Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Pretty funny Heidecker musician character today. Gotta love anticomedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Scott vociferously defending Batdance absolutely killed me. And I've loved Bill Callahan for many a year, so he gets a lot of leeway from me, enjoyed his presence. Agree that I don't totally understand the logic of ever having musical guests on CBB (beyond St. Vincent's utter disgust at Harris' jokes).

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I haven't listened to this weeks episode yet, but I generally like the concept of musical guests. Especially if the guest is comfortable and generally understands the show (St. Vincent, Bangles, Neko Case).

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The Bangles episode is a classic for me just because the music was so good.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Brock Samson posted:

Pretty funny Heidecker musician character today. Gotta love anticomedy.

I always avoided his music until I found his 12 minute Bob Dylan parody. It made me appreciate the man's genius again, after having not seen his show for many years.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

escape artist posted:

I always avoided his music until I found his 12 minute Bob Dylan parody. It made me appreciate the man's genius again, after having not seen his show for many years.

Way to miss the joke.

Callahan is just as boring and humorless as his music.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

NienNunb posted:

I haven't listened to this weeks episode yet, but I generally like the concept of musical guests. Especially if the guest is comfortable and generally understands the show (St. Vincent, Bangles, Neko Case).

I remember Aimee Mann being pretty good, too. She was on a couple different episodes, wasn't she?

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

barkingclam posted:

I remember Aimee Mann being pretty good, too. She was on a couple different episodes, wasn't she?

Aimee Mann was on at least one episode, she was pretty funny. I voted for the Neko Case episode, she was very good and held her own against Thomas Lennon and Rob Huebel which can't be easy.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Anyone else agree/disagree that this year's episodes have been weaker than the previous years?

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

jyrka posted:

Anyone else agree/disagree that this year's episodes have been weaker than the previous years?

I thought the best episodes of the year came out in the first half of 2013.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

GraPar posted:

Agree that I don't totally understand the logic of ever having musical guests on CBB (beyond St. Vincent's utter disgust at Harris' jokes).

The logic is it's Scott's show and he can do whatever he wants.

I haven't really liked any of the musical guests he's had (I love St. Vincent, but didn't like the performance) but I have this new feature on my 8 year old ipod called fast forward so it never bothers me. Plus they've all been worth it for Neko Case being an awesome guest and the aforementioned St. Vincent moment(s).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Hey man you might say that everybody hating on musical guests is just unproductive whinging but I ask you: when was the last time you heard a game of What am I Thinking?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

jyrka posted:

Maybe it's just me, but for me, it's been an okay year. Not as strong as 2012, though. Last year I struggled to narrow it down to 10 episodes, this year I knocked out 6 or 7 quickly and had to consult the show page on Earwolf for less memorable episodes to complete my vote.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

JayMax posted:

I thought the best episodes of the year came out in the first half of 2013.

Yeah that's what I was noticing too when I looked through the year's episodes. The second half of the year hasn't been bad though. They've been consistently good but not great.

I'm gonna have to listen to a bunch of episodes again to figure out what to vote for because there aren't a lot of episodes that stand out to me as great but a lot of episodes I remember being good but that I don't remember much of.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I wasn't even saying they shouldn't have musical guests, just that I wouldn't be too upset if never had another. But eh, you guys reminded me of a bunch of good musician moments (plus Yo La Tengo did some genuinely great performances on it), so maybe I'm talking poo poo.

I think this year has been pretty great but agreed that most of the truly great episodes were in the first half, in fact 5 of the best ones came consecutively (starting from the 4th anniversary special). Really enjoyed Horatio Sanz and Neil Campbell putting in lots of great work all year. Also I think Scott has only gotten funnier every single year of the podcast, so that's helped.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What was the worst episode of the year? It'd be kinda cool if you could see which episodes didn't get any votes

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 26, 2013

red state bait
Dec 9, 2006

Well at least the episode has Bob Ducca!

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Hey man you might say that everybody hating on musical guests is just unproductive whinging but I ask you: when was the last time you heard a game of What am I Thinking?

Thats not a good example, What Am I Thinking? reached it's zenith when Jimmy Pardo and Scott both yelled "Jizm" at the same time. There are no more worlds to be conquered.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

FitFortDanga posted:

Way to miss the joke.

What's the joke? Dylan was going to release a song about the Titanic, and Heidecker did a hilarious pastiche of it before Dylan could. Why am I loving buffoon today, Martin?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The joke being that Bill Calahan is a real person despite being as awkward and unfunny as a Heidecker bit, you palooka.
It's a bad joke as Tim's one of the all-time greatest guests and Bill's refusal to be interviewed was actually pretty funny too.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Is it bad that I don't remember half of these episodes? I don't know how to vote!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I fast forward through the musical interludes as well but y'all are forgetting: Don't Stop Or We'll Die!

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Inviting singer-songwriters on Comedy Bang Bang results in the same amount of fun as a dude busting out his acoustic guitar at a party.

That being said I would like to hear PFT's take on the strung out ghost of Elliott Smith.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Wrecking Ball about had me on the floor. Great ep.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I loved that it continued the CBB legacy of not bailing out comedians when they commit to awful songs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I loving love Bill Callahan, but it's weird that Scott couldn't gauge his vibe somehow before putting him on. It felt like he may have been expecting something different from the bits of probing to get him more participatory, but just from the music I'd have anticipated him being as reserved as he was. Perhaps more.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think Scott is actually really bad at knowing which guests will get his style of humor, or maybe he just doesn't care because he wants to get as many people on as he can.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
I think Scott just like having people who entertain him on his show. Who knows, the guy could be the life of the party when he's not on the radio with weirdos talking about nonsense.

I mean doesn't he look like the perfect comedy podcast guest?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I hadn't heard Wrecking Ball until I heard Ducca sing it. Definitive version in my book. Also, so glad Ducca is back in the rotation. He's such a consistently engaging character.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I lost it on the dalmatian and soccer ball bit then again on the claiming to be kidnapped by drug lords bit.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Don't forget that Ron Sexsmith was also a pretty hilarious guest musician.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Rufus Wainwright's dad was also a chill guy on the show, but I don't recall Scott engaging him as much in the comedy as he did with Callahan.

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!
Bjork is good too.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

LockHeart posted:

Bjork is good too.

Good point, I think part of her appeal is she doesn't do songs though, just engages with Scott in a nice in-depth interview.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

LockHeart posted:

Bjork is good too.

Well, "pulled Bjork sandwich" was a funny thing to say.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I really really liked episode 240 with Pegg, Wright, and Frost. It's definitely in my top 10.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

soggybagel posted:

I really really liked episode 240 with Pegg, Wright, and Frost. It's definitely in my top 10.

I forgot about this and you are right, that episode was great. Spot on impressions and fun banter. Dudes were clearly happy to have a break from the standard promotion circuit.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

soggybagel posted:

The middle bit where they do Michael Caine and Sean Connery is probably my favourite (and most listened to) single segment of CBB all year, it's incredible.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

moot the hopple posted:

Rufus Wainwright's dad was also a chill guy on the show, but I don't recall Scott engaging him as much in the comedy as he did with Callahan.

If I remember correctly, that one sounded like the music parts were recorded separately and spliced in after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

moot the hopple posted:

Not that I'm a fan or even know much about Louden Wainright III but I feel like it's a little unfair for him to be know as "Rufus Wainwright's dad".