. Throw up Wave Race: Blue Storm, 1080: Avalanche, Luigi's Mansion, Custom Robo and Geist. Nothing too major but some good games. You can't just go with Paper Mario, Double Dash, Melee and F-Zero GX out the gate. That said, whenever they release X they should release Baten Kaitos soon after.
Reggie's big Spike TV announcement: GameCube games!

(I'll still be happy if F-Zero GX was part of that)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So, Nintendo Land, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker and 3D World. What other must buys are there?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

So, Nintendo Land, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker and 3D World. What other must buys are there?

New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, ZombiU for exclusives, Sonic Racing Transformed and Rayman Legends for multiplatorms.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Spin The Bottle.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gutcruncher posted:

New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, ZombiU for exclusives, Sonic Racing Transformed and Rayman Legends for multiplatorms.

If you're including multiplat then you may as well include Assassin's Creed 4, Batman: Arkham Origins, Resident Evil Revelations, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and so on and so forth. Might as well remind those third parties that the Wii U exists so they hopefully keep making games for it.

Hopefully.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gutcruncher posted:

wait, they, they made a third Pikmin game!?? :stare:

What?

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

What?

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS
Good question, they opened last E3 before the launch with a trailer of it! It was their biggest new game! (...then got delayed up until August I think)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Austrian mook posted:

What?

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS

It's a game on the Wii U, it's not difficult to miss. I keep forgetting there is a new Wii Party.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

MassRafTer posted:

It's a game on the Wii U, it's not difficult to miss. I keep forgetting there is a new Wii Party.

Pikmin 2 was a game I played a lot as a kid, is the new one any good?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Austrian mook posted:

Pikmin 2 was a game I played a lot as a kid, is the new one any good?

Oh hell yes. If you like Pikmin 1 and 2, you'll love it to bits.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh hell yes. If you like Pikmin 1 and 2, you'll love it to bits.

My desire to own this console just loving skyrocketed.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

My desire to own this console just loving skyrocketed.

Here ya go! Now run out and buy one asap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIIPkyWaiu0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
You know, I saw the discussion in thread about the new update letting you play Wii games on the Gamepad with a Wiimote and my reaction was a big meh. l mean wouldn't you have to sit at a table to balance the Gamepad? Is the gamepad even any good at recognising the motion controls?

But then last night I finally did the Wii transfer to the WiiU . I had just settled in to play some Mario Galaxy when my boyfriend came home so I said I'd give the Gamepad a try.

It was loving magical. Gamepad on my knees (in it's stand) works perfectly & l can play away while the TV is on. l had no idea how convenient it was going to be. We actually have a second tv I could have moved to but that involves getting up, going to a colder room yada yada. The Wii U is seriously going to be getting like 100% more use in my house. Particularly with Wind Waker and 3D world on their way from Amazon.

• Locked thread