Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I used one of those "stupid invisible shield" covers for two years, they are more tacky than a simple hard protector but neither the screen nor the protector actually ever got a scratch. Some people really don't like the feel of them, though. If my current phone didn't come with gorilla glass 3 I would probably buy another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralphus
Dec 15, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Oh I've used them before, I'm more looking for brands or something.

I've used PureTek screen protectors on my Motorola Electrify 2 and my GS4 with pretty good results. The packaging contains a tray that you put your phone in and then you take the included roller and snap it in a track in the tray. You then just kind of roll it across the phone and it applies the screen protector pretty much perfectly. Not sure if they make one for your specific phone but I've had no issues with them and I usually don't like screen protectors. It applied much, much easier than the Zagg, Skinomi, and Best-Skins-Ever protectors that I've used in the past. I think they make matte and anti-bacterial variations for some phones too.

I might order one next week since this thread convinced me to sell my GS4 and buy a Moto-X. I love it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have one of the new Nexus wireless chargers and have never had a wireless charger before. It's awesome and works fine, but I'm wondering how much less effective it is with a case on the phone? I have the Diztronic one for my Nexus 5. Anyone have any experiences with this? I really don't want to stop using a case, as the protruding camera lens glass thing makes me nervous to place on a desk or something with no case.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Flash drive and OTG cable arrived today :D

I went through a few apps with no success but finally landed on Total Command + Stick Plugin which allowed me to browse the usb drive and play movies on my Nexus 5.

Seems like it'll work well, have any Nexus 5 users used other apps for OTG?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have one of the new Nexus wireless chargers and have never had a wireless charger before. It's awesome and works fine, but I'm wondering how much less effective it is with a case on the phone? I have the Diztronic one for my Nexus 5. Anyone have any experiences with this? I really don't want to stop using a case, as the protruding camera lens glass thing makes me nervous to place on a desk or something with no case.

I'm pretty sure it will either charge or not charge. It's not going to be slower with a case.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I'm pretty sure it will either charge or not charge. It's not going to be slower with a case.

Oh poo poo is that how it works? Thanks, like I said, this is a new magical thing for me.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

This isn't true at all, and some cases if thick enough will prevent it from charging at all.`

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

This isn't true at all, and some cases if thick enough will prevent it from charging at all.`

It charges, and the phone is totally aware it's wirelessly charging, etc, I'm just wondering if the effectiveness is decreased by a case. I don't really know much about these.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

Oh I've used them before, I'm more looking for brands or something.

Glass screen protectors exist, fyi. I've been using one on my gs3 for a while now. If you can handle stuff getting inside between the screen and the protector, and can justify spending ~$30, get one.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Nokia charger will blink furiously at you if it doesn't have a strong enough connection to charge reliably. I get the steady solid charging light when charging my Nexus 5 through the diztronic TPU case. Works fine.

If I need to fast charge my phone I'll just plug it in. You can get 2.1A via USB, you will max out at 1.6A using Qi, probably closer to 1.1A.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hadlock posted:

The Nokia charger will blink furiously at you if it doesn't have a strong enough connection to charge reliably. I get the steady solid charging light when charging my Nexus 5 through the diztronic TPU case. Works fine.

If I need to fast charge my phone I'll just plug it in. You can get 2.1A via USB, you will max out at 1.6A using Qi, probably closer to 1.1A.

Awesome, thank you. Yeah, I'm not expecting a fast charge out of this thing, it's more to keep it topped up in a super easy way without even thinking about it or messing with cables.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

it's more to keep it topped up in a super easy way without even thinking about it or messing with cables.

I have one at the office and one on my bedside stand and they keep it topped off throughout the day. Unless I'm headed somewhere the phone only lives off the charger(s) for the 20 minutes it takes to get to the office and back home again. 6-8 hours on the Qi charger through the diztronic case is enough to charge it overnight from 20% or so.

the last s0n
Aug 12, 2013

TenaciousTomato posted:

So the headphone jack on the Droid Maxx is loving terrible

Fun story, it looks like the Moto X/Maxx/Ultra doesn't yet support headphone port accessories. Folks are unable to use this like the square card reader. I have an analog HRV receiver that doesn't work in my Moto X, so I'm having to keep my old Rezound on hand for my daily measurements.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
As a newbie to the concept of wireless charging, I find it odd to have to restrict my phone's mobility even more while charging. Is there any big advantage to wireless charging that I'm not seeing such as faster charging or less battery wear?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Freezer posted:

As a newbie to the concept of wireless charging, I find it odd to have to restrict my phone's mobility even more while charging. Is there any big advantage to wireless charging that I'm not seeing such as faster charging or less battery wear?
Well, you don't have to plug it in. So you just drop it on the pad and go. Or grab it and go. Whichever the case may be.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Freezer posted:

Your port dont look like poo poo in 6 months from plugging it in in the dark. Thats why I'm using it personally.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

grack posted:

Am I the only person on the planet who never had any problems with a 2X/G2X?
Almost certainly, the stock software on my 2X was horrific... there was always a good chance that it would crash overnight and so no alarm. CyanogenMod 7 made it much better, but the early days of that was pretty terrible too.

Ashex posted:

I've used StickMount on mine, does what you'd expect.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Well my N5 has it's first scratches from god knows what. They're 'only' on the glass over the camera and outside of the view. It could be worse but it's basically luck it wasn't straight over the camera.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Android 4.4 is available for Google Experience S4's.
Upgraded to Android 4.4, no double menus experienced like some people joked about.
Anyone else get the 4.4 update on their GPe S4's or HTC Ones?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tuluk posted:

Upgraded to Android 4.4, no double menus experienced like some people joked about.
So the overflow button doesn't show on any action bar? Interesting, they must have reversed that change specifically for the S4.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Woah, i totally forgot about Motorola's $100 trade in program, i have a piece of poo poo motorola triumph i never bothered to resell and that's eligible... now i'm actually tempted to get a moto X on cyber monday:

http://www.mototradeup.com/

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Just bought a Sprint LG G2

COME AT ME GOONS!!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Grumpwagon posted:

Just bought a Sprint LG G2

COME AT ME GOONS!!

I think you punished yourself enough already.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Sereri posted:

I think you punished yourself enough already.

Relevant details:

I clicked buy, and switched over to this tab to post that post. Came back to the Sprint page and have some weird rear end "our website is broken" error. I should probably take that as a bad sign and reconsider.

So I'm going to modify my post:

I HAVEN'T YET BOUGHT A SPRINT LG G2 BUT INTEND TO ONCE THEIR POS WEBSITE DECIDES TO LET ME!!

COME AT ME GOONS!!!

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Ashex posted:

Flash drive and OTG cable arrived today :D

I went through a few apps with no success but finally landed on Total Command + Stick Plugin which allowed me to browse the usb drive and play movies on my Nexus 5.

I have used a couple apps with limited success, Total Commander USB plugin is the first one that works out of the box. Anything else I've used will see the files and folders but for some reason won't associate file types with the appropriate apps. TC USB plugin recognizes file types and let's me select a default app/player to use with the file type. Thanks for the link!

Not sure if it makes a difference but I'm using a meenova mini micro USB card reader, its pretty handy, no cable to mess with just plug and go. With a 64G card.

http://www.meenova.com

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

I HAVEN'T YET BOUGHT A SPRINT LG G2 BUT INTEND TO ONCE THEIR POS WEBSITE DECIDES TO LET ME!!
Even the Sprint website doesn't want you to buy that phone. Think about it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

the last s0n posted:

Fun story, it looks like the Moto X/Maxx/Ultra doesn't yet support headphone port accessories. Folks are unable to use this like the square card reader. I have an analog HRV receiver that doesn't work in my Moto X, so I'm having to keep my old Rezound on hand for my daily measurements.

Didn't the recent "camera OTA" update fix this?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

the last s0n posted:

Have you received the 4.4 update yet on your Moto X, and if so, have you tried since then? The release notes for the 4.4 update includes "Added support for Square card reader," so it sounds like there may have been a fix for that.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Of course, the week after I get my Nexus 5, I realize that Motorola makes a Maxx Developer Edition available which is not locked to Verizon and uses LTE Band 4, takes a SIM card, and in other words is fully compatible with T-Mobile.

Now I'm kicking myself.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Mister Fister posted:

Woah, i totally forgot about Motorola's $100 trade in program, i have a piece of poo poo motorola triumph i never bothered to resell and that's eligible... now i'm actually tempted to get a moto X on cyber monday:

http://www.mototradeup.com/

I had some other rom installed on my X2 before I moved over to my S3. Do I need to move it back to stock? If not, how do I wipe my data from the device before I bring it in?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Exit Strategy posted:

Of course, the week after I get my Nexus 5, I realize that Motorola makes a Maxx Developer Edition available which is not locked to Verizon and uses LTE Band 4, takes a SIM card, and in other words is fully compatible with T-Mobile.

Now I'm kicking myself.

Is the Maxx developer edition fully compatible with AT&T?

Edit: and does it have always listening mode as well?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mister Fister posted:

Is the Maxx developer edition fully compatible with AT&T?

Edit: and does it have always listening mode as well?

It will do HSPA+ but not LTE on AT&T, as it only has LTE band support for Verizon. But yes, it does have the always listening.

The Maxx model Verizon sells is fully unlocked too, I tried a friend's T-Mobile SIM in mine just to see what happened and it worked just fine on HSPA+.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

the last s0n posted:

Oh, so they overlooked this part of the phone? caveman eat it turkey

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The previous round of updates resolved the issues with headphone jack accessories.

http://phandroid.com/2013/11/11/moto-x-droid-mini-ultra-maxx-support-square-register-jawbone-up/

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

TenaciousTomato posted:

Oh, so they overlooked this part of the phone? caveman eat it turkey

You don't deserve your stupid phone!

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
As a Nexus 4 owner, if I wanted to upgrade on the cheap (off contract) for a better camera and battery life, then the Moto X on cyber Monday would be my best bet, right?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Gold and a Pager posted:

As a Nexus 4 owner, if I wanted to upgrade on the cheap (off contract) for a better camera and battery life, then the Moto X on cyber Monday would be my best bet, right?

Yes, I'd personally get the Nexus 5, but the Moto X is very nice. With the black friday discount, putting the 16GB at $349. You can sell the Nexus 4 for probably $200 as well. $150 isn't too bad.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm unhappy with the software but I ended up buying a white G2 off if swappa for 385.

For reasons not worth explaining I can't use the nexus 5 and decided at the same price the G2 made more sense than a Moto X mostly just for the Droid MAXX like battery life. I'm going to try to get used to stock + Nova.

I previously got a white gs3 and can't suggest white phones enough for mobile developers. Most every work/wife/friend phone is either black or dark blue and a white phone saves you do much effort always finding your phone.

I hope the g2 stock Rom doesn't such as much add I fear. Then again I carried a WP7 so I can deal with nearly anything.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Kafka Esq. posted:

I ordered a 16gb Nexus 5 on November 12th. The card it was ordered on was lost and cancelled. I ordered another one on the 18th when I got my new card because it wouldn't let me change anything on Google Play. I phoned in to make sure the Nov 12th order was cancelled and they told me that both had been cancelled. I raised a fuss and they said to order a new one and they'd give me a credit for the trouble. So I ordered the 32gb.

Now I have emails saying ALL THREE have shipped.
You might not get charged for the first if it is cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Loucks posted:

I usually have 10-20 Chrome tabs open on my S4, but that's just because there's no incentive to close them.

The Moto G looks great, but it doesn't qualify for the only decent cheap plan I know of (T-Mobile $30 100/Unl/Unl) unless it's sold through Walmart or T-Mobile. T-Mobile doesn't seem to offer anything by Motorola, and all of Walmart's Motorolas are obsolete, as in Gingerbread. As far as I can tell the other T-Mobile plans are mediocre at best, and AT&T has completely unreasonable pricing if one actually expects to use data. Is there another sanely-priced plan people expect to use the Moto G with, or is the phone just for those who feel like being abused by Straight Talk or another equally terrible MVNO?

You don't need to buy your phone at Walmart, only the SIM. Actually you don't even need to buy the SIM there, I bought mine at Walgreens by accident and they let me use it with the Walmart plan. I have the $30 100 min unlimited everything else on my Nexus 5.

• Locked thread