Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Strange Quark posted:

Maybe not, but the longest between entries hasn't ever been more a little over two years, and Trauma Team didn't get stunning numbers and wasn't even released in Europe.

Are there any actual sales figures on Trauma Team from a reliable source? Everything I've heard says that it bombed harder than the Enola Gay, but the only numbers I can find are from VGChartz, which apparently gets its numbers by reading entrails.

Delsaber posted:

While it's not exactly a dormant IP, part of me is still wishing for a proper Phantasy Star V after all these years, even knowing that it'll never happen.

I'm the guy who replays Phantasy Star IV once a year, so...

I'm as big a fan of the series as anyone but I don't see how you could do a proper sequel; I could see a side story taking place during the series' timeline (maybe in between games, or maybe set on Earth or something), but PS4's ending already tied up the main series' plot pretty neatly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Cake Attack posted:

Nah, it wasn't. Three had you as a member of a squad of convicts that got sent on suicide missions because nobody cares about you. It was anime as hell all the same, but still.

3 was a much better game, and should have come out over here. (There's a patch in the works, fortunately.)

Man, that sounds way better than 2. The good news about stuff like this is if Sega is really gonna let Atlus USA keep operating independently (which seems to be the case, I keep getting emails from them at least) they'll almost certainly pick up localization projects like VC3 that Sega of America previously wouldn't touch. It's not like anything Sega of Japan puts out can be any more niche than the stuff they already do. They put out the Dept. Heaven games in English for gently caress's sake.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why would they localize a game on a completely dead system...

I doubt they'd touch projects like that anyway, Atlus is pretty smart about what they would choose to localize.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Alteisen posted:

I doubt they'd touch projects like that anyway, Atlus is pretty smart about what they would choose to localize.

PSP games still come out once in awhile as budget-priced PSN exclusives.

Not that I think Atlus will localize VC3, because they won't, but there is still a precedent for PSP localizations.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Alteisen posted:

I'm not saying that Atlus will localize VC3, because they obviously won't. What I meant was that if Sega of Japan releases more niche stuff in the future like Valkyria Chronicles or Yakuza or whatever that the American branch of Sega has refused to localize in the past, it would be presumably very easy for Atlus USA to pick up those projects now that they're under the same corporate umbrella.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I would legitimately pay money for Fighting Vipers DLC characters in Persona 4 Arena.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I'd have to dig up the interview, but I wouldn't be shocked if Atlus decides to localize Valkyria Chronicles 3 in the future. I remember them expressing shock a little while back that it hadn't come out, and how they approached Sega (America/Europe) for the rights to localize it, just to be told to gently caress off. Also the VC3 Extra Edition is Vita compatible. Yes its on a dead handheld, but it would probably still sell well enough on the Vita. The free to play card game over there is pretty much on life support these days. Plus even if VC3 doesn't come over, future games would probably come over, since Atlus localizes the oddest loving things.

It's also infinitely more likely to happen than what others are hoping for in "Fire Emblem x Shin Megami x Valkyria Chronicles"

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 28, 2013

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Thuryl posted:

I'm as big a fan of the series as anyone but I don't see how you could do a proper sequel; I could see a side story taking place during the series' timeline (maybe in between games, or maybe set on Earth or something), but PS4's ending already tied up the main series' plot pretty neatly.

Yeah, and it's still one of the best endings I've seen in terms of wrapping everything up properly. I can only think of a couple minor loose threads, such as the whereabouts and/or ultimate fate of The Great Light and maybe just how hosed Motavia might be without Nurvus, but neither require a follow-up or anything. I think I'd really just like to revisit that setting again, see what's up. Algo could be a pretty interesting place 10 to 100 years later.

Hell, I might be happy just to see someone else take a stab at Phantasy Star for once. I wonder if Sega will keep it under their control now that they have Atlus, and how Atlus would even approach that style. They've of course handled sci-fi/fantasy concepts before, but nothing quite like Phantasy Star.

Endorph posted:

Also, play Dragon Force, it rules.

It absolutely does. Best reason to own a Saturn, aside from perhaps Saturn Bomberman with a multitap and several controllers.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
I'm laughing so hard at the fact that the CEO of Sega is pretty much saying "Our western side loving sucks, guys. Good news though, we own Atlus now, so maybe their awesome western side will finally bring you the games you want to play." That being said, I'm glad they're going to let Atlus USA continue doing their own things with localizing other companies games, at least I assume, just with the added ability of bringing over Sega games. Also, with the mention of them being able to make games with dormant IPs, I would pay any amount for another Jet Set Radio.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I wonder if this means ATLUS can finally bring Phantasy Star Online 2 to the US :v:

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

DrManiac posted:

I wonder if this means ATLUS can finally bring Phantasy Star Online 2 to the US :v:

Didn't they initially localize SMT: IMAGINE before whoever took over it came in?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JetGrind posted:

Didn't they initially localize SMT: IMAGINE before whoever took over it came in?

No, that was Aeria Games and then Atlus Online took it. I think? Augh, I can't remember. It's one way or the other.

We'll never get PSO2 by the way.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, that was Aeria Games and then Atlus Online took it. I think? Augh, I can't remember. It's one way or the other.

Yeah, it was that exactly.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Thuryl posted:

Are there any actual sales figures on Trauma Team from a reliable source? Everything I've heard says that it bombed harder than the Enola Gay, but the only numbers I can find are from VGChartz, which apparently gets its numbers by reading entrails.

Western sales numbers are just about impossible especially for smaller/niche games because the company that compiles sales data doesn't release it publicly. Generally they only release a top ten with no numbers. So it's down to the individual companies to decide if they want to release the specific numbers for a game or not. Obviously they only do that when the numbers are really good, though, which Trauma Team apparently wasn't.

In Japan the numbers for the top ten are released and anything below that can be summed up as "pretty terrible". This is the neogaf post from when it was released in Japan and, as you can see, it was way down on the list. It very possibly didn't even scrape together 10k sales in its opening week.

It's funny because I remember once a really long time ago one of the Atlus people said on their official forums that the Trauma Center games were far and away their biggest sellers in the west. But that was back in the earlier DS days, the franchise must have kind of fallen off a cliff from there. I think that the idea of a surgery simulator had a fair amount of mainstream appeal but the difficulty and anime of it probably turned people off eventually.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

They finally revealed Sho's Persona in Persona 4 Arena 2: Attack of the Clones:

It's Tsukiyomi, the Japanese Moon God. (He's the spawn of Izanagi and was born after Izanagi returned from his spat with Izanami in the Underworld, so take that as you will)

Overall, eh, it feels a little too derivative of Izanagi's design.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TurnipFritter posted:

My immediate thought was Trismegistus, to be honest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

It's Tsukiyomi, the Japanese Moon God. (He's the spawn of Izanagi and was born after Izanagi returned from his spat with Izanami in the Underworld, so take that as you will)

That's pretty much exactly who I was expecting it to be to be honest.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

According to the SMT wiki, Sho's title is "The Lawbreaking Pun Machine" when he's solo, then "The Defaced Dark Messiah" once he gets Tsukuyomi. It also says

quote:

He seems to disregard companionship as he mocks Yu Narukami for his "useless" friendship with others. He also seems to want to rescue the captured members of the Shadow Operatives before Yu is able to do so, especially Aigis.
He probably has some connection to the Shadow Operatives, and/or the Kirijo group.

Edit: I was thinking about his title as "The Defaced Dark Messiah". He couldn't be the malevolent entity could he?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Butt Ghost posted:

According to the SMT wiki, Sho's title is "The Lawbreaking Pun Machine" when he's solo,

Great, another game spouting garbage about the need for pun control.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Puns are the best form of comedy. I hope he constantly spouts puns. Just a never ending torrent of puns.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

PureRok posted:

Puns are the best form of comedy. I hope he constantly spouts puns. Just a never ending torrent of puns.

I Sho hope so too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

According to the SMT wiki, Sho's title is "The Lawbreaking Pun Machine" when he's solo, then "The Defaced Dark Messiah" once he gets Tsukuyomi. It also says
He probably has some connection to the Shadow Operatives, and/or the Kirijo group.

Edit: I was thinking about his title as "The Defaced Dark Messiah". He couldn't be the malevolent entity could he?

The Defaced Dark Messiah instantly makes me think of the P3 protagonist. Or I guess his evil counterpart.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PureRok posted:

Let me tell you about the dangers of a Loaded Pun.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Butt Ghost posted:

You mean Nyarlathotep? Or just the mysterious thingy from the end of Arena? Either way, trying to rescue people doesn't sound like something they'd do. Unless they'd get to have fun torturing their psyches afterwards.

Edit:

ImpAtom posted:

The Defaced Dark Messiah instantly makes me think of the P3 protagonist. Or I guess his evil counterpart.

I have no idea how/if that would work story wise, but it would certainly explain why he wants to save the SEES people first.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Man, that sounds way better than 2. The good news about stuff like this is if Sega is really gonna let Atlus USA keep operating independently (which seems to be the case, I keep getting emails from them at least) they'll almost certainly pick up localization projects like VC3 that Sega of America previously wouldn't touch. It's not like anything Sega of Japan puts out can be any more niche than the stuff they already do. They put out the Dept. Heaven games in English for gently caress's sake.

Maybe this means that we'll finally start getting Puyo Puyo games in English again. :unsmith:

(Yeah I know we won't but I can dream)

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it sounds like it could be their shadow. It could easily tie into Elizabeth's story and her trying to save Minato. The only thing that doesn't seem to line up with that is his Persona.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

Ehh, I'll give em' a pass since it's literally Izanagi's son and Sho probably has some relation to Yu.

[e] And as far as Izanagi rip-offs go it's 100x cooler than Magatsu-Izanagi

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 28, 2013

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

You mean Nyarlathotep? Or just the mysterious thingy from the end of Arena? Either way, trying to rescue people doesn't sound like something they'd do. Unless they'd get to have fun torturing their psyches afterwards.
Who knows? He might just want them for their Shadows, but I wouldn't know why he'd want the Shadow Operatives exclusively, since the malevolent entity wanted everyone's Shadows. Unless it's because they're in a vulnerable state.

Now, a Messiah is usually defined as a messenger of God. Perhaps you can even view it as an Avatar. If Sho is the "Defaced Dark Messiah", could that mean he's a messenger, pawn, or perhaps even a puppet of the malevolent entity? This could also be more evidence pointing at this to be the work of Nyarlathotep, since possession and manipulation was his schtick in P1 and P2.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 28, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Butt Ghost posted:

Now, a Messiah is usually defined as a messenger of God. Perhaps you can even view it as an Avatar. If Sho is the "Defaced Dark Messiah", could that mean he's a messenger, pawn, or perhaps even a puppet of the malevolent entity? This could also be more evidence pointing at this to be the work of Nyarlathotep, since possession and manipulation was his schtick in P1 and P2.

Plus in the Mythos, this was Nyarly's initial story. That's definitely Dark Messiah territory. I definitely wouldn't put it past Atlus to be making a direct reference.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

And now Marvelous/XSEED own it.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Silly Voodoo posted:

Maybe this means that we'll finally start getting Puyo Puyo games in English again. :unsmith:

(Yeah I know we won't but I can dream)

Everytime I hear news about Puyo Tetris I sort of cry on the inside.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Remember that Arena had two antagonists: the Malevolent Entity, heavily implied to be Nyarlathotep, and the Eerie Voice, the guy who hijacked Labrys in the routes with the P4 cast sans Naoto.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

pichupal posted:

Everytime I hear news about Puyo Tetris I sort of cry on the inside.

Yeah, me too. :negative: I mean, I get there are only so many gimmicks you can do in a puzzle game and you have to at least try to justify a new release, but come on.

Since there are so many characters now I kind of wish they would take the series back to its Madou Monogatari roots and make a straight up JRPG, but that will never happen.

TurnipFritter posted:

This probably doesn't mean anything, but I wonder if the red and black colour scheme is meant to contrast P4's yellow and black colour scheme. Also wow, those heels.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Testekill posted:

Still no announcement of when SMT IV is getting an Australian release. Considering that you can preorder it from most major game retailers, that's getting a little ridiculous.

This is the EXACT reason I just imported a US 3DS. Because it's region locked and people are really terrible about bring stuff to PAL territories.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

CandyCrazy posted:

Remember that Arena had two antagonists: the Malevolent Entity, heavily implied to be Nyarlathotep, and the Eerie Voice, the guy who hijacked Labrys in the routes with the P4 cast sans Naoto.

These weren't the same person?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There was no indication they were the same person. The Malevolent Entity made a point of conjuring fake Shadows of everyone to try and break their spirits. Meanwhile Labrys is hacked into, something we do not ever see the Entity do and it's implied to be by a human being as well rather than a malicious force.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You all are missing the real news.

Dancing with your Persona.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Are those giant sexy Shadow legs behind Yu?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I know this is old news by internet standards already but my first thought upon reading about Atlus revitalizing dormant Sega IPs was Ecco: Strange Journey. It would be a game for a new generation of players who haven't experienced what it is like to have bleak underwater adventures in submarine dungeons where everything is trying to brutally murder you. Now with teleport and darkness tiles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I don't know why they don't just copy the format of Space Channel 5.