Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

Phenotype posted:

What is the slacker bracket you guys keep talking about, and how do I get there? I am going against people with multiple 25-30 heroes and my goal was like, the 325 Heroic token in the Reinforcements tournament. It takes forever to luck into a match I think I have a chance in.

You don't get put into a bracket until you finish your first fight, so the thinking is that the longer you delay joining a tournament the better your chances of avoiding a group full of try-hards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I just joined the Red ISO event. This is one of those fabled slacker brackets, isn't it?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MeramJert posted:

I just joined the Red ISO event. This is one of those fabled slacker brackets, isn't it?

I joined mine a half hour ago and it's pretty slack but my top ten are all in the 400s, so yeah it looks like you got a really good one.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
What are the tops looking like in the less slack brackets?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

WetSpink posted:

What are the tops looking like in the less slack brackets?

My top 5 already has all progression rewards...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MeramJert posted:

My bracket looked just like that when I joined it until 40 minutes later when the top 60 were all past 400 points.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Shwqa posted:

My top 5 already has all progression rewards...

Jesus. I joined right when it popped up and we're around 600 points. I really wish I hadn't hopped right in it but I was too excited to be able to do one of these events and didn't think about it.

I just realized that all my hard work in Reinforcements is probably going to be wiped out tomorrow as I'll be tied up with Thanksgiving poo poo through the whole day. I might try to make a push for 1400 points tonight or tomorrow morning.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Cool, so 2 turns at the standard hero lottery got me a Ragnarok red and then a Ragnarok green in succession.

Then I had poor impulse control and spent about $40 on hero points. Hey, at least I have 25 cover slots and my wolverine is now 5/3/5 and my captain america is 3/5/5!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:stare:

Well, guess their business model actually works.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Phenotype posted:

What is the slacker bracket you guys keep talking about, and how do I get there? I am going against people with multiple 25-30 heroes and my goal was like, the 325 Heroic token in the Reinforcements tournament. It takes forever to luck into a match I think I have a chance in.

Event brackets and the group you fight within are different groups.

Event brackets fill up as people start the event, it's not dependant on your skill level. ie: first batch are the first 200 players to start, second batch are the next 200 players, third batch are the next 200 players, etc... So some of us start later in the hopes of getting into a slacker bracket.

Who you fight depends on your PVP wins and loses, and (I think) your placement in previous events. There's a post on the official forums about it, but I can't find it at the moment. Basically, if you keep racking up wins, you'll be placed in the better groups filled with people who also keep winning. Lose some matches and you'll be placed in a lower group with (hopefully) easier opponents.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

For $40 you could buy an entire real game.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Can anyone remember the timing on the resets for the Red ISO event? Was it new missions every day or couple of days?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

bubbapook posted:

Can anyone remember the timing on the resets for the Red ISO event? Was it new missions every day or couple of days?

Think the missions changed around noon daily.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Eddain posted:

Think the missions changed around noon daily.

Every other day.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Top in my Iso bracket is 1051. I got a bit carried away and grinded (ground?) my way up to 700 (wolverine is so much fun, filling up the board with Strike Tiles is the best), and I'm still only 55. Hopefully Invisible Woman will pop up in other places quite soon after. I've ended up wanting to collect every hero/villain now, even if they're rubbish.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Haha yes reached 1000 points for the Reinforcements event and got my hero points. It's been a very relaxing event with hardly any retaliations, probably because no one wants to take on a team that has almost 30000 hitpoints. :v:

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
The fact that all we get for thanksgiving is a crappy sale on their terrible iap items bodes ill for future holiday goodies.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I don't understand the scaling in the ISO event. I'm trying to keep in range of the gent in first place, but both of my repeatables drop to 0 before I get within 100 points of him. It seems like the value might increase over time, rather than as a function of your overall position in the rankings?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Here's how to understand the rubberbanding in the Unstable ISO event:

1) Put your head in a paper bag.
2) Breathe in and out as rapidly as you can.
3) When you wake up, it will make sense to you. If not, repeat.

Also: Thanks to a lucky Standard and then a lucky Diabolical token, FFFFFFFFFFFFFFINALLY a Ragnarok!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
On the plus side, this is still an improvement from "everyone gets 20x the points as the guy in #1"!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

delfin posted:

Here's how to understand the rubberbanding in the Unstable ISO event:

1) Put your head in a paper bag.
2) Breathe in and out as rapidly as you can.
3) When you wake up, it will make sense to you. If not, repeat.

Also: Thanks to a lucky Standard and then a lucky Diabolical token, FFFFFFFFFFFFFFINALLY a Ragnarok!

When I started the fight with Yelena it was worth 35 points, when I finished it, it was worth 29 points, and I am now out of missions to do and am only in 71st place. I'm not even going to bother trying to figure it out.

I did get a Spider-Man from one of the events though, it was my second :unsmigghh: Now I have two purple Spider-Man covers :smith:

edit: I don't mean when I finished getting all of my Yelena rewards the point total was down to 29. I mean when I started my last fight and got my last reward it was worth 35 before I started it and I got 29 when I finished.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 28, 2013

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Something I noticed about the guaranteed Spider-Man cover you can buy that made me laugh: you can get a purple one. I think I'd rather have Bag Man.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

McDragon posted:

Something I noticed about the guaranteed Spider-Man cover you can buy that made me laugh: you can get a purple one. I think I'd rather have Bag Man.

Eh, it's levels until you have 3 of em atleast. Might scare people off trying to fight you if you have a decently leveled Spider-man even if you are faking.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

My team is far from great but I've pretty much levelled all the 1 star characters as much as I want to. I've got 11 1 star lottery tokens from recent events but there doesn't seem much point in using them; any thoughts on whether they will release any new 1 star characters?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

GTO posted:

My team is far from great but I've pretty much levelled all the 1 star characters as much as I want to. I've got 11 1 star lottery tokens from recent events but there doesn't seem much point in using them; any thoughts on whether they will release any new 1 star characters?

The standard tokens can drop any hero in the game. Including Spider-Man blue and ragnarok red.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

WetSpink posted:

Eh, it's levels until you have 3 of em atleast. Might scare people off trying to fight you if you have a decently leveled Spider-man even if you are faking.

That's true. I've already got three though.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
New red ISO missions are up. Looks like the Yelena Daken one has another purple Spidey cover (hey, at least he can level up a bit more).

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Redeemed the 11 tokens, got 3 Yelena, Venom, Hawkeye, Iron man, juggernaut, 2 storm (all the one star versions), plus a thor and an astonishing wolverine. So 2/11 isn't too bad I guess.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I joined the Reinforcements event to try and get a slacker bracket, and I managed to get up up to the 900 reward. I don't even have that high of a level IM40, just level 66. Team is probably going to get crabbed hard since it's only 66 IM40, 65 Thor, 26 Black Widow 2 star. One other guy was going for the same thing, he and I have been trading back 1 and 2 today.

I don't even know if I want that Wolverine but it's pretty cool to be at the top of a bracket I guess. I wonder how many points I am going to lose or if a decently high level Iron Man 40 will be enough of a deterrent. Even as only a level 66 his red power hits for about 4400 and the blue does 2200. Starting with 6 blue/purple/red/yellow has been really good for me all day, with the +5 all AP environment tile and Widow stealing blues hitting the 20 blue is not that hard at all, and honestly the IM40 Blue attack can nearly one shot teams that aren't extremely tanky.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw man, no forest repeatable in the Red Iso missions today. Maiming everyone with forest fire was the best thing.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
I just got into my first Classic Storm duel, hillarious poo poo. Got enough red AP that my Thor could nuke down their Thor and IM40. Good thing medkits replenish as quickly as they do these days.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Game heard me bad mouthing purple Spidey and gave me one. On the plus side, got another Wolverine. Two more yellows to go and he's all skilled up the way I want him.

Incidentally, I wish all heroes had at least one skill that called them by their actual name rather than their hero name. I think "James rips the enemy to shreds" and "Steve gallantly launches his shield at the enemy" would make me laugh.

I guess it would be like a news article about the Pope. First mention it's "the Pope" and the second is almost always "the Pontiff". Can't remember who pointed that out to me but I see it everywhere.

SchwarzKreuz
Jun 25, 2003
What types of team comps are people using for the reinforcement tournament? I'm thinking of trying IM40, Widow (Classic) and Storm Classic when I start it tomorrow.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

McDragon posted:

Game heard me bad mouthing purple Spidey and gave me one.

:smith::hf::smith:

Put my Spidey up to a pitiful 0/0/2.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I got a Purple Spidey and I'm thrilled. Mine is 5/4/3 now, awaiting just that last Blue / 1250 points to skillmax him.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is there anyone in particular I should use to dissuade people from attacking me? As far as offense goes I can get by with my wolverine and thor but for some reason I get attacked a bunch.

Here's a list of dudes I have

Classic Spider-Man (only purple power)
Classic Storm (all powers) LV 32
Modern Captain America (all powers) LV21
Grey suit Black Widow (only purple) LV 18
Model 35 Ironman (all powers) LV 35
Model 40 Ironman (only red power)
Moonstone (only purple and red powers) LV 11
Original Blackwidow (Only blue and purple) LV 8

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

BGrifter posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

Put my Spidey up to a pitiful 0/0/2.

I didn't get the purple drop so I'm just at 0/0/1 :smith:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
5/5/3 Thor, 5/3/5 Wolverine and some variant of Classic Storm (personally I like 5/5/3 but preferences vary) make an outstanding base to start farming rarer covers from.

As for Spidey-chat, he's one I just have lousy luck pulling. Starting to get a decent amount of Magneto Now covers though and he makes a badass 3rd for Thor/CStorm.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

DrManiac posted:

Is there anyone in particular I should use to dissuade people from attacking me? As far as offense goes I can get by with my wolverine and thor but for some reason I get attacked a bunch.

The short answer is no. Unless teams are DRAMATICALLY different in power, anyone can beat anyone when it's their turn on offense, thanks to boosts and strategy and lack of braindead AI.

I'm leveling my Magneto NOW! and he's impressive, but my Magneto Classic is a loving monster and he's not even done skilling yet. The red power is iffy but the blue and purple are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DrManiac posted:

Not really. Once you start getting max levelled 2* characters and above, everything starts looking like a nice target.

SchwarzKreuz posted:

What types of team comps are people using for the reinforcement tournament? I'm thinking of trying IM40, Widow (Classic) and Storm Classic when I start it tomorrow.

I'm using an Original Fishnet Widow, IM40 and Wolvie. Tearing poo poo up everywhere. IM40 is just a massive wall of hitpoints, but I dont really care since I go in on the forest map to rapidly build up environment tiles that will wreck poo poo. A 15000hp IM40 is just a bump in the road.